Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    I missed the days when we had great LBs. Keeps me thinking how great we had it back when we had Al Wilson, Ian Gold, and DJ Williams. Filthy combo

Quote Originally Posted by Murph2432 View Post
    I missed the days when we had great LBs. Keeps me thinking how great we had it back when we had Al Wilson, Ian Gold, and DJ Williams. Filthy combo
    That was a fast, athletic group of backers. They were even more impressive, IMO, having had to play behind the relatively weak Denver defensive lines of the mid 2000s. The Gerard Warrens, John Englebergers and Ebenezer Ekubans of the world were hardly world-beaters.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    That was a fast, athletic group of backers. They were even more impressive, IMO, having had to play behind the relatively weak Denver defensive lines of the mid 2000s. The Gerard Warrens, John Englebergers and Ebenezer Ekubans of the world were hardly world-beaters.
    Yep that was a really good LB core. Since Von Miller showed up our emphasis has been pass rush first disruptive ILB's second.

On the thread subject: I doubt at #15 we take a LB. A trade down and yes I could see it, Murray and Queen should be taken soon after #15. A trade up for Simmons would cost more than Elway and Company may be willing to spend.
    Last edited by WYBRONCO; 04-08-2020 at 07:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Murph2432 View Post
    Another great group was Randy Gradishar, Joe Rizzo, Tom Jackson and Bob Swenson.
    Last edited by samparnell; 04-08-2020 at 09:01 AM. Reason: wording
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

I would like to see Denver select Ruggs if available first. Then move back into the first to grab Queen.

I really like Murray if the 3 WRs are off the board, the guy has great closing speed and can play sideline to sideline. I haven't been able to see much of him in coverage, but with his speed I am sure he could adjust.

I guess my argument would be that ILB is going to be the biggest upgrade imo.

Todd Davis has started 63 games and produced

1 FF
    2 FR
    1 INT
    21 TFL
    11 QB hits
    13 PD

Todd is a very solid reserve player who is currently starting and on the field for 85% of our defensive snaps...but he is not a play maker. He cleans up past the LOS (as seen by low number of TFL) does not cause TO, and is really not exceptional in any area.

So if we were to replace Todd with say Lavonte David

5 FF (in one year)
    5 FR (in one year)
    5 INT (in one year)
    21 TFL (in one year)
    13 QB hits (in one year)
    13 PD (in one year)

Think that would really boost our defense form middle of the road (25th in TOs, 26th in QB Hits, and 19th in yards per play). I use David as an example, because that is who Queen has been compared to. There is just a huge lift opportunity for the 85% of the defensive snaps here.
    Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Quote Originally Posted by MHSalute View Post
    I guess my argument would be that ILB is going to be the biggest upgrade imo.

Todd Davis has started 63 games and produced

1 FF
    2 FR
    1 INT
    21 TFL
    11 QB hits
    13 PD

Todd is a very solid reserve player who is currently starting and on the field for 85% of our defensive snaps...but he is not a play maker. He cleans up past the LOS (as seen by low number of TFL) does not cause TO, and is really not exceptional in any area.

So if we were to replace Todd with say Lavonte David

5 FF (in one year)
    5 FR (in one year)
    5 INT (in one year)
    21 TFL (in one year)
    13 QB hits (in one year)
    13 PD (in one year)

Think that would really boost our defense form middle of the road (25th in TOs, 26th in QB Hits, and 19th in yards per play). I use David as an example, because that is who Queen has been compared to. There is just a huge lift opportunity for the 85% of the defensive snaps here.
    I have been an ardent Todd Davis defender on this board, but those numbers really just illustrate how pedestrian and unspectacular he has been on defense for us. Of course he isnít the flashiest player, but this makes it apparent how badly weíve lacked playmaking at the MLB position for years now (aside from AJ Johnsonís emergence last season.

Not to be nit-picky about stats, but I went on Pro Football Reference and I compared Davis and Lavonte David from 2016 to 2019 (when Davis took over as a starter full time).

Todd Davis:
    11 QB hits, 18 TFL, 2.0 sacks, 1 FF, 1 FR, 1 INT

Lavonte David:
    25 QB hits, 48 TFL, 9.5 sacks, 13 FF, 10 FR, 2 INT

Davis looks more and more like the ďLance BallĒ of our defense. David clearly impacts the game much more. But what about coverage you ask? I looked at their coverage stats for 2019.

Todd Davis:
    61/79 (77.2%), 526 yards, 3 TD allowed, 106.8 rating

Lavonte David:
    57/90 (63.3%), 491 yards, 0 TD allowed, 73.0 rating

Now, Iím unsure how their respective duties differed in two different systems, but itís obvious that Davis is nowhere close to Davidís Pro Bowl level of play. And not all MLBs in the league are of Davidís caliber either. If Patrick Queen can make the same kind of difference on defense as David does, he should go much higher than the late 1st round.

Itís clear we need an upgrade at MLB, despite exercising Davisí team option for this upcoming season. Perhaps heís a bridge LB until we make a decision in 2021 at the position (similarly to Bolles at LT). Who knows?

I'd be all for the trade up back into the 1st for one of those 2. This year's 2nd, and the 1st of our 3rds plus next year's 3rd and 4th? I really think we have to find a way to keep 2 of our 3rds this year. Ruggs, queen (round 1) a DB and IOL in thr 3rd? Or trade back with Minnesota for their 1st rounders and give them both our 15 and a 3rd this year and next year....no the value isn't exact, its the premium they pay for moving up. That gives us say Jefferson and Queen/Murray in round 1 and still have 3 picks in the next 2 rounds for DB, IOL and developmental Tackle....boom AlaskaJoes mock draft. Good night folks!