Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Iím still in the believe it when i see it category. I like all the moves Elway is making and believe it could be an exciting year. But i feel like there were people on here predicting this the last two years and we saw how that turned out.

Itís been hard these last four years to have the faith I once had as a child. Hope they do it but Iím still not convinced the offense has done enough to become consistently a threat. We will see how the draft plays out though.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    I think many of us have felt this way, in recent months. Not sure if "sleeping giant" is as appropriate as other potential descriptions...those that depict a team with a solid base and a potentially stellar young QB, which was a key missing piece. Along with some younger cornerstones who will be here together, to make this team a long term threat.

Regardless of description, I appreciate the posting! It lines up with what many of us believe...that with a decent draft, we are well on the way back to highly competitive football!

Sleeping giant? I feel we were a solid historic giant taking a 3 year nap and are now definitely wide awake and very hungry.
    Utah Bronco Freak

Quote Originally Posted by L.M. View Post
    Great minds think alike. Exactly the first thing I thought of when I read the thread title.

For those who don't know what the video clip is....it's from the 1975? movie "Midway" showing a Japanese naval aircraft carrier commander commenting to other officers on the bridge about their attack at Pearl Harbor Hawaii, 7 December 1941. Classic line!
    Utah Bronco Freak

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbodog View Post
    Great minds think alike. Exactly the first thing I thought of when I read the thread title.

For those who don't know what the video clip is....it's from the 1975? movie "Midway" showing a Japanese naval aircraft carrier commander commenting to other officers on the bridge about their attack at Pearl Harbor Hawaii, 7 December 1941. Classic line!
    It was Admiral Yamamoto.

Sleeping giant? I feel we were a solid historic giant taking a 3 year nap and are now definitely wide awake and very hungry.
    Doesn't "sleeping giant" refer more so to some players / management on that team in NYC??

^^^^FTR, I don't mind that team! And never forget, Eli and company were GIANTS twice....few can say that.

It's from the 1970 film Tora! Tora! Tora! and that's So Yamamura playing Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto who (reluctantly) planned the attack on Pearl Harbor on Tojo's orders. That's a true quote too.

It's from the 1970 film Tora! Tora! Tora! and that's So Yamamura playing Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto who (reluctantly) planned the attack on Pearl Harbor on Tojo's orders. That's a true quote too.
    Yamamoto wanted to catch our flattops at Pearl, but they were out. Given that, wonder why he thought they'd be in Pearl when he attacked Midway?

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Yamamoto wanted to catch our flattops at Pearl, but they were out. Given that, wonder why he thought they'd be in Pearl when he attacked Midway?
    Because after Manila and Guam fell, Pearl was the only forward US naval base left and it was extremely well-protected with increased flak batteries and more land-based fighters so a second Japanese aerial strike there would have been suicidal. Admiral Nimitz HQ was also there. The carriers were at Pearl until they got that vital intel on Japanese plans and then they redeployed NE of Midway. The Yorktown was making repairs at Pearl from damage suffered at Coral Sea. The Japanese mistakenly believed that she was actually sunk and only factored two enemy carriers into their plans, not three (technically, the US had four as Midway Island itself was effectively an unsinkable carrier). Yamamoto's plan was to lure the American carriers out to defend Midway after it had been attacked and neutralized.

^^^^^^

And then some combat history broke out!!!

Because after Manila and Guam fell, Pearl was the only forward US naval base left and it was extremely well-protected with increased flak batteries and more land-based fighters so a second Japanese aerial strike there would have been suicidal. Admiral Nimitz HQ was also there. The carriers were at Pearl until they got that vital intel on Japanese plans and then they redeployed NE of Midway. The Yorktown was making repairs at Pearl from damage suffered at Coral Sea. The Japanese mistakenly believed that she was actually sunk and only factored two enemy carriers into their plans, not three (technically, the US had four as Midway Island itself was effectively an unsinkable carrier). Yamamoto's plan was to lure the American carriers out to defend Midway after it had been attacked and neutralized.
    The story of Yorktown making it back to Pearl from Coral Sea, getting underway in three days to join Enterprise and Hornet, and then doing major damage control again after getting bombed during the battle is truly epic. The crew would have saved her had a Japanese sub not slipped through the screen. A destroyer was sunk by one of the torpedoes intended for Yorktown. CV-10, one of the Essex Class carriers, was named Yorktown to carry on the tradition established by CV-5.

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    The story of Yorktown making it back to Pearl from Coral Sea, getting underway in three days to join Enterprise and Hornet, and then doing major damage control again after getting bombed during the battle is truly epic. The crew would have saved her had a Japanese sub not slipped through the screen. A destroyer was sunk by one of the torpedoes intended for Yorktown. CV-10, one of the Essex Class carriers, was named Yorktown to carry on the tradition established by CV-5.
    Yorktown definitely helped to tip the scales in that fight as her dive bombers destroyed the Sōryū. In 1998, Robert Ballard (who found the Titanic and Bismarck) found the old Yorktown wreck three miles deep.

The Hornet CV-8 was sunk about five months later in the contest for the Solomons which was the true turning point of the Pacific War (though Midway is often cited as such), and like the Yorktown, she was reincarnated as an Essex class carrier CV-12 in 1943. The old Hornet wreck was found last year by Paul Allen -the cofounder of Microsoft- who has been spending some of his fortune locating WW2 wrecks. His research vessel the RV Petrel found the Lexington in the Coral Sea in 2018, and the Kaga and Akagi near Midway last year. The Hiryū and Sōryū are still lost. The Enterprise survived WW2 intact and was decommissioned in 1947, then reincarnated as the first nuclear-powered carrier CVN-65 in 1958.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    ^^^^^^

And then some combat history broke out!!!

It's shameless OT but I figured this thread had probably ran its course, it's the offseason, lots of us are bored and stuck at home so may as well discuss something interesting!

It's shameless OT but I figured this thread had probably ran its course, it's the offseason, lots of us are bored and stuck at home so may as well discuss something interesting!
    Ha ha....right about now, I'd be cool talking about snow melting.