Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    They should be, and I would assume yes. I would imagine the backfield with feature Gordon, Lindsay, Freeman, and an undrafted rookie potentially depending on how the wide receiver group shapes up at the end of camp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    Their contracts expired, so yes.
    That's what I was thinking and I thought I saw a blurb stating that the Broncos wouldn't be persuing either of them, which is fine. Also, doh, I forgot that we won't be carrying a FB on the roster. So going with four RB's isn't out of the question.

Freeman will be a good 3rd back. Hes under his rookie contract, so no reason to dump him.

Nice, they take our 25, we take theirs.

Phillip is good, but we don't need to pay Phillip anytime soon, as I argued in another thread. We own Phillip for the foreseeable future, and this shouldn't change anything. In fact, in 2 years time if Phillip has continued to be productive, it will be the time that makes the most sense to probably extend him. Anyway, he could still get an extension, we are not abandoning him because we added another back, bu Shurmur uses the back in the passing game a lot, and Gordon is a better receiving option.
    He's a restricted free agent in 2021. My guess is we hit him with a 2nd round tender, at least. But regardless, if we don't work out a long term deal with him before then, I think he walks as a free agent. He's probably not happy we're giving Gordon 8mil a year, and he tends to hold grudges. He had to be talked into signing with Denver after the draft. We'll see what happens.

Read this and tell me he's going to be okay with being underpaid (Which anyone would be silly to argue he isn't) by his team.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...r-leaving-home
    Last edited by Letswinplz77; 03-21-2020 at 12:43 AM.
    All it takes to win is doing whatever it takes to win: COMMITMENT

Quote Originally Posted by Letswinplz77 View Post
    He's a restricted free agent in 2021. My guess is we hit him with a 2nd round tender, at least. But regardless, if we don't work out a long term deal with him before then, I think he walks as a free agent. He's probably not happy we're giving Gordon 8mil a year, and he tends to hold grudges. He had to be talked into signing with Denver after the draft. We'll see what happens.

Read this and tell me he's going to be okay with being underpaid (Which anyone would be silly to argue he isn't) by his team.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...r-leaving-home
    You understand how the restricted free agent system works right ? We can tender him for up to 3 years I believe with a variety of tags which keep him in town owning his rights. As stated we own Lindsey for the foreseeable future, we have ALL the leverage.

Don't get me wrong, I agree he is underpaid, and I don't want to take this approach, but those are the facts. The facts also are that there is not one example of a guy holding out after 2 seasons, or even 3 at the running back position and getting what they want, not into the season like people fear.

One would argue that our new running back Mr. Gordon held out and it negatively affected him in the long-term, and he was more highly sought after when he did so, no trade was made, and no demands were given into.

Running backs just don't have the leverage to make these kind of power plays, and in general they usually don't work. Worrying about these things is a fan created issue, that if it came down to it, the Broncos would likely get exactly what they want. Maybe his new team mate Melvin can fill him in the process of how this all works. I hope we re-sign Phillip anyway, but these points people talk about are completely non-issues.

Elway stated 2x now, he would be looking at Phillips contract, he might be getting raise soon anyhow, so all this banter is probably .....nonsensensical :-)

Quote Originally Posted by skeeter01 View Post
    Elway stated 2x now, he would be looking at Phillips contract, he might be getting raise soon anyhow, so all this banter is probably .....nonsensensical :-)
    That isn't the point really. Regardless, the conversation is that in the case it doesn't happen, Denver have all the leverage to own Phillip for essentially 3 more years if they like, without Phillip being able to do a thing about it besides sitting out. We are no where near that or that conversation, so I agree fans being concerned for that like they have expressed in other threads also after Lindsay has played 2 years is in fact, nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by nickmeyer View Post
    Phillip still needs paid is why I'm scratching my head.
    Philip is locked in for two years... this is a two year contract...

I honestly think Lindsay gets paid after this year. Either by us or a team willing to part with whatever round pick we tender him at. Beyond that, teams only get one tag per year, so using it on a RB might not be prudent if there are other spots we need to use it on, say, for instance, Von Miller for a year, or who knows who.

I honestly think Lindsay gets paid after this year. Either by us or a team willing to part with whatever round pick we tender him at. Beyond that, teams only get one tag per year, so using it on a RB might not be prudent if there are other spots we need to use it on, say, for instance, Von Miller for a year, or who knows who.
    With Von Millers age and declining impact, I don't see him ever again receiving the franchise tag. He is kind of getting to the point where yeah, you love to have him, but you could argue he is overpaid, declining, and if he wants to go, then go. I agree with no wanting to use tags on running backs though, however Elway drafted so poorly for so many years there, we don't have anyone coming up who we will need to potentially use it on. Simmons might be the only guy who extends his time in Denver from a period of 3 or 4 draft classes.

The issue will be if Chubb continues to develop, becomes that elite guy, we may need to franchise him down the road, but it is a long way down the road. We have Chubb locked up for 3 more seasons if we use the 5th year option, which we will, and then that eliminates the concern again for keeping Lindsay around with tags if it came down to that.

Also, I would assume Lindsay would be tendered at the highest possible value considering his first 2 seasons in the league, and hopefully another good year coming up. That would be roughly 4.5 million dollars for one season if no one came and tried to scoop him up, which I doubt they would as the cost would be a first round pick, which honestly, would be a great deal for the Broncos if in 3 years they flipped an undrafted player for a top 32 selection.

In this situation we would still have the right to match any offer Phillip received, and when you look at how the free agent running back market is again shaping up, it's not an attractive marketplace for these guys, again, I wouldn't be concerned. You have Gurley signing for 6 million for one season. Gordon signing for 8 million per year for two years, and Howard signing for 5 million per season for two years. Long-term contracts wont be handed out to guys unless they are elite game changers.

Question, when has a restricted free agent running back ever been signed long-term by another team, while also giving up the tendered price tag ? The only one I can find dating back a few years now is Mike Gillislee who was tendered at his original draft positioning and the Patriots signed him to an offer sheet which the Bills didn't match.

With Von Millers age and declining impact, I don't see him ever again receiving the franchise tag. He is kind of getting to the point where yeah, you love to have him, but you could argue he is overpaid, declining, and if he wants to go, then go. I agree with no wanting to use tags on running backs though, however Elway drafted so poorly for so many years there, we don't have anyone coming up who we will need to potentially use it on. Simmons might be the only guy who extends his time in Denver from a period of 3 or 4 draft classes.

The issue will be if Chubb continues to develop, becomes that elite guy, we may need to franchise him down the road, but it is a long way down the road. We have Chubb locked up for 3 more seasons if we use the 5th year option, which we will, and then that eliminates the concern again for keeping Lindsay around with tags if it came down to that.

Also, I would assume Lindsay would be tendered at the highest possible value considering his first 2 seasons in the league, and hopefully another good year coming up. That would be roughly 4.5 million dollars for one season if no one came and tried to scoop him up, which I doubt they would as the cost would be a first round pick, which honestly, would be a great deal for the Broncos if in 3 years they flipped an undrafted player for a top 32 selection.

In this situation we would still have the right to match any offer Phillip received, and when you look at how the free agent running back market is again shaping up, it's not an attractive marketplace for these guys, again, I wouldn't be concerned. You have Gurley signing for 6 million for one season. Gordon signing for 8 million per year for two years, and Howard signing for 5 million per season for two years. Long-term contracts wont be handed out to guys unless they are elite game changers.
    Agreed. Only way I see Lindsay snatched for a 1st rounder is if a team picking 30, 31, 32 believes elevating their running game would put them over the top. But I actually can't fathom a situation where a team wouldn't just believe they could get similar production from a 3rd round back or free agent. Anyway, we shall see what we shall see.

Question, when has a restricted free agent running back ever been signed long-term by another team, while also giving up the tendered price tag ? The only one I can find dating back a few years now is Mike Gillislee who was tendered at his original draft positioning and the Patriots signed him to an offer sheet which the Bills didn't match.
    Yeah, i have zero recollection of anyone. Running backs are just to plentiful out of college for anyone to actually give up a pick AND pony up new contract. Not in today's age of airing it out every down.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Freeman will be a good 3rd back. He’s under his rookie contract, so no reason to dump him.
    yea I agree. I understand it may suck from his perspective to play that role but it is great for the Broncos to keep a back like him at a cap hit just over 300k of the lowest on the team. Cap wise at a 500k dead cap hit it would actually cost of more money if Freeman did not play for the Broncos in 2020 considering the lowest cap hit seems to be 675k right now.

Also very nice for us to have Freeman in the 3 spot as he will get reps and he will probably move to 2 spot one or two times this season.

Agreed. Only way I see Lindsay snatched for a 1st rounder is if a team picking 30, 31, 32 believes elevating their running game would put them over the top. But I actually can't fathom a situation where a team wouldn't just believe they could get similar production from a 3rd round back or free agent. Anyway, we shall see what we shall see.
    Yeah, even in that situation I think it is extremely unlikely to happen. I also think in any given year you probably evaluate those 1st and 2nd round backs as potentially better long-term options, and even short-term options than Lindsay. Like, Lindsay is a quality back, he had 2 really good seasons, but he isn't that guy you lean on to take over the game and lead a team as the key cog offensively.

It's probably not nice as he is a home town kid, and he is one of few players I am personally a fan of, but salary cap wise, I would just make him play on a small salary the next 2 years, and then potentially let him go. Running backs just don't produce into their second long-term contract, and Lindsay has a lot of carries on his legs already.

Maybe offer him a 2 year deal now worth 3.5 million per year for the next 2 years, if he says no, well then just wait until he is completely unrestricted and let the market determine his value. That is an increase in pay for this season, it offsets some of the 1st round tender dollars he will get next year, and he becomes unrestricted at the same point. It's a small way to take care of him, but not really hurting the cap at all. If he says no, well then he can play for less over the next 2 years anyway.