Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk CB

I wish we would sign Logan Ryan, Prince Amukamara, Nickell Robey-Coleman, it Darquez Dennard so we donít have to spend a high pick on a CB. I really want us to address WR, OT, and ILB before we even start thinking CB.

A guy getting overlooked is Duke Dawson. He could be really good in year 2 with us.

Quote Originally Posted by KWHIT97 View Post
    I wish we would sign Logan Ryan, Prince Amukamara, Nickell Robey-Coleman, it Darquez Dennard so we donít have to spend a high pick on a CB. I really want us to address WR, OT, and ILB before we even start thinking CB.

A guy getting overlooked is Duke Dawson. He could be really good in year 2 with us.
    Going to have to let the L. Ryan thought go. He is reports looking for $10m a year. Broncos donít have it left.

I agree they need a free agent CB though. Just a more modest contract. Maybe they have more confidence in Dawson, Bausby and everyoneís favorite Yiadom then I do.

In my perfect world, Elway finds and spends a couple million each on some vet experience at CB and OT. Takes away a bit of stress trying to find a starter in the draft at either position.

Quote Originally Posted by HDbroncos02 View Post
    Interesting observations. I will have to go back and watch a few games on Game Pass myself, but if he was just average-- that's concerning to me (in addition to his nagging injuries).

Through 13 games played in 2018, Callahan allowed 38/53 (71.7%) for 350 yards, 1 TD, and a 79.9 rating with 2 INT and 6 PD. He also had an 81.3 PFF coverage grade that year which was one of the best among nickel corners in the NFL. Callahan is not an All Pro by any means, but I trust that Fangio and Donatell saw something worth $21M over 3 years.

What do you think we should do at CB going forward? If Callahan should not be counted on as the nickel corner, then we might have to double dip at CB in the draft or sign at least one FA vet.
    Tough question. We are gonna have to put something on the back burner for now, OT, WR or CB. (Or hope a 3rd or 4th round guy surprises).

With the versatility that Kareem Jackson brings, I wouldn't be shocked if we pretty much done at corner (baring a layer round flyer).

BOUYE is our #1 guy. Between Bousby, Yiadom and Callahan , one of those dudes should be serviceable. If all three of those guys become a dumpster fire, they have the flexibility to bump Kareem into that group.

Quote Originally Posted by Diggs4 View Post
    Tough question. We are gonna have to put something on the back burner for now, OT, WR or CB. (Or hope a 3rd or 4th round guy surprises).

With the versatility that Kareem Jackson brings, I wouldn't be shocked if we pretty much done at corner (baring a layer round flyer).

BOUYE is our #1 guy. Between Bousby, Yiadom and Callahan , one of those dudes should be serviceable. If all three of those guys become a dumpster fire, they have the flexibility to bump Kareem into that group.
    Thatís the question

If Andrew Thomas, Henry Ruggs, CJ Henderson, or Javon Kinlaw are sitting there at 15, who do we take?

Whoís the biggest necessity and which position is the hardest to fill?

All four would be a significant upgrade over what we have.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    Thatís the question

If Andrew Thomas, Henry Ruggs, CJ Henderson, or Javon Kinlaw are sitting there at 15, who do we take?

Whoís the biggest necessity and which position is the hardest to fill?

All four would be a significant upgrade over what we have.
    Not to divert from the OP, but if this is the case, I take Andrew Thomas without even thinking about it. Instant upgrade!! Extremely intelligent, high floor, high ceiling, etc. Then the LT spot is solved for the next 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Diggs4 View Post

This is where we all have different opinions.

WR: See Sutton, Fant, and Gordon getting lion share of targets, how badly do we need a decoy? That has been the major selling point of Ruggs, right? Opening up things for the other guys. I see so much depth in this draft at WR, would rather double dip in the 3-5th then go WR early.

OT: We have 2 starters so drafting one at #15 is a future play. We could go Thomas, play him at OG and move Galsgow to OC. I'm not sold on Thomas being athletic enough to stay outside,but we could use an interior upgrade too.

CB: We have 5 guys with 2 or less years on their contract, we need a couple long term options in this group. We were 10th in scoring last year, I think we are close to being a top 3 scoring D this year, so see this as a win now choice vs OT and WR.

Not going to slove all short and long term needs in one draft, just hope we come away with 3 starters...that is a great draft when you can do that.
    Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

I'm really high on Bryce Hall. He fits what Fangio likes to do incredibly well and if not for injury this year, I believe he would be in the conversation with Okudah for top CB in the draft. I think he would be a steal in the 2nd round.

Quote Originally Posted by KWHIT97 View Post

Iíll have to re-watch Dawsonís reps on the coachesí film. I was high on him as a reclamation project after being a former NE 2nd round pick, but he never did anything to give me confidence for next year. Maybe a full offseason under Fangio is what he needs to take that next step as a pro.

Quote Originally Posted by JW7 View Post
    I'm really high on Bryce Hall. He fits what Fangio likes to do incredibly well and if not for injury this year, I believe he would be in the conversation with Okudah for top CB in the draft. I think he would be a steal in the 2nd round.
    He could have been a 1st rounder, easily. Iím curious to see if he falls out of the 2nd round. Even when healthy, heís not the most spectacular athleteó but his eye patience and technique is very sound. Would not be opposed to taking him at #46 if there is a run on CBs early on Day 2.

Quote Originally Posted by HDbroncos02 View Post
    He could have been a 1st rounder, easily. Iím curious to see if he falls out of the 2nd round. Even when healthy, heís not the most spectacular athleteó but his eye patience and technique is very sound. Would not be opposed to taking him at #46 if there is a run on CBs early on Day 2.
    It will be curious to see how players with health issues will be graded this year. Nothing scares teams more than unknowns. He's not a bad athlete, but he's a good one. He has been a player I've locked for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by MHSalute View Post
    This is where we all have different opinions.

WR: See Sutton, Fant, and Gordon getting lion share of targets, how badly do we need a decoy? That has been the major selling point of Ruggs, right? Opening up things for the other guys. I see so much depth in this draft at WR, would rather double dip in the 3-5th then go WR early.

OT: We have 2 starters so drafting one at #15 is a future play. We could go Thomas, play him at OG and move Galsgow to OC. I'm not sold on Thomas being athletic enough to stay outside,but we could use an interior upgrade too.

CB: We have 5 guys with 2 or less years on their contract, we need a couple long term options in this group. We were 10th in scoring last year, I think we are close to being a top 3 scoring D this year, so see this as a win now choice vs OT and WR.

Not going to slove all short and long term needs in one draft, just hope we come away with 3 starters...that is a great draft when you can do that.
    I realize this is a thread about CBs and you are adamantly against a WR at #15 but címon...Ēhow badly do we need a decoyĒ to describe Ruggs?

Ruggs, Lamb, Jeudy and very likely Jefferson are talented enough playmakers to potentially be the Broncos prime target. At worst, a dynamic WR duo with Sutton.

Not seeing that same contribution from the double dip 3-5 WRs. Are they even an significant upgrades over Patrick or Hamilton?

I understand the desire to upgrade the oline, CB, DT, ILB positions at #15. And I am not opposed to it if that is how the draft falls.

You brought up defensive numbers. What about the offensive numbers? Most importantly 17.6 pts per game/ 28th in rankings.
    Iím looking for another TD a game. Would put the Broncos right in the top 10 offensively. Along with a top 10 defense bodes well for competitive games and wins.

Lock and Shurmur need talent to meet this goal. Donít deprive them with imposters when they are so close. Payroll and assets spent have been lopsided towards the defense core several seasons. Time to balance it out. Draft a WR, not a decoy!

Quote Originally Posted by the0rangecrush View Post
    It will be curious to see how players with health issues will be graded this year. Nothing scares teams more than unknowns. He's not a bad athlete, but he's a good one. He has been a player I've locked for a long time.
    This particular pre-draft season has probably harmed those prospects with injury red flags the most. I could easily see a lot of talented players falling a whole round due to question marks about their injuries (or injury history, in general).

Elway has not been afraid of taking these kinds of prospects that fall due to health. But I think the signings this year indicate a shift towards adding durable players, especially after James and Callahan were essentially shelved for the whole season. I wonder if that philosophy spills over into the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by FR Tim View Post
    I realize this is a thread about CBs and you are adamantly against a WR at #15 but c’mon...”how badly do we need a decoy” to describe Ruggs?

Ruggs, Lamb, Jeudy and very likely Jefferson are talented enough playmakers to potentially be the Broncos prime target. At worst, a dynamic WR duo with Sutton.

Not seeing that same contribution from the double dip 3-5 WRs. Are they even an significant upgrades over Patrick or Hamilton?

I understand the desire to upgrade the oline, CB, DT, ILB positions at #15. And I am not opposed to it if that is how the draft falls.

You brought up defensive numbers. What about the offensive numbers? Most importantly 17.6 pts per game/ 28th in rankings.
    I’m looking for another TD a game. Would put the Broncos right in the top 10 offensively. Along with a top 10 defense bodes well for competitive games and wins.

Lock and Shurmur need talent to meet this goal. Don’t deprive them with imposters when they are so close. Payroll and assets spent have been lopsided towards the defense core several seasons. Time to balance it out. Draft a WR, not a decoy!
    If Ruggs is just as good as a pro as he was at Bama, we will have effectively re-drafted Ashley Lelie. A decoy is exactly how one shoul;d describe a guy who catches 3 balls per game. I would be all for WR @ #15 if we needed a #1 WR. There are going to be going to be guys day 2 or 3 that will upgrade the WR room.

CB you need 4 good ones, receivers you need 2-3 good ones...they just do not need to be WR necessarily.
    Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

I found a good All 22 cut-up of every rep between Cam Dantzler and Ja'Marr Chase.

Very physical technique. I saw Trevon Diggs try to play physical against Chase, but he was getting beat pretty bad. Dantzler played physical yet stuck with Chase downfield. The only downside was that Dantzler was not nearly as quick as Chase when changing directions. I think this speaks more about Chase's scary-good agility and why he will be the WR1 next year without a doubt.
    2014 Adopt-A-Bronco: #43 T.J. WARD & #38 QUINTON CARTER
    2013 Adopt-A-Bronco: #25 CHRIS HARRIS

Quote Originally Posted by FR Tim View Post
    I realize this is a thread about CBs and you are adamantly against a WR at #15 but címon...Ēhow badly do we need a decoyĒ to describe Ruggs?

Iím looking for another TD a game. Would put the Broncos right in the top 10 offensively. Along with a top 10 defense bodes well for competitive games and wins.

Lock and Shurmur need talent to meet this goal. Donít deprive them with imposters when they are so close. Payroll and assets spent have been lopsided towards the defense core several seasons. Time to balance it out. Draft a WR, not a decoy!
    Have you watched KJ Hamler or Lynn Bowden Jr

They are both guys who can contribute right away at receiver Hamler in the second and Bowden Jr in the 3red or fourth range. I think Bowden is getting over looked due to his time at QB but he is like an eldeman with more long speed. I really like him and his agility.