Elway the Magician!

Heres another mock from the mind of Kwhit. Im bored outta my mind and love everything Broncos, so if I crank out 1 of these a day, bare with me. Love looking at different scenarios, check this one out!

Remainder of FA:
    I have us sitting at around 9-10 million in cap space currently. That is including Glasgows contract, whos details remain top secret for some reason. Therefore I dont see Elway doing much more in FA. But he will make a couple bargain signings.

QB Brandon Allen (1 yr vet min)
    Rumors are were bringing him back, I say why not at this price?

DT Ethan Westbrooks (1 yr 850k)
    This guy is quality depth and a great rotational player. Harris wont waiver on his demands and Wolfe gets signed elsewhere.

So heading into the draft lets call it an even 10 million in cap space.

I think John has a couple more tricks up his sleeve, lets see that trick!

Draft;
    Elway has 2 main targets heading into draft day (Isaiah Simmons, and Henry Ruggs) Simmons goes top 5 and after failing to trade up for Ruggs, hes gone top 10. So Elway waits for his consolation prize (Kinlaw) BUT he gets snatched up right in front of us, leaving Johnny scrambling.

Phone rings, its the Patriots, who are in love with Jordan Love and desperately want to move up. Elway pulls a trade down deal;

Patriots get;
    2020 1st (#15), TE Jeff Heurman
    He just seems like a Belicheck TE, and frees up 5 mill in cap for us.

Broncos get;
    2020 1st (#23), 2020 3rd (#87), WR Julian Edelman, 2021 mid-round pick to be named later.
    Wow, John gets one of the best slot guys in the league on a cheap cap hit. Edelman isnt what he used to be, but hes still legit and at a 7 million cap hit, a bargain. Good 1-2 year rental.

1. (#23) WR Tee Higgins (Clemson)
    We complete Locks Arsenal here with the best jump ball wr in this draft. Higgins and Sutton on the outside with Edelman and Hamilton working inside us ridiculous. Shurmur loves 3 WR sets, we need 3 good WRs.

*Trade up
    John has another player on his board that he wants desperately so he calls his ole buddy John Lynch at the #31 pick.

49ers get;
    2020 2nd (#46)
    2020 3rd (#77)

Broncos get;
    2020 1st (#31)

1. (#31) LB Patrick Queen (LSU)
    Elway remains aggressive and finally gets what weve needed for years, a LB who can cover the Kelces, Wallers, and Henrys of the world. This kid is legit, and will pair beautifully with A.J. on the inside. Im getting chills just thinking about it.

Remainder of draft;

3. (#83) C Tyler Biadasz (Wisc)
    Im not sold on Morris at center by maybe Munch is. Would be nice to add another option to compete. I envision this kid being the day 1 starter and a day 3 steal.

3. (#87) S Jeremy Chinn (So. Illinois)
    We continue to add athleticism on D. Chinn fills Will Parks role on defense and Special Teams. A good get by Elway here.

3. (#95) OT Trey Adams (Wash)
    His career has been a disappointment his far but the talent is undeniable. Injuries and inconsistent play have hurt his stock, but Munch likes him and makes him his pet project.
    4. (#137) OT Calvin Throckmorton (Oregon)
    See Adams. Another project for Munch. 2 athletic tackles with fantastic measurables. Insurance for Bolles and James.

5. (#178) DE Nick Coe (Auburn)
    I know, we have completely neglected the d-line in this mock and I will get roasted for this. Coe is a nice project and a good down DE. Tons of potential.

6. (#181) DT Leki Fotu (Utah)
    Another great project for the d-line. Fotu becomes Purcells backup at NT.

7. CB Stanford Samuels (Florida St)
    Speedy CB here who can compete for the #5 spot.

7. WR Darnell Mooney (Tulane)
    This speedster adds a whole new dimension to our offense. Mooney is a project, but could be a good one.

Notable UDFA

QB Kelly Bryant (Mizzou)
    P Braden Mann (Tex A&M)

Man this roster will be loaded, there will be tough decisions come TC time, but thats a good thing.

Depth chart coming out of the preseason;

QB
    1. Drew Lock
    2. Jeff Driskel
    RB
    1. Melvin Gordon
    2. Phillip Lindsay (KR)
    3. Royce Freeman
    WR
    1. Courtland Sutton
    2. Tee Higgins (R)
    3. Julian Edelman
    4. DeSean Hamilton
    5. Tim Patrick
    6. Diontae Spencer (PR)
    TE
    1. Noah Fant
    2. Nick Vannett
    3. Andrew Beck
    LT
    1. Garrett Bolles
    2. Calvin Throckmorton (R)
    LG
    1. Dalton Risner
    2. Austin Schlottman
    C
    1. Tyler Biadasz (R)
    2. Patrick Morris
    RG
    1. Graham Glasgow
    2. Elijah Wilkinson
    RT
    1. Jwuan James
    2. Wilkinson

LDE
    1. DreMont Jones
    2. DeMarcus Walker
    3. Nick Coe (R)
    NT
    1. Mike Purcell
    2. Leki Fotu (R)
    RDE
    1. Jurrell Casey
    2. Ethan Westbrooks
    LOLB
    1. Von Miller
    2. Malik Reed
    LILB
    1. A.J. Johnson
    2. Josey Jewell
    3. Joe Jones
    RILB
    1. Patrick Queen (R)
    2. Todd Davis
    ROLB
    1. Bradley Chubb
    2. Jeremiah Attachou
    3. Justin Hollins
    LCB
    1. A.J. Bouye
    2. Duke Dawson
    3. Isaac Yiadom
    RCB
    1. Bryce Callahan
    2. DeVante Bausby
    3. Stanford Samuels (R)
    SS
    1. Kareem Jackson
    2. Trey Marshall
    FS
    1. Justin Simmons
    2. Jeremy Chinn (R)

K
    1. Brandon McManus
    P
    2. Braden Mann (R)
    LS
    1. Jacob Bobenmoyer

Practice Squad:

QB Brett Rypien
    RB Khalfani Muhammad
    WR Darnell Mooney (R)
    TE Troy Fumigali
    OT Trey Adams (R)
    S Tyvis Powell
    DL Jonathan Harris
    CB Devontae Harris

We have zero holes on this roster, and great depth in every position. Tell me what could be wrong with this?

I like it a lot. Id prefer Jefferson at WR but Id love to have Higgins. I love Queen as well, Fangio would make him a monster.

Also notable, Mann is definitely not going to be undrafted. Id bet on 5th round or higher before UDFA. He holds the record for longest punting average in CFB history, and can also cover punts/kicks and boom touchbacks consistently on kickoffs.

You signed Allen to Qb . I see no need to sign him since we have Driskel, especially since you dont have him on the final depth chart . Unless I missed it . I like your trades and draft choices . I commend your effort and time putting this out .

I am way out on this one I hate all the trade and I think there are like a ton of wr better then higgins

Higgins is an absolute beast and will compliment Sutton well.,

Quote Originally Posted by KWHIT97 View Post
    Higgins is an absolute beast and will compliment Sutton well.,
    Higgins a slower less talent version of sutton. What we need is speed not another big redzone threat. To be honest I don't see much of a difference between a guy like patrick and Higgins. What we need is speed not another tall redzone. I want my wr to have different strengths not the same ones. I also don't have him that high he nearly makes my top ten I would go hamler reagor Mims and shenualt over Higgins he just doesn't excite me.

I also hope elways has his eyes on some oline and maybe kinlaw if one of the top 4 ots or kinlaw is there I can't see my self trading down they would be a huge upgrade and then you can grab wr in the second and still get great value. I don't like trading down here at all. I feel the top 15 are gonna be way better then what's there at like 20. Best case scenario is that 4 qbs go before us then we are in a really good spot to grab an elite talent at 15. This draft is deep and the guys at the top look legit there are maybe 15 guys or more that would have gone in the top ten last year.
    Last edited by Kyousukeneko; 03-24-2020 at 02:57 PM.

Hate this. 10char

Quote Originally Posted by Broncosohio87 View Post
    Hate this. 10char
    Tell us how you really feel lol

I really appreciate the effort because it is great to have something to discuss.

I dislike most of this strategy. I am a fan of trading back but I would do it to pick up another second round selection. Different than others, I do think there are players in the 23 range that are not a big step down from those at 15. I think it depends on the position. I like Josh Jones and Justin Jefferson as options in that range. Personally I prefer Jones to Willis and Jefferson to Ruggs (but I know I am in the minority on that opinion). I admit there is a step down at DT/DE if you trade back. If your preference is Kinlaw this is probably a bad move.

I do like the Biadasz pick and the Fotu pick (although I doubt he is there in the 6th)... but Higgins is a terrible choice for us.

I would not draft Queen but that is just because I am not a fan of drafting ILB early unless they are special and I don't see it in Queen or Murray. Simmons is a different story.

Trey Adams is a complete throw away. He has become a joke of a player and will be lucky to get drafted. You just can't show up to the combine completely out of shape, not take is seriously, and when asked one thing you would improve about yourself... answer that you want a bigger d1$%. He has injury issues that will manifest themselves because of his laziness. I also get tired of everyone saying let's draft a guy with poor technique and real problems and then saying we will coach it out of them. It is a terrible strategy. The only way it makes sense is if you love the guys character and work ethic and believe with proper coaching he can improve. We need quality people that love football. Adams is not an example of either IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    Higgins a slower less talent version of sutton. What we need is speed not another big redzone threat. To be honest I don't see much of a difference between a guy like patrick and Higgins. What we need is speed not another tall redzone. I want my wr to have different strengths not the same ones. I also don't have him that high he nearly makes my top ten I would go hamler reagor Mims and shenualt over Higgins he just doesn't excite me.

I also hope elways has his eyes on some oline and maybe kinlaw if one of the top 4 ots or kinlaw is there I can't see my self trading down they would be a huge upgrade and then you can grab wr in the second and still get great value. I don't like trading down here at all. I feel the top 15 are gonna be way better then what's there at like 20. Best case scenario is that 4 qbs go before us then we are in a really good spot to grab an elite talent at 15. This draft is deep and the guys at the top look legit there are maybe 15 guys or more that would have gone in the top ten last year.
    Im calling it now, Denzel Mimms will be a Denver Bronco! Hamler might be as well!