Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the treasure valley, Idaho
    Posts
    16,625

    6.5 Earthquake hits Meridian

    Iíve lived here my whole life and never felt anything like that.

    Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    16,259
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    I’ve lived here my whole life and never felt anything like that.
    I've felt small ones here and in CA. Never one that strong. Hope everyone is okay.
    Administrator


    #LupusAwarenessMonth

    #Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month - Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe

    "a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the treasure valley, Idaho
    Posts
    16,625
    Yes, everything is ok. The epicenter was 75 miles north of here. I donít think there was any major damage anywhere, although being on the second floor of a 5 story building was a little entertaining. You could hear the metal framing creaking.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Westminster, CO
    Posts
    10,043
    There have been a number of unusual earthquakes in unusual places.
    There also was a recent 5.7 I think near Salt Lake City.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the treasure valley, Idaho
    Posts
    16,625
    Quote Originally Posted by johntbronco View Post
    There have been a number of unusual earthquakes in unusual places.
    There also was a recent 5.7 I think near Salt Lake City.
    Im aware of the earthquake in Salt Lake. The company I work for did an emergency repair there

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    36,209
    Quote Originally Posted by johntbronco View Post
    There have been a number of unusual earthquakes in unusual places.
    There also was a recent 5.7 I think near Salt Lake City.
    Studies suggest that earthquakes may be linked to the smallest of environmental changes. Possibly there will be more. I sure hope not. Need to research this a little.

    I've experienced 2 small ones, and I feel for anyone who experiences stronger ones. Must feel like an eternity, even though they often do not last long.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Red 98 - Red 98
    Posts
    15,415
    I saw this in the news last night. Evidently it's pretty rare out there.

    First thing came to my mind was 'how far away is Yellowstone'. That place is a pretty crazy area for geochaotic potential. I think I read it was some 4 hours away so .......not close.

    Last thing any community needs right now is some kind of natural disaster
    Red 98

    Kareem rises to the top

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Left of Colorado
    Posts
    1,270
    Quote Originally Posted by johntbronco View Post
    There have been a number of unusual earthquakes in unusual places.
    There also was a recent 5.7 I think near Salt Lake City.
    I live in SLC and it was my first ever experience with an earth quake. I was watching TV in our great room and everything started shaking for 2-3 seconds and I was very confused and didn't understand what was happening until my wife screamed from the bedroom....EARTH QUAKE!

    It's amazing how quickly so many thinks zip through your brain in 1 or 2 seconds like...strong micro-burst, did a UPS/Fed X truck hit our house, near by gas leak explosion or plane crash? A few seconds of frighting confusion. Then we wondered....are after shocks or an even bigger earth quake imminent, should we go outside? WOW!
    Utah Bronco Freak

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    36,209
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzolve View Post
    I saw this in the news last night. Evidently it's pretty rare out there.

    First thing came to my mind was 'how far away is Yellowstone'. That place is a pretty crazy area for geochaotic potential. I think I read it was some 4 hours away so .......not close.

    Last thing any community needs right now is some kind of natural disaster
    Yes....I was surprised to see the potential in Yellowstone. It has significant earthquake "geographical" characteristics.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the treasure valley, Idaho
    Posts
    16,625
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Studies suggest that earthquakes may be linked to the smallest of environmental changes. Possibly there will be more. I sure hope not. Need to research this a little.

    I I've experienced 2 small ones, and I feel for anyone who experiences stronger ones. Must feel like an eternity, even though they often do not last long.
    The epicenter is actually known for a lot of activity but its very rural and the movement is usually small. It was predicted about 10 years ago Idaho would probably experience a large scale earthquake within 20 years at that very fault. So essentially this was supposed to happen.
    Also Can, the movement was felt as far away as Calgary and Montana.
    Last edited by Al Wilson 4 Mayor; 04-01-2020 at 11:35 AM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Westminster, CO
    Posts
    10,043
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    The epicenter is actually known for a lot of activity but its very rural and the movement is usually small. It was predicted about 10 years ago Idaho would probably experience a large scale earthquake within 20 years at that very fault. So essentially this was supposed to happen.
    Also Can, the movement was felt as far away as Calgary and Montana.
    Thanks for the info.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    31,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Iíve lived here my whole life and never felt anything like that.
    6.5 is getting up there. When I was in high school, we used to get quakes between 5 and 6 on the Richter Scale in the Denver area emanating from the Rocky Mountain Arsenal. They would shake the house for a couple of seconds. How long did yours last? What is the fault in your area and at what angle?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    15,134
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    I’ve lived here my whole life and never felt anything like that.
    They said that the shaking should have been felt in Calgary, but I never noticed anything. And no one I've talked to felt it either. Glad everything is okay down there. The last thing we need to add right now is a natural disaster that has major damage and casualties.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the treasure valley, Idaho
    Posts
    16,625
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    They said that the shaking should have been felt in Calgary, but I never noticed anything. And no one I've talked to felt it either. Glad everything is okay down there. The last thing we need to add right now is a natural disaster that has major damage and casualties.
    It was felt by some in tall buildings, according to an article I read.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    36,209
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    The epicenter is actually known for a lot of activity but its very rural and the movement is usually small. It was predicted about 10 years ago Idaho would probably experience a large scale earthquake within 20 years at that very fault. So essentially this was supposed to happen.
    Also Can, the movement was felt as far away as Calgary and Montana.
    Interesting! And also sort of scary when you think of the size of the area involved.

    Thanks.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •