• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rich_C
    Captain
    • Aug 2012

Draft Surprises (Denver Only)

Hello Al,

So while I think we all looked at the current roster and saw that a WR was much needed I wondered about the overall quality of your CBs and OTs more. Personally I was quite surprised that Elway didn't trade up in the 1st to try and nab a replacement for Bolles. AT this stage you typically want to see your budding LT improve why near the end of last season we did see Bolles at least hold his own - to date in his career he is most known for what he was in college. A talented LT but takes too many penalties due to poor technique and lack of discipline.

I'd liked to have seen us move up for one of the top 3-4 OT's personally as I believe they are becoming harder and harder to find quality.
  • mozzerpete
    All-Pro
    • May 2008

My two draft surprises are:

Okwuegbunam, Albert TE
    Hamler, KJ WR

Let's just say, my current Madden-O is far more potent than any during Manning years.

Comment

• CanDB
      Football Immortal
      • Mar 2008

My first surprise was Hamler. I was waiting to hear a name come out of Roger's mouth, and when the name equated to WR, I scratched my head. It's good to go for weapons, but not necessarily the first 2 picks. I would have expected OT, CB or maybe even another position of some need.

My next surprise was Ojemudia. Seemed like a bit of a reach.

My next surprise was that Cush was available. Good surprise.

My last surprise was that we chose zero OTs.

Comment

• johnlimburg
        Ring of Famer
        • Sep 2009

Those typical Elway middle round picks, Hamler and Ojemudia were not the best players on the board in most peoples estimation, and then coming back with Agim in the later third round is a not talked about pick, I don't get that. He has shown minimal flashes athletically of being full of potential, but he is raw and not the type of guy you take a flyer on at that spot. I'll be interested to see how they plan to use him the short-term, i'll assume they wont.

Comment

• CanDB
          Football Immortal
          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by johnlimburg View Post
          Those typical Elway middle round picks, Hamler and Ojemudia were not the best players on the board in most peoples estimation, and then coming back with Agim in the later third round is a not talked about pick, I don't get that. He has shown minimal flashes athletically of being full of potential, but he is raw and not the type of guy you take a flyer on at that spot. I'll be interested to see how they plan to use him the short-term, i'll assume they wont.
          I do agree. I rated the draft quite good, but Big John has a tendency to shock and awe!! Some moves that make you scratch your head, and then a brilliant one follows!! I wish I could give him a big pat for Jeudy, but that one was fairly easy, if we wanted to upgrade our WR position. It was him or Lamb...could not really go wrong.

Comment

• samparnell
            Soy Capitan Meshpoint
            • Nov 2007

For decades now, I have always been interested in finding out about Denver's draftees. With the internet we have a lot of information about players, but the rankings are opinion. Each team has picks that don't conform to the rankings of the pre-draft mocks. The ultimate ranking is the order in which they were chosen. Time will tell. The initial indicators are making the roster, playing time, becoming a starter and getting on the PS for late round guys.

The 2020 group is a very interesting collection of people who play football. One thing internet scouting reports don't convey is what it's like to meet and work with these guys. How smart are they football and non-footballwise? Are they good citizens? Are they good teammates and do they contribute to a good lockerroom environment? There are different leadership styles which make up the chemistry which also must include comedians and steady, calm personalities.
            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Working...
            X