Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

6.5 Earthquake hits Meridian

Iíve lived here my whole life and never felt anything like that.

Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    I’ve lived here my whole life and never felt anything like that.
    I've felt small ones here and in CA. Never one that strong. Hope everyone is okay.
    Administrator

#LupusAwarenessMonth

#Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month - Adopted Bronco: Derek Wolfe

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Yes, everything is ok. The epicenter was 75 miles north of here. I donít think there was any major damage anywhere, although being on the second floor of a 5 story building was a little entertaining. You could hear the metal framing creaking.

There have been a number of unusual earthquakes in unusual places.
    There also was a recent 5.7 I think near Salt Lake City.

Quote Originally Posted by johntbronco View Post
    Im aware of the earthquake in Salt Lake. The company I work for did an emergency repair there

Studies suggest that earthquakes may be linked to the smallest of environmental changes. Possibly there will be more. I sure hope not. Need to research this a little.

I've experienced 2 small ones, and I feel for anyone who experiences stronger ones. Must feel like an eternity, even though they often do not last long.

I saw this in the news last night. Evidently it's pretty rare out there.

First thing came to my mind was 'how far away is Yellowstone'. That place is a pretty crazy area for geochaotic potential. I think I read it was some 4 hours away so .......not close.

Last thing any community needs right now is some kind of natural disaster
    Red 98

Kareem rises to the top

I live in SLC and it was my first ever experience with an earth quake. I was watching TV in our great room and everything started shaking for 2-3 seconds and I was very confused and didn't understand what was happening until my wife screamed from the bedroom....EARTH QUAKE!

It's amazing how quickly so many thinks zip through your brain in 1 or 2 seconds like...strong micro-burst, did a UPS/Fed X truck hit our house, near by gas leak explosion or plane crash? A few seconds of frighting confusion. Then we wondered....are after shocks or an even bigger earth quake imminent, should we go outside? WOW!
    Utah Bronco Freak

Quote Originally Posted by dizzolve View Post
    I saw this in the news last night. Evidently it's pretty rare out there.

First thing came to my mind was 'how far away is Yellowstone'. That place is a pretty crazy area for geochaotic potential. I think I read it was some 4 hours away so .......not close.

Last thing any community needs right now is some kind of natural disaster
    Yes....I was surprised to see the potential in Yellowstone. It has significant earthquake "geographical" characteristics.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Studies suggest that earthquakes may be linked to the smallest of environmental changes. Possibly there will be more. I sure hope not. Need to research this a little.

I I've experienced 2 small ones, and I feel for anyone who experiences stronger ones. Must feel like an eternity, even though they often do not last long.
    The epicenter is actually known for a lot of activity but its very rural and the movement is usually small. It was predicted about 10 years ago Idaho would probably experience a large scale earthquake within 20 years at that very fault. So essentially this was supposed to happen.
    Also Can, the movement was felt as far away as Calgary and Montana.
    Last edited by Al Wilson 4 Mayor; 04-01-2020 at 11:35 AM.

The epicenter is actually known for a lot of activity but its very rural and the movement is usually small. It was predicted about 10 years ago Idaho would probably experience a large scale earthquake within 20 years at that very fault. So essentially this was supposed to happen.
    Thanks for the info.

Iíve lived here my whole life and never felt anything like that.
    6.5 is getting up there. When I was in high school, we used to get quakes between 5 and 6 on the Richter Scale in the Denver area emanating from the Rocky Mountain Arsenal. They would shake the house for a couple of seconds. How long did yours last? What is the fault in your area and at what angle?

I’ve lived here my whole life and never felt anything like that.
    They said that the shaking should have been felt in Calgary, but I never noticed anything. And no one I've talked to felt it either. Glad everything is okay down there. The last thing we need to add right now is a natural disaster that has major damage and casualties.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    They said that the shaking should have been felt in Calgary, but I never noticed anything. And no one I've talked to felt it either. Glad everything is okay down there. The last thing we need to add right now is a natural disaster that has major damage and casualties.
    It was felt by some in tall buildings, according to an article I read.

Interesting! And also sort of scary when you think of the size of the area involved.

Thanks.