Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

2020 NFL Draft. Rank your top 5 WRs.

This is my top 5 in my order, I know many of you will disagree but itís my own personal formula that brought me to this current order.

I actually have 6 WRs listed because I couldnít not leave CeeDee lamb out but I know many of you will disagree with where I have him ranked.

1. Jerry Jeudy 6/1, 192 LBS.
    77 REC, 1163 YDS, 10 TDS, 15.1 AVG. Jeudy play on the field speaks for itself, there ainít much I can say, we all know heíll be great. Maybe not Julio Jones or Megatron but heíll be great!

2. Denzel Mims 6/3, 215lbs, 66 rec, 1020 yds, 12 TDS, 15.5 avg. In my mock I have DENVER taking Ruggs at 15 because I believe thatís who theyíll pick but my choice would be Denzel Mims. Heís big, heís fast, and he has Rod Smith like hands, Better!

3. Justin Jefferson 6/3 192lbs. 111 rec, 1540 yds, 18 TDS, 13.9 avg. Slightly behind Mims but id be satisfied with Denver choosing him as well.

4. Henry Ruggs 6/0 190lbs. 40 rec, 746 yds, 7 TDS, 18.6 avg. fastest player in college football, perhaps he can become Tyreek Hill in the right offense.

5. Chase Claypool 6/4 229lbs. 66 rec, 1037 yds, 13 TDS, 15.7 avg. Claypool is the 2020 version of DK Metcalf!

6. CeeDee Lamb 6/2 191lbs. 62 rec, 1327 yds, 14 TDS, 21.4 avg.

Again I know you guys are going to strongly disagree with me placing CeeDee lamb here at 6 especially with a 21.4 avg but at this time I think he has somethings to work on in his transition to the pros. I know heíll get better, however this is were I am ranking him on my list in comparison to his peers at the current time.
    Last edited by Sam_Z; 03-31-2020 at 10:53 PM.

Would you mind giving a bit of insight to your personal formula for these rankings? With a lot of variables in analytics and film, I would love to see your reasoning/methodology behind this.

i don't like mims as numbner 2. i think he production is mainly due to the system and he will have a lot of learning when he gets to the pros and will take at least 2 years to hit his. lamb at 6 will make you look bad though. when he ends up as a top 5 WR in this league. his skill set is special and he is great at high pointing the ball. he is also the best with the balls in his hands

oakland raders gm
    latavis murray trade bait

Quote Originally Posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    i don't like mims as numbner 2. i think he production is mainly due to the system and he will have a lot of learning when he gets to the pros and will take at least 2 years to hit his. lamb at 6 will make you look bad though. when he ends up as a top 5 WR in this league. his skill set is special and he is great at high pointing the ball. he is also the best with the balls in his hands
    Iíll stand by it but most wrs take time to develop. Jerry Jeudy will be an exception to this, not sure about the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by HDbroncos02 View Post
    Would you mind giving a bit of insight to your personal formula for these rankings? With a lot of variables in analytics and film, I would love to see your reasoning/methodology behind this.
    Route running with anticipation, timing, chemistry, locating the area of the field where the ball will be placed. I dont like peer sight players, meaning guys that look for the ball to be thrown directly to their location, they have to run to meet the placement of the football. I put a lot into it to come to this conclusion. I tend to vary from the crowd, doing my own research and eye test!

How do you have them ranked?
    Last edited by Sam_Z; 03-31-2020 at 11:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    I’ll stand by it but most wrs take time to develop. Jerry Jeudy will be an exception to this, not sure about the rest.
    ! lamb
    2. Jeudey
    3. Ruggs
    4. Jefferson
    5. SHenualt
    6. Hamler
    7. Raegor
    8. Claypool
    9 Mims
    10 Aiyuk

would be my top tbh

most WR do take time, mainly cause your route running needs to be so much more precise and what is considered open in the college. wont happen in the nfl. in the nfl Open is covered in college. and i think Lamb may be the best to adjust to that cause he si great at high pointing the Contested catches.

oakland raders gm
    latavis murray trade bait

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    Route running with anticipation, timing, chemistry, locating the area of the field where the ball will be placed. I dont like peer sight players, meaning guys that look for the ball to be thrown directly to their location, they have to run to meet the placement of the football. I put a lot into it to come to this conclusion. I tend to vary from the crowd, doing my own research and eye test!

How do you have them ranked?
    I like those important factors that you take into consideration a lot. I would like to see an example or a small clip of what you mean by that second point (peer sight) because I feel like it does take a mix of the QB leading the receiver with appropriate ball placement and the WR having the awareness/persistence to track the ball in the air and run the full route. I would hate to have a player that merely runs their route and gives up on a play if the ball isnít delivered exactly where they want it.

With your factors, however, Iím surprised CeeDee Lamb is all the way down at #6 because heís a technical route runner (not as agile as Jeudyó he does have a better upper body and arm/hand usage off the line though) with good timing (Rileyís system calls for such), chemistry (productive with Mayfield, Murray, and Hurts), and plays the ball in the air very well (whether that 21.4 avg comes mostly from RAC or intermediate/deep passes, I am unsure). You mentioned something he has to work on when he gets to the pros, what was that unrefined trait or skill that you identified?

My WR Rankings:

1. Jerry Jeudy ó Elite agility, sweet feet. Effortless receiver with Julio/OBJ-like football speed. Concerns about contested catches and press coverage are a bit overblown, IMO. Often times so quick off of the line that press corners couldnít get a hand on him. Hard working and unselfish.

2. CeeDee Lamb ó Has that ďdogĒ in him. Plays with Hopkins/Sanders-like toughness. Insane RAC ability and exceptional body control. Best blocking receiver in the draft. I like his consistent production with three different QBs at OU. I easily see him having a Larry Fitzgerald type of career.

3. Henry Ruggs III ó Video game speed and the most athletic player when he steps on the field. I see him being a Tyreek Hill-type of gadget player, but more like Hollywood Brown as a receiver. Would flourish in Shurmurís offense.

4. Denzel Mims ó The rawest out of the bunch, but has Demaryius Thomas potential. Uses his size and athleticism well, and his cuts are just so beautiful to watch. If he works on beating press a little bit more, he could become every cornerbackís worst nightmare at the line. Has the tools to be a good route runner, just limited by Baylorís system (3-cone drill star much like Courtland Sutton).

5. Justin Jefferson ó Lots of polish and the most ďpro-readyĒ out of the Tier 2-3 WRs. Lazy comp here is Jarvis Landry and some Marvin Jones Jr. to his game. Solid route runner with natural hands and plus-athleticism for someone with his skill set.

1. Henry Ruggs III
    2. Henry Ruggs III
    3. Henry Ruggs III
    4. Chase Claypool
    5. Chase Claypool
    6. Peoples-Jones

I think I got everyone

Since I do not see the value in taking any WR at 15, my list will be top 5 best values

1. Higgins early 2nd round - Huge catch radius and ability to track and high point ball.
    2. Jefferson late 1st - This is a slot WR target to upgrade Hamilton. Tremendous ball skills and ability to twist and make the catch. Lock could back shoulder this guy all day.
    3 Aiyuk early to mid 2nd - Oozes potential. Would not surprise me one bit if after a year he is as good as any WR in this class. Instant ST value too 32 YPR KO and 16 YPR punts.
    4. Claypool early to mid 3rd - If he gets a teams #2 CB he will have a decent career, do not see #1 upside here. Think his best success will come from "Big Slot" similar to what Lazard does in GB.
    5. Ty Johnson late 3rd early 4th - Just a physical WR that is not afraid to mix it up, another slot guy, but really good routes and ball winning skills...zone killer.

My criteria:

A) Ball winning skills. Regardless of speed, you have to be able to win the 50/50 balls.
    B) Natural pass catcher, nothing worse imo than drops or body catching.
    C) Route running or YAC. Create space pass the sticks or make things happen after the catch have one of these traits
    5) Speed vastly overrated. Give me Fitzgerald and Boldin all day long, neither ran under 4.5.
    Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

1. Ceedee Lamb
    2. Jerry Jeudy
    3. Justin Jefferson
    4. Tyler Johnson
    5. Denzel Mims

Lamb is getting critiqued to death because he isnít a nuanced route runner, but heís still a very good route runner who just needs some coaching on the finer points of route running. Elite body control and great ability to high point the ball. Good enough speed to be a threat all over the field when you factor in the body control/ball tracking. Incredible hands, the one handed catch against I believe UCLA was ridiculous. I donít think he got a foot down but catching a football like that shouldnít be possible.

Jeudy is a terrific route runner similar to the past few guys that have come out of Alabama. His hands are good enough and heís dangerous in the open field. He will improve anyoneís passing attack immediately.

Jefferson is similar to Jeudy but I think youíre trading some yards after the catch for better hands. He probably needs to get stronger for the NFL but he will slide in seamlessly to whatever offense heís in.

Johnson is just very good at everything. He reminds me a lot of Keenan Allen coming out. Another guy that will come in and produce immediatel. He may not be a No. 1 WR immediately but he will be a terrific compliment to anyone.

Mims is a physical freak who needs some coaching. But heís got good body control and tracks the ball well. Despite his incredible combine you donít see much separation in his games but the combine tells you he has the potential to be a very good route runner. Highly impressed with his blocking, he sets a tone that a lot of CBs wonít want to match. Even if he doesnít develop as a route runner, DK Metcalf showed you donít always need it. Well Calvin Johnson really did it as 75% of his route tree was 4 routes, slants, posts, curls, and go routes and Mims can do all that.

Yes I left Ruggs off. His speed and hands are great. I donít see the Hill comparison as accurate because he canít stop on a dime like Hill which is really what makes him so impossible to cover. His route running isnít good (people have romanticized him so much that heís suddenly become great at this through the draft process) and he really struggles with press coverage. Yes his speed still gives him immense value because it forces a defense to always have that safety over the top and heís a terror on crossing routes. But I think those top 4 guys can all put up 1000 yards year 1, and Mims can too if heís utilized correctly. Iím not sure Ruggs will really get going immediately although he should finish strong much like Samuel this year.

1. Jeudy
    2. Lamb
    3. Ruggs
    4. Jefferson
    5. Aiyuk

Shenault would have been on the list rather than Aiyuk if it weren't for injuries.

1- Jeudy in a tier by himself
    2- Lamb
    3- Jefferson
    4- Ruggs
    5- Higgins

but this draft is really deep at WR. I think you could argue any of the next 5- 10 will be above average starters

Mims
    Aiyuk
    Claypool
    Hamler
    Shenault
    Pittman
    Raegor

All have tremendous potential, IMO

Charles Davis has 7 WRs go in round one:

9 Jeudy Jets
    12 Lamb Raiders
    15 Ruggs Broncos
    21 Higgins Eagles
    25 Jefferson Vikes
    30 Shenault Pack
    31 Aiyuk SF

Just one man's mock....but does tell you how valuable and wanted these WRs are this year.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Charles Davis has 7 WRs go in round one:

9 Jeudy Jets
    12 Lamb Raiders
    15 Ruggs Broncos
    21 Higgins Eagles
    25 Jefferson Vikes
    30 Shenault Pack
    31 Aiyuk SF

Just one man's mock....but does tell you how valuable and wanted these WRs are this year.
    Thanks for posting. I have also been reading a lot of good stuff on Pittman. I watched some of his highlights. His ability to track the ball is fantastic. Starting to like him more in the second. I think the comparisons to JuJu are not bad