This weekend is a fork in the road for Elway with 7 picks in the first 4 rounds

For the first time in many years, this franchise is trending in an upwards direction. Elway has found key starters in back to back drafts, something he didn't do for a long stretch leading into that. He has found a quarterback who stepped in and showed a lot of poise and mental ability, and has the physical make up to potentially be that guy. The coach is now in place in my opinion, and a good, qualified staff is behind that coach to implement quality teaching and leadership across the board. Which leads me to this weekend, and how important this draft class will be to shaping the future of the team.

We have 7 picks inside the first 4 rounds, that is huge. I still see the roster as being quite underwhelming in terms of depth and overall talent, but we have a chance to add to our core of young guys this weekend with a lot of talented youth. It's no secret teams who draft well in the middle rounds, and get key contributions from those guys do well, especially in the medium term, where they don't earn much money, but start to enter their primes.

Some people believe these are the key rounds where you build out a roster and I personally agree. What worries me though, and it's no secret, but Elway historically has been bad in the middle rounds, and they are going to be crucial this year. Even in 2018 which has been put up there as one of his better drafts, the middle rounds are still ugly, that can't happen this year with all the ammo we have in that region, and where we are trending as a team.

I compare this weekend a little bit to what Elway took over in 2011, and the importance of that draft for building for the future. Elway took over a complete mess, from the roster, to the PR side, McDaniels was horrible across the board. But Elway came in, used those first 2 rounds to find 3 starters, and they played a lot over the next 4 years. The same was done in 2018 with Chubb, Sutton, and Freeman to a lesser extent, and last year with Fant, Risner, Lock, and Jones.

Fangio is not scared to play young guys, and that is why I personally like him. I for a long time have been wanting to see us cut the dead weight, veterans like Harris, Wolfe, Gotsis, Leary, and it's started to happen. Fangio also played unproven guys last year like Johnson, and Purcell, finding starters in guys who we didn't have to use high picks on, or much money to find. That is why I believe if we can add football players this weekend with the mental capability to backup the physical, we will see Fangio getting the most out of the rookies again, and from day one.

So pretty much, with 7 picks in the first 4 rounds, there are endless situations that could play out with Denver moving around and up, because 7 guys in that region are probably not all coming in and playing. But the key will be finding key contributors, guys who are going to play this year, and going to turn into those foundation players in the coming years. Elway got Chubb and Sutton in 2018, he got Fant, Risner, Lock, and Jones last year, but if he can add potentially 5 names to that list this weekend, we could be ready to compete for something bigger than a positive record in 2021. This is the most exciting time to be a Bronco fan in a long time, but the most important as well in my opinion. This opportunity Elway has cannot be squandered.

Not to trample your enthusiasm but the Broncos only have 6 picks in the top 4 rounds.

Still agree with much of the sentiment and opinions expressed... just one less pick.

Ahhh idiot, yeah the AJ Bouye trade, my bad. At least it was the later of the 2 fourth rounders so that is a plus.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    Ahhh idiot, yeah the AJ Bouye trade, my bad. At least it was the later of the 2 fourth rounders so that is a plus.
    Who knows maybe you are predicting the ever popular trade down for an additional pick concept.

You could end up being right.

Quote Originally Posted by FR Tim View Post
    Who knows maybe you are predicting the ever popular trade down for an additional pick concept.

You could end up being right.
    or a trade of jeff or royce or both

Quote Originally Posted by armedequation View Post
    or a trade of jeff or royce or both
    For a fourth ? I don't think either have value at all, let alone for something that high. Maybe they could be a sweetener in a trade up for down scenario, like using a 7th rounder to push a deal over the line. Running backs are fragile, I'd keep Freeman, he has more value here than in a trade.