Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nick Vannett

I do not like his cap hits of 2 mil this year and 3.5 mil next year for a guy with his limited resume but if he can stay healthy and block allowing Fant to run more routes we will all be happy he is here.

https://overthecap.com/player/nick-vannett/4807/

Hauerman. Miller;5877622]https://www.milehighreport.com/2020/...-two-year-deal[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Hadez View Post
    I do not like his cap hits of 2 mil this year and 3.5 mil next year for a guy with his limited resume but if he can stay healthy and block allowing Fant to run more routes we will all be happy he is here.

I'm confused, based on how klis Twitter post read it was front loaded contract not reverse. If it is and the 2nd yr is not guaranteed at all then I'm all for it. Definitely a much better blocker than Hauerman. And a cheaper option.

Nick Vannet

Last edited by colowoz; 03-21-2020 at 04:43 PM.

This is the first move I haven't liked this offseason

I don't know much about him. I assume he's a blocking TE. If that's correct and he's a big blocking TE, I'm okay with it, because it will help both outside runs and pass pro. And it will hopefully mean less Fant in blocking.

If he's supposed to be a skilled TE, I'm not sure I like it.

Yep, big TE known for his blocking. And he's probably taking Heuerman's roster spot.

https://www.milehighreport.com/2020/...-two-year-deal

Fant for catching the ball, Vannet for blocking, Beck and/or Fort for doing both.

Quote Originally Posted by Hadez View Post

I like the aspect of having a TE who's strictly known for his blocking. That will help both the run game and pass pro. And it frees Fant up to just catch the football.

Fant as the receiver, Vannet as the blocker, Fort and Beck around to do both of those and play special teams. I assume with no FB they will keep 4 TEs.

At 6' 6' 260+ lbs he is a people mover. Hasn't caused many penalties and has only missed two games in three seasons.

You know what narrative I'm kinda tired of? When people say Fant isnt a good blocker.
    I'm a Hawkeyes fan and I can tell you that you dont get to see the field in Iowas system if you cant block as a TE

Is he as good as Hockenson (the other Iowa TE he kept getting compared to during the draft)? No but he is more than willing and more than capable

Elway had a trend every season in his FA acquisitions... This year he's going for availability.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangecrush21 View Post
    You know what narrative I'm kinda tired of? When people say Fant isnt a good blocker.
    I'm a Hawkeyes fan and I can tell you that you dont get to see the field in Iowas system if you cant block as a TE

Is he as good as Hockenson (the other Iowa TE he kept getting compared to during the draft)? No but he is more than willing and more than capable
    I'm not insinuating he's not a good blocker (although he did struggle at times last year, although that was as a rookie) for me if they're going to play 2 TE, and they're keeping 1 in to block, I'd rather it be a guy who's sole job is blocking. Fant is going to be too good of a receiver to keep him in for pass protection too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Zealander View Post
    Elway had a trend every season in his FA acquisitions... This year he's going for availability.
    True statement
    Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Quote Originally Posted by Orangecrush21 View Post

Being willing and capable doesn't equal good. So many drivers were killed last year by poor blocking by fant. Asking fant to block was a terrible idea. He was given the chance and shown he has a long way to go.

Adopted Broncos:
    (2011-2013) Eric Decker
    (2014-2018) Bradley Roby
    (2019-Current) Drew Lock
    Adopted posters:
    Everyone

I question the move, only because of who they already have. Fant should improve in his second year. Being from Wisconsin, they really need to give Fumagalli a chance. He can block and catch and I believe he would make a great 1-2 punch with Fant.