Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9
Results 121 to 130 of 130
  1. #121
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    4,572
    I'm not 100% convinced Gordon is the better back. He's better on 3rd and as a pass catcher. But as far as running the ball Taz averages almost a yard per carry more for their careers.

    IMO Gordon is the favorite to be the #1 guy but Taz isn't someone I'd automatically count out either. Lindsay being angry at us signing Gordon then turning his focus to competing is vintage Lindsay. Plus...Taz was a pretty good receiver at CU his Jr year. I wonder how much his wrist injury hurt him last year...it was pretty much the same injury that ended Shane Ray's career.

  2. #122
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5,278
    Shane ray sucking ended Shane Ray's career. Didnt do much here. Did squat while with baltimore. Wrist was fine there and when we cut him. He just wasnt very good.

  3. #123
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    the gulf of mexico
    Posts
    16,555
    Quote Originally Posted by lvbronx View Post
    I'm not 100% convinced Gordon is the better back. He's better on 3rd and as a pass catcher. But as far as running the ball Taz averages almost a yard per carry more for their careers.

    IMO Gordon is the favorite to be the #1 guy but Taz isn't someone I'd automatically count out either. Lindsay being angry at us signing Gordon then turning his focus to competing is vintage Lindsay. Plus...Taz was a pretty good receiver at CU his Jr year. I wonder how much his wrist injury hurt him last year...it was pretty much the same injury that ended Shane Ray's career.
    Gordonís ypc numbers are deceiving. When you look at his splits they compare pretty well to most RBs. Or at least Iíd assume so, Iíve only looked at how he compared to Lindsay.

    Lindsay:
    1-3 yards - 2.8
    4-6 yards - 3.5
    7-9 yards - 4.2
    10+ yards - 5.6

    Gordon:
    1-3 yards - 2.8
    4-6 yards - 3.7
    7-9 yards - 5.2
    10+ yards - 4.2

    Fairly similar numbers with Lindsay getting a .2 edge. I do think Lindsay has had a better run blocking oline but on the flip side Gordon has had Rivers to take some pressure off the run game in theory.

    Either way I donít think thereís much of a drop off if any between the two which is a big boon to the offense because there was a considerable drop off between Lindsay and Freeman.

    On the topic of Freeman, I donít think heís a bad RB either he just needs a little extra time to get a head of steam where as Lindsay can make things happen in a hurry due to his explosion. Gordon is more explosive than Freeman and less than Lindsay but I think heís better at manipulating defenders to get his own space. I think Gordon will probably fall somewhere between 4.2 and 4.6 ypc this year. Lindsay will still probably end up higher than that though.
    Last edited by beastlyskronk; 06-25-2020 at 08:49 AM.

  4. #124
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    4,572
    Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    Shane ray sucking ended Shane Ray's career. Didnt do much here. Did squat while with baltimore. Wrist was fine there and when we cut him. He just wasnt very good.
    No. Ray's wrist was never "fine" after the injury. But the point is Lindsay had the same injury and it is a serious injury and not about Ray.

  5. #125
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    4,572
    Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    Gordon’s ypc numbers are deceiving. When you look at his splits they compare pretty well to most RBs. Or at least I’d assume so, I’ve only looked at how he compared to Lindsay.

    Lindsay:
    1-3 yards - 2.8
    4-6 yards - 3.5
    7-9 yards - 4.2
    10+ yards - 5.6

    Gordon:
    1-3 yards - 2.8
    4-6 yards - 3.7
    7-9 yards - 5.2
    10+ yards - 4.2

    Fairly similar numbers with Lindsay getting a .2 edge. I do think Lindsay has had a better run blocking oline but on the flip side Gordon has had Rivers to take some pressure off the run game in theory.

    Either way I don’t think there’s much of a drop off if any between the two which is a big boon to the offense because there was a considerable drop off between Lindsay and Freeman.

    On the topic of Freeman, I don’t think he’s a bad RB either he just needs a little extra time to get a head of steam where as Lindsay can make things happen in a hurry due to his explosion. Gordon is more explosive than Freeman and less than Lindsay but I think he’s better at manipulating defenders to get his own space. I think Gordon will probably fall somewhere between 4.2 and 4.6 ypc this year. Lindsay will still probably end up higher than that though.
    Lindsay 4.9 ypc for his career
    Gordon 4.0

    My point being that some are saying Gordon has already won the job. I'd say Gordon's biggest advantage is his contract, but Lindsay is the last person I would ever count out. I'd set the odds of being #1 RB at about Lindsay at +275 and Gordon at -30 or so.

  6. #126
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    2,995
    Looking at Shurmur's recent comments, I think it's safe to say that he understands the talents of both Gordon and Lindsay, and they will split time as 1A/1B backs instead of a bellcow vs. backup relationship. Instead of framing Gordon's addition as him taking Lindsay's spot, let's readjust our perspective to Gordon being an upgrade over Freeman-- which he is. In terms of skill-set, I see Gordon as being a necessary back in our backfield. He is simply a better pass catcher than Lindsay and a better blocker than Freeman. The amusing thing I noticed last season was that, despite their body types and playing styles, Freeman was leaned on in the receiving game more than Lindsay, and Lindsay was a much more dependable pass blocker than Freeman. Gordon brings steady talent to those two important aspects of being a RB in today's NFL. He may not have the best YPC and he does struggle with ball security, but I have faith in Shurmur to maximize Gordon's abilities while keeping the backfield stable fresh by giving Lindsay his fair share of touches.
    2014 Adopt-A-Bronco: #43 T.J. WARD & #38 QUINTON CARTER
    2013 Adopt-A-Bronco: #25 CHRIS HARRIS

  7. #127
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    31,578
    Except for QB and T, the offensive positions are deep headed into TC.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

  8. #128
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5,278
    Quote Originally Posted by lvbronx View Post
    No. Ray's wrist was never "fine" after the injury. But the point is Lindsay had the same injury and it is a serious injury and not about Ray.
    Quote Originally Posted by lvbronx View Post
    Lindsay 4.9 ypc for his career
    Gordon 4.0

    My point being that some are saying Gordon has already won the job. I'd say Gordon's biggest advantage is his contract, but Lindsay is the last person I would ever count out. I'd set the odds of being #1 RB at about Lindsay at +275 and Gordon at -30 or so.

    Ill disagree with you twice.
    Shane Ray and Lindsay being the 1a
    So far:
    FA- Melvin Gordon. Brandon Scherff
    1. Kenneth Murray LB; 2. Shenault WR; 2B. Biadazz Center, 3. OT

  9. #129
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Eastern Seaboard
    Posts
    3,507
    I hope we have a great 1-2 punch in our running game.

  10. #130
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    4,572
    Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    Ill disagree with you twice.
    Shane Ray and Lindsay being the 1a
    Define 1a? 40% of the combined carries between the two? And how can you disagree when I never made a pick and only set the odds?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •