Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

What are chances of the season being canceled?

As we know, a lot of teams should be getting prepared for the season. Players would normally be in the gym, doing drills or practicing with each other to get in sync. Since social distancing is in place, how are teams supposed to prepare at this time? Teams will definitely be rusting going into the season.
    Go Hard or Go Home

I am a bit of an optimist, but I feel like we will have a season, even if it does not start on time. We may even see games without fans for some portion, but I believe the season will happen...just a question of how many games or how late will it go.

We should all feel relieved after this :

https://sports.yahoo.com/president-t...202620506.html

I would just add that, hope everyone stays Safe. Eventually things will get back to what they say will be the new Normal.

Quote Originally Posted by colowoz View Post
    We should all feel relieved after this :

https://sports.yahoo.com/president-t...202620506.html

I would just add that, hope everyone stays Safe. Eventually things will get back to what they say will be the new Normal.
    When this is over things will go back to exactly the same, humans are creatures of habit and once everyone is back at work, sport, restaurants, clubs, etc......... then they will mix with each other and get on with their lives as before. This will just become a footnote in history like everything else that has come before.

People who think this will change anything when its gone just don't understand humans. The only change will be more vigilance behind the scenes with research.

I think there is a decent possibility the season starts on time. There could be a delay to allow enough time for training camp/preseason. Maybe the season could start on-time if a preseason game is removed. The “wildcard” is a second round of Coronavirus in the fall. We could see the season start only to be stopped due to re-emergence of the virus, maybe another strain.

I think right now the odds are 60-40 for the season. 2-3 weeks ago I would have said 80-20 for the season. It will probably be delayed for 1-4 weeks but that's just my optimistic/pessimistic opinion.
    I do hope the restrictions are going away by May.

So far I'm impressed that politics have pretty much stayed out of this (although we came close) so I'm going to keep this thread open for now. But this is a reminder that no political discussion will be accepted.

The properties that brought this virus all the way from Wuhan to the US, from zero cases to hundrrds of thousands confirmed, so quickly will not change. Until there is herd immunity, I expect the virus to re-emerge unless we develop means to prophylactically prevent its spread. I am afraid that with all of our efforts, it will simply appear again as soon as our guards drop. I don't foresee circumstances where tens of thousands gathering will happen for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by CheyennePress View Post
    The properties that brought this virus all the way from Wuhan to the US, from zero cases to hundrrds of thousands confirmed, so quickly will not change. Until there is herd immunity, I expect the virus to re-emerge unless we develop means to prophylactically prevent its spread. I am afraid that with all of our efforts, it will simply appear again as soon as our guards drop. I don't foresee circumstances where tens of thousands gathering will happen for some time.
    China has largely returned to normal, in Wuhan people have started to leave the house and free movement out of the city will be allowed on 8th April, they are beginning to return to normal life.

Numbers are falling each day in Italy.

In Spain - From BBC news

Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez says the country is "close to passing the peak of infections" as the number of coronavirus deaths fell for the second day in a row.

Mr Sánchez also extended lockdown measures until 25 April, saying the restrictions were "saving lives".

The toll of 809 deaths in one day is the lowest in Spain for a week.

Addressing the nation, Mr Sánchez said extending the lockdown for two weeks was necessary to give the health service time to recover.

"These are the most difficult days of our lives," he said.

Once the number of new infections was under control a "progressive return to a new normal" would get under way to rebuild the economy, he said. New hygiene, detection and tracing measures would be in place.

The States are just a few weeks behind Europe. Your see numbers go up each day for a few weeks and peak, then slowly come back down.

September is a long way away, if mass gatherings are not allowed at that stage (they will be) then millions will be out of work.... all the sports across the world, festivals, etc...... that would have to be cancelled and the staff released would be far far far more damaging then any virus.

Bottom line, this is only sustainable for a limited time. Look at the damage it is doing to businesses and the economy in Europe, and the lockdown has only been 2-4 weeks.

I agree with your statement regarding crowds. At this point in time and with what we DON'T KNOW, I don't think we can even call it a coin toss.
    Way to many unknowns.

Right now the immediate path of the USA if not the world is like a river raft going down a raging uncharted river that is 10 times worse than the Colorado River at peak levels and the river we're going down has never been navigated before, we don't know the length of the river, there are no maps, no satellite images, we have no idea how much intense white water and massive boulders are ahead of us, the sun is beginning to set, a storm is brewing and we desperately and quickly need to find a sandy beach...any beach, to find shelter, get rest and rethink strategy... if there is any...and then mentally prepare as best we can to enter the daunting river with overwhelming consternation the next morning, and not knowing if or when we will reach calm waters and the bright warm sun is shining on our faces...a true miracle.

I believe our biggest and most realistic hope for a normal anything (NFL season?) is for a quality vaccine to be developed quickly, proven to be 100% effective and certainly safe. But then we will have to quickly manufacture well over 300 million doses and distribute and administer them quickly to the American public, which would basically be....a quick miracle.

NFL season...maybe.
    Utah Bronco Freak

Historically, the majority of pandemics come in waves.

It would be not surprising at all if this were to happen with covid 19.

Quote Originally Posted by MH Stampede View Post
    Historically, the majority of pandemics come in waves.

It would be not surprising at all if this were to happen with covid 19.
    You are correct. I just finished viewing some web sites educating myself on the 1918 Flu pandemic which technically began in Europe in 1916 and ended in 1919. It is usually referred to as the 1918 Pandemic due to that being the height and the deadliest year world wide.

1st Wave: April 1918 is when this flu started to accelerate world wide and by October 1918 there were 195,000 deaths alone in the USA.

2nd Wave: September - November 1918 was highly fatal and when most deaths occurred world wide. The most probable reason is believed to be that the virus mutated within large groups of WWI soldiers moving about in numerous ships, trains and large military encampments.

3rd Wave: January to early spring 1919 and the flu virus finally ended in the summer 1919 due to people who had it either died or became immune.

It appears likely we will have a second wave of this virus right about the time the 2020 NFL season begins. BUMMER!

Fascinating information / history. Go online and check it out.
    Utah Bronco Freak

Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    China has largely returned to normal, in Wuhan people have started to leave the house and free movement out of the city will be allowed on 8th April, they are beginning to return to normal life.

Numbers are falling each day in Italy.

In Spain - From BBC news

Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez says the country is "close to passing the peak of infections" as the number of coronavirus deaths fell for the second day in a row.

Mr Sánchez also extended lockdown measures until 25 April, saying the restrictions were "saving lives".

The toll of 809 deaths in one day is the lowest in Spain for a week.

Addressing the nation, Mr Sánchez said extending the lockdown for two weeks was necessary to give the health service time to recover.

"These are the most difficult days of our lives," he said.

Once the number of new infections was under control a "progressive return to a new normal" would get under way to rebuild the economy, he said. New hygiene, detection and tracing measures would be in place.

The States are just a few weeks behind Europe. Your see numbers go up each day for a few weeks and peak, then slowly come back down.

September is a long way away, if mass gatherings are not allowed at that stage (they will be) then millions will be out of work.... all the sports across the world, festivals, etc...... that would have to be cancelled and the staff released would be far far far more damaging then any virus.

Bottom line, this is only sustainable for a limited time. Look at the damage it is doing to businesses and the economy in Europe, and the lockdown has only been 2-4 weeks.
    Didn’t China just go back under lockdown because they thought they were over it already and it was too soon?

Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    Didn’t China just go back under lockdown because they thought they were over it already and it was too soon?
    I have not seen this but would not surprise me. China has been understating the effect on their country so hard to evaluate based on their information.

Until large number of people have been exposed and recovered (though normal exposure or vaccine) we will be one "patient zero" away from having another outbreak.

Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    Also consider that news out of China is....suspect.