• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MarshallMoss
    Special Teams
    • Sep 2007

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    It’s a terrific challenge to have, I think any QB and OC would be chomping at the bit to get to work with a group like this. Most defenses see 22 personnel and get ready for a run play, then we come out and isolate someone in coverage against a LB. Even a goal line formation can be a threat passing. This offense has the potential to be what the Patriots were with Gronkowski/Hernandez except even better because we’re better, deeper, and faster at WR and RB.
    Fant has always reminded me of Hernandez. Hernandez was a beast when he had open space and lots of talent around him (Gators and Patriots gave him tons of space with their complimentary talent).

Last year we only had Sutton, so it put a lot of pressure on Fant. Last year, all opposing teams needed to do was lock down our run game, Sutton and Fant.

Gronk is going to go down as the best tight end ever, so we don't have a complimentary piece like him for Fant. But Jeudy and KJ will open things up for him in a different way.

The only knock I have with Fant is his contested catch ability. He needs to up is "will" for the ball. If it doesn't improve, I can see Albert O taking away red zone minutes from Fant. Albert O is very raw and has a lot to work on, but his ability to catch and separate in tight spaces is his strength.

Wouldn't it be something if Albert O could develop into a baby Gronk? (one can dream)
    "He's going to be the #1 receiver, and is going to be a star in this league for a long time" Todd Mcshay on Jerry Jeudy

Comment

• FR Tim
      Football Immortal
      • Jul 2013

I still am a bit stunned the Broncos were able to draft Juedy.. Seriously thought he would have been the first WR off the board in the top 10. Broncos were incredibly fortuneate and I'll take it!

Juedy and Sutton are both incredibly talented young WR talents. Can not wait to see the Broncos on the field. As has been mentioned, they added some game changing speed and playmaking that has to be respected and covered at multiple levels. It is kind of amazing on the difference a year makes.. At least on paper. It will eventually come down to Luck's ability to read defences and get the ball into the hands of the playmakers, If he can this could be the beginning of something beautiful here in Denver.

Comment

• samparnell
        Soy Capitan Meshpoint
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
        I still am a bit stunned the Broncos were able to draft Juedy.. Seriously thought he would have been the first WR off the board in the top 10. Broncos were incredibly fortuneate and I'll take it!

Juedy and Sutton are both incredibly talented young WR talents. Can not wait to see the Broncos on the field. As has been mentioned, they added some game changing speed and playmaking that has to be respected and covered at multiple levels. It is kind of amazing on the difference a year makes.. At least on paper. It will eventually come down to Luck's ability to read defences and get the ball into the hands of the playmakers, If he can this could be the beginning of something beautiful here in Denver.
        Me, too. Before Denver picked at #15, there was a run on QBs (3), OTs (4), CBs (2) and DTs (2). Wonder what might have happened if one of the top four OTs had been there at #15? We'll never know. I guess Gruden was mesmerized by Ruggs' speed. IMO Denver got the better of the two 'Bama WRs. Then the Broncos added speed, too, with Hamler in the second round. Didn't think Jeudy would be there at #15, but was thrilled he was.
        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• listopencil
          Revenant
          • Aug 2003

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
          In the event 11 personnel is on the field and that group consists of Sutton, Fant, Jeudy, Hamler and Gordon, they should be able to stress coverage regardless of zone, man or combo. All of those eligible receivers require attention. The more spread the formation is, the more spread the defenders must align, and that opens possibilities for the rushing attack. Consequently, spread 11 personnel formations could be used in short yardage/GL as well.

Depending on who makes the roster, Patrick, Okwuegbunam, Hamilton, Spencer and Lindsay offer quality depth with similar skill sets at each position. There should be sufficient game day depth to use 12, 13, 21 and 22 personnel formations as well.

The addition of Jeudy, Hamler, Okwuegbunam, Gordon, Glasgow and Cushenberry to what remains of 2019 offensive personnel constitutes a qualitative as well as quantitative infusion of offensive talent with as many as five new starters. In the event they make the roster or PS, the other draftees and UDFAs may add to that. It's a major commitment as well as a challenge for last year's rookies and this year's new offensive coaches.
          I've got an odd feeling about Okwuegbunam. I think he's going to end up as the 2nd best TE on the roster behind Fant. I think Sutton/Jeudy, Fant/OK, with Lindsay or Gordon will stress D's like crazy. Could just be a pipe dream though. I really want to see these guys play together.
          Adopt-A-Bronco: Tim Patrick

Comment

• samparnell
            Soy Capitan Meshpoint
            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by listopencil View Post
            I've got an odd feeling about Okwuegbunam. I think he's going to end up as the 2nd best TE on the roster behind Fant. I think Sutton/Jeudy, Fant/OK, with Lindsay or Gordon will stress D's like crazy. Could just be a pipe dream though. I really want to see these guys play together.
            Except for QB and T, Denver's offensive personnel is deeper than I've ever seen. It's also pretty young relatively speaking league-wise.
            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• listopencil
              Revenant
              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
              Except for QB and T, Denver's offensive personnel is deeper than I've ever seen. It's also pretty young relatively speaking league-wise.
              I'm thinking the same thing, assuming everyone works out. I have been half heartedly looking for Driskel videos but all of the highlight plays are scrambles. Blah. I hope Luck can keep making our OT's look better than they are and I hope Driskel can pull off the same thing if he has to.
              Adopt-A-Bronco: Tim Patrick

Comment

• Freyaka
                Football Immortal
                • Jan 2007

I'm so excited to see Jeudy on the field, really I'm over the moon for our entire offense. I honestly think we're in for something really special this year (assuming the season actually happens)
                sigpic

Comment

• MarshallMoss
                  Special Teams
                  • Sep 2007

I ran into this article on why Jeudy may have fallen to us. 2019 Jeudy would have been a top 5 pick in many drafts. Not to say that 2020 was not amazing, but he did have to share the wealth more amongst the 3 other wide receiving stand outs on the team:

The combine was not the best showing for Jeudy compared to other wide receivers, according to 247Sports Charles Power.

“Jeudy was near the bottom among the wide receivers in Indianapolis with a composite score in the 21.8 percentile of NFL wideouts and 38th of the 43 qualifying receivers at the combine,” he wrote. “With margins this slim among the top receivers in this draft, Jeudy should be looking to improve his numbers at Alabama’s pro day, especially his shuttle (4.53 seconds) which was slower than his 40 (4.45).”

I think many teams went in with the strategy that they will pass on WR early in the draft because it was so deep. I can't remember the teams, but there were a couple that really failed with this strategy (meaning they didn't even pick a top 40 WR as the wideouts started flying off the board).

I'm with the strategists that say pick where it is strongest early. Your chances of striking greatness are much improved.
                  "He's going to be the #1 receiver, and is going to be a star in this league for a long time" Todd Mcshay on Jerry Jeudy

Comment

• johnlimburg
                    Ring of Famer
                    • Sep 2009

Originally posted by MarshallMoss View Post
                    I think many teams went in with the strategy that they will pass on WR early in the draft because it was so deep. I can't remember the teams, but there were a couple that really failed with this strategy (meaning they didn't even pick a top 40 WR as the wideouts started flying off the board).

I'm with the strategists that say pick where it is strongest early. Your chances of striking greatness are much improved.
                    Recent history of successfully selecting wide receivers doesn't suggest that, and you can't really call it a failing strategy when none of the guys have taken a snap in the NFL yet. When it comes to drafting wide receivers, this strategy of holding out to draft guys after that 20th pick has actually proven to provide the most value to teams in the long-term. Also with this being a stacked wide receiver class, basic supply and demand principles would tell you that it probably was a smart strategy overall in building out a more talented overall roster.

We will see how it pans out, but I still think value-wise taking a slot guy and potentially a number 2 receiver in the top 15 is poor value. I think he adds Calvin Ridley type numbers consistently for us, but I question with the talent that was available was that the best use of resources? And also, how great is the opportunity costs of not adding another position which was much thinner when it came around to our later selections. Time will tell I guess.

Comment

• MarshallMoss
                      Special Teams
                      • Sep 2007

Originally posted by johnlimburg View Post
                      Recent history of successfully selecting wide receivers doesn't suggest that, and you can't really call it a failing strategy when none of the guys have taken a snap in the NFL yet. When it comes to drafting wide receivers, this strategy of holding out to draft guys after that 20th pick has actually proven to provide the most value to teams in the long-term. Also with this being a stacked wide receiver class, basic supply and demand principles would tell you that it probably was a smart strategy overall in building out a more talented overall roster.

We will see how it pans out, but I still think value-wise taking a slot guy and potentially a number 2 receiver in the top 15 is poor value. I think he adds Calvin Ridley type numbers consistently for us, but I question with the talent that was available was that the best use of resources? And also, how great is the opportunity costs of not adding another position which was much thinner when it came around to our later selections. Time will tell I guess.
                      I think you are in the majority with this opinion. I think if you have a chance in drafting the next OBJ or Jerry Rice you have to go for it. Will there be a of HOFer or two of wide receivers from this 2020 class drafted in the later rounds? Probably...but getting that pick right would be a crap shoot. Truth is, even in a stacked WR class, only a handful of them are going to have 10 year careers as a starter, let alone HOF.

I just want the best "Difference Maker" for our team regardless of position. This year Jeudy was that guy for me. On D it would have been Simmons, but he was going to be too costly.

I'm even more excited we have Jeudy because of the limitations we have to practice this year. Jeudy is the most polished NFL ready WR draftee and will be way ahead of his fellow rookie wideouts. I just believe his ceiling is right up there with any receiver in this class as well.

When you say "slot WR", is there any slot WR playing in the NFL past or present that you would have drafted at 15 for us? I'm curious if it is strictly a positional bias or if there would be exceptions if you were guaranteed the level of play that would justify drafting a position that high.

Comment

• arapaho
                        reserved for losing bet
                        • Mar 2004

I for one cant wait to see CHJ flailing his arms as judge juedy smokes him

I loved CHJ but him chosing to go to the chargers on a lessor money contract just chaps my hide
                        sigpic
                        when do native Americans become human and not mascots

Comment

• Papa-pwn
                          Captain
                          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by arapaho View Post
                          I for one cant wait to see CHJ flailing his arms as judge juedy smokes him

I loved CHJ but him chosing to go to the chargers on a lessor money contract just chaps my hide
                          I agree. That being said, I think the contract he did take will actually end up being more than he's worth by season's end. He is going to get burnt, a lot, by the AFC West WRs.

Comment

• FR Tim
                            Football Immortal
                            • Jul 2013

Originally posted by Papa-pwn View Post
                            I agree. That being said, I think the contract he did take will actually end up being more than he's worth by season's end. He is going to get burnt, a lot, by the AFC West WRs.
                            A lot of CBs are going to get burned by AFC West WRs. Not just CHJ.

I am thrilled with the Bronco WR / TE receiving potential and think they have the abilities to abuse quite a few defenses.

On the other side of the ball it will be interesting to see how the Bronco CBs hold up against some of those same AFC West WRs.

Real possibility we may be complaining about how often they are getting “ burnt” instead of judging a disgruntled past player that was pushed out the door by the FO.

Comment

Working...
                            X