Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    36,006

    The Gravity of the Situation

    I am drawn to it; may the force really be with you (hope this appeases my sci fi buds!!); it literally grounds me.

    Okay, my topic is gravity, and it’s not a subject you can easily lift yourself from.

    Gravity is underrated in my humble opinion. We tend to forget about it. In fact, there should be a national holiday named in honour of this amazing influence on our lives. We could all celebrate and “get down” to it. I'd even suggest that we all lay down for most of the day, and proclaim things like, "wow, I can hardly get up because that darn gravity is so powerful!".....why not suck up a little?

    When you think of it, gravity is involved with pretty much everything that we do in life. I know that is an obvious statement, but just think how important it is that we manage gravity for one to succeed. And there’s no better place than sports to do some analysis here. To be a great athlete, one key qualification is the ability to understand the dynamics of gravity. Simple examples:
    - If you are a QB or a Pitcher or a defensive baseball player, you must know how far and high to throw the ball to end up where it does (based on your own arm strength and other variables)
    - If you are a golfer, every shot has a gravity estimation involved
    - Surely a basketball player needs a little training when learning how to put some arc on a ball
    - I think a pole-vaulter, shot putter, diver or hurdler may be inclined to study its impacts
    - And on and on and on…………

    Naturally, in many sports one has to not only understand gravity but also the correlation with other factors, like wind, humidity, altitude and more. For that matter, I personally wouldn’t want to play a football game in Denver on a hot, humid day, with the wind in my face!!! (luckily or so I believe, Denver is usually a bit dry……except in the bars of course!!)

    Gravity goes way beyond sports, but I’ll limit this discussion to primarily the sports side of things. One fact I am completely in touch with….. when I am trying to maneuver several things in my hands at the same time, typically something ends up on the ground……..wait a sec, I think clumsy has something to do with it!!!


    Lets hear it for Gravity!!!:salute!:
    Last edited by CanDB; 05-31-2009 at 06:40 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,959
    i concur with your ponderings...

    im not sure about having a holiday for it, because once you start, where would stop with holidays??

    then again, i do enjoy a good holiday...

    regarding sports, i dont think its so much the "ability to understand the dynamics" rather, its the ability to understand through repetition, repetition and repetition...

    if athletes really understood dynamics, they wouldnt have to practice as much...

    at the same time its, i think some athletes understand the world around them and its dynamics better than others...

    gravity as a concept is cool though...

    as is anti gravity, fluctuating gravity, relative gravity and the being of no gravity and how forms behave with the absence of it...
    the most valuable of all talents is that of never using two words when one will do....
    - T Jefferson

    <a href=http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g98/anton1287/1168865057481.jpg target=_blank>http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g9...8865057481.jpg</a>

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    36,006
    Quote Originally Posted by anton... View Post
    i concur with your ponderings...

    im not sure about having a holiday for it, because once you start, where would stop with holidays??

    then again, i do enjoy a good holiday...

    regarding sports, i dont think its so much the "ability to understand the dynamics" rather, its the ability to understand through repetition, repetition and repetition...

    if athletes really understood dynamics, they wouldnt have to practice as much...

    at the same time its, i think some athletes understand the world around them and its dynamics better than others...

    gravity as a concept is cool though...

    as is anti gravity, fluctuating gravity, relative gravity and the being of no gravity and how forms behave with the absence of it...
    Maybe I gave those jocks a little too much credit......

    But sometimes when I think of what a guy like Tiger Woods or Phil Mickelson can do, with a tiny little dimpled ball, in the rough, behind a tree, with a non parallel stance, into a gusting wind, with a piece of dirt on the ball, to a multi layered green protected by water and traps, in a Major tournament........boggles my mind!!!!!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5,959
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Maybe I gave those jocks a little too much credit......

    But sometimes when I think of what a guy like Tiger Woods or Phil Mickelson can do, with a tiny little dimpled ball, in the rough, behind a tree, with a non parallel stance, into a gusting wind, with a piece of dirt on the ball, to a multi layered green protected by water and traps, in a Major tournament........boggles my mind!!!!!
    i love golf...

    but i enjoy playing it more than watching it...

    i think this thread demonstrates your amazement of skilled athletes rather than gravity or any other dynamic forces...

    but in terms of golfers, that is actually THE best example how practice makes all the difference and makes the impossible look simplistic...

    pro golfers are hitting balls 250+ days a year...

    chances are, when you see an amazing shot with a weird stance battling wind and through the trees, that golfer has hit that exact shot, and countless like it in practice from those and positions even weirder...

    if you want to talk about "sport" and understanding dynamics...



    or anything like hot air ballooning, hang gliding, etc...

    NOW, THATS KNOWING DYNAMICS!!
    the most valuable of all talents is that of never using two words when one will do....
    - T Jefferson

    <a href=http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g98/anton1287/1168865057481.jpg target=_blank>http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g9...8865057481.jpg</a>

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Cedar City, Utah
    Posts
    25,530
    Gravity. Now there's a subject down to earth.
    *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women***


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Louisville, Kentucky, United States
    Posts
    27,225
    I love gravity.

    I think when we understand it, we will be closer to understanding a LOT.

    As of right now, we don't. Not in my opinion. There may be a few out there that have a theory that isn't well known yet or published or proven... that could end up being the breakthrough of our generation when it comes to physics....

    But for now, we understand what it does, and at what extent... but we can't explain how or why, exactly.

    I will tell you this.

    I weighed the Earth today. It weighed 221.5 lbs.
    Thanks, Reid!

    Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Cedar City, Utah
    Posts
    25,530
    Quote Originally Posted by LordTrychon View Post
    I weighed the Earth today. It weighed 221.5 lbs.
    Apparently more than a 12 pack.
    *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women***


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Cedar City, Utah
    Posts
    25,530
    I found it interesting following along with LT's idea.

    Once the space station fires its thrusters to spin, it creates gravity.

    A major object spinning (station, earth, an asteroid) creates gravity which pulls smaller objects closer to it.

    Depending on the mass of the object and how fast it spins gives you the level of gravity we have to come to know.

    I find it fascinating myself.
    *** God Bless Our Military Men And Women***


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Louisville, Kentucky, United States
    Posts
    27,225
    Quote Originally Posted by BroncoManiac_69 View Post
    I found it interesting following along with LT's idea.

    Once the space station fires its thrusters to spin, it creates gravity.

    A major object spinning (station, earth, an asteroid) creates gravity which pulls smaller objects closer to it.

    Depending on the mass of the object and how fast it spins gives you the level of gravity we have to come to know.

    I find it fascinating myself.
    You're thinking of centripetal forces, BM...

    Gravity is caused by mass and mass alone... though we don't fully understand how.

    My body is simply attracted to the earth due to distance and mass... in the amount of 221.5 lbs. It works vice versa.

    Maybe the attraction between your body and the earth is more... maybe less... I'd guess less, looking at you...
    Thanks, Reid!

    Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Louisville, Kentucky, United States
    Posts
    27,225
    Gravity is extremely similar to magnetism... only to do with ALL objects with mass, rather than just objects with a certain field... although we do all have gravitational fields. It's just not as selective as magnets.

    I love playing with magnets.
    Thanks, Reid!

    Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    36,006
    All this thread needed was a little LT, a touch of BM and a dose of ANT......those are symbols for the science of of a thread.....

    Hey Anton - practice or not, sports and gravity are close allies......okay, practice makes perfect.


    BTW LT - there has been a serious shift somewhere, because the earth only weighs 160 today.....and it looks a lot older!!!!


    Last edited by CanDB; 06-02-2009 at 05:07 AM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Louisville, Kentucky, United States
    Posts
    27,225
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    All this thread needed was a little LT, a touch of BM and a dose of ANT......those are symbols for the science of of a thread.....

    Hey Anton - practice or not, sports and gravity are close allies......okay, practice makes perfect.


    BTW LT - there has been a serious shift somewhere, because the earth only weighs 160 today.....and it looks a lot older!!!!


    I wish.

    Er... about part of it.
    Thanks, Reid!

    Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Dinner Table, Hungry
    Posts
    2,488
    Don't forget me.

    I was about to harp LT before he covered his statements better. I'm studying for physics right now, and working on lots of ballistics problems.

    I have nothing further to discuss.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    36,006
    Quote Originally Posted by Zealander View Post
    Don't forget me.

    I was about to harp LT before he covered his statements better. I'm studying for physics right now, and working on lots of ballistics problems.

    I have nothing further to discuss.
    Hey Z,

    You have the right to abruptly stop a post, as if swept up by a Tsunami or something similar....

    For all - I have concluded that that this earthly attraction thing that LT speaks about is in the order of 160 pounds, day after day, unless a person I know quite well (me) decides to skip exercise and substitute with food and drink. Tonight, in the rain and cold, I will practice dragon boating, and when clean and at ease, I will do whatever I can to make up for any lost pounds, with mouth wide open.....

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Louisville, Kentucky, United States
    Posts
    27,225
    Quote Originally Posted by Zealander View Post
    Don't forget me.

    I was about to harp LT before he covered his statements better. I'm studying for physics right now, and working on lots of ballistics problems.

    I have nothing further to discuss.
    Possibly my favorite subject in High School. :salute!:
    Thanks, Reid!

    Click on my sig to read JetRazor's and my story. Or PM me with any questions.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •