Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Elijah Wilkenson told he値l compete with Bolles at LT

Should this be enough to tell us there won稚 be a LT drafted high?

Or could it be looked at as a smoke screen?

We might need to carry three or four QBs if that's the case.

Meh. Bolles will be our starter barring any injury or miraculous off field issue.

I remember at one point last season this was going to be a reality. I believe it was something along the lines that if Bolles got another penalty he would be subbed out. However, James reinjured his knee. Munch and the staff appear to be very high on Wilkinson.

Quote Originally Posted by the0rangecrush View Post
    I remember at one point last season this was going to be a reality. I believe it was something along the lines that if Bolles got another penalty he would be subbed out. However, James reinjured his knee. Munch and the staff appear to be very high on Wilkinson.
    Well he got his lunch ate several times at RT. I do hope he can improve and evidently the Bronco staff thinks he can improve.

Quote Originally Posted by WYBRONCO View Post
    Well he got his lunch ate several times at RT. I do hope he can improve and evidently the Bronco staff thinks he can improve.
    It's interesting. Perhaps have a full off-season spent devoted to one spot will help, he may be a more natural LT. Im just guessing, but I trust Munchak and Co.

I call smoke screen before the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by nickmeyer View Post
    Could be, but I think he really will compete with Bolles. They'll compete while we groom a rookie replacement. We've been connected to Josh Jones a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by nickmeyer View Post
    That would be a pretty jerk move, if it痴 true that they told Wilkinson he痴 competing for the job.

It痴 one thing to float the idea out through the media. It痴 another to tell a player something that isn稚 true. Hopefully they didn稚 lead him to believe a draft pick is out of the equation, if it痴 not true.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I won稚 Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!
    Still Not Backing Down!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Peerless View Post
    Meh. Bolles will be our starter barring any injury or miraculous off field issue.
    That's the sad truth of it

I am actually more optimistic about Bolles being a solid T this season then most. I have more concerns about James, in fact. I'm thinking Wilkerson becomes the swing T.

Bolles seemed to improve the last half of the season. I looked it up and it was better then I expected. He cut his penalties almost in half after the bye. In weeks 11-17. He ended the season with "only" 6 penalties (of 17 on the season), 3 hurries (of 23) and 0 sacks (of 4 allowed) For what is worth, PFF graded him for the season at 76.0 / 11th highest rated T in the League. Have to admit I was thinking he was much worse then that . Solid improvement the last 7 games.

Add in the facts that he has not missed a game, will have his first season with the same oline coach (damn good one too) and same LG need to be considered.

Have no problem with the Broncos picking an early OT (even 1st?) or openly stating there is a competition. Maybe it makes both work harder. Benefits the Broncos either way. I'm hoping we may be surprised to see Bolles live up to the draft hype.

Which in a way is kind of funny, he is exactly what we knew he would be coming into the pros. Physically talented, inexperienced, emotional and too many penalties instead of recovering from mistakes. Maybe Munchak and Risner can get into his head and bring out the best of him. in a contract year.

Elijah Wilkinson was an UDFA out of UMass in 2017 who was signed to the PS and to the roster about midseason. He made the roster in 2018 and ended up starting the last seven games at RG. He looked like he had possibilities at that position maybe even as a starter. Last year he started twelve games at RT in view of the fact that, for all practical purposes, Ja'Wuan James missed the season (with an injury that, to my knowledge, hasn't been surgically corrected) Eli didn't look like a T last year. He didn't look as good as Garrett Bolles in spite of the latter's problems with technique.

O-Line coaches like to shuffle their guys around. One reason they do this is because sometimes a guy does better on one side than the other, or at another spot. This starts in the Spring, but can't be observed in a meaningful way until the pads and hats go on in TC/preseason. Preseason games give a hint at how guys look in a new spot, or how new guys (like rookies/previous PS guys) look with the other linemen.

I think it is possible, but unlikely, that Eli will beat out Garrett. It could be like 2014 when someone decided that Chris Clark should be given an opportunity at RT. So, Orlando Franklin was moved from RT to LG and Clark started at RT because Clady was back. I was skeptical of both those moves. Orlando did great, but Chris was benched by mid-season. It may be that Eli's best spot is RG, but that's limited versatility. Maybe they want to see what he looks like on the left to help him make the roster. Non-starters need to play more than one spot.

The starting Tackles have issues: technique on the left; and, questions of availability, toughness and heart on the right. There is no quality depth at T. They need to find out for sure about Eli Wilkinson. It would be a very pleasant surprise if he can get the job done outside. Besides Jake Rodgers (who is marginal) there are three guys who were UDFA rookies last year. IMO it would be advisable for the Broncos to draft an Offensive Tackle no later than the third round.

O-Line coaches start the best five shuffled to their best spots. Seven suit up on game day, the starters plus an inside guy and a Swing Tackle. Eight or nine will make the roster. O-Line roster plus PS must be at least ten, maybe eleven or twelve. If one of the five can't go, bring in number six and reshuffle, if necessary. Fortunately, Denver has Mike Munchak who will get the best out of his group.
    Last edited by samparnell; 04-18-2020 at 07:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mozzerpete View Post
    We might need to carry three or four QBs if that's the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerless View Post
    What a couple of nervous nellies and negative nancys!

Perhaps a little competition could push Bolles to clean up god act and pay attention. Competition never hurt nobody.

Wilkerson is a better run blocker, but just as bad in pass protection, is this Elways final solution to solving one of the main weaknesses of the team which has been ignored for multiple seasons ? Hopefully not. I see a couple first and second round prospects who would be immediate upgrades and long-term rocks to pair with Risner.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    What a couple of nervous nellies and negative nancys!

Perhaps a little competition could push Bolles to clean up god act and pay attention. Competition never hurt nobody.
    Bolles is stupid, no two ways about it. I would love to hear how his coaches interact with him on a weekly basis after he plays with the same putrid technique, and commits the same stupid penalties week after week.