Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 91
  1. #46
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    hampshire,england
    Posts
    12,878
    Quote Originally Posted by MH Stampede View Post
    I think we will see...something. Doubtful its a full season though. Maybe a shortened season.

    Make no mistake though, there is a very real chance there will be nothing at all.
    I can't believe some people think a season that begins in Aug and Sep (TC included) could be in trouble. I know we live in the age of mass drama and over-reaction but still..................

    Over here in the UK it has been talked about that April will be the peak, and the businesses and schools are looking to go back in early May. May will see a slow recovery of things opening gradually, but come June and July I expect things to be largely returned to normal.

    Without going into the whole situation again it is all over the news here about the damage it is doing to businesses, sports clubs, and peoples social and mental well-being, they will extend this lockdown throughout April as there is no choice but there is absolutely no way the lockdown can extend into May, it is just not feasible nor sustainable.

    Football clubs here are hoping to start games in June and have fans back in late June, early July.

    If all mass gatherings are closed including festivals, theatres, sports, etc........ for months on end then it will destroy the economy and thousands of jobs and businesses, it cannot happen.

    Once people are back working and at school they will go out to the cinema, restaurants, theatres, sports, shops, beaches, holidays, etc............ and start mixing with everyone again, then life will start getting back to normal.

    We are about a month behind China who has started to get back to normality, the US are a few weeks behind us.

    I know Trump wants things back very soon and that may be unlikely but my guess is you will have the NBA season played behind closed doors, then the playoffs will have fans..... probably sometime around July at the latest. The NFL season is months away and will be absolutely fine.

    Health will always come first but there has to be a balance between that and getting back to normal as soon as possible for social and economic reasons.

    This is a serious virus as it is new and unknown, but some people need to keep some perspective. People die every day, death and illness did not start with this virus, 150,000 people die every single day in the world but it is not splashed across the news and social media every day so people do not see or hear about it. The sad truth is that there are many dangers and illnesses in the world and this will not stop when this new virus runs its course, but life cannot be stopped for long because of it.

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    17,323
    Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    I can't believe some people think a season that begins in Aug and Sep (TC included) could be in trouble. I know we live in the age of mass drama and over-reaction but still..................

    Over here in the UK it has been talked about that April will be the peak, and the businesses and schools are looking to go back in early May. May will see a slow recovery of things opening gradually, but come June and July I expect things to be largely returned to normal.

    Without going into the whole situation again it is all over the news here about the damage it is doing to businesses, sports clubs, and peoples social and mental well-being, they will extend this lockdown throughout April as there is no choice but there is absolutely no way the lockdown can extend into May, it is just not feasible nor sustainable.

    Football clubs here are hoping to start games in June and have fans back in late June, early July.

    If all mass gatherings are closed including festivals, theatres, sports, etc........ for months on end then it will destroy the economy and thousands of jobs and businesses, it cannot happen.

    Once people are back working and at school they will go out to the cinema, restaurants, theatres, sports, shops, beaches, holidays, etc............ and start mixing with everyone again, then life will start getting back to normal.

    We are about a month behind China who has started to get back to normality, the US are a few weeks behind us.

    I know Trump wants things back very soon and that may be unlikely but my guess is you will have the NBA season played behind closed doors, then the playoffs will have fans..... probably sometime around July at the latest. The NFL season is months away and will be absolutely fine.

    Health will always come first but there has to be a balance between that and getting back to normal as soon as possible for social and economic reasons.

    This is a serious virus as it is new and unknown, but some people need to keep some perspective. People die every day, death and illness did not start with this virus, 150,000 people die every single day in the world but it is not splashed across the news and social media every day so people do not see or hear about it. The sad truth is that there are many dangers and illnesses in the world and this will not stop when this new virus runs its course, but life cannot be stopped for long because of it.
    How about we are talking about it because the chances are above 0% and every other sport has been canceled or delayed so what else are we going to talk about?

    There is literally nothing else sports wise to talk about for a month now.

    I donít think people are spreading fear just because we are discussing the possibility.

    Yesterday news spread that the draft is now at risk because many teams do not want IT personnel coming into their homes to help setup for the online draft because they donít want the risk of those people bringing the virus into their homes.

    Itís not spreading fear when there still isnít a vaccine developed yet. Until there is all talk of a flattening curve is false hope and nothing more than a factor of people staying at home. Once everyone is released back into the public without a vaccine there is no reason to believe it wonít kick back up. Itís already happened in China.

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    hampshire,england
    Posts
    12,878
    Quote Originally Posted by DenverBlood View Post
    How about we are talking about it because the chances are above 0% and every other sport has been canceled or delayed so what else are we going to talk about?

    There is literally nothing else sports wise to talk about for a month now.

    I don’t think people are spreading fear just because we are discussing the possibility.

    Yesterday news spread that the draft is now at risk because many teams do not want IT personnel coming into their homes to help setup for the online draft because they don’t want the risk of those people bringing the virus into their homes.

    It’s not spreading fear when there still isn’t a vaccine developed yet. Until there is all talk of a flattening curve is false hope and nothing more than a factor of people staying at home. Once everyone is released back into the public without a vaccine there is no reason to believe it won’t kick back up. It’s already happened in China.
    Yea I guess its something to talk about, won't happen though. Regarding the draft I just looked around the internet including on some of the more respected NFL journos, all it talked about was how they are looking into helping charities on draft night and that it will be fully virtual, over here it just got announced that all 3 days of coverage will be live on sky sports which is great for me. The draft is going ahead.

    Who knows about a second wave, once life is open you can't shut it down again. People won't allow it and the economy can't handle it, you can't hide indoors forever, at some point life has to go on, and as I said before people die every day from horrible stuff and that won't stop once this virus is contained. Life has to go on.

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    10,468
    Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    Yea I guess its something to talk about, won't happen though. Regarding the draft I just looked around the internet including on some of the more respected NFL journos, all it talked about was how they are looking into helping charities on draft night and that it will be fully virtual, over here it just got announced that all 3 days of coverage will be live on sky sports which is great for me. The draft is going ahead.

    Who knows about a second wave, once life is open you can't shut it down again. People won't allow it and the economy can't handle it, you can't hide indoors forever, at some point life has to go on, and as I said before people die every day from horrible stuff and that won't stop once this virus is contained. Life has to go on.
    The flip side to that is you can't open up society with a "good luck, we don't know what to tell you" and expect life to go back to normal. At some point, the information and data will have to comfort people and give them confidence to go out and participate. Who wants to go to a restaurant or bar now, or in a month, or in 2 months? And that's minimal people. I doubt many are willing to go shoulder to shoulder with 75,000 people any time soon. And as was stated above, it's up to local leadership. I saw the Governor of California said he didn't anticipate any big sporting events until at least November. Can the league as a whole begin without all the teams' states ready to go? We are still way too early in this to expect any hard dates any time soon IMHO.

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,705
    I work for a very large corporation. Our revenue is dependent on pretty much the whole stay at home thing ending.

    We are projecting things will not start to turn around until Oct 2020 which probably means they thinking the stay at home stuff will end a month before that.

    The NFL will probably have a more aggressive approach but I think it is very real to expect games without fans.

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    11,298
    For a moment letís assume the season starts on schedule. How many fans will realistically be able to afford going to games? There will always be people who can afford it however, 2019 was the lowest average attendance in 15 years. Keep in mind that was during an economy with employment at a record level.

    Last week 6.6 million people filed unemployment claims. Thatís on top of what, 2.3 million the previous week? There are roughly 30 million workers in the restaurant, hotel, airline and travel industry. There is a good possibility 90-95% of those 30 million will be unemployed by the end of 2Q. The Federal Reserve in St. Louis forecasts 47 million people unemployed by end of 2020.

    Regardless of how long unemployment benefits are extended, most people wonít have the discretionary income for attending football games.

    The draft will be the least of anyoneís concern if we donít start the process of opening the country for business. Football season wonít matter. People will be standing in line for food rations, not a concession stand paying $12 for a craft beer at a game.

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,705
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    For a moment let’s assume the season starts on schedule. How many fans will realistically be able to afford going to games? There will always be people who can afford it however, 2019 was the lowest average attendance in 15 years. Keep in mind that was during an economy with employment at a record level.

    Last week 6.6 million people filed unemployment claims. That’s on top of what, 2.3 million the previous week? There are roughly 30 million workers in the restaurant, hotel, airline and travel industry. There is a good possibility 90-95% of those 30 million will be unemployed by the end of 2Q. The Federal Reserve in St. Louis forecasts 47 million people unemployed by end of 2020.

    Regardless of how long unemployment benefits are extended, most people won’t have the discretionary income for attending football games.

    The draft will be the least of anyone’s concern if we don’t start the process of opening the country for business. Football season won’t matter. People will be standing in line for food rations, not a concession stand paying $12 for a craft beer at a game.
    Maybe ticket re-sellers will still buy tickets but I think there will be a lot of empty seats one way or another.

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    11,298
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadez View Post
    Maybe ticket re-sellers will still buy tickets but I think there will be a lot of empty seats one way or another.
    Agree. There is a good amount of time between now and September, but it goes fast. Itís not like weíll turn a switch and everything will be the same. Iím not trying to be pessimistic, just the reality of getting things moving again.

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    10,468
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadez View Post
    Maybe ticket re-sellers will still buy tickets but I think there will be a lot of empty seats one way or another.
    Totally agree. There will obviously be people who are willing to go with no worries, but then there's people (like me) who won't chance it. If they start in August and September, I see a lot of games looking like those last couple home games with thousands of no shows. I wonder if the NFL would care if they had half empty seats, or just be happy to have fans at all.

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    11,298
    Update: 16.8 million Americans lost jobs in the last 3 weeks (doesnít capture every loss).

    Itís very possible the Fedís prediction of 47 million unemployed. Itís possible we can snap back quickly but there will be collateral damage.

    The fourth turning in play.

    Again, whether the season starts on time, postponed or delayed itís very realistic to think weíll see a lot of empty seats. If things snap back sharply there could be higher demand to get out to be at events like NFL games.

    Weíll see.
    Last edited by Fantaztic7; 04-09-2020 at 03:35 PM.

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    hampshire,england
    Posts
    12,878
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    Update: 16.8 million Americans lost jobs in the last 3 weeks (doesn’t capture every loss).

    It’s very possible the Fed’s prediction of 47 million unemployed. It’s possible we can snap back quickly but there will be collateral damage.

    The fourth turning in play.

    Again, whether the season starts on time, postponed or delayed it’s very realistic to think we’ll see a lot of empty seats. If things snap back sharply there could be higher demand to get out to be at events like NFL games.

    We’ll see.
    Which is why things have to start opening up as soon as possible. Obviosuly health comes first and during April, into May places will need to be locked down, but it is not feasible or sustainable to go into June without life largely returned to normal. It would be far too devastating to millions upon millions of peoples livelihoods.

    When some people start talking about places being shut most of the year or months on end I don't really think they understand why that cannot happen.

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    11,298
    Quote Originally Posted by bronx_2003 View Post
    Which is why things have to start opening up as soon as possible. Obviosuly health comes first and during April, into May places will need to be locked down, but it is not feasible or sustainable to go into June without life largely returned to normal. It would be far too devastating to millions upon millions of peoples livelihoods.

    When some people start talking about places being shut most of the year or months on end I don't really think they understand why that cannot happen.
    Very few people if anyone believed we would shut down vast swaths of the country (any country). But here we are. When things shut down for two weeks how many people thought it would extend two more weeks? Another month after that? Now itís very possible to remain largely closed through mid-June. While we might not believe this is sustainable and it isnít, there are forces pushing to remain closed.

    There will be a point whereby long term damage to the economy will occur. In the 2008-2009 financial crisis it took 10 months to lose 16 million jobs in the United States. Weíve lost more than 16 million jobs in three weeks - think about that.

    Iím generally optimistic things will recover. However, things are not going to flip back as if nothing happened.

    Hopeful weíll have a football season - not for the sake of football in and of itself. It would be a good sign weíre getting things back on track. Aside from the economic impact a lot of people have lost their lives.

    On a positive note a lot of people are finding new ways to do business and solve problems.
    Last edited by Fantaztic7; 04-09-2020 at 06:01 PM.

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    hampshire,england
    Posts
    12,878
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    Very few people if anyone believed we would shut down vast swaths of the country (any country). But here we are. When things shut down for two weeks how many people thought it would extend two more weeks? Another month after that? Now it’s very possible to remain largely closed through mid-June. While we might not believe this is sustainable and it isn’t, there are forces pushing to remain closed.

    There will be a point whereby long term damage to the economy will occur. In the 2008-2009 financial crisis it took 10 months to lose 16 million jobs in the United States. We’ve lost more than 16 million jobs in three weeks - think about that.

    I’m generally optimistic things will recover. However, things are not going to flip back as if nothing happened.

    Hopeful we’ll have a football season - not for the sake of football in and of itself. It would be a good sign we’re getting things back on track. Aside from the economic impact a lot of people have lost their lives.

    On a positive note a lot of people are finding new ways to do business and solve problems.
    Who knows what will happen. I always thought that in the UK we would shut down for April and May while it peaked and then gradually open things up lmid-late May. The US are about 2 weeks behind the UK in the pandemic.

    On our news today there was a lot of talk about how many people have lost their lives due to the economic reasons since the shutdown (I can't remember the number but it was fairly high), they mentioned that by May that number would be a lot higher and if the lockdown lasted throughout May more people would be dying from the economic effects then the virus. There has also been a lot of talk about the damage it is doing to children missing out on education in school and that the schools should re-open early-mid May.

    I cannot speak for the States but over here there is no way from everything I have seen on the news that the lockdown can last much into May. Once places start to open up again I could see people being hesitant about going to restaurants, cinemas, sporting events, etc........... for a few weeks but once people are back at work and mixing with staff and customers, as well as at the shops, etc.......... then they won't be put off with mixing with larger numbers, and people will resume with their normal lives. Humans are creatures of habit.

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Left of Colorado
    Posts
    1,243
    Horrible to predict how to balance between protecting the "economy" versus preventing increasing the amount "death".

    Right now I'm leaning heavily for life without football verses life with assured and unnecessary deaths.

    Is sports really more important to help the economy or is it if people can't enjoy games we might as well be dead....really?

    Where do we draw the line between humanity and the game of the week?

    Today the risk to start resuming life as it was because people are too selfish go without sports is not worth having to say later, what the hell were we thinking!
    Utah Bronco Freak

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    15,093
    Quote Originally Posted by nickmeyer View Post
    I think it is ridiculous that some individuals believe it won't be around then...I'm no doctor but I am doing my best to read factual information and based off of the factual information I have read, this thing will still be a problem into 2021.....Now by then hopefully we have a better handle on it.

    To me it is entirely possible the Season is canceled for 2020.
    China is opening up everything, Wuhan was locked down for 76 days. So there is light at the end of the tunnel, and if a densely populated country with over 1 billion people can do it in less than 3 months, it likely other countries can to.

    On the flip side Sweden and the Netherlands have zero restrictions on anything, and while their numbers aren't great, and I'm not advocating that approach, their numbers aren't any worse (or any better for that matter) than countries with massive restrictions in place.

    The virus will stick around, and there will likely be multiple waves after this one, but I don't think we'll see massive shutdowns like this again. Everyday we're learning more about the virus, and we're seeing the outbreaks aren't nearly as bad as the models suggested. I think by the summer it's business as usual, and when fall rolls around the virus isn't given much more thought than the flu.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •