Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    I'll be surprised if we go wideout in round one, and I'll probably be mad depending on how the board looks. If they went pass catcher in the first and second round, after talking a pass catcher last year in the first round, and pass catchers the year before in the second and fourth rounds, I'll be well and truly angry. It wont happen though.
    Prepare yourself

Quote Originally Posted by skeeter01 View Post
    Prepare yourself
    In the event that happens, give me Jeudy/Aiyuk or Ruggs/Higgins. I would be mad, but at least our WR room is set for the foreseeable future. Iím just not pleased with investing a 2nd round pick on a WR3, especially when we need to see what we have in Hamilton and Patrick on cheap contracts (not to mention Winfree and Spencer). The last time we spent a 2nd round pick on a WR3 was in 2018 with Courtland Sutton, but he had an aging DT and Sanders ahead of him. This time a WR3 will have Sutton and our 1st round pick WR ahead of them. I canít really get onboard with that idea, but I would be okay with adding a receiver later like James Proche or Isaiah Hodgins.

We need an OC1 and CB2 before a WR3, IMO. But Iím bracing for every possibility.

No way. If we go WR in round one, then we need to go OL or CB in round two. If we do move up, say for Ruggs, then we shouldn't look at WR again until the fourth round, at the earliest. If we stay at 15 and take, say Mims, then I'd be ok with taking another WR in the third, where we have multiple picks.

I totally approve of this strategy!

Signed,
    Matt Millen
    Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

dont think youd have to go wr in the 2nd. you could possibly still get guys like claypool, johnson, duvernary in the 3rd. plus it would be a good time to trade royce so trade a 4th and royce to move back up into the end of the 2nd if you need to. it would be harder to get that wr help if you dont draft a wr in the first. then you may be looking at wr in 2nd and 3rd round

The original question was a hypothetical to ponder. Same as if a hypothetical of ďhow would you feelĒ if drafting two OTs and a C in the first three rounds.

It seems most agree it is not the preferred option. They prefer other strategies but IMO some of you are taking way too seriously. It would not be the blunder some of you are making it out to be.

Drafting and building up one part of the team is likely going to be done as a compromise on another. Broncos donít have 10 first rd picks. And if they did, there would likely be some complaining about the choices anyways.

For the time being enjoy the possibilities. I agree that two WRs is highly unlikely but itís fun to envision the offensive potential. A nice diversion from the realities of the Broncos pitiful offense the past couple years.

One week to go until we see the results of Elwayís vision. Then we all can be critical of how many players he missed on by not following ď ourĒ draft strategy.

Until then just have fun with it!

MAD mad mad we need to invest in the O-Line every year we get mad because of the O-Line Play time for that to stop This Draft.....

Quote Originally Posted by DENVERSB50CHAMP View Post
    MAD mad mad we need to invest in the O-Line every year we get mad because of the O-Line Play time for that to stop This Draft.....
    Yep. I don't hate 2 WR's really early but I really want some OL help soon as well. Even if Wilkinson and Bolles improve technique wise, they can still get hurt, or need to replace James if he gets hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by DENVERSB50CHAMP View Post
    I mean the last 2 big money acquisitions in FA were OL. Last year's 2nd rounder was an OL as well. Given Munchak's ability to develop later round OL, I would say it's a possibility, but no guarantee we take one tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by the0rangecrush View Post
    I mean the last 2 big money acquisitions in FA were OL. Last year's 2nd rounder was an OL as well. Given Munchak's ability to develop later round OL, I would say it's a possibility, but no guarantee we take one tbh.
    Thanks for pointing this out. Elway has invested a lot into the oline (draft and free agency) over the past few years. Just have been bad investments!

And letís not overlook the dead cap blunders, at RT and especially at QB. Imagine if the Broncos had the $13.5m they are paying Flacco to retire.

Keep McGovern at C? Add a free agent OT? Add another quality CB?

With as much invested in the Oline can they afford the ď luxury pickĒ of adding another early?

Quote Originally Posted by FR Tim View Post
    Thanks for pointing this out. Elway has invested a lot into the oline (draft and free agency) over the past few years. Just have been bad investments!

And letís not overlook the dead cap blunders, at RT and especially at QB. Imagine if the Broncos had the $13.5m they are paying Flacco to retire.

Keep McGovern at C? Add a free agent OT? Add another quality CB?

With as much invested in the Oline can they afford the ď luxury pickĒ of adding another early?
    Are you calling Glasgow and Risner bad investments? Perhaps, you are implying that because a signed player was injured he was a bad investment? We didn't have Lock when we got Flacco. I'm not quite sure where you are trying to go with this.

Surprised and happy. Jeudy and Reagor could be another option or Ruggs and Mims those 2 be ideal

Quote Originally Posted by the0rangecrush View Post
    Are you calling Glasgow and Risner bad investments? Perhaps, you are implying that because a signed player was injured he was a bad investment? We didn't have Lock when we got Flacco. I'm not quite sure where you are trying to go with this.
    My mistake, Iím mixing issues and being unclear.

Love the Risner pick. Glasgow initially seems great but until we see him play...TBD. Will be interesting to see at G or C.

Tough to blame Elway for an injury to James but letís be honest he had a reputation of injury. And the desire to get back on the field was questioned by his previous coaches and the Bronco staff last year. In hindsight, the indicators were there we just didnít want to see them. Hoping a year off rehabbing leads to a full season of production.

Bolles for all his issues is still a 1st rd pick used. An investment.

How about the revolving door of oft injured or olineman like Leary, Varrett, Watson, and a couple other failed RTs I canít even remember.

The dead cap financial issue is separate and just as concerning. Last season Broncos were top 10 in dead cap paying over $20m total. This season I pointed out the failed Flacco investment.

My point being that there is this narrative that the Broncos do not invest in their oline. They have, just not very wisely.

This is a new year. Iím hoping a season of Munchak teaching, some good health, more playmakers and a more athletic QB to move around and help the oline protect will lead to overall improvement.

Wouldn't like it. But, I don't think a D minded head coach would go for it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by FR Tim View Post
    My mistake, Iím mixing issues and being unclear.

Love the Risner pick. Glasgow initially seems great but until we see him play...TBD. Will be interesting to see at G or C.

Tough to blame Elway for an injury to James but letís be honest he had a reputation of injury. And the desire to get back on the field was questioned by his previous coaches and the Bronco staff last year. In hindsight, the indicators were there we just didnít want to see them. Hoping a year off rehabbing leads to a full season of production.

Bolles for all his issues is still a 1st rd pick used. An investment.

How about the revolving door of oft injured or olineman like Leary, Varrett, Watson, and a couple other failed RTs I canít even remember.

The dead cap financial issue is separate and just as concerning. Last season Broncos were top 10 in dead cap paying over $20m total. This season I pointed out the failed Flacco investment.

My point being that there is this narrative that the Broncos do not invest in their oline. They have, just not very wisely.

This is a new year. Iím hoping a season of Munchak teaching, some good health, more playmakers and a more athletic QB to move around and help the oline protect will lead to overall improvement.
    He has had his misses on OL, but he's also had some very solid picks in Paradis and McGovern as well. Billy Turner got a nice contract too. Veldheer was a solid trade as well. He hasnt been able to hit on star power on the OL, but he recognized his error and got Munchak. I'm very optimistic about that group.