Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jack View Post
    I think it's good, We take him away from the Chargers. And maybe he'll play hard for us, so he can stick it to the Chargers!!!!

Reports are that he took a lesser deal in Denver to be able to play the Chargers twice per year.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    Phillip is good, but we don't need to pay Phillip anytime soon, as I argued in another thread. We own Phillip for the foreseeable future, and this shouldn't change anything. In fact, in 2 years time if Phillip has continued to be productive, it will be the time that makes the most sense to probably extend him. Anyway, he could still get an extension, we are not abandoning him because we added another back, bu Shurmur uses the back in the passing game a lot, and Gordon is a better receiving option.
    If you don't take care of Lindsay then why would any other UDFA sign with us knowing that if they out-perform their contract on an historic level that it won't matter? Other players and agents are watching. A big aspect of situations like this is marketing to other players.

Then there's also the impact Phil has in the local area. He's a tremendous asset to the Broncos off the field in the community. It's almost always cheaper to sign a player a year or two before you have to if you want to save money and cap long term.

Lindsay will be a RFA next year. We can essentially keep him for another year unless another team is willing to give us a good draft pick for him.

Details of Gordon contract are not available but that is a big part of if the signing was good or not. Reports have 13.5 of the 16 mil guaranteed.

The upside to me is while they have different styles of play they both can fill in for the same roles in the offense allowing a smooth offensive scheme no matter which RB is in the game. That is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    Reports are that he took a lesser deal in Denver to be able to play the Chargers twice per year.
    A couple days ago, I still thought he was going to get closer to 10 avg, and otherwise sign a 4 year contract with a lot guaranteed. I'm sure that's at least what he was asking for. I don't know about the "bellcow" rumors I'm hearing, and 8 is still a bit high for a guy who's not, but for only 2 years, it's not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by lvbronx View Post
    If you don't take care of Lindsay then why would any other UDFA sign with us knowing that if they out-perform their contract on an historic level that it won't matter? Other players and agents are watching. A big aspect of situations like this is marketing to other players.

Then there's also the impact Phil has in the local area. He's a tremendous asset to the Broncos off the field in the community. It's almost always cheaper to sign a player a year or two before you have to if you want to save money and cap long term.
    I think it will have zero impact on UDFAs looking to sign in Denver. The reason they look to Denver is because the Broncos give them an honest chance to not only make the team, but start if they earn it. Denver has a storied history of that.

Lindsay also isn't a free agent for 2 more years (I know he's an RFA next year, but not a true UFA until 2021) so Denver has no real need to give him more money right now. They went out of their way to mention they'd look at it, but they really don't have to.

I really like the move. Gordon is an incredible short yardage player especially around the goal line. He’s also a very underrated route runner out of the backfield. The way he sells and snaps his angle routes(all routes really) makes LBs look absolutely silly. He’s a RB that can operate out in the slot so I can definitely see Gordon and Lindsay on the field at the same time and if Lindsay can improve his receiving ability they can become a nightmare to defend when they’re both out there especially when you add in that they’re both willing blockers and physical players.

Everyone needs to relax on Lindsey. It's the first week of the season. He may see some more $$ before the summer hits!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spice 1 View Post
    A couple days ago, I still thought he was going to get closer to 10 avg, and otherwise sign a 4 year contract with a lot guaranteed. I'm sure that's at least what he was asking for. I don't know about the "bellcow" rumors I'm hearing, and 8 is still a bit high for a guy who's not, but for only 2 years, it's not bad.
    I don't think the breakdown will be 8 mil. If 13.5 is guaranteed, that will break down to 6.25 mil with incentives. We'll have to wait and see.

I don't really think that Phillip Lindsay can carry the load by himself? We needed another RB.

Salary seems a bit high but I don't know what the free agent market is like for RB's right now. We did need a more impactful RB on the roster. The running game just has not been the same when Lindsey needs a breather, and I mean that it's very noticeable. Freeman looks like JAG. Sign Gordon, take a chance on a RB later in the draft and plop him on the Practice Squad. Take Lindsey/Gordon/Freeman into the season.

Your concerns are unwarranted, and it's nothing more than fan worry, it's not at all a reality. It is uncharted waters to extend an undrafted rookie player after just 2 seasons, and most guys have to wait until after 4 to get their payday anyway, no other player is going to feel sorry for Phillip having to wait just like everyone else, they don't care about the "feel good" story either. Markets are set based off of comparable transactions, and with none comparable for an agent to lean on or reference in terms of undrafted guys getting early extensions, no one is batting an eye lid if Phillip has to wait even 2 more years for a contract extension. Also, you really believe a rookie, a guy who just went undrafted, isn't going to jump at any opportunity in the NFL because of what may have happened a few years ago ? You are dreaming. Undrafted guys sometimes have options, and if potential playing time and a little more money is on offer, they will come.

Are Booker and Riddick gone? I haven't looked to check for sure but I thought I saw a blurb stating that the Broncos were moving on from both of them.

They should be, and I would assume yes. I would imagine the backfield with feature Gordon, Lindsay, Freeman, and an undrafted rookie potentially depending on how the wide receiver group shapes up at the end of camp.

Unlike a lot so far I absolutely love this signing.

This guy is going to be juiced to play. He is a great pass catching back and he has under rated power in his run game. If he can stay healthy this guy is a legit weapon.

The fact that he can be rotated elongates both the backs careers and stamina.

It also is going to allow us to stockpile other positions in the draft where RB may not have been deep enough.

This team is getting better and I love the veteran leadership they have been bringing in.
    Wanting to win does not make you a winner. Refusing to fail does.

Quote Originally Posted by listopencil View Post
    Are Booker and Riddick gone? I haven't looked to check for sure but I thought I saw a blurb stating that the Broncos were moving on from both of them.
    Their contracts expired, so yes.