Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HDbroncos02 View Post
    If Joe Flacco was still our QB that might be what our offensive plan would have to look like .

The bottom-line is... our offense only surrendered 5 sacks in the 5 games that Lock started. That OL faced Joey Bosa, Melvin Ingram, Frank Clark, and Trey Flowers without getting Lock killed. That is a testament to Bolles' improvement (Wilkinson did get destroyed a few times though). I think our FO thinks a lot higher of our OL than we do. I hate Bolles' holding penalties more than anything else-- heck, I've been tired of it since Russell Okung wiped out every good play our 2016 offense had. But Lock's athleticism and quick decision-making has helped our OL immensely. I am hoping for James to come back healthy, and I mean he absolutely tried to come back and play for us. He admitted to rushing his recovery before he was 100% and came back for the Indy game where he suffered his season-ending injury. It's unfortunate, but I'm optimistic with all this extra time off from football activities, he'll heal up properly and be starting at RT for us and living up to his contract.

The odds of James playing a full season are slim to none. His pattern is to show up every other season so we might get lucky. I wonít waste time on Bolles. Lock was very good at recognizing and moving away from pressure. The new weapons should make it easier for Lock. It will be difficult for defenses to match up with 00 and 01 receiver packages we can put on the field (and maybe 02).

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    The odds of James playing a full season are slim to none. His pattern is to show up every other season so we might get lucky. I won’t waste time on Bolles. Lock was very good at recognizing and moving away from pressure. The new weapons should make it easier for Lock. It will be difficult for defenses to match up with 00 and 01 receiver packages we can put on the field (and maybe 02).
    I'm expecting to see Jake Rodgers at RT by week 4, and a 2021 1st round pick of LT to replace Bolles. I can see us signing Glenn, Beachum, Demar Dotson, or Jason Peters prior to the season starting.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    I'm expecting to see Jake Rodgers at RT by week 4, and a 2021 1st round pick of LT to replace Bolles. I can see us signing Glenn, Beachum, Demar Dotson, or Jason Peters prior to the season starting.
    Lord, help us.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Lord, help us.
    I thought Rodgers was pretty good the final games when he replaced Wilkinson.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

I thought Rodgers was pretty good the final games when he replaced Wilkinson.
    Jake came off the bench against the Lions and did OK. He started against the Raiders and was pretty shaky.

With all the hype of the draft I just about forgot about those free agents. Itís very unlikely James will last. Hopefully with more weapons and better interior line Lock will play well despite the weaknesses at tackle.

I canít wait to see Jeudy on the field with Sutton. Should be fun to watch.

I know there are many that will never change their opinion, but for the others, see this.

Add the fact that the defenses Lock faced, with the exception of KC, ranked near the bottom of the league in sacks:

Houston 26
    Detroit 31
    Raiders 25
    Los Angeles 28
    Kansas City 11

I think Lock did a nice job recognizing and moving away from pressure. At the same time the defenses werenít good at getting after the quarterback.

Add the fact that the defenses Lock faced, with the exception of KC, ranked near the bottom of the league in sacks:

Houston 26
    Detroit 31
    Raiders 25
    Los Angeles 28
    Kansas City 11

I think Lock did a nice job recognizing and moving away from pressure. At the same time the defenses weren’t good at getting after the quarterback.
    In the first meetings against Denver: Oakland had 3 sacks, Chargers had 3 sacks and KC had 8 sacks. They had no issues getting to the QB against Denver.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    The issue goes beyond that. The need to cater to his side of the offensive line with a running back or tight-end takes another man out from running a route. The need to send screens to the other side of the formation on quick throws because you know the pass protection isn't going to hold up. The need to run the ball off of the right side because Bolles gets his face crossed so easily by lineman to shoot inside and stop runs that don't get bounced. Getting driven back into the face of the quarterback. Hurries without hits. The miscommunications with his inside guard. The idea that this ends the narrative on conversation which is much more complex is quite silly.
    Is this your proposal or was it something Denver actually did? How frequently did this happen in the last 5 games? Iíll gladly go back and watch GamePass coachesí film if I have to. I saw plenty of pass sets where Bolles held up fine without help from a TE/RB nor the LG. If anything, I noticed more pressure on Lock was being generated on the right side when that revolving door of Wilkinson/Rodgers was at RT. I will say James looked good in his limited snaps in the Texans game.

Houston 26
    Detroit 31
    Raiders 25
    Los Angeles 28
    Kansas City 11

I think Lock did a nice job recognizing and moving away from pressure. At the same time the defenses werenít good at getting after the quarterback.
    Joey Bosa and Ingram are pretty good pass rushers and we shut them out.

The Lions were really bad and we shut them out too.

Houston had 1 sack
    KC had 2 sacks ( Tyran Mathieu had one on a blitz)
    Raiders had 2 sacks ( 1.5 from Crosby who was a good pass rusher all year.

You can take from this what you want. Our oline improved last year, and had some highs and lows. Worst game was the 9 sack game vs KC ( we improved by only allowing 2 in the rematch)
    I was surprised when we only allowed 2 to an elite Bears defense in week 2.

The last 5 games allowing an avg. of a sack a game gives me hope going into 2020. We get possible upgrades at C, RG and RT.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    We have a good defense. We have good depth everywhere except at ILB.
    We have a good defense, but last year the Chiefs defense played a lot better, in both games!! Didn't the Broncos muster 9 pts in two games against them, and our "good" defense let them score 53. One game was in the snow, or it would have been worst.

Chargers may have the best defense in the AFC West. Not really sure where we are in the AFC West. Von is a shell of himself and is just taking up a crucial spot making $25.6M in 2020.

If we had a new DE and DT I'd feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by HDbroncos02 View Post
    Is this your proposal or was it something Denver actually did? How frequently did this happen in the last 5 games? I’ll gladly go back and watch GamePass coaches’ film if I have to. I saw plenty of pass sets where Bolles held up fine without help from a TE/RB nor the LG. If anything, I noticed more pressure on Lock was being generated on the right side when that revolving door of Wilkinson/Rodgers was at RT. I will say James looked good in his limited snaps in the Texans game.
    Proposal, feel free to go back and watch. And it isn't about Wilkerson being worse, he is in pass protection. But against the Raiders from memory Bolles only gave up one pressure plus half of a sack, he actually done a really solid job against the rookie Crosby who had from most accounts a great rookie season, so that was positive. Against the Chargers you will see a combination of constant quick screens away from Bolles, runs off the right edge, miscommunications leading to a couple pressures. etc. Against Houston you see the early block in the back to take away a touchdown from Lindsay, you will see the help, the driving back into Locks face, 3 pressures from memory. Against the Chiefs you will see the help, the ease of which guys pass his face, and I think 3 pressures plus 1 hit as well.

Now the Detroit game. I don't say such positive about Bolles, but in stretches you see the reasons why he was a first round pick, but then he just has brain snaps. In the Detroit game I specifically remember it because it exemplifies what I don't like about Bolles. For the most part he holds up in protection, and plays a lot of good snaps. When he has his legs underneath him and plays within his frame, he is solid. He can move through traffic in the run game and uses his body well to create lanes, he is athletic for a big man.

But then there are plays where he just stands there on a screen to his side not touching anyone not looking for work. There is a play where he gets beat and just wraps both arms around the guy and luckily gets away with a hold. There a play where he gets driven back into the quarterbacks face, but only because he gives the edge man about a 4 yard cushion and pretty much setup in Locks face before contact. On 4th down the ease at which someone beats him across his face leads to the read option play getting blown up. He did also have a silly hold where he got beat at the start of the game and another play where he came off the snap late as well on a 3rd down to ruin the down.

I understand why at times Elway probably doesn't think he needs to replace Bolles, and thinks he is almost there. But then there will just be a handful of plays where he gets plays blown up, and all in one game. I will say, Wilkerson makes Bolles look elite at times. The ease at which Wilkerson gets beat of the snap is really concerning. I can't see him beating out Bolles, regardless of how I think Bolles should be replaced. Wilkerson is not the replacement we need. But to the original response, there is more to the narrative than the few stats that reporter highlighted

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    In the first meetings against Denver: Oakland had 3 sacks, Chargers had 3 sacks and KC had 8 sacks. They had no issues getting to the QB against Denver.
    In the first game vs Raiders the Broncos averaged 8.6 yards per pass. In the second game with Lock they averaged 6.3 yards per pass. In the first game vs Chargers the Broncos averaged 9.1 yards per pass. In the second game Lock averaged 4.8 yards per play. I canít remember every play but it seemed like Scangarello tried to stretch the field with routes that took longer to develop. Itís not a secret Flacco held onto the ball too long on some plays, but they also designed some plays for Lock to get the ball out.

Lock avoiding pressure and playing better than Flacco doesnít make Bolles a better tackle - just masks his poor play a little more.

In the first game vs Raiders the Broncos averaged 8.6 yards per pass. In the second game with Lock they averaged 6.3 yards per pass. In the first game vs Chargers the Broncos averaged 9.1 yards per pass. In the second game Lock averaged 4.8 yards per play. I canít remember every play but it seemed like Scangarello tried to stretch the field with routes that took longer to develop. Itís not a secret Flacco held onto the ball too long on some plays, but they also designed some plays for Lock to get the ball out.

Lock avoiding pressure and playing better than Flacco doesnít make Bolles a better tackle - just masks his poor play a little more.
    Winning a game trumps any other stat