Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by L.M. View Post
    Yorktown definitely helped to tip the scales in that fight as her dive bombers destroyed the Sōryū. In 1998, Robert Ballard (who found the Titanic and Bismarck) found the old Yorktown wreck three miles deep.

The Hornet CV-8 was sunk about five months later in the contest for the Solomons which was the true turning point of the Pacific War (though Midway is often cited as such), and like the Yorktown, she was reincarnated as an Essex class carrier CV-12 in 1943. The old Hornet wreck was found last year by Paul Allen -the cofounder of Microsoft- who has been spending some of his fortune locating WW2 wrecks. His research vessel the RV Petrel found the Lexington in the Coral Sea in 2018, and the Kaga and Akagi near Midway last year. The Hiryū and Sōryū are still lost. The Enterprise survived WW2 intact and was decommissioned in 1947, then reincarnated as the first nuclear-powered carrier CVN-65 in 1958.
    Lt.Cdr. Dick Best, SBD squadron commander from Enterprise, scored hits on Akagi and Hiryu. His OBA malfunctioned and he inhaled caustic soda fumes which caused latent TB to go active. The last day he flew was 4 June 1942. What a day. Denver area residents might be interested to know that Best was sent to Fitzsimmons Army Hospital in Aurora (NW quadrant of East Colfax and Peoria) to rest, recuperate and receive treatment in a better climate for his condition. ⚓🇺🇸

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Lt.Cdr. Dick Best, SBD squadron commander from Enterprise, scored hits on Akagi and Hiryu. His OBA malfunctioned and he inhaled caustic soda fumes which caused latent TB to go active. The last day he flew was 4 June 1942. What a day. Denver area residents might be interested to know that Best was sent to Fitzsimmons Army Hospital in Aurora (NW quadrant of East Colfax and Peoria) to rest, recuperate and receive treatment in a better climate for his condition. ⚓����
    OK Sam...now you're just showing off!!!

Hey JvD…..here's my prediction for this coming season (if we draft a few quality players in positions we've discussed)

10 and 6

Playoff bound.

Why not? 4 and 1 to close the season with a rookie QB. 10 and 6 is not my more optimistic projection.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Hey JvD…..here's my prediction for this coming season (if we draft a few quality players in positions we've discussed)

10 and 6

Playoff bound.

Why not? 4 and 1 to close the season with a rookie QB. 10 and 6 is not my more optimistic projection.

Do you think there will be a 17th game?

10 and 6

Playoff bound.

I like it!! Except if you think we're at 10 wins then that'll put us with 7 loss's... You know the 17 game schedule thing

Quote Originally Posted by JvDub95 View Post
    I like it!! Except if you think we're at 10 wins then that'll put us with 7 loss's... You know the 17 game schedule thing
    I think that’s the 2021 season

Do you think there will be a 17th game?
    Quote Originally Posted by 58Miller View Post
    I think that’s the 2021 season
    I understand the 17 game change is '21 at the earliest. The playoff addition begins in the'20 season.

I understand the 17 game change is '21 at the earliest. The playoff addition begins in the'20 season.
    I see, I thought it was introduced this year....my bad

It's from the 1970 film Tora! Tora! Tora! and that's So Yamamura playing Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto who (reluctantly) planned the attack on Pearl Harbor on Tojo's orders. That's a true quote too.
    My apologies LM, I'm getting a tad bit older and I get a little mixed-up at times. Thank you for the correction. I should have done some homework before posting but I was really positive I was correct. Live and learn....

I realize we got off topic but once again I learned some interesting WWII details from you and samparnell. Here's a bit of movie trivia regarding So Yamamura. The only other movie I remember him being in was the 1986 Ronnie Howard film "Gung Ho" starring Michael Keaton. He portrayed Mr. Sakamoto, the CEO of the Japanese auto maker Assan Motors.
    Utah Bronco Freak

The story of Yorktown making it back to Pearl from Coral Sea, getting underway in three days to join Enterprise and Hornet, and then doing major damage control again after getting bombed during the battle is truly epic. The crew would have saved her had a Japanese sub not slipped through the screen. A destroyer was sunk by one of the torpedoes intended for Yorktown. CV-10, one of the Essex Class carriers, was named Yorktown to carry on the tradition established by CV-5.
    Wow! You and LM are impressing the heck out of me with your WWII Pacific theater knowledge. Over the decades I've focused more on WWII European combat theater. That's due to me falling in love with the Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress when I was a youngster in the late 1950's. I was fortunate to fly in the B-17G "Liberty Belle" May 7th 2011 here in Salt Lake City. It was an incredible "bucket list" dream come true.

Thanks again my Bronco brothers for the info.
    Utah Bronco Freak

I see, I thought it was introduced this year....my bad
    No prob pal! I don't usually read the fine print, but I heard them explaining some of it on NFL.com when the final voting took place. What I heard and still read, the start date could even extend beyond the '21 season, pending other factors.

Yorktown definitely helped to tip the scales in that fight as her dive bombers destroyed the Sōryū. In 1998, Robert Ballard (who found the Titanic and Bismarck) found the old Yorktown wreck three miles deep.

The Hornet CV-8 was sunk about five months later in the contest for the Solomons which was the true turning point of the Pacific War (though Midway is often cited as such), and like the Yorktown, she was reincarnated as an Essex class carrier CV-12 in 1943. The old Hornet wreck was found last year by Paul Allen -the cofounder of Microsoft- who has been spending some of his fortune locating WW2 wrecks. His research vessel the RV Petrel found the Lexington in the Coral Sea in 2018, and the Kaga and Akagi near Midway last year. The Hiryū and Sōryū are still lost. The Enterprise survived WW2 intact and was decommissioned in 1947, then reincarnated as the first nuclear-powered carrier CVN-65 in 1958.
    The contest for the Solomon Islands included the First Marine Division on Guadalcanal commanded by Gen. A.A. Vandegrift. That was another epic struggle. JFK's saga on PT-109 also took place in the Solomon Islands during that campaign (the message on the coconut). The plane carrying Admiral Yamamoto in the Solomons, was shot down by USAAF P-38s, who had been sent there as a result of more codebreaking, which resulted in his death thus depriving the Japanese of their best commander.

Love that quote.

Yamamoto had studied in the United States and understood that if the U.S. fully mobilized, Japan stood no chance at victory.

"In the first six to twelve months of a war with the United States and Great Britain I will run wild and win victory upon victory. But then, if the war continues after that, I have no expectation of success."

I wonder if that timeline factored in the breaking of the JN25 cipher?
    "I've set my laser from stun to kill."

The contest for the Solomon Islands included the First Marine Division on Guadalcanal commanded by Gen. A.A. Vandegrift. That was another epic struggle. JFK's saga on PT-109 also took place in the Solomon Islands during that campaign (the message on the coconut). The plane carrying Admiral Yamamoto in the Solomons, was shot down by USAAF P-38s, who had been sent there as a result of more codebreaking, which resulted in his death thus depriving the Japanese of their best commander.
    Always appreciate reading a great WWII discussion - thank you, both of you.
    "I've set my laser from stun to kill."

Quote Originally Posted by Lumiere View Post
    Always appreciate reading a great WWII discussion - thank you, both of you.
    You're welcome. I'd like to port this convo over to the new, dedicated World War II thread here.
    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016