Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Letswinplz77 View Post
    He's a restricted free agent in 2021. My guess is we hit him with a 2nd round tender, at least. But regardless, if we don't work out a long term deal with him before then, I think he walks as a free agent. He's probably not happy we're giving Gordon 8mil a year, and he tends to hold grudges. He had to be talked into signing with Denver after the draft. We'll see what happens.

Read this and tell me he's going to be okay with being underpaid (Which anyone would be silly to argue he isn't) by his team.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...r-leaving-home
    In response to Lindsay's ability to be happy or sad....I hope he has someone in his corner whom he trusts. I hope they tell him that RB is a tough position in the NFL to be getting paid. Do not take it personal or else he may lose the same opportunity CHJr and Gordon passed on to get paid.

Best thing to do is to express one's value statement (for NFL players this is how they prepare and execute) and when it comes to the contract the lucky thing for NFL players is they have agents for all that. No need to have feelings about it for the NFL player.

I wouldn’t worry too much about Lindsay, this will just add to the chip on his shoulder. Gordon may start out as the bell cow but Lindsay is going to push him and they’ll bring the best out of each other. Plus both will be FAs at the same time so this doesn’t look like it was done to replace him, at the most maybe to keep his value down. Also Gordon mentioned them being on the field at the same time which I think will be a very potent package because a LB is going to have to cover one of Fant, Gordon, or Lindsay and that’s a mismatch. If they go light for coverage it opens up the running game.

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    I wouldn’t worry too much about Lindsay, this will just add to the chip on his shoulder. Gordon may start out as the bell cow but Lindsay is going to push him and they’ll bring the best out of each other. Plus both will be FAs at the same time so this doesn’t look like it was done to replace him, at the most maybe to keep his value down. Also Gordon mentioned them being on the field at the same time which I think will be a very potent package because a LB is going to have to cover one of Fant, Gordon, or Lindsay and that’s a mismatch. If they go light for coverage it opens up the running game.
    It's interesting that you didn't name the person most affected by this singing - Freeman. Where does he go from here? He was the bell cow back. Obviously, the front office doesn't think that Freeman is the real deal at this level.

Quote Originally Posted by GMTD View Post
    It's interesting that you didn't name the person most affected by this singing - Freeman. Where does he go from here? He was the bell cow back. Obviously, the front office doesn't think that Freeman is the real deal at this level.
    Stphen Jackson, McCoy, Cook, and Barkley...these are Shurmur RBs and the reason we went out and got Gordon imo. Shurmur likes bell cow, not platoon guys. If I was a betting man, my money would be on Lindsay being the one dealt (and he has value in a trade) and Freeman maintaining #2 spot on depth chart pending draft (where we may take another RB and push him down to 3rd spot).
    Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Quote Originally Posted by MHSalute View Post
    Stphen Jackson, McCoy, Cook, and Barkley...these are Shurmur RBs and the reason we went out and got Gordon imo. Shurmur likes bell cow, not platoon guys. If I was a betting man, my money would be on Lindsay being the one dealt (and he has value in a trade) and Freeman maintaining #2 spot on depth chart pending draft (where we may take another RB and push him down to 3rd spot).
    Interesting take. We shall see.

Shurmur also had a lot of success with Jerrick McKinnon and Latavius Murray.

Quote Originally Posted by GMTD View Post
    He had 92 carries less than Lindsay last season, I think he was more the change of pace. I think Freeman still has a role. He still catches the ball well out of the backfield. He’s too cheap to cut and there’s probably very low trade value so we might as well keep him unless someone beats him out.

Yeah...I disagree. If Lindsey was a scat back then, yeah, I would agree with you. But he has the vision and body control to be a deadly runner inside, even making up for mistakes in (or just poor) run blocking. Despite his size he doesn't play like a small RB. And Freeman isn't as effective as Lindsey is running inside as weird as that is. What we needed was someone to take the load off Lindsey so he could play fresh all game because Freeman turned out not to be it. The Offense simply is not as good with Freeman in as it is with Lindsey in because Freeman has been Just A Guy so far. Gordon looks like the real deal though. I am picturing both Gordon and Lindsey staying around 15-ish rushes a game depending on who gets the hot hand....and it looks pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    Shurmur also had a lot of success with Jerrick McKinnon and Latavius Murray.
    He inherited those guys, but drafted Cook who got hurt. Also forgot Trent Richardson was drafted by Clev on his watch. I just think he is a bell cow, dual threat RB type guy. Do not think Phillip fits that and his receiving chops leave a little to be desired also.

Just a gut feel on this is all

He inherited those guys, but drafted Cook who got hurt. Also forgot Trent Richardson was drafted by Clev on his watch. I just think he is a bell cow, dual threat RB type guy. Do not think Phillip fits that and his receiving chops leave a little to be desired also.

If Gordon takes off and ends up driving the O then that's great. If that's the case then I'd rather have Lindsey relieving him than Freeman.

They signed Murray the same year they drafted Cook. I think Shurmur likes having a RB that can do it all, but if he has multiple guys I think he definitely knows how to utilize them. And I do believe we’ll see Gordon and Lindsay on the field a good bit. A 5 wide look with the option to shift into another formation or attack whichever LB follows them out. Lindsay may not be a good route runner or have the most natural hands but he can outrun a LB on a cross or a streak as can Gordon who can also create separation through his routes.

I believe Lindsay is a better receiver than he's shown so far. Remember last year he was recovering from the same wrist injury that pretty much ended Shane Ray's career. I hope it's fully healed for him. If not, that may be an issue. If you watch his Jr year at CU he was a really good out of the backfield.

Why do they need to trade either of the RBs?

Neither Lindsey or Freeman is making significant salary. Lindsey should arguably get a one year bonus due to his contributions and the first one with a new contract next season. And what exactly would you expect back in trade?

Depth is a good thing and carrying three RBs is expected. And they will all get their chances to shine over the course of a long season. Compete and earn your touches. Gordon needs to prove himself after his very average season last year IMO.

I was thinking that they should grab another one. Say a later round pick that Shurmur thinks would fit what he wants. Go ahead and roll the dice. See what he can do in training camp. If nothing else push Freeman with competition and see what happens.

I'm not trying to push anyone out the door, this is just what history has shown us about a Shurmur RB room. Most of the time he has used a single back for 65-75% of the offensive snaps. When he has not had "that guy" on the roster, a RB has been taken fairly early in the draft and become that guy.

What 70% of the snaps by RB1 means for RB2 is about 65-90 rushing plays. So on paper, it looks like Gordon is the guy and Lindsay is looking at a share of #2 duties. Jerrick McKinnon and Latavius Murray got about 3 carries a game each, McKinnon a couple pass targets. Sproles was able to carve out a nice 30% snap count for himself behind MCcoy, but do not think Lindsay is the receiving weapon Sproles was, who sometimes lined up at WR.

None of this may apply to our RB room. M y original point was that out of the 3 RBs we have now, PL is the least prototypical Shurmur back.
    Last edited by MHSalute; 03-21-2020 at 11:29 PM.