Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    Bolles is stupid, no two ways about it. I would love to hear how his coaches interact with him on a weekly basis after he plays with the same putrid technique, and commits the same stupid penalties week after week.
    Would not call him stupid. More willful and defiant. Especially when criticized. Likely rooted in his mistakes he made in his younger years and needing to change his life. He may not be listening because when he should be. Several reports if exchanges with teammates and coaches support this.

Good chance he resists coaching because he doesn稚 trust them. Annually changing his coaches likely has not helped to gain it.

Part of my hope that there is some level of trust with Munchak and Risner. Listening instead of rebelling could do wonders for him. As I pointed out above, he was much improved the last 7 games. Build on that.

Wilkinson would be an upgrade over Bolles in the penalty department. Bolles usually is in position where he can tackle a player if he gets beat. Wilkinson gets beat so bad he doesn稚 even get a hand on the defender.
    Wilkinson should compete to be our first guard off the bench or start at RG if Glasgow plays Center.
    The team should take a pair of tackles in this draft. One in the first 3 rounds ( not in the first if it痴 not Thomas, Wirfs or Willis) and one in the 5th, 6th or 7th round.

Quote Originally Posted by 58Miller View Post
    Wilkinson would be an upgrade over Bolles in the penalty department. Bolles usually is in position where he can tackle a player if he gets beat. Wilkinson gets beat so bad he doesn’t even get a hand on the defender.
    Wilkinson should compete to be our first guard off the bench or start at RG if Glasgow plays Center.
    The team should take a pair of tackles in this draft. One in the first 3 rounds ( not in the first if it’s not Thomas, Wirfs or Willis) and one in the 5th, 6th or 7th round.
    My take, too. That made me laugh. Eli showed possibilities in his seven starts at RG in 2018, but just G isn't enough versatility unless he's a starting RG. Some late round guys worthy of a look are Hakeem Adeniji from Kansas and Cameron Clarke from Charlotte.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Curious on your opinion of how they will use Glasgow- at C or G? I know you have mentioned Morris as a potential C a couple times.

As a secondary question what do you think of some the G prospects in that might be available in the 2-3rd? Thinking guys like Hunt, Lewis and Kindley in particular. Big mauler types to open some running lanes. Counter to that is the other option of several pretty solid C prospects likely in the same range.

I am thinking 2 oline in the top 5 picks (assuming no trades). OT and either C or G depending on how they view Glasgow and the "plan" going into the draft. Another developmental OT later in the draft would not surprise me either. I kind of like the C. Heck. N. Car. Would hope the son of an oline coach would have some basics down.
    Last edited by FR Tim; 04-19-2020 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FR Tim View Post
    Curious on your opinion of how they will use Glasgow- at C or G?

As a secondary question what do you think of some the G prospects in that might be available in the 2-3rd? Thinking guys like Hunt, Lewis and Kindley in particular. Big mauler types to open some running lanes.

I am thinking 2 oline in the top 5 picks (assuming no trades). OT and either C or G depending on how they view Glasgow and the "plan" going into the draft.
    If Denver doesn't draft a C/G and Glasgow plays RG, the candidates for C are Patrick Morris, Austin Schlottmann and Nico Falah. Might be better off trying Eli Wilkinson at RG and putting Glasgow at C.

In the second/third round, some G prospects are John Simpson, Robert Hunt and Ben Bredeson. Hunt can also play RT. Lewis and Kindley might be available after the third round. C prospects who might be available in the third round are Tyler Biadasz and Darryl Williams. Cushenberry and Hennessy might be there in the second, Ruiz will probably be selected in the first.

A couple of late round guys who might be able to play any O-LIne spot as backups, with the possibility of earning a start eventually, are Hakeem Adeniji and Cameron Clarke.
    Last edited by samparnell; 04-19-2020 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    If Denver doesn't draft a C/G and Glasgow plays RG, the candidates for C are Patrick Morris, Austin Schlottmann and Nico Falah. Might be better off trying Eli Wilkinson at RG and putting Glasgow at C.

In the second/third round, some G prospects are John Simpson, Robert Hunt and Ben Bredeson. Hunt can also play RT. Lewis and Kindley might be available after the third round. C prospects who might be available in the third round are Tyler Biadasz and Darryl Williams. Cushenberry and Hennessy might be there in the second, Ruiz will probably be selected in the first.

A couple of late round guys who might be able to play any O-LIne spot as backups, with the possibility of earning a start eventually, are Hakeem Adeniji and Cameron Clarke.
    I believe our depth chart going into the draft will be:
    LT Bolles
    LG Risner/ Glasgow
    C Morris / Glasgow / Schlotman ( the deli man)
    RG Glasgow / Wilkinson
    RT James / Rodgers

We need a LT and Center the most if we could get day one starters in the 1st and second rounds like Andrew Thomas and Matt Hennessy, I would be all for it. If guys that can稚 beat out Bolles and Morris day one aren稚 there I壇 rather see us grab day 1 starters at WR and CB, and take a tackle like Bartch or Peart and a center like Hanson, or Biadiaz in the 3rd and 4th.
    I don稚 care about positions as much as the ability to start day 1 with our draft picks.

LT Bolles
    LG Risner/ Glasgow
    RG Glasgow / Wilkinson
    RT James / Rodgers

We need a LT and Center the most if we could get day one starters in the 1st and second rounds like Andrew Thomas and Matt Hennessy, I would be all for it. If guys that can稚 beat out Bolles and Morris day one aren稚 there I壇 rather see us grab day 1 starters at WR and CB, and take a tackle like Bartch or Peart and a center like Hanson, or Biadiaz in the 3rd and 4th.
    I don稚 care about positions as much as the ability to start day 1 with our draft picks.
    I agree with your line of reasoning about impact of starters.

IMO it is also at WR and CB in rds 1 and 2. Then follow it up with some combination of OT and C. Both positions have decent quality developmental players likely available in the 3rd rd.

Unless things change, the season starters are likely Bolles and James. Unless injured they will be given several weeks to fail. By that time the developmental OTs have had time to get prepared.

Also think another OT spot can be filled in free agency. A couple million on a professional backup. Giving even more depth to your depth chart.

The situation is not as dire as some are insisting. Unless Bolles truly is as useless or James inclined to sit out again. I知 hoping neither of those things is true.

How different would we be looking at that depth chart if you added one free agent : Erving, Clemmings, Clark, or your preference

And then Peart, Biadasz and 7 th round project of choice. Not so barren IMO.
    Last edited by FR Tim; 04-19-2020 at 01:50 PM.

Would not call him stupid. More willful and defiant. Especially when criticized. Likely rooted in his mistakes he made in his younger years and needing to change his life. He may not be listening because when he should be. Several reports if exchanges with teammates and coaches support this.

Good chance he resists coaching because he doesn’t trust them. Annually changing his coaches likely has not helped to gain it.

Part of my hope that there is some level of trust with Munchak and Risner. Listening instead of rebelling could do wonders for him. As I pointed out above, he was much improved the last 7 games. Build on that.
    The fact he is pretty athletic for a big man, yet continues to play with the same horrible technique, fail to correct his mistakes, and rack up the amount of penalties in the way he does, I would. Throw in his pathetic wonderlic score and watch any video of him talking, and I most definitely would. I'd also call being defiant in an NFL setting when you are a bad player being incredibly stupid, you have no standing to act that way if you suck. The man cried when he rolled his ankle All in all Elway need his head checked if his plan at left tackle is Bolles and Wilkerson, both would be better suited to playing inside.

LT Bolles
    LG Risner/ Glasgow
    RG Glasgow / Wilkinson
    RT James / Rodgers

We need a LT and Center the most if we could get day one starters in the 1st and second rounds like Andrew Thomas and Matt Hennessy, I would be all for it. If guys that can’t beat out Bolles and Morris day one aren’t there I’d rather see us grab day 1 starters at WR and CB, and take a tackle like Bartch or Peart and a center like Hanson, or Biadiaz in the 3rd and 4th.
    I don’t care about positions as much as the ability to start day 1 with our draft picks.
    OK, so going into the draft, the top five O-Linemen are Bolles, Risner, Morris, Glasgow and James, right? James has yet to really play and his injury has not been surgically corrected (even by scope) to my knowledge. If James can't go, who is number six? On game day, who is the Swing Tackle? Are you saying ST is Jake Rodgers? Seems like at the moment Austin Schlottmann would be the inside guy, call him number seven. Glad to see you on board with drafting a T and a C/G in the third/fourth rounds.

I agree with your line of reasoning about impact of starters.

IMO it is also at WR and CB in rds 1 and 2. Then follow it up with some combination of OT and C. Both positions have decent quality developmental players likely available in the 3rd rd.

Unless things change, the season starters are likely Bolles and James. Unless injured they will be given several weeks to fail. By that time the developmental OTs have had time to get prepared.

Also think another OT spot can be filled in free agency. A couple million on a professional backup. Giving even more depth to your depth chart.

The situation is not as dire as some are insisting. Unless Bolles truly is as useless or James inclined to sit out again. I’m hoping neither of those things is true.

How different would we be looking at that depth chart if you added one free agent : Erving, Clemmings, Clark, or your preference

And then Peart, Biadasz and 7 th round project of choice. Not so barren IMO.
    Name a current UFA Offensive Tackle you think Denver should sign and about how much cap space he would take.

OK, so going into the draft, the top five O-Linemen are Bolles, Risner, Morris, Glasgow and James, right? James has yet to really play and his injury has not been surgically corrected (even by scope) to my knowledge. If James can't go, who is number six? On game day, who is the Swing Tackle? Are you saying ST is Jake Rodgers? Seems like at the moment Austin Schlottmann would be the inside guy, call him number seven. Glad to see you on board with drafting a T and a C/G in the third/fourth rounds.
    Yes we need an upgrade at swing tackle. I知 hoping we do well in the draft and that man ends up being Garrett Bolles.
    Juwan James was injured last season despite many attacking him for not playing. He tore his MCL in the season opener (losing his footing on the dirt saved him from more serious damage) and partially tore his meniscus against the Colts along with scar tissue in his MCL. Both of those injuries should heal with time. Obviously if he didn稚 play this year or gets injured again we will need to move on from him in 2021. As of right now he is our best tackle on the team when healthy and under contract. The team can稚 worry about what ifs with all the holes we have to fill.

Yes we need an upgrade at swing tackle. I’m hoping we do well in the draft and that man ends up being Garrett Bolles.
    Juwan James was injured last season despite many attacking him for not playing. He tore his MCL in the season opener (losing his footing on the dirt saved him from more serious damage) and partially tore his meniscus against the Colts along with scar tissue in his MCL. Both of those injuries should heal with time. Obviously if he didn’t play this year or gets injured again we will need to move on from him in 2021. As of right now he is our best tackle on the team when healthy and under contract. The team can’t worry about what ifs with all the holes we have to fill.
    I agree. The "what ifs" need to be replaced by good football players, carefully evaluated.

Name a current UFA Offensive Tackle you think Denver should sign and about how much cap space he would take.
    I just pointed out three. No clue if they are best choice or even healthy. I will leave that to the Broncos scouts to decide. I知 likely overlooking better fits. Some released after the draft.

As for salary. Seems like $2-3m for a competent backup should manage it. I believe 2of 3 I listed played for less last year.

And i will add, if the coaching staff has as little confidence in James and Bolles as many around here I wholeheartedly agree they should be be drafting an OT in the 1st, arguably the 2nd too. And maybe not spending the $8m on a RB to boot.

I just pointed out three. No clue if they are best choice or even healthy. I will leave that to the Broncos scouts to decide. I’m likely overlooking better fits. Some released after the draft.

As for salary. Seems like $2-3m for a competent backup should manage it. I believe 2of 3 I listed played for less last year.

And i will add, if the coaching staff has as little confidence in James and Bolles as many around here I wholeheartedly agree they should be be drafting an OT in the 1st, arguably the 2nd too. And maybe not spending the $8m on a RB to boot.
    The reason I'm skeptical of acquiring UFA O-Linemen is because of the long procession of them, most of whom didn't play well, and who were consequently overpriced. Ryan Harris was the best and Donald Stephenson was probably the worst, although he has competition for that distinction. In the interest of balance, it's fair to say that some drafted O-Linemen haven't worked out well either.

The guys you mentioned don't inspire confidence. If, by Clark, you mean Chris Clark who was with Denver 2010-2014, having him return would be depressing.

The reason I'm skeptical of acquiring UFA O-Linemen is because of the long procession of them, most of whom didn't play well, and who were consequently overpriced. Ryan Harris was the best and Donald Stephenson was probably the worst, although he has competition for that distinction. In the interest of balance, it's fair to say that some drafted O-Linemen haven't worked out well either.

The guys you mentioned don't inspire confidence. If, by Clark, you mean Chris Clark who was with Denver 2010-2014, having him return would be depressing.
    Not disagreeing at all. In my suggestion I am not looking for a long term starting quality OT. I'm looking at adding a competent one year back up at the back up position. Some depth to take the immediate "must start" pressure off any OT drafted. One that brings experience and depth to the oline room. In all likelihood a third option if a starter goes down with Wilkinson as the likely "next man up" unless the rookie (or Rodgers) earns the spot. Luckily I would not be the one selecting that free agent. That would be up to scouts and Munchak to find.

This also assumes that James and Bolles can carry the load until at least mid season or for the majority of the 17 games. As pointed out, Wilkinson and Rodgers (has he signed yet?) are it at the moment. Adding a top 3 rd OT and hopefully a later rd developmental OT helps down the line. But within the first few weeks could be problematic. Maybe I'm expecting too much from any back up OT.

The draft is going to reveal a lot about how the coaches and Elway think about the current situation. They draft OT, OT, C in the first three picks we can assume they have little confidence in current players.