Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    LTs are the highest paid because of the antiquated notion that defences will line up their best pass rusher on the QBs blind side. But teams are working so hard to get multiple pass rushers that you often see good pass rushers on the offensive right. Or teams will move them around. A good RT is just as valuable as a good LT.

As for Larmey Tunsil, that's because he plays for the worst GM in the league. The GM was wrong in trading two first round picks for him, and then doubled down by overpaying him significantly. To put it in perspective, PFF graded Tunsil out lower than Bolles. If that's the new $22 million lineman, then actual good players will be breaking $30 million.
    Quote Originally Posted by L.M. View Post
    "Antiquated" means outdated and obsolete. Exploiting the area where the QB can't see easily will never be outdated, and it's not a novel concept to sandwich him from the other side either. Most veteran LT's are paid slightly more than RT's currently, and some are also the same-- the second highest paid tackles in both categories are each making $16.5M. LT career earnings have been substantially higher than RT.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings...ackle/veteran/

https://overthecap.com/career-earnings/left-tackle/

Anyway, this is a tangent of a tangent, back to Elway "crushing it".
    My take....if you have a blind side, you better have good blocking. It's a physical fact, if a guy can't see what's coming, they are usually a lot more vulnerable. And if teams have to change the way they attack, because you have such a good LT (assuming a right handed QB), that means the LT you have is worth some money.

This draft is a B for me. Not that instant reactions mean anything.

Jerry Jeudy: Im not the biggest Jeudy fan, I think he's a good player, but I think we got a high tier #2 WR, not a #1 type guy. He will be reliant on Sutton, and I think a Calvin Ridley like season 1 is to be expected. I also think he was #2 on our board which is shown by the next pick.

KJ Hamler: We missed out on Ruggs, so we went for the speed in round 2. Again his speed will open things up, but unlike Ruggs he has so concerning drop issues. I liked Hamler in the 3rd due to this reason, but I don't hate the pick. I think he has a role, but it will be very specialized. He's another guy that doesn't have #1 potential, but will affect the offense.

Michael Ojemudia: This is all about fit here. Oj will be a very nice fit in Fangio's scheme, and is highly intelligent. There was miscommunication at times last year, and I think this is a point of emphasis for Vic and Donatell. He has very little man experience, but has the tools. To me it was a little high for some teams, but for our team it wasnt bad.

Lloyd Cushenberry III: This might be my favorite pick out of the first 2 days of the draft. Highly intelligent center out of LSU. His potential shined at the senior bowl where he was one of the only iOL who could match up with Kinlaw. We got a long term partner for Lock, which is huge. The iOL is looking very strong between Risner, Glasgow, and Cush.

McTelvin Agim: I'll admit I don't know much about him, I don't watch a ton of Razorback games. From what I've gathered, is he's another scheme fit guy with high upside. Could be similar to the Justin Simmons pick where we get the high character athlete that fits our scheme. Should be rotational this year, but given the uncertainty for our aging DL, young talent was needed.

Michael Okwuegbunam: I love this pick, and have been on this train for awhile now. Lock's collegiate TE and old security blanket. Our TE room might seem crowded, but given the durability concerns I'm glad we added another guy. I think he plays in certain situations and sub packages early on, but with his proximity to Lock(both in Missouri) and prior chemistry, I wouldn't be shocked to see him get a ton of playing time by year's end. Big and fast, and gives us two mismatch TEs.

Justin Strnd: Believe it or not, another Captain. He fills an area at ILB that we are missing in terms of coverage. I don't know if we have given up on the Hollins to ILB experiment, but Strnd has potential to take over Davis spot in the future. Fangio knows LBs, so I'm excited to see what we got. If not for injury, he probably goes much higher

Netane Muti: This is the swing for the fences pick. Injuries are the issue here, but the raw talent and demeanor is clearly evident. I remember watching the Fresno line a few years back, and oh my. He falls into the ideal situation to be developed by Munchak, who has a penchant of developing late round guys. Even Ramon Foster said on Twitter that Munch was going to develop to hell out of him. He also received positive good to go at the combine recheck. Oh and his mom called the fit a week ago. We could look back in a couple years and thank the heavens he was there.

Tyrie Cleveland: Big and Athletic WR, who didn't have a ton of production. He is in a loaded WR room, but maybe he makes it on special teams.

Derrek Tuszka: Highly productive and athletic edge guy from the FCS level. You want guys with a winning resume, well he's got it. Only real thing he's missing is with his arm length. Ideal draft and stash guy. Hopefully he can be for us, what Maxx Williams was to the Raiders last year. Oh and he worked out at Landow, so he's used to the Colorado area which he says he fell in love with while training.

Overall, I don't dislike the WR picks, but I just think there are better options. I think we killed the iOL picks, but time will tell. The defensive guys are both developmental scheme fits, but I like the potential. The duo of Michael O and Lock is going to be a thing of beauty for a long time. Overall, I think we got two day 1 starters, with 3 more high snap guys. I wouldn't be shocked at by seasons end we have 4-5 starters from the class.

OT are well paid because it is very hard to finds guys that can block both 250 lbs speed guys that have matrix type moves as well as 300 lb athletic freaks.
    Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Quote Originally Posted by the0rangecrush View Post
    This draft is a B for me. Not that instant reactions mean anything.
    A B is fine. Not much into grades, but for me C is 2 starters, B is 2 starters and a solid rotational piece, and an A 3 starters at some point the year they are drafted. I think we have a shot at 2-4 starters in this draft and maybe even a couple sub package guys. Lots of high character guys create winning culture too, so there is some value add.
    Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

I'm not into premature celebrations and comparisons, going into ecstatic convulsions over a pick, counting chickens before they hatch, nor grading this draft until I see how these players pan out.
    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by L.M. View Post
    I'm not into premature celebrations and comparisons, going into ecstatic convulsions over a pick, counting chickens before they hatch, nor grading this draft until I see how these players pan out.
    Humbug!!!

I enjoy the grading and all that stuff, because it's just fun. Hate to imagine my success rate over the years, in this and every other sport!

My tendency is lean towards how many starters does it look like, and then I read/listen to a group of folks (incl. here) for added info on players I am not familiar with.

And not to mean this as a downer, but sometimes folks get a little pumped at this time of the year, knowing full well that a number of players do not make the final grade so to speak.

BUT....I see 3 game one starters, and that's my magic number. I also see some potential starters, and definitely role players.

It was not exactly how I would have wrote the script, but no one's paying me to GM this team...and never should!! I still think we needed an OT within rounds 1-3, and as to what someone else mentioned, Ojemudia seemed like a bit of a reach. HOWEVER, Elway nabbed Cush later, and that was a great selection!

Overall I am happy. I love O. Seems like the KC success is influencing some teams. But having said that, we needed O and badly. And folks here will know that I really like Lock, and I am especially happy for him, and the way his GM has supported him this year....giving him the keys to the caddy!!

Hope we get to see these guys play football this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    I could see where Watching Schurmurs offense in Minnesota during the 2017 season would get anyone excited but seeing the Giants 2019 offense brings one back down to earth.

Iím sure this offense will be very good, Iím just hoping Schurmur does a few things differently in 2020 than 2019!
    I say that, because I'm not having to look at the glass half full, and project at quarterback. I already felt good about Lock, but the way we've built the offense around him makes me feel better. Like others, I am still concerned about protecting him on the edges, because he did make some bad mistakes last season due to bad pass protection. I watched Baker Mayfield regress mightily last season, primarily because of poor pass protection, and this was despite a concerted effort to surround him with weapons. The optimism for me in that regard is that I do have trust in our staff. Fangio, Shurmur, and Munchak in particular, I feel good about. I never had much trust in VJ beyond, I think it was week 4 of his first year. Never really had much faith in our quarterbacks, despite projecting the best case scenarios for them, which of course did not materialize and they were exposed. I don't think we need things to go right to the same degree as was needed with Siemien, Keenum, and Flacco.

The draft looks very good and the overall team is looking improved. I am excited about that. I agree this is all on paper, the proof will be on the field.

But some key positives I am focusing on is each of the players seem to have a specific role. They fit. Having only a couple slotted in to start is a big deal, if they live up to expectations. Cushenbery and Jeudy change the offense significantly in key areas. I would not be shocked to see Ojemudia earning the CB2 position and third starter. All areas of need going into the draft.

. Same with the contributions of the role players. None of he rest are expected to do anything but contribute, the more they contribute the more playing time they get. All have starters in front of them but clear roles defined to be successful IMO. Limited and specific roles they can meet if they play to their expectations
    and stay healthy.

Maybe I'm looking at it with Bronco bias. But I see the Broncos as trending up. Getting key players back this year. New additions playing well. Draft picks (most not all) playing to expectations. I'm excited to see the Offensive transitioning to be more efficient and score more points. The Defense staying solid and being top 10 level again

This draft seems to have contributors and impact players . Can't wait to see them prove it on the field. .

Quote Originally Posted by the0rangecrush View Post
    This draft is a B for me.

KJ Hamler: We missed out on Ruggs, so we went for the speed in round 2. Again his speed will open things up, but unlike Ruggs he has so concerning drop issues. I liked Hamler in the 3rd due to this reason, but I don't hate the pick. I think he has a role, but it will be very specialized. He's another guy that doesn't have #1 potential, but will affect the offense.
    I am not convinced this is anything more than decent guess. Not disagreeing but saying there are many other possibilities. I do appreciate the perspective.

We clearly wanted to upgrade our WR corps with speed and athleticism, we had one of the worst set of WRs in the league last year. I think we would have ended up with a couple even if we took Ruggs, but who knows?

I think it is equally likely that Ruggs was never our guy and we liked Jeudy better. at the end of the day, Elway seems to be going for certain type of guys. I am not convinced Ruggs fits the mold. But I am sure others could look at Jeudy the same way.

I understand the drops criticism, but Ruggs has his downfalls as well. I would be shocked if Ruggs becomes a #1 in this league.

It will be really interesting to see how our WRs evolve compared to the Raiders. I was never the biggest Ruggs fan but I like Bowden and Edwards. Letís hope we got the better end of it

I'd be interested in the logic of Jeudy over Lamb. I haven't seen this conversation. I'm very happy with the pick. Cowboys are in the Superbowl for the next three years according to usual deluded Cowboy fans. I bet Cee Dee isn't used to seeing the ball sail over his head.

any chance of being the sixth team on thiis list?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...eceiving_trios

Quote Originally Posted by BiscuitBronco View Post

Too much talent to spread around the ball now. I see more like 5 receiver 500+ yards (Sutton, Jeudy, Hamler, Fant and Gordon). With Sutton and Jeudy closer if not reaching 1000 yard marks.
    "He's going to be the #1 receiver, and is going to be a star in this league for a long time" Todd Mcshay on Jerry Jeudy

Quote Originally Posted by BiscuitBronco View Post

In a couple years????

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    I could see where Watching Schurmurs offense in Minnesota during the 2017 season would get anyone excited but seeing the Giants 2019 offense brings one back down to earth.

Iím sure this offense will be very good, Iím just hoping Schurmur does a few things differently in 2020 than 2019!
    I wouldn't read too much into the stint with the Giants. He tried to win with an at the end of the road QB in Eli Manning, then throwing in a rookie QB 3 games into the season, with one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL, plus, the team shipping out their best WR in Beckham. Granted, Shurmur's not a good head coach, but he's a good OC. Our offensive talent is closer to what he had in Minnesota than what he had in New York.