Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Biggest Needs Going into the Draft?

Like many of you, I'm at home board with no sports and all I can do is daydream about the upcoming draft.
    My humble opinion on the draft:
    For the first time in a long time I am excited about our QB going into the season.
    I also like our RB, TE, Safety, OLB's, and D linemen groups.

The biggest needs imo are WR#2 &3 , RT, C, CB, and LT.

LT is probably more important than RT but James hasn't given us any reason to believe we will see him play more than a half of football. Finding quality after the top 4 is hard.

I think our biggest hole is at WR, where I believe in Shurmur's offense alot of 3 receiver sets. We will need not one but two upgrades at the position. Hamilton and Patrick are good depth players who can play Special teams. In this draft I want to see us take 2 receivers within the first 4 rounds (6 picks). We also need to bring in a tackle and a center who can compete and eventually start.

My Mock Draft (used The Draft Network Simulator)
    Rd /Player /School
    1. WR Jerry Jeudy Alabama ( the top 4 tackles all are gone) Elway's Bama pick!
    2.CB Jaylon Johnson / UTAH
    3. C Tyler Biadasz / Wisconsin
    3. T Ben Bartch / St. John
    3. Akeem Davis-Gaither / Appalachian St,
    4. WR/RB/ Returner Antonio Gibson / Memphis (Swiss Army Knife)
    5. WR Tyrie Cleveland / Florida
    6. S/CB Shyhiem Carter Alabama (Elway takes another after Carter falls)
    7. T Charlie Heck North Carolina
    7. NT Darrion Daniels Nebraska

Let me know what you think, and feel free to add or take away from the mock or share your own. Appreciate your opinions, and criticism. Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by 58Miller; 03-28-2020 at 10:28 AM.

I think we take ruggs if he is there and I don't think we address the ot spot early enough

To me it's not so much that we need a #2 WR, but we need a WR that can change the dynamic we have and dictate defensive coverages. The easiest way to do that is with speed. To me the guys that does that is Ruggs. I think the other guy that has potential to dictate coverages is Lamb, not because of his speed, but he has that Hopkins like ability to make the play.

After that I think iOL is the next biggest need. I'd like to draft a long term OC in the first 2 days to pair with Lock. If not, take a RG and move Glasgow to OC.

ILB is the next issue for me, I think we need an upgrade there. I liked AJ, but not so much in coverage and Davis is just decent.

CB is up there as well, I think we add one more in FA, but it's pretty thin and we could use some young talent.

DL, although set for now we could always groom some potential talent.

An early look at what I would like to see:

Package our 1st and a 3rd for #10

#10- Henry Ruggs WR- Defensive coverage dictator, at the end of the day speed kills, but he's more that that. Good hands and good route running ability.

2nd- Cesar Ruiz OC- Locks long term partner for the foreseeable future. Bully in the middle, coming from a Harabaugh system that's got a lot of things that will transfer over to the league. Glasgow came from Michigan too, so he will be a good veteran mentor. We have reported interest as well.

3rd a- Bryce Hall CB- After an injury took away his last year at Virginia. Will remind Fangio and Donatell of Fuller when they were in Chicago. I think he can be an upper tier CB in our system. Led the nation in PDs the year before.

3rd b- Logan Wilson ILB- Out of Wyoming he has the build you want in the middle, and showed good coverage skills this year. 3x captain fits the mold of players we have drafted recently.

4- Michael O TE- Locks former collegiate TE, give him a nice duo with Fant. He will have quick Rapport with Lock.

Something like that would be very good IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by the0rangecrush View Post
    To me it's not so much that we need a #2 WR, but we need a WR that can change the dynamic we have and dictate defensive coverages. The easiest way to do that is with speed. To me the guys that does that is Ruggs. I think the other guy that has potential to dictate coverages is Lamb, not because of his speed, but he has that Hopkins like ability to make the play.

After that I think iOL is the next biggest need. I'd like to draft a long term OC in the first 2 days to pair with Lock. If not, take a RG and move Glasgow to OC.

ILB is the next issue for me, I think we need an upgrade there. I liked AJ, but not so much in coverage and Davis is just decent.

CB is up there as well, I think we add one more in FA, but it's pretty thin and we could use some young talent.

#10- Henry Ruggs WR- Defensive coverage dictator, at the end of the day speed kills, but he's more that that. Good hands and good route running ability.

2nd- Cesar Ruiz OC- Locks long term partner for the foreseeable future. Bully in the middle, coming from a Harabaugh system that's got a lot of things that will transfer over to the league. Glasgow came from Michigan too, so he will be a good veteran mentor. We have reported interest as well.

3rd a- Bryce Hall CB- After an injury took away his last year at Virginia. Will remind Fangio and Donatell of Fuller when they were in Chicago. I think he can be an upper tier CB in our system. Led the nation in PDs the year before.

3rd b- Logan Wilson ILB- Out of Wyoming he has the build you want in the middle, and showed good coverage skills this year. 3x captain fits the mold of players we have drafted recently.

4- Michael O TE- Locks former collegiate TE, give him a nice duo with Fant. He will have quick Rapport with Lock.

How is it not a big need you trust bolles and james as a starter?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    I think we take ruggs if he is there and I don't think we address the ot spot early enough
    I wouldn’t mind that but I’d also be happy with Denzel Mimms. His ability to make those tough grabs in traffic could actually rival Ruggs speed!

Well maybe that’s a stretch but still very valuable.

Quote Originally Posted by the0rangecrush View Post

I like this Mock except the TE in the 4th, Fant and Vannett, Becht and maybe one of these guys Fumagali, Butt, &Fort. I’d look for tackle depth here instead, we have no depth.

Good job! In my mock Ruggs was gone ( did. You move up to 10?)
    Last edited by 58Miller; 03-28-2020 at 11:12 AM.

Speed is so overrated in the WR position. Jerry Rice, great hands, great route runner, maybe the GOAT. Sutton ran a 4.54 at the combine, look how he gets open deep, so many PIs on him. Id rather get a CB or OL in the first if value is there. There will be plenty of good receivers available in the second.

Remember, we are looking for a number 2 receiver, we have a number 1.

Quote Originally Posted by S037474 View Post
    Speed is so overrated in the WR position. Jerry Rice, great hands, great route runner, maybe the GOAT. Sutton ran a 4.54 at the combine, look how he gets open deep, so many PIs on him. Id rather get a CB or OL in the first if value is there. There will be plenty of good receivers available in the second.

I agree with your logic but I dont think we should reach when a better player of need is available.
    I would have taken Andrew Thomas, Wirfs, Willis or Becton but all were gone when I mocked. To take a guy like Austin Jackson over Jeudy seemed like a stretch.
    CJ Henderson was gone and I didnt think Diggs at 15 a good pick with Jeudy there.
    In the second the best reveiver was KJ Hamler, Chase Claypool, and Van Jefferson. Reagor, Mims, Justin Jefferson, & Ayiuk were all gone when i picked in the second.

I am going for bpa regardless. If one of the top ot are there they would be my first followed by ruggs cause lamb and jeudy will go to sf and lv. Leaving us ruggs now I could be wrong there

Needs going into the draft? OT. WR, CB, ILB, C, NT/DT in no particular order with the first six picks. The final four would be a S and depth projects

First off OT-I think the coaches are expecting more from Bolles and James then most fans are. So a project with upside over a day one starter IMO. Hopefully a vet swing OT can be added before the draft.

CB- same hope they add a starting quality CB in free agency. Then draft a depth project.

At C- IMO the position that is the biggest mystery concerning "what the coaches and Elway think"? IMO draft one to start. If coaches feel differently it opens up an early pick for another position and the dominoes fall differently.

My fantasy draft framework (today's anyways) looks like this:

1st rd: Ruggs.WR- holding out hope this young man is selected. Pros and cons have been discussed. I'm a believer in what he would add to the offense.
    2nd rd: Best C, coaches choice? . in order of preference- Biadasz, Ruiz, Cushenbury, Hennessy.
    3rd rd: Dye ILB =- coverage LB to add to the rotation and depth.
    3rd rd: Best available OT that "fits", likely in this range to pick from: Adeniji, Niang, Peart, Thockmorton, Adams,???
    3rd rd: Coaches choice CB- Guidry, Pride , Carter, Samuels , Green, ???
    4th rd: Best available NT- Jones, Hamilton, Fotu, ???
    5th rd: WR- K.J., Hill or Hightower, or ???
    6th rd: Best available S
    7th rd: Lineman or CB project
    7th rd:K. Tate QB
    Last edited by FR Tim; 03-28-2020 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FR Tim View Post
    Needs going into the draft? OT. WR, CB, ILB, C, NT/DT in no particular order with the first six picks. The final four would be a S and depth projects

First off OT-I think the coaches are expecting more from Bolles and James then most fans are. So a project with upside over a day one starter IMO. Hopefully a vet swing OT can be added before the draft.

CB- same hope they add a starting quality CB in free agency. Then draft a depth project.

At C- IMO the position that is the biggest mystery concerning "what the coaches and Elway think"? IMO draft one to start. If coaches feel differently it opens up an early pick for another position and the dominoes fall differently.

My fantasy draft framework (today's anyways) looks like this:

1st rd: Ruggs.WR- holding out hope this young man is selected. Pros and cons have been discussed. I'm a believer in what he would add to the offense.
    2nd rd: Best C, coaches choice? . in order of preference- Biadasz, Ruiz, Cushenbury, Hennessy.
    3rd rd: Dye ILB =- coverage LB to add to the rotation and depth.
    3rd rd: Best available OT that "fits", likely in this range to pick from: Adeniji, Niang, Peart, Thockmorton, Adams,???
    3rd rd: Coaches choice CB- Guidry, Pride , Carter, Samuels , Green, ???
    4th rd: Best available NT- Jones, Hamilton, Fotu, ???
    5th rd: WR- K.J., Hill or Hightower, or ???
    6th rd: Best available S
    7th rd: Lineman or CB project
    7th rd:K. Tate QB
    I hate the idea of drafting for position. I still think we need to go bpa regardless the pick.

I Like how our FA has gone. WE are filling needs as the draft approaches, leaving the ability to go BPA and have minimal immediate needs that limit the draft.

If we can nail a 3rd draft in a row, we are rocking it!
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich

I hate the idea of drafting for position. I still think we need to go bpa regardless the pick.
    Cool! Your fantasy mock draft must be really simple then.

BPA.... End of discussion

I’m not even disagreeing with you. In theory. The reason I have the comment “one pick causes the dominoes to fall differently”.

But BPA does not always align with needs. Or is objective, my BPA may not align with yours. Neither of ours with Elway.

Would you take a RB if that was the BPA ? Swift may be the BPA at #15. How about if BPA was an OT in the second when you took Thomas with #15? Or a WR if they chose WR with #15.

Mocks are fun for discussion purposes. The actual draft flows differently as BPA balances with needs while every other team struggles with the same.

An old draft question that will never be agreed upon every draft.

I fully agree, pure speed really isn't as valuable as players that can run great routes and get themselves open by doing so. That's why I'd take Jeudy over Ruggs, because he runs great routes and can make catches in traffic. Ruggs has great speed, but I don't see him having as much of an overall game.

Take the 2013 draft as an example, Tavon Austin was the first WR off the board because of his speed. 7 years later and he's a complete after thought in free agency. The most catches he had in a season was 58, and he topped out at 509 yards. The second WR off the board that year went 27th, ran a pedestrian 4.57 at the combine and is now the best receiver in the game, DeAndre Hopkins.

Granted it's only one draft comparison, but taking the guy who's a speed guy but has so many other limitations seems like a big mistake when you can get a guy who's a little slower but has so much more that he can do.

How is it not a big need you trust bolles and james as a starter?
    I trust Munchak and his coaching abilities. I think James will be healthy, and Bolles will show improvement under Munchak. I think Wilkinson is a serviceable swing OT. Denver had numerous opportunities to address OT depth in FA, and chose not to. I don't believe the FO views it as big of an issue as fans do.