Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 31 to 37 of 37
  1. #31
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    920
    I have been very critical of Both Wilkinson and Bolles in the past. That really can't change until I see something different from both.

    I do think it is a big ask to believe Wilkinson is going to be a hold lot better or even better than Bolles. While UDFA's are successful sometimes there was a reason he didn't get drafted. Actually he has played okay considering that.

    I also think Bolles struggles now from reputation as much as technique. Officials know he has a history of holding and look for a lot. Yes he holds and so does everyone in the NFL. He is more easily seen and seems to be more egregious at times but some of his holding penalties were very marginal last year.

    Sorry for the rambling. I would still like a OT in rd 2 minimum that really has a chance to unseat both Bolles and Wilkinson.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    14,103
    This is just for competition. My sample size is small but when it comes to pass protection in the film I saw Wilkenson was the worst of the guys getting lots of playing time.

    Think this is just the Broncos letting Bolles know he needs to work on his game because this is his last chance in Denver. By "this" I mean the opportunity to win the starting job.

    This is also letting OL players out there still looking for work that there is a huge opportunity in Denver for someone to come in and make an impression.
    In the last 45 years the Broncos have drafted in the top 10 five times. They have drafted in the top 15 twelve times. Some may want them to draft a top 5 pick but the Broncos are not as bad they want them to be.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,793
    Quote Originally Posted by Rastic View Post
    That's the sad truth of it
    I am not so sure. The limited reps we saw E.Wilk at LT he did pretty well. I have a funny fleeing that the team really wanted to move Bolles into OG or RT.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    31,803
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_C View Post
    I am not so sure. The limited reps we saw E.Wilk at LT he did pretty well. I have a funny fleeing that the team really wanted to move Bolles into OG or RT.
    Can you say which games Elijah Wilkinson played LT? When has Garrett Bolles ever played G?
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Pittsburg, KS :(
    Posts
    3,505
    Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Can you say which games Elijah Wilkinson played LT? When has Garrett Bolles ever played G?
    It doesn't look like Bolles has ever played anything other than OT on the offense. He did play on the Dline in high school I believe and OT/LT at Snow College.
    I don't recall Wilkinson ever playing LT for the Broncos. He has not started a regular season game at LT, Bolles has started every game as a Bronco at LT. At UMASS all his starts - 22 - were at RT.
    I think Wilkinson is going to compete for the "swing tackle" spot and that will mean practicing at both RT and LT. I don't believe the report that he was told that he is competing directly for the LT spot. I can't find anywhere that anybody was quoted from the Broncos or Wilkinson being quoted. Too many of the talking heads on sports radio say things, I think just to get some "clicks".
    Last edited by brianmcfarlane; 04-24-2020 at 11:37 AM.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    31,803
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
    It doesn't look like Bolles has ever played anything other than OT on the offense. He did play on the Dline in high school I believe and OT/LT at Snow College.
    I don't recall Wilkinson ever playing LT for the Broncos. He has not started a regular season game at LT, Bolles has started every game as a Bronco at LT. At UMASS all his starts - 22 - were at RT.
    I think Wilkinson is going to compete for the "swing tackle" spot and that will mean practicing at both RT and LT. I don't believe the report that he was told that he is competing directly for the LT spot. I can't find anywhere that anybody was quoted from the Broncos or Wilkinson being quoted. Too many of the talking heads on sports radio say things, I think just to get some "clicks".
    Eli Wilkinson looked like he had possibilities during his seven starts at RG in 2018. In his twelve starts at RT last year, he looked like a major liability. Sometimes an O-Lineman does better, when he switches sides or spots. It is possible he might look more like a T on the left than he did on the right, but I doubt it. He looks to me like a pretty good backup/maybe starting RG, but that offers little/no versatility. If he couldn't hold his own at RT last year and plays about the same on the left in preseason (if there is one), he won't be the Swing Tackle. Tonight and tomorrow Denver will probably try to find one. If they luck out and get Jones or Cleveland, they might end up with a starter at LT and make Garrett the Swing.
    Last edited by samparnell; 04-24-2020 at 02:09 PM.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Pittsburg, KS :(
    Posts
    3,505
    Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Eli Wilkinson looked like he had possibilities during his seven starts at RG in 2018. In his twelve starts at RT last year, he looked like a major liability. Sometimes an O-Lineman does better, when he switches sides or spots. It is possible he might look more like a T on the left than he did on the right, but I doubt it. He looks to me like a pretty good backup/maybe starting RG, but that offers little/no versatility. If he couldn't hold his own at RT last year and plays about the same on the left in preseason (if there is one), he won't be the Swing Tackle. Tonight and tomorrow Denver will probably try to find one. If they luck out and get Jones or Cleveland, they might end up with a starter at LT and make Garrett the Swing.
    I don't think the best spot for Wilkinson is as the swing T but that was what they stated their intentions were recently. I think his best use is as depth at RG and if needed - hopefully not - at RT. Hopefully Broncos do draft a OT that can be at least the swing OT in rookie year and then take Bolles place in 2021.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •