Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Melvin Gordan is a Bronco...???

So 16mil on a 2 year deal. Hmmmm...

BREAKING: Broncos and RB Melvin Gordon have agreed to terms on a two-year deal worth $16M. (via @RapSheet) https://t.co/aFk3pX8pzI

Yep we have a nice 1 1 punch at RB!!

Quote Originally Posted by nickmeyer View Post
    So 16mil on a 2 year deal. Hmmmm...

BREAKING: Broncos and RB Melvin Gordon have agreed to terms on a two-year deal worth $16M. (via @RapSheet) https://t.co/aFk3pX8pzI
    I think this is a reach IMO. This is what I'm afraid is going to happen at other positions. They will take anyone they can find, regardless of skill and fit.

Quote Originally Posted by darryn16 View Post
    I think this is a reach IMO. This is what I'm afraid is going to happen at other positions. They will take anyone they can find, regardless of skill and fit.
    Signing a receiver who's a good pass catcher to play for an OC who loves to use his RBs in the passing game. What is missing for you in skill/fit?

I don't love this move, but I don't hate it either. Denver added an RB who gives them a reliable target, along with a guy who averaged 4.8 yards per carry against 8+ men boxes and has 47 touchdowns in 4 years. That's an upgrade over what Denver had.

Phillip still needs paid is why I'm scratching my head.

Quote Originally Posted by nickmeyer View Post
    Phillip still needs paid is why I'm scratching my head.
    Phillip is good, but we don't need to pay Phillip anytime soon, as I argued in another thread. We own Phillip for the foreseeable future, and this shouldn't change anything. In fact, in 2 years time if Phillip has continued to be productive, it will be the time that makes the most sense to probably extend him. Anyway, he could still get an extension, we are not abandoning him because we added another back, bu Shurmur uses the back in the passing game a lot, and Gordon is a better receiving option.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    Phillip is good, but we don't need to pay Phillip anytime soon, as I argued in another thread. We own Phillip for the foreseeable future, and this shouldn't change anything. In fact, in 2 years time if Phillip has continued to be productive, it will be the time that makes the most sense to probably extend him. Anyway, he could still get an extension, we are not abandoning him because we added another back, bu Shurmur uses the back in the passing game a lot, and Gordon is a better receiving option.
    If you don't take care of Lindsay then why would any other UDFA sign with us knowing that if they out-perform their contract on an historic level that it won't matter? Other players and agents are watching. A big aspect of situations like this is marketing to other players.

Then there's also the impact Phil has in the local area. He's a tremendous asset to the Broncos off the field in the community. It's almost always cheaper to sign a player a year or two before you have to if you want to save money and cap long term.

Quote Originally Posted by lvbronx View Post
    If you don't take care of Lindsay then why would any other UDFA sign with us knowing that if they out-perform their contract on an historic level that it won't matter? Other players and agents are watching. A big aspect of situations like this is marketing to other players.

Then there's also the impact Phil has in the local area. He's a tremendous asset to the Broncos off the field in the community. It's almost always cheaper to sign a player a year or two before you have to if you want to save money and cap long term.
    I think it will have zero impact on UDFAs looking to sign in Denver. The reason they look to Denver is because the Broncos give them an honest chance to not only make the team, but start if they earn it. Denver has a storied history of that.

Lindsay also isn't a free agent for 2 more years (I know he's an RFA next year, but not a true UFA until 2021) so Denver has no real need to give him more money right now. They went out of their way to mention they'd look at it, but they really don't have to.

Everyone needs to relax on Lindsey. It's the first week of the season. He may see some more $$ before the summer hits!!

Your concerns are unwarranted, and it's nothing more than fan worry, it's not at all a reality. It is uncharted waters to extend an undrafted rookie player after just 2 seasons, and most guys have to wait until after 4 to get their payday anyway, no other player is going to feel sorry for Phillip having to wait just like everyone else, they don't care about the "feel good" story either. Markets are set based off of comparable transactions, and with none comparable for an agent to lean on or reference in terms of undrafted guys getting early extensions, no one is batting an eye lid if Phillip has to wait even 2 more years for a contract extension. Also, you really believe a rookie, a guy who just went undrafted, isn't going to jump at any opportunity in the NFL because of what may have happened a few years ago ? You are dreaming. Undrafted guys sometimes have options, and if potential playing time and a little more money is on offer, they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    He's a restricted free agent in 2021. My guess is we hit him with a 2nd round tender, at least. But regardless, if we don't work out a long term deal with him before then, I think he walks as a free agent. He's probably not happy we're giving Gordon 8mil a year, and he tends to hold grudges. He had to be talked into signing with Denver after the draft. We'll see what happens.

Read this and tell me he's going to be okay with being underpaid (Which anyone would be silly to argue he isn't) by his team.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...r-leaving-home
    Last edited by Letswinplz77; 03-21-2020 at 12:43 AM.
    All it takes to win is doing whatever it takes to win: COMMITMENT

Quote Originally Posted by Letswinplz77 View Post
    He's a restricted free agent in 2021. My guess is we hit him with a 2nd round tender, at least. But regardless, if we don't work out a long term deal with him before then, I think he walks as a free agent. He's probably not happy we're giving Gordon 8mil a year, and he tends to hold grudges. He had to be talked into signing with Denver after the draft. We'll see what happens.

Read this and tell me he's going to be okay with being underpaid (Which anyone would be silly to argue he isn't) by his team.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...r-leaving-home
    In response to Lindsay's ability to be happy or sad....I hope he has someone in his corner whom he trusts. I hope they tell him that RB is a tough position in the NFL to be getting paid. Do not take it personal or else he may lose the same opportunity CHJr and Gordon passed on to get paid.

Best thing to do is to express one's value statement (for NFL players this is how they prepare and execute) and when it comes to the contract the lucky thing for NFL players is they have agents for all that. No need to have feelings about it for the NFL player.

This is great!

Really? Gordon? ugh

I love the move, he plays with a lot more power than Gurley does. Lindsay won't be affected with this, he'll still give us 1100 all purpose yards and 7-10 tds