Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    I always find the draft interesting because we all have our fun expressing our opinions of needs and specific players then become “disappointed “ when Elway doesn’t agree.

Elway didn’t prioritize the replacement of OT as much as we fans did. He had multiple opportunities to make a pick. He simply had other plans. I grade what he did not what I wish he had done.

Saw a post from Klis stating a free agent tackle may be a part of the plan. If so , the draft makes more sense. We shall see

Quote Originally Posted by FR Tim View Post
    I always find the draft interesting because we all have our fun expressing our opinions of needs and specific players then become “disappointed “ when Elway doesn’t agree.

Elway didn’t prioritize the replacement of OT as much as we fans did. He had multiple opportunities to make a pick. He simply had other plans. I grade what he did not what I wish he had done.

Saw a post from Klis stating a free agent tackle may be a part of the plan. If so , the draft makes more sense. We shall see
    Woody Paige said similar things with the FA OT. He said keep an eye out on Kelvin Beachum

Quote Originally Posted by FL BRONCO View Post
    [/B]

See I think counting on James/Bolles/Wilkinson to be there consistently and protect our qb is very irresponsible imo.
    Is it? We did that last year, and James wasn't even playing, yet Lock was only sacked once a game.

Quote Originally Posted by the0rangecrush View Post
    Woody Paige said similar things with the FA OT. He said keep an eye out on Kelvin Beachum
    I was wrong, just went to the other thread and checked. . It was a W. Paige comment I was thinking about.

Would make sense with no OT picks at all. Will be interesting to see if it works out that way. Also who they choose will reveal a lot too. Spend the cap and bring in a starter quality (Beachum) or more of a depth guy (Erving) ???

Either way an additional vet OT added to the room would make me feel better too.

I think it´s premature to define if Elway killed it or not, we will see with the pieces running.

For instance I would have taken a CB with the 46 pick, maybe Kristian Fulton or Trevon Diggs, I see Ojemudia a bit green for the NFL and we don´t have an elite CB, perhaps fits what Fangio wants for his defence and I feel that KJ Hamler could have fallen to the 3rd round.

But it´s my opinion and if Elway and Fangio picked what they feel will fit their system I guess it´s ok. Time will tell.

Equally, I see this as a good draft, adding a lot of speed to our offence, giving Lock a lot weapons, improving our o-line with the addition of Cushenberry. Can´t wait for the season to start!

Quote Originally Posted by the0rangecrush View Post
    I would be happy with a decent FA OT. Yes, maybe a money situation. Wait a little, price is more right.

And though I might beat this dead horse a little (after all, where are we without our dead horse scenarios), I still kind of preferred we put some priority into signing/selecting, even trading for a quality tackle. Some positions are not as critical on the field, but in a passing world, tackles are where I'd put some money. Not to say interior Oline is unimportant, because it is not! But my concern with John since we signed Manning was his inability to find a good QB, and his approach to managing the Oline….as in, not much happening. Last year was different, selecting Risner. This year the interior was well taken care of.....very well! Hoping that we sign a tackle, and looking ahead, select one relatively early next year.

Interesting thing, this Oline evolution. Growing up, the Guards were the guys!! They were paid better. They were viewed as quick, though fairly big men. Back then the run game was really important, and you needed players who could "swing" and all those other things. And the tackles were the "big guys". The QB driven, pass oriented, rule favouring game, as we know it, has made Tackles so important. But the great part of the game, it's about total Oline. You want a 5 pack of quality players. And if you have a guy like Yanda (before he retired), you are happy!!

Muti has actually played OT, he is not the prototypical size for OT, more so for OG BUT, Beachum is only 6'3" ~310lbs. Oh yeah, Beachum had 6 holding calls in 13 games last season.

I am surprised the Broncos did not draft an OT at all. They must think that position is not a urgent priority. I hope they're are right.

Quote Originally Posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
    Muti has actually played OT, he is not the prototypical size for OT, more so for OG BUT, Beachum is only 6'3" ~310lbs. Oh yeah, Beachum had 6 holding calls in 13 games last season.

I am surprised the Broncos did not draft an OT at all. They must think that position is not a urgent priority. I hope they're are right.
    I don't think it is either...…………

until game one!

I really like the draft, it does leave holes in the safety depth and yes OT, but we filled the roles at WR (with 3!) by taking the best on the board and one of the quickest WR in the league. I am excited to see those three on the field. I think our safeties are the best duo in the league, but we do need to add someone there still and I like the CB drafted, but we need someone to play now because I don't think Yiadom is an NFL starter. There is still FA to help with a veteran safety, corner and tackle. We are in very good shape, I trust in Bolles over the last 5 games vs. James at this point. Bolles was much better with Lock at QB and working with Munchak. Add in Glasgow with Cushenberry in the middle and the interior OL may be the best in the league. Let's remember we have many weapons now with 2 very good RBs, 2 stud WRs (yes Jeudy is a stud - this we all soon know) and 2-3 others that can compete along with a developing TE group. Can't fix everything in one draft. They still have money available and cuts to make.

I keep hearing praise about the way the Broncos drafted . I'm just not so sure about our 2nd pick . I would have thought an OT . I guess they felt like who was there when they picked wouldn't have beat Bolles or James out .

My take on the draft;

Jeudy- loved this pick, best WR in the draft at 15, nice! A+

Hamler- not who I wouid have picked here but I’m ok with it. Definitely adds another dimension to the offense and may upgrade our STs as well. B+

Ojemudia- we needed a corner so Fangio picked his guy. He knows more than I do so I will trust him on this one. B

Cushenberry- possibly my favorite pick of the draft. He should start from day 1 and was great value. Good pick John. A

Agim- at first I was like “who, what?” But after doing some research I think he might be a great pick. May be our starting NT by mid season. I was ok with this pick.
    B+

Okwuegbunam- HATED this pick, only pick of the draft I truly hated. Mostly because we already had a very crowded TE room and he’s mediocre at best. I didn’t understand this pick and could have been used much better imo. D

Strnad- I’m ok with this pick based on projection. We needed this position and maybe he’s the guy. Really wanted Troy Dye or Davis-Gaither, but well see how this plays out. B-

Muti- solid pick and possible future starter if healthy. Worth the risk here, good value. A-

Cleveland- meh, really didn’t need another WR but at this point go hum. C+

Tuzska- solid pick here with good upside. I love this kids motor and thought he might go in rounds 4-6. Possible Von replacement in a few years. B+

Overall:
    A very good draft in my opinion. Little disappointed in the lack of an OT and high pick at ILB. But overall I think we landed 3-4 starters and a few good depth guys. I like it.

A- overall!

I wasn’t doing backflips for Hamler, but I’m pretty happy with the draft on the whole. Very excited about Cushenberry. Seems like a very solid draft on paper.

The amount of personnel packages we will be able to field on offense is going to be ridiculous. Albert O really put the icing on the cake IMO. Him and Fant are too fast for LBs and too big for DBs, and a 2 TE set becomes incredibly dangerous for a defense to defend. If they come out in a base package to defend it, that could be or become a 5 wide set where the defense is forced to put a LB, multiple LBs, or a LB and a S on the TEs as well as Gordon/Lindsay who pose their own matchup problems. And they can’t forget about Sutton, Jeudy, or Hamler whoever is out there at WR. And around the goal line that can be even more lethal because Lock running the ball is another threat to account for.

Neither Albert nor Fant are great run blockers yet, but Fant at least early on showcased a willingness to get in there and even though he tapered towards the end of the season (I think due to penalties) I expect a big improvement in that area this year. Albert spent time on the scout oline at Missouri and he has all the tools needed to be a great blocker, he just needs coaching there.

Lock has a lot of weapons but he’s going to have put in overtime on the studying this offseason because with this many weapons he should want to have free reign over audibles because he can really dictate the matchup advantages.

What I love is that we didn’t make a single draft day trade and Elway was still able to come away with that draft. I feel like there’s always a trade up and/or trade down during the draft. Stuck to his guns and made 10 excellent additions that will only make us better.

My take:

Jeudy and Hamler will definately spice the offense up, but overall the value of the picks were just bad. Jeudy is Ridley 2.0. I have watched both guys several times and you would have a hard time picking each one out of a lineup. Ridley went #26 (granted it was a more talented draft) and we took Jeudy #15...

Hamler is a two trick pony, he has the ability to eat up cushion so fast it will push DBs back...which is a good thing for the run game because he sure aint blocking anyone. His tricks are vertical game and creating spacing. He should be excellent at both. I think late 2nd early third, but I don't mind the early grab.

Ojemudia is a guy that would have gone higher if Iowa played more press man. Tape just wasn't there, but this kid graded pout the highest at the Senior bowl and that was not based on him just playing zone. Think we found a solid #2 CB once he learns better technique.

Cush was good value and I am looking forward to the competition with Morris, think we really raised the floor on the OC position for 2020. Where is the ceiling? Have to see what Munch does with the kid.

McTelvin 5 star recruit stays local and maybe would have gone higher if he had some help. I do think he is raw, but his burst and bend for a man his size is unreal. Can see him taking over for Harris in 2021 if he adds some anchor to his game.

Muti is we start a hockey team I know who our enforcer will be.

Cleveland,I'm betting on this kid taking Tim Patricks spot. Patrick can't stay healthy and we Clevland just reminds me of Cody Latimer, except we did not have to drop a 2nd round pick on him to find out he is a decent #5 with strong ST value.

Derrek Tuszka - more OLB depth? Sure why not.

Albert O - Maybe my least favorite pick, but I am okay moving on from the Butts in our TE room.

Strand - another projection guy for maybe 2021 (seems like the 1st three defensive picks were all focused on 2021). May get some work in sub packages, but will need to earn his check on STs.
    Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots