Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

CBS Sports: Top prospect Mekhi Becton had drug test flagged at scouting combine

2020 NFL Draft: Top prospect Mekhi Becton has drug test flagged at scouting combine, per report
    by Cody Benjamin @CodyJBenjamin 17 hrs ago 1 min read
    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...ne-per-report/

At least one NFL scout apparently thinks Louisville offensive lineman Mekhi Becton likes cooking more than playing football. But now the entire scouting community has something a little more serious to wrestle with. According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, Becton was among a handful of players who had their drug tests flagged from February's scouting combine.

Wouldn't it be a shame if he fell to #15?

Still amazes me that these guys continue to get caught.

They are walking into the most important job interview in their lives to fulfill a lifetime dream and endless hours of work with millions of dollars at stake and they cant be bothered to control themselves for a month or so.

Pretty amazing.

Not a big deal anymore. The new drug policy in place makes it very very difficult to end up getting suspended for recreational drugs.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ve-drug-tests/

As for Becton, he's in stage 1 of the substance abuse program, which used to be a big deal. No stage 1 means that for 60 days you can be tested as often as the NFL deems necessary. If he goes 60 days without a failed test, he's no longer in the substance abuse program.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-policy-again/

I'm just wondering if the flagged test is enough to make him drop. I had seen the guy appearing in the top ten in mocks here and there, well before our pick. He's a beast. I wouldn't mind it one bit if the Broncos snagged him.

Quote Originally Posted by listopencil View Post
    I'm just wondering if the flagged test is enough to make him drop. I had seen the guy appearing in the top ten in mocks here and there, well before our pick. He's a beast. I wouldn't mind it one bit if the Broncos snagged him.
    Because of what I outlined above, I don't think so. If it were the old system where he'd be facing a suspension after another positive test, then yes. But it now takes 7 positive tests in order to get suspended. And 60 days and it's all good.

Early on in the process he was the guy I wanted, but he seemed to climb into the top 10 potentially. If he is there at 15, he is the guy I want.

Hes not falling, he wont be suspended if he can prove its for medicinal use. How is the NFL going to prove otherwise therefore they wont even bother unless he comes up dirty a second time while already in the league. A team will take a chance on drafting him early.

The new NFL rules apply to him as any other player already in the league.

1) We don't know that it was for marijuaja

2) The new rules don't necessarily mean this won't hurt his draft stock. The lack of maturity shown by being unable to pee clean for a job interview you knew you were having many months in advance is what will hurt his stock.

There are tons of people that care not what you do in your free time. However, when you are obligated to produce a clean sample and are given much time to prepare, it looks bad on your character, maturity, self-control, and ability to plan for the future when you pee hot.

A GM/coach might think, "yeah, the new rules are more lax and they won't be tested until a specific window once a year." But who is to say that this player will take that seriously when he already messed up his first time in such a situation? Who is to say he will go 60 days without peeing hot again? Some GMs may lose some trust in his decision making, and they would be justified.

Personally, I don't care, but decision makers in the league might.
    Last edited by Papa-pwn; 04-19-2020 at 03:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    1) We don't know that it was for marijuaja

2) The new rules don't necessarily mean this won't hurt his draft stock. The lack of maturity shown by being unable to pee clean for a job interview you knew you were having many months in advance is what will hurt his stock.

There are tons of people that care not what you do in your free time. However, when you are obligated to produce a clean sample and are given much time to prepare, it looks bad on your character, maturity, self-control, and ability to plan for the future when you pee hot.

A GM/coach might think, "yeah, the new rules are more lax and they won't be tested until a specific window once a year." But who is to say that this player will take that seriously when he already messed up his first time in such a situation? Who is to say he will go 60 days without peeing hot again? Some GMs may lose some trust in his decision making, and they would be justified.

Personally, I don't care, but decision makers in the league might.
    I agree. This is more about the perception and image of a person, and this guy gave some GMs something to be concerned about. He may not drop, because the team that picks him still luvs him, but I would not be surprised if some teams dropped him a little on their boards. These are major investments, and any perceived flaw can change the decision-making. If he was late first or beyond, his stock might stay the same. But we're talking first row here, and the cost and expectations are significant.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    I agree. This is more about the perception and image of a person, and this guy gave some GMs something to be concerned about. He may not drop, because the team that picks him still luvs him, but I would not be surprised if some teams dropped him a little on their boards. These are major investments, and any perceived flaw can change the decision-making. If he was late first or beyond, his stock might stay the same. But we're talking first row here, and the cost and expectations are significant.
    I did see some headlines stating that he has already talked to teams about this. I'll see if I can find the articles.

Source: OL prospect Mekhi Becton has talked to NFL teams about failed test: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ms-failed-test

Former Louisville offensive tackle and top NFL draft prospect Mekhi Becton is aware of a flagged drug test from the scouting combine and has addressed it with multiple clubs while still awaiting official notification, a source told ESPN...teams had been checking in Saturday morning and Becton still has several virtual calls lined up beyond Saturday, according to the source.

Source: OL prospect Mekhi Becton has talked to NFL teams about failed test: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ms-failed-test

Former Louisville offensive tackle and top NFL draft prospect Mekhi Becton is aware of a flagged drug test from the scouting combine and has addressed it with multiple clubs while still awaiting official notification, a source told ESPN...teams had been checking in Saturday morning and Becton still has several virtual calls lined up beyond Saturday, according to the source.
    Thx!

It is hard to be sure about the potential impact on his draft status, because when you get a tiny pebble in your sock, it can get to you, and that may be the case for some GMs.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Thx!

It is hard to be sure about the potential impact on his draft status, because when you get a tiny pebble in your sock, it can get to you, and that may be the case for some GMs.
    Right. This is just something that caught my eye and I started wondering if it could push him down to us at #15. We'll find out soon enough. The Draft is just around the corner.

Right. This is just something that caught my eye and I started wondering if it could push him down to us at #15. We'll find out soon enough. The Draft is just around the corner.
    But wait....you are on to something. Sometimes a perceived flaw can drop a stud into someone else's lap.

Dan Marino! Dan Marino! Dan Marino!

By all accounts Becton is a great kid. I don't think it should affect his stock but if it does and he drops to 15 I would be happy to have him covering Lock for the next 10-15 years. He has great potential and his tape at Louisville is pretty good, just not many people had studied it before the draft analysis. I don't think he is as much a boom or bust as some are saying. Very high ceiling and a decent floor.