Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    I could see it. But bama has been recruiting top notch and the talent in that wr core is true. I like ruggs I think he was special. Most bama games I saw he made a play or 2. It felt like tua would go one 2 and throw it alot cause one of the top 2 options where open sense they are uber talented
    Isn’t it worth asking why Ruggs was always third. Actually many times down the stretch he was option four. Jeudy and Smith didn’t disappear when it mattered. Like you said Ruggs would make a play or two here or there but he was severely out performed by the other guys.

I guess we can give the excuse that others were just chosen by Tua, but I worry there is more to the story.

Ruggs is being elevated because of his speed not his college performance

Curious about the concept of Ruggs disappearing in big games.

Question for those that have watched the tape and done the research much more then I.

What were the defensive focus on Ruggs? Did Defensive Coords always gameplan the best CB on him or keep the deep safety to his side to “take him out of the game”?

Which allowed other great players to shine? One arguably the better WR and likely chosen ahead of him.

Or was Ruggs single covered by the weakest CB and still disappeared?

I couldnt have said it better myself. With all that speed, hands, routes everyones talking about, he should have lit it up in college. Nobody should have been able to cover him. Not like they played a lot of great teams. I hope someone takes him before us so we dont even have to take the chance. I think Jeudy, Lamb, and Laviska are my top 3.

Quote Originally Posted by myoung View Post
    Isn’t it worth asking why Ruggs was always third. Actually many times down the stretch he was option four. Jeudy and Smith didn’t disappear when it mattered. Like you said Ruggs would make a play or two here or there but he was severely out performed by the other guys.

I guess we can give the excuse that others were just chosen by Tua, but I worry there is more to the story.

Ruggs is being elevated because of his speed not his college performance

I’d be stoked if we got Ruggs or Jeudy!

Quote Originally Posted by FR Tim View Post
    Curious about the concept of Ruggs disappearing in big games.

Question for those that have watched the tape and done the research much more then I.

What were the defensive focus on Ruggs? Did Defensive Coords always gameplan the best CB on him or keep the deep safety to his side to “take him out of the game”?

Which allowed other great players to shine? One arguably the better WR and likely chosen ahead of him.

Or was Ruggs single covered by the weakest CB and still disappeared?
    Ruggs was NEVER game planned against. At least that I saw. Jeudy and Smith are just too good. He got the guy defending him based on where he lined up. No different than Smith or Jeudy.

Keep in mind Alabama was putting up 300 yards a game passing. Not like anyone was getting “shut down”. And the reason it was not over 400 was they would shut it down early. Smith and Jeudy are way too good for D coordinators to try to take Ruggs out of the game.

Jeudy and Smith put up about 1200 yards each this year to Ruggs 700 and Jeudy had almost twice as many catches.

Also impressive to see what Lamb and Jefferson did. Claypool also had a huge season for Notre Dame. All these guys are fast enough and put up big numbers for big time programs.

Ruggs was very average.

But I will admit. Ruggs is as fast as they come and I see why people are in love with the guy.

If Jeudy is gone my preference is Jefferson. He is big, fast, and adjusts to the ball incredibly. And before you call him a one hit wonder, take a look, 2 years ago (before LSU was throwing the ball) he had a bigger year than Ruggs.

Ruggs last two years, very similar and very average.

In the videos I watched Ruggs seemed to be treated like an afterthought a lot. Like the QB was trying to get it to somebody else most of the time. I can't say why it was like that. Could be that was the game plan. Could be the QB had his guys that he favored, and that's not necessarily a bad thing, and maybe Ruggs was doing something or failing to do something that contributed to that situation. But I did notice that Ruggs came open a lot. As in he was practically never really covered for his entire route, he flashed open all the time. Maybe the other guys were running better routes that let the QB anticipate the throw more? I don't know. But the kid seems to be really talented and I don't think we'd be disappointed if we got him. But I'd still rather have something other than a WR as our first overall pick.

Speed kills in the NFL, you see it with Tyreek Hill, Fuller, Odell B, etc......... D's just play so differently when there is a deep threat. Ruggs isn't going to be you typical 1000 yard receiver with 15 TD's a season guy like Jeudy might, but he is going to give your offense speed and playmaking ability, something we have lacked for awhile.

I didn't watch much college ball but I can't imagine the safeties playing too near the box when Ruggs was on the field, you just can't do it. If our OC can move Ruggs around and be creative like they are in KC with Hill then he can be a difference maker.

We can't go wrong with Ruggs, Jeudy, or Lamb, but out of the 3 I think Ruggs will give this offense a different dimension and provide Lock with a genuine deep threat.

Here is my math on where we are vs last year on defense

Wolfe out = Jones and Walker in: This happened already and we saw the life without Wolfe the last month of the season. I think Walker is going to surprise, contract year and all that, and we will be fine. Would have loved to hav Wolfe back, but that is just sentimentality. Should be net zero gain/loss as defense played well without him and both young guys should be better this year.
    CHJ out = Bouye in: I think Bouye will fit Vic's system better as a boundary guy. Always thought CHJ earned his rep in the slot. Net zero gain/loss.

Gotsis out = Casey in: This is a huge step up in talent for the DL. Net +++ gain.

Parks out = Callahan in: At least we all hope Bryce is good to go, if he is this is a ++ gain for slot coverage. Parks was decent, but Callahan was a top slot guy with the Bears.

I think that is the total spots we will see turnover in. Also think Bausby and Yiadom (boundary) and Dawson (slot) offer up some good depth at CB, still prefer an upgraded starter opposite Bouye.

Defensive need:

1. Trade up for Simmons and grab CB Noah Igbinoghene or another boundary CB.
    2. Trade down and grab ILB Queen and trade up for CB.

Would go for either option and I think Vic has a top 5 D capable of matching up with the air attacks of KC or the running game of Balt.
    Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

My Math on Offense:

McGovern out = Glasgow in: I think this is an equal talent at OC, but Glasgow is a superior OG; however, lets just call it a push until we see where Glasgow ends up.
    Leary Out = James in: In for how long, right? Who knows, but on paper it is a net ++gain
    Booker out = Gordon In: Never know with RBs, this is our high risk high reward play. If we get the 2018 version, then net +++ gain if 2019 version, then no gain or loss because that will look a lot like Freeman back there.

Potential with Vannett offering solid depth and Fant being better than last year we have already improved a lot on offense.

Offensive need

1. Trade down and grab an extra 2nd and select OT, WR, or IOL late 1st...my rank 1. WR Mims 2. OT J Jones 3. OT A Jackson 4. WR Higgins
    2. Trade out of the 1st round and pick up a 2021 1st and a high 2nd.

Overall think we have already improved greatly on offense and given how young we are, should improve even more from experience and Shurmur O. I would prefer to see us finish off the defense and use 3rd round picks on O, but if we do go O, should not be at pick 15...trade down.

Quote Originally Posted by MHSalute View Post
    Here is my math on where we are vs last year on defense

Wolfe out = Jones and Walker in: This happened already and we saw the life without Wolfe the last month of the season. I think Walker is going to surprise, contract year and all that, and we will be fine. Would have loved to hav Wolfe back, but that is just sentimentality. Should be net zero gain/loss as defense played well without him and both young guys should be better this year.
    CHJ out = Bouye in: I think Bouye will fit Vic's system better as a boundary guy. Always thought CHJ earned his rep in the slot. Net zero gain/loss.

Gotsis out = Casey in: This is a huge step up in talent for the DL. Net +++ gain.

Parks out = Callahan in: At least we all hope Bryce is good to go, if he is this is a ++ gain for slot coverage. Parks was decent, but Callahan was a top slot guy with the Bears.

I think that is the total spots we will see turnover in. Also think Bausby and Yiadom (boundary) and Dawson (slot) offer up some good depth at CB, still prefer an upgraded starter opposite Bouye.

Defensive need:

1. Trade up for Simmons and grab CB Noah Igbinoghene or another boundary CB.
    2. Trade down and grab ILB Queen and trade up for CB.

Would go for either option and I think Vic has a top 5 D capable of matching up with the air attacks of KC or the running game of Balt.
    A good read. Kareem Jackson is a pretty solid starting corner but I agree that we need to add a corner fairly high in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by MHSalute View Post
    My Math on Offense:

McGovern out = Glasgow in: I think this is an equal talent at OC, but Glasgow is a superior OG; however, lets just call it a push until we see where Glasgow ends up.
    Leary Out = James in: In for how long, right? Who knows, but on paper it is a net ++gain
    Booker out = Gordon In: Never know with RBs, this is our high risk high reward play. If we get the 2018 version, then net +++ gain if 2019 version, then no gain or loss because that will look a lot like Freeman back there.

Potential with Vannett offering solid depth and Fant being better than last year we have already improved a lot on offense.

Offensive need

1. Trade down and grab an extra 2nd and select OT, WR, or IOL late 1st...my rank 1. WR Mims 2. OT J Jones 3. OT A Jackson 4. WR Higgins
    2. Trade out of the 1st round and pick up a 2021 1st and a high 2nd.

Overall think we have already improved greatly on offense and given how young we are, should improve even more from experience and Shurmur O. I would prefer to see us finish off the defense and use 3rd round picks on O, but if we do go O, should not be at pick 15...trade down.
    I know people like trading down and getting lots of picks but we have a decent 2nd and 3 3rds, I would keep pick 15 and pick a better talent up, either one of the 3 receivers, A Thomas, or Kinlaw

I think you should watch a little more Jeudy video if you think he has low YAC.
    To be clear I'm talking yards after contact, not yards after catch.

Ruggs was NEVER game planned against. At least that I saw. Jeudy and Smith are just too good. He got the guy defending him based on where he lined up. No different than Smith or Jeudy.

Keep in mind Alabama was putting up 300 yards a game passing. Not like anyone was getting “shut down”. And the reason it was not over 400 was they would shut it down early. Smith and Jeudy are way too good for D coordinators to try to take Ruggs out of the game.

Jeudy and Smith put up about 1200 yards each this year to Ruggs 700 and Jeudy had almost twice as many catches.

Also impressive to see what Lamb and Jefferson did. Claypool also had a huge season for Notre Dame. All these guys are fast enough and put up big numbers for big time programs.

Ruggs was very average.

But I will admit. Ruggs is as fast as they come and I see why people are in love with the guy.

If Jeudy is gone my preference is Jefferson. He is big, fast, and adjusts to the ball incredibly. And before you call him a one hit wonder, take a look, 2 years ago (before LSU was throwing the ball) he had a bigger year than Ruggs.

Ruggs last two years, very similar and very average.
    Never game planned against? He forced safety help over the top or deep zone coverage every game. His presence helped the underneath guys feast. It kept teams from stacking the box against Harris, especially after Tua went down. He changed the whole dynamic of that offense. It wasn't the other two helping Ruggs, it was Ruggs helping them.

Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    I know people like trading down and getting lots of picks but we have a decent 2nd and 3 3rds, I would keep pick 15 and pick a better talent up, either one of the 3 receivers, A Thomas, or Kinlaw
    I don't see the value on offense at pick 15 is all, would rather trade down and then come trade back/or up into round two like we did last year.

Quote Originally Posted by the0rangecrush View Post
    Never game planned against? He forced safety help over the top or deep zone coverage every game. His presence helped the underneath guys feast. It kept teams from stacking the box against Harris, especially after Tua went down. He changed the whole dynamic of that offense. It wasn't the other two helping Ruggs, it was Ruggs helping them.
    Alabama was loaded. I agree the other two weren’t helping Ruggs because Ruggs didn’t get much. 40 catches in that offense is not very good. I also agree Ruggs had a positive impact, that is different than being specifically game planned against. Safeties were over the top because all 4 guys could go over the top. All 4.

Lamb was game planned against in the semi final game. Go watch how LSU played him. Ruggs didn’t get anywhere near the same treatment. In the LSU game, Where was Stingley when the game mattered most? Where was Delpit?

I agree that Ruggs had an impact on how teams played them. My point is that he was not specifically game planned against like many #1 receivers are, he was not even the best deep threat on his team. If he is better than Jeudy or Smith he should have had more than 40 catches for a mediocre 748 yards.

I really like the speed and would agree he could change the dynamic of how we are covered. He would likely have a Will Fuller type of impact. But he could also be Ross, who actually had a MUCH better college career at Washington than Ruggs did at Bama.