Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk CB

Quote Originally Posted by the0rangecrush View Post
    Bryce Hall is my guy. Reminds me of Fuller on Chicago. If not for his injury we would be talking about him a lot higher.
    I think we have to take Hall with our 46th pick to get him. If we didn't make any trades I would love a scenario of.

1. Ruggs
    2. Hall
    3. KJ Hamler
    3. Amik Robertson
    3. Peart

Not even KC could touch our speed.
    "He's going to be the #1 receiver, and is going to be a star in this league for a long time" Todd Mcshay on Jerry Jeudy

Quote Originally Posted by killacal View Post
    I think you left Tony pride Jr from ND. I think he would be a good addition in the 3rd round
    Troy Pride Jr. is lower on my board outside of the range that I would want to add an early corner in. I donít think he could come in and lock down that CB2 spot right away. I do like that he is a natural fit as a boundary corner. He played a lot of zone at ND and looked very comfortable. Heís got great, effortless movement skills. He doesnít lack the upper body stiffness that I see with some of the CB prospects like Bryce Hall. Heís just not overly physical and will get bullied by bigger receivers, IMO. I wouldnít be upset if we used a 3rd round pick on him, though. I trust Fangio and Donatell to develop him and put him in situations where he can succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    I wouldnít sleep on Antoine Winfield being drafted to play CB early with a transition to S to replace Jackson down the road.
    I love Antoine Winfield Jr., I think heís got the best ball skills out of anyone in this draft. I agree, he could play nickel initially and take over for KJax in the future. If Callahan isnít trusted to be healthy this upcoming year, I could see Winfield Jr. or a nickel CB/S being drafted in the first 4 rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    My worry is receivers in the nfl are alot better at beating press then in the college game. He will struggle alot and I am not sure he can adapt with his speed. He probably needs to convert to safety in the nfl
    Welp, right on cue Dantzler runs a 4.38 at his Baton Rouge Pro Day. https://twitter.com/adamschefter/sta...749260800?s=21

Quote Originally Posted by HDbroncos02 View Post
    Welp, right on cue Dantzler runs a 4.38 at his Baton Rouge Pro Day. https://twitter.com/adamschefter/sta...749260800?s=21
    That 4.38 40 video is fast by at least .04 when you slow it down.

This was allbrights take

Quote Originally Posted by the0rangecrush View Post
    That 4.38 40 video is fast by at least .04 when you slow it down.

This was allbrights take
    To be honest, I take these local pro day times with a grain of salt because thereís so many things that can be manipulated since scouts and execs arenít there with their own stopwatches and eyes to evaluate.

Thereís no way Dantzler is faster than Henderson, but heís no snail either. Realistically, I think Dantzler is a 4.50-4.55 player. Concerns about his speed never showed up on scouting reports until after the Combine. So what does that suggest? Going back to the tape and checking to see if his long speed was a weakness or a liability in his game... and quite frankly, it isnít. Or at least I didnít see him getting burned by SEC athletes down field. Iím going to stick with my evaluation until I see NFL receivers prove me wrong.

To be honest, I take these local pro day times with a grain of salt because thereís so many things that can be manipulated since scouts and execs arenít there with their own stopwatches and eyes to evaluate.

Thereís no way Dantzler is faster than Henderson, but heís no snail either. Realistically, I think Dantzler is a 4.50-4.55 player. Concerns about his speed never showed up on scouting reports until after the Combine. So what does that suggest? Going back to the tape and checking to see if his long speed was a weakness or a liability in his game... and quite frankly, it isnít. Or at least I didnít see him getting burned by SEC athletes down field. Iím going to stick with my evaluation until I see NFL receivers prove me wrong.
    Ya I can't remember the last time a 40 was slower at a pro day. As for Dantzler as long press CB his long speed isn't an issue. He is a very good fit for a team like Seattle.

That's the beautiful thing about this draft for Denver. They can draft a CB 1st round and have one heck of a secondary. Bouye, Callahan, Simmons, Jackson and a rookie sounds good.

They can draft OT and have a strong line for Lock.

They can draft a DT/NT and have one heck of of a front line with Casey, Harris, Jones and Walker.

They can draft a WR and have one of the best offenses to take the field this year with Sutton, Fant, Gordon and Lindsay.

They can draft an ILB and pair with a rising star in AJ!!!

For once we're not chasing QB....Got to love options!! 👍

Quote Originally Posted by MarshallMoss View Post
    I think we have to take Hall with our 46th pick to get him. If we didn't make any trades I would love a scenario of.

1. Ruggs
    2. Hall
    3. KJ Hamler
    3. Amik Robertson
    3. Peart

Hamler being there in the third is crazy

oakland raders gm
    latavis murray trade bait

Quote Originally Posted by MarshallMoss View Post

1. Ruggs
    2. Hall
    3. KJ Hamler
    3. Amik Robertson
    3. Peart

Another big corner at 6/1 200 pounds zero interceptions zero forced fumbles but he has for pass deflections.

I like KJ Hamler but for some reason I could only see him being a faster DeSean Hamilton. I hope he would produce more but at this point Iím not sure. Perfect slot guy though, I think he ends up a patriot along with Jordan Love.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    Another big corner at 6/1 200 pounds zero interceptions zero forced fumbles but he has for pass deflections.

I like KJ Hamler but for some reason I could only see him being a faster DeSean Hamilton. I hope he would produce more but at this point Iím not sure. Perfect slot guy though, I think he ends up a patriot along with Jordan Love.
    Hall was injured for a majority of last year, and came off a monster season with 2 ints and 21 PDs which led the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    What would he do against please like Julio who is fast and bigger then him probably to big for him to press well. I think he may project as a good number 2 but he will have trouble with the freaks or guys like michael thomas for sure
    If you jump on Game Pass and watch the "Coaches Film", AJ Bouye did a good job shadowing Julio in that game. Julio had some moments, but he is gonna make a few plays a game regardless.

After a FA period that brought in former Pro Bowl CB A.J. Bouye (via trade) and the departure of our beloved (future RoFer) CHJ after 9 years with the team, the cornerback position remains a pretty big question mark on our roster.

Regardless of how you feel about Bouye, he will be the CB1 when the 2020 season begins.

Bryce Callahan will be our nickel CB and should see virtually all of his snaps there. In his four years with Chicago (and Fangio) he played 81.6% of his snaps in the slot (and 91.6% in his last two seasons there). Barring questionable personnel decisions, Callahan should continue to play that role. Of course his health is the number one concern, but after sitting out the entire 2019 season and having another full offseason to recover from his troubling foot injury-- I trust that he will be ready to go for 2020.

Which brings us to the topic of CB2, the outside corner opposite of Bouye. Here is how we employed that position last year (per Pro Football Reference).

Isaac Yiadom: 8 GS (games started), 16 GP (games played)
    Davontae Harris: 6 GS, 16 GP
    De'Vante Bausby: 2 GS, 5 GP

All three corners are back for next season. Here are the 2019 stats for each of them.

Yiadom: 4 PD, 0 INT, 38 completions/54 targets (70.4%), 490 yards allowed, 0 TD, 98.5 rating against
    Harris: 3 PD, 0 INT, 33/50 (66.0%), 330 YA, 3 TD, 104.6 rating
    Bausby: 3 PD, 0 INT, 8/15, 75 YA, 0 TD, 67.4 rating

On the surface, it seems like Bausby has shown the most ability to lock down the outside corner position for our defense. Before a scary neck injury ended his 2019 campaign, Bausby was making the most of his opportunities after starring in the now-defunct AAF. Although he played well in limited action, it remains to be seen whether he can sustain that level of play for a full season. Elway re-signed Bausby to a one-year deal in March.

Yiadom, a 2018 3rd round pick, has been underwhelming since he was drafted. I was high on him as a prospect out of Boston College, and I think he can continue to improve as he enters his third year in the league. Fangio and Donatell must develop their young CB and have him cut down on his tendency to grab in coverage-- which drew a fair share of costly penalties. If Yiadom cannot take the next step, he will fall into the "Brendan Langley" category of 3rd round busts at corner for Denver.

Harris was impressive early on, but lost the starting spot to Yiadom mid-way through the season after giving up 8 receptions and 90 yards against MIN and a touchdown against BUF. He provides decent depth for our secondary, but I am not counting on him to take over at CB2 this upcoming year.

So what to do?

Much speculation has been made about bringing in former CHI CB Prince Amukamara and reuniting him with Fangio and Donatell. At this moment, it seems like Elway, however, is waiting until the draft to make any decisions regarding the other starting cornerback position. The 2020 CB draft class has a lot of talent, with many top prospects with pro-ready tools that can come in and make an impact during their rookie year. The bulk of that talent in his class appears to lie in the late-1st to early 3rd round range, with a bit of a drop-off after that. My take is that we need to take one somewhere in the first 2 rounds. Here is my tentative CB board at the moment.

TIER 1 (early 1st RD):
    1. Jeffrey Okudah, Ohio State // best CB prospect since Jalen Ramsey, no holes to his game

TIER 2 (mid 1st RD):
    2. Kristian Fulton, LSU // shut down the best WRs in the SEC, all-around balanced skill-set, excelled in man & Cover 3
    3. C.J. Henderson, Florida // ultra-athletic, one of the best pure man CBs, has the potential to star on an island, poor tackler

TIER 3 (late 1st - early 2nd RD):
    4. Jeff Gladney, TCU // tenacious, not afraid to tackle, silky undersized man corner with projectable ability to play zone
    5. Jaylon Johnson, Utah // smart playmaker, physical press man, disciplined w/ IQ to play multiple schemes
    6. Trevon Diggs, Alabama // lanky CB w/ spider-like length, patient eyes w/ good instincts, fit for press-zone or press-man
    7. A.J. Terrell, Clemson // ideal size/speed combo, good fluidity to be scheme-versatile, underwhelming tackler

TIER 4 (mid 2nd - early 3rd RD):
    8. Cameron Dantzler, Mississippi State // allowed only 1 TD in college, elite physically & fundamentally in press, great ball skills, worrisome long speed
    9. Bryce Hall, Virginia // length & willingness to tackle fits Fangio's prototype, high motor, one of the best zone CBs in this class
    10. Damon Arnette, Ohio State // solid, all-around CB, average athlete, consistent technique on every rep
    11. Noah Igbinoghene, Auburn // great athleticism, very raw, physical vs the run, a developmental project

If we miss out on a top WR, I would be happy with Fulton at #15. If we manage to grab a WR in round 1, I like Johnson or Diggs at #46-- if they're not available there, I like Terrell or the top two Tier 4 corners on my board. These are the only players I really see being able to take over as CB2 next season. After them, I do not see a CB from this draft class that would be an upgrade at the position besides providing depth or ST contributions.

What do you guys think we should do at CB2? Do you guys think it's a big need relative to WR, C, or OT? Which prospects do you particularly covet for us?

I went back and watched some of the Bears 2018 film on Game Pass,

Callahan is at best, a very very average nickel corner. Combine that with his health concerns....Mehh.... I'm not counting on him...

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post

I like KJ Hamler but for some reason I could only see him being a faster DeSean Hamilton. I hope he would produce more but at this point I’m not sure. Perfect slot guy though, I think he ends up a patriot along with Jordan Love.
    he has probably the best stop and go and quickness in this class.that seems like a lazy comp. Hamilton has always been a good technician but just an okay athelete. while Hamler has elite speed and quickness but is small. Hamilton also has like 5 inches on Hamiler and around 25 pounds. Hamilton is more of a physical Big Slot as his ideal position. some one good at finding space in a zone with technique and out muscling for a ball. while Hamler is more just an explosion. but he is kinda small. if he can start to get contested balls he will be deadly in the nfl.

oakland raders gm
    latavis murray trade bait

Quote Originally Posted by Diggs4 View Post
    I went back and watched some of the Bears 2018 film on Game Pass,

Callahan is at best, a very very average nickel corner. Combine that with his health concerns....Mehh.... I'm not counting on him...
    Interesting observations. I will have to go back and watch a few games on Game Pass myself, but if he was just average-- that's concerning to me (in addition to his nagging injuries).

Through 13 games played in 2018, Callahan allowed 38/53 (71.7%) for 350 yards, 1 TD, and a 79.9 rating with 2 INT and 6 PD. He also had an 81.3 PFF coverage grade that year which was one of the best among nickel corners in the NFL. Callahan is not an All Pro by any means, but I trust that Fangio and Donatell saw something worth $21M over 3 years.

What do you think we should do at CB going forward? If Callahan should not be counted on as the nickel corner, then we might have to double dip at CB in the draft or sign at least one FA vet.
    2014 Adopt-A-Bronco: #43 T.J. WARD & #38 QUINTON CARTER
    2013 Adopt-A-Bronco: #25 CHRIS HARRIS