Quote Originally Posted by jazzbodog View Post
Excellent! There are no "not cool" combat aircraft" that were involved in WWII.
Although they had some excellent fighting machines, I'm not going to list any German or Japanese aircraft.
American and British aircraft were superior, IMO.

My list of favorites:

Bombers
B-17G Flying Fortress (USA)
B-29 Super Fortress (USA)
Lancaster (British)
B-24J Liberator (USA)

Fighters (For those who might not know, the P stands for "Pursuit", the F is for "Fighter")
P-51 Mustang
F4U Corsair
Spitfire (British)
P-47M Thunderbolt
P-38J Lightning
F6F-5 Hellcat

You assumed correctly. I've seen the movie "Memphis Belle" and I have the DVD. I also have the DVD of "Twelve O'clock High", 1949, staring Gregory Peck. Excellent movie. Winner of 2 academy awards for best supporting actor (Dean Jagger) and best sound.

I have a friend of 51 years from high school who lives in Windsor, Colorado and we have everything in place for a trip this June to the airshow in Dayton, Ohio and we're also going to the U.S. Air Force Museum located at Wright-Patterson AFB, a little North East of Dayton. The star attraction there is the one and only "Memphis Belle", the real McCoy. My friend and I are super stoked to make this trip but we're starting to think the Coronavirus might force us to cancel for circumstances beyond our control. Huge bummer.

The following is the final journey of the "Memphis Belle", aka "The Lady", "The Big Bird."

On 30 August 2005, the MBMA (Memphis Belle Memorial Association) announced that a consultant that they hired determined that the MBMA would not be able to raise enough money to restore the Belle and otherwise fulfill the Air Force's requirements to keep possession of the aircraft. They announced plans to return the aircraft to the National Museum of the United States Air Force at Wright-Patterson AFB near Dayton, Ohio, after a final exhibition at an airshow in Millington, Tennessee from 30 September–2 October 2005. The Belle arrived safely at the museum in mid-October 2005 and was placed in one of the Museum's restoration hangars.

The Museum placed restoration of Memphis Belle near the top of its priorities. In the magazine Friends Journal of the museum's foundation, Major General Charles D. Metcalf, USAF (Ret), then the director of the museum, stated that it might take eight to 10 years to fully restore the aircraft.

By the spring of 2009, considerable preparatory work had been accomplished, but the fuselage and wings were still disassembled.

After stripping the paint from the aft fuselage of the aircraft, hundreds of names and personal messages were found scratched in the aluminum skin. It turned out that, during the aircraft's war bond tour, people were allowed to leave their mark there.

In May 2017 the museum announced the goal of completing the restoration and putting the Memphis Belle on display by May 17, 2018, the 75th anniversary of the plane's 25th mission. On March 19, 2018 the Memphis Belle was moved into the WWII Gallery at the National Museum of the United States Air Force, and was officially unveiled May 17, 2018.

Nothing less than incredibly amazing!
Hey Jazz, have you ever seen the Wings of Freedom Tour?' It's a WWII aircraft "living museum" airshow that visits towns around the country. You can actually fly in a fully renovated original B-24J Liberator (nicknamed "Witchcraft"), or a B-25 Mitchell, or P-51 Mustang.

For WWII aficionados, I would highly recommend it as a bucket list item.