Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I love thinking about this....Casey has been selected to the Pro Bowl in each of the last five years.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    I love thinking about this....Casey has been selected to the Pro Bowl in each of the last five years.
    What else is fun to think about is this:

We essentially traded Andy Janovich our FB for a 5x Pro Bowl DL. One player we did not really need for a player we desperately needed!
    So far:
    FA- Melvin Gordon. Brandon Scherff
    1. Kenneth Murray LB; 2. Shenault WR; 2B. Biadazz Center, 3. OT

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    It's a mystery inside a riddle wrapped in a conundrum. No one knows.
    There might even be an enigma in there somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post

We essentially traded Andy Janovich our FB for a 5x Pro Bowl DL. One player we did not really need for a player we desperately needed!
    It's a deal you can not refuse!!!

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post

Was gonna say the same thing! beat me to it.

BCMB Div I - AB's Etsy Shop | BCMB FF Smackdown - Cold Feet

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon30 View Post
    Thank you, Tennessee. If you didn't pay Tannehill huge money and are probably gonna give huge money to Henry, you probably wouldn't have let us get Casey for pretty much nothing. Good deal, guys.
    They also have Simmons who they believe is ready to step in at DT

What a bargain!

Outside of the Hopkins "steal" this to me is one of the best deals in this session, and I am not always the easiest when it comes to team critiquing of our off seasons.

How come no other team offered TN a 6th?

Quote Originally Posted by lvbronx View Post
    How come no other team offered TN a 6th?
    Good question.....but also, how come no team got Hopkins for a tiny bit more?? To your question, maybe his age, and the salary implications were not perfect for them. Not sure. But I am sure glad we got him!

As someone mentioned... nagging injuries and they didn't want to pay pro bowler money for a player not playing at peak performance.

Good question.....but also, how come no team got Hopkins for a tiny bit more?? To your question, maybe his age, and the salary implications were not perfect for them. Not sure. But I am sure glad we got him!
    I had that same question about Hopkins too. Sometimes I wonder if GMs are just lazy and don't do any shopping and take the first offer they get like an impulse purchase. But I think it's a fair question, why wouldn't some team offer a 3-4?

But this situation brings up my philosophy about trading down in the draft to get more picks and use some of those picks to trade for established vets because there's often some real value, like in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by lvbronx View Post
    I had that same question about Hopkins too. Sometimes I wonder if GMs are just lazy and don't do any shopping and take the first offer they get like an impulse purchase. But I think it's a fair question, why wouldn't some team offer a 3-4?

But this situation brings up my philosophy about trading down in the draft to get more picks and use some of those picks to trade for established vets because there's often some real value, like in this case.
    Good point! Even though I am not enamoured by late picks, I should be. I love me some draft capital, and it can be used with wisdom in many ways. And in this case, a perfect way!!

And yes, if a GM does not do his homework and exercise due diligence, he will miss out on such opportunities.

I remember the year Casey came out. We had a top 5 pick, all the arguments were based around how valuable a defensive tackle actually was, and the argument was Marcell Dareus, or Nick Fairley, or no one at all. I remember loving Casey and thinking his tape at USC should of placed him in the discussion as a first round pick. I can't recall what the negatives on Casey were, but he reminded of a more explosive Brandon Mebane at the time, and he has went on to have arguably the best career of any defensive tackle from that draft.

Casey is that perfect height for a defensive tackle in where has that natural leverage at only 6'1, and is built like a bowling ball. Casey has missed only 5 games in 9 years, is 30 currently, and 2 more productive years out of him is quite realistic. Casey is a better player right now than Harris, Wolfe, or anyone else we could of got in my opinion, and despite a typical Elway band-aid slap on, it's a good one, with good value, I like it, a lot. Also, I will assume the defensive tackle free agent market for a guy like Reader was too steep to justify.

Good point! Even though I am not enamoured by late picks, I should be. I love me some draft capital, and it can be used with wisdom in many ways. And in this case, a perfect way!!

And yes, if a GM does not do his homework and exercise due diligence, he will miss out on such opportunities.
    For me it's both more draft capital and trading for vets. A couple of extra picks a year and a couple of vets to plug holes, plus your own picks is optimal. And the best way to generate draft capital is to trade down.

Here's an example. Let's say one team drafts #15 and another drafts 20 for 10 straight years. They swap picks every year and the #20 team also adds their 3rd round pick every year.

After 10 years:
    One team has 10 #20 picks PLUS 20 third round picks.

The other team has 10 #15 picks and zero 3rd round picks.

Granted this is an exaggerated example but the ratios are exactly the same if this is for a single year. There's a huge difference between trading up and losing picks and trading down and gaining picks. But I still think TN could have gotten more for Casey that what we gave up...which makes it an even better deal for us.

And Nugget fans may understand this...Masai Ujiri was our GM and did the Carmelo trade. He's considered one of the best GMs in BBall, now in Vancouver. This is due to his patience and deal making. Ujiri sat on trading Melo until he found the very best possible deal.