Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 LastLast
Results 166 to 180 of 190
  1. #166
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Downtown Denver
    Posts
    6,314
    Quote Originally Posted by WYBRONCO View Post
    Hey, we beat the Texans too last year . I also would love for us to score 31 point on any of the AFC West teams. Defensively you have to be better than 32. Yes, I am fully aware of KC's track meet offense. But, to me, it becomes a defense issue if you are losing after your offense puts up 31. Turnovers can be a factor that could change my opinion but 31 points needs to get it done in almost every scenario of regulation NFL football.
    Exactly. Unless there are multiple turnovers then Vic takes 31 points all day.

  2. #167
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    5,359
    My expectations are not linked to how the Broncos match up with the elite teams. Broncos are not at that level.

    My expectations are in improvements and chemistry building in order to get a Wild Card spot. Instead of stressing how they will match up against KC I’m trying to stay focused on the teams the Broncos will be competing against.

    How do they stack up with Raiders, Chargers, Steelers, Colts, Titans and any other of the “surprise “ teams that I am hoping the Broncos will be a part of.

  3. #168
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,073
    I think we got 2 starters (Jeudy and Cush) and 1 maybe (Hamler) if he can overcome drops and, importantly, hang onto the ball when he's trucked by a 250lb LB. Fingers crossed.

    The draft focused on speed, which does matter. But we lost several games last year because the run game couldn't chew time on the clock at the end. I don't think that's improved. It's also asking a lot of Lock to sustain drives when he's put in 2nd and 11 or 3rd and 8+ situations, even with the added weapons. That's where the opportunity to fill other needs vs Hamler or even Jeudy vs turning pick 15 into 2 starters comes in. I wouldn't have double dipped at WR, especially with Hamler's floor being replaced next year. I hope I'm wrong, but the oline and depth could easily be the achilles heel of this season. Defensively, I think we're about the same as last year plus Chubb coming back. Good enough if the offense thrives, but not good enough to carry the offense.

  4. #169
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    36,192
    Quote Originally Posted by dgobronco View Post
    I think we got 2 starters (Jeudy and Cush) and 1 maybe (Hamler) if he can overcome drops and, importantly, hang onto the ball when he's trucked by a 250lb LB. Fingers crossed.

    The draft focused on speed, which does matter. But we lost several games last year because the run game couldn't chew time on the clock at the end. I don't think that's improved. It's also asking a lot of Lock to sustain drives when he's put in 2nd and 11 or 3rd and 8+ situations, even with the added weapons. That's where the opportunity to fill other needs vs Hamler or even Jeudy vs turning pick 15 into 2 starters comes in. I wouldn't have double dipped at WR, especially with Hamler's floor being replaced next year. I hope I'm wrong, but the oline and depth could easily be the achilles heel of this season. Defensively, I think we're about the same as last year plus Chubb coming back. Good enough if the offense thrives, but not good enough to carry the offense.
    I am pretty happy with our draft. My main concern is OT related...no new faces as of yet.

    I agree - we got 2 starters, though I believe Hamler is the 3rd. Kiper, who I do not follow, gave us a C+, because he felt that, outside of Jeudy, there are a number of hit or misses. Though Cush is a starter based on everything I read.

    There is often a tendency this time of year to be a bit excited about your draft, or even a bit disappointed. Depends on many variables. Some wear the "glasses" and 'drink the juice", and some are hard to please. Like any draft, this could be good or not so good.

    I love that we gave our QB some weapons, including Gordon in FA. Again, being 28th in scoring and total O needs improvement. You can hardly expect a playoff berth with those numbers. I like our D overall, and believe they can hold the fort for us, with some O help. Chubb's return is important, as are the FA acquisitions - Casey and Bouye. Our draft picks on D will be assessed later. Some good words about them.

    So for me, we will score more points this year. And the fact that Lock could stay basically upright and not throw many picks with that Oline is very encouraging. Winning 4 of 5 was an excellent way to conclude the season! My biggest question....with the weapons and the nice adds on the interior Oline, did we need to make that extra investment, at OT? I think we did, but I am not sure it will be as big a factor going forward. But sure would love one more signing, just to make sure.

  5. #170
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Mile High Stadium
    Posts
    10,031
    Quote Originally Posted by dgobronco View Post
    I think we got 2 starters (Jeudy and Cush) and 1 maybe (Hamler) if he can overcome drops and, importantly, hang onto the ball when he's trucked by a 250lb LB. Fingers crossed.

    The draft focused on speed, which does matter. But we lost several games last year because the run game couldn't chew time on the clock at the end. I don't think that's improved. It's also asking a lot of Lock to sustain drives when he's put in 2nd and 11 or 3rd and 8+ situations, even with the added weapons. That's where the opportunity to fill other needs vs Hamler or even Jeudy vs turning pick 15 into 2 starters comes in. I wouldn't have double dipped at WR, especially with Hamler's floor being replaced next year. I hope I'm wrong, but the oline and depth could easily be the achilles heel of this season. Defensively, I think we're about the same as last year plus Chubb coming back. Good enough if the offense thrives, but not good enough to carry the offense.
    Glasgow, Cushenberry, James, Vannet, and Gordon should all help in grinding out the clock late in games.
    Would love to see Netane Muti brought in on short yardage situations, guy is a powerful run blocker.

  6. #171
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,817
    Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    I am pretty happy with our draft. My main concern is OT related...no new faces as of yet.
    I too wanted to get more help on the OL this off season. I was essentially hoping we did with the OL what we did with the WRs.

    It seems the Broncos think Hamilton, Patrick, Freeman, Heuerman, Fumagalli, Jake Butt were in more need of an upgrade than Bolles/whoever is healthy at RT

    At this point we hope the OL we do have can block enough for Drew to enjoy his new weapons

    We did need the guys we got imo...we just had too many holes to plug em all in one off season.
    A good plan put into motion today is better than the ideal plan that is always coming sometime in the future.

  7. #172
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    31,566
    The interior O-Line looks good with the addition of Glasgow, Cushenberry and Muti. They will join "Route 66" Risner. I hope Muti's health is closely analyzed and managed. His rehab should be completed with a strength & conditioning program informed by the medical and training staffs. The goal should be to get him on a carefully structured program to recover and maintain health, so he can get back on the field. If that happens, he will most likely be in the top five.

    We will never know if Denver would have selected one of the top four Tackles in the event one would have been available at #15. As it happened, they went at #4, #10, #11 and #13. Seven O-Linemen were picked in the first round. We will also never know if Munchak, Shurmur, Fangio and Elway considered any of the Tackles available after the first round to be viable competition right away for either Bolles or James.

    So, after UDFA, Denver now has eight Tackles, but only three of them have any experience of which to speak; three were UDFAs last year and one this year. There is a credible rumor that Elway will try to sign a veteran UFA Tackle. That would be a great thing IMO, and there might be just enough cap space to pull it off.

    IDK if it will seem as good as this year's T class, but 2021 looks like it will be pretty good. This year I was hoping one of the top four would fall to Denver, but I thought if they didn't a really good WR probably would, and that's what happened. Maybe the Broncos will pick a T in the first round next year, and maybe they will draft more than one. I hope so.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

  8. #173
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,986
    Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    The interior O-Line looks good with the addition of Glasgow, Cushenberry and Muti. They will join "Route 66" Risner. I hope Muti's health is closely analyzed and managed. His rehab should be completed with a strength & conditioning program informed by the medical and training staffs. The goal should be to get him on a carefully structured program to recover and maintain health, so he can get back on the field. If that happens, he will most likely be in the top five.
    I agree with you on Muti being in the top 5.

    If Muti's health issues are overcome, I believe he is a better prospect than Cushenberry. Big IF given Muti's injury history

  9. #174
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    36,192
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadez View Post
    I too wanted to get more help on the OL this off season. I was essentially hoping we did with the OL what we did with the WRs.

    It seems the Broncos think Hamilton, Patrick, Freeman, Heuerman, Fumagalli, Jake Butt were in more need of an upgrade than Bolles/whoever is healthy at RT

    At this point we hope the OL we do have can block enough for Drew to enjoy his new weapons

    We did need the guys we got imo...we just had too many holes to plug em all in one off season.
    I think if we add one more Tackle this offseason, we might be ok. But though it is far in advance, I hope that if we still need an OT, we seriously go get one. It would be great to build a young, solid group and let them grow together. Synergy!!! Would love to have a group known for its power and protection. Big John knows a thing or two about playing behind a solid line!!

  10. #175
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    5,359
    I’m already assuming they are going to add an OT by free agency or trade since they chose not to in the draft.

    All that remains to be seen is the cost and quality.

    Starter quality, competitive depth ( similar to the Covington signing) or a trade and absorb a contract scenario.

    Maybe they can find a team needing a TE with an abundance of nice OT prospects. Wishing for too much? Lol

    I have read a ton of “grades and reviews” of the Broncos draft. The only negative ones I can find are one written by a KC beat writer (and hard core fan) and from Bronco fans that are mad Elway didn’t prioritize an OT as much as they did. Go figure.

  11. #176
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Downtown Denver
    Posts
    6,314
    Quote Originally Posted by FR Tim View Post
    My expectations are not linked to how the Broncos match up with the elite teams. Broncos are not at that level.

    My expectations are in improvements and chemistry building in order to get a Wild Card spot. Instead of stressing how they will match up against KC I’m trying to stay focused on the teams the Broncos will be competing against.

    How do they stack up with Raiders, Chargers, Steelers, Colts, Titans and any other of the “surprise “ teams that I am hoping the Broncos will be a part of.
    There is absolutely no logic in focusing on teams that won’t be competing for a Super Bowl. It’s about focusing on making the team better, and if there is any measuring stick to use it’s the champs/other contenders. Focusing on how the team matches up with losing teams won’t do anybody favors.

  12. #177
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Downtown Denver
    Posts
    6,314
    Quote Originally Posted by dgobronco View Post
    I think we got 2 starters (Jeudy and Cush) and 1 maybe (Hamler) if he can overcome drops and, importantly, hang onto the ball when he's trucked by a 250lb LB. Fingers crossed.

    The draft focused on speed, which does matter. But we lost several games last year because the run game couldn't chew time on the clock at the end. I don't think that's improved. It's also asking a lot of Lock to sustain drives when he's put in 2nd and 11 or 3rd and 8+ situations, even with the added weapons. That's where the opportunity to fill other needs vs Hamler or even Jeudy vs turning pick 15 into 2 starters comes in. I wouldn't have double dipped at WR, especially with Hamler's floor being replaced next year. I hope I'm wrong, but the oline and depth could easily be the achilles heel of this season. Defensively, I think we're about the same as last year plus Chubb coming back. Good enough if the offense thrives, but not good enough to carry the offense.
    So we add Gordon, Glasgow, and Cushenberry, yet you don’t think the run game improved? You must think the world of Connor McGovern.

  13. #178
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    13,804
    Quote Originally Posted by BroncoooJohnson View Post
    So we add Gordon, Glasgow, and Cushenberry, yet you don’t think the run game improved? You must think the world of Connor McGovern.
    Yeah.

    Our interior should be able pull guards left or right with the addition of Glasgow who was a top-10 guard last year - a big improvement. Cushenberry's draft analysis suggests he'll be a day-1 starter and an upgrade for run blocking - McGovern had a poor PFF run blocking grade of 64 (though a great pass blocking grade of 82.5). McGovern will likely see more improvement in both categories, but under Munchak he improved a lot. Cushenberry is coming in younger, cheaper, and more talented. He'll have some mistakes but he's easily an upgrade in the run game.

    Our RBs should do just fine.

  14. #179
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Las Manzanitas, NM
    Posts
    31,566
    Quote Originally Posted by Rastic View Post
    Yeah.

    Our interior should be able pull guards left or right with the addition of Glasgow who was a top-10 guard last year - a big improvement. Cushenberry's draft analysis suggests he'll be a day-1 starter and an upgrade for run blocking - McGovern had a poor PFF run blocking grade of 64 (though a great pass blocking grade of 82.5). McGovern will likely see more improvement in both categories, but under Munchak he improved a lot. Cushenberry is coming in younger, cheaper, and more talented. He'll have some mistakes but he's easily an upgrade in the run game.

    Our RBs should do just fine.
    Scouting reports on Lloyd suggest he might be able to block a 0 tech in pass protection without needing assistance. If so, that would be a big help when facing an odd-front on a pass play. The benefit of that would be felt along the line both ways.

    As far as the rushing attack is concerned, we'll just need to see how much zone and how much angle Shurmur wants to use. They say he prefers formations with 11 personnel which sounds like Spread most of the time. When Sutton, Fant, Jeudy, Hamler and Gordon/Lindsay are on the field at the same time, I'd be surprised to see more than six in the box, especially if the formation is Bunch, Trips or Trey. That will open the run game.

  15. #180
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    14,365
    Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Scouting reports on Lloyd suggest he might be able to block a 0 tech in pass protection without needing assistance. If so, that would be a big help when facing an odd-front on a pass play. The benefit of that would be felt along the line both ways.
    That jumped out to me. After watching Paradis get handled by bigger 0 techniques for years in pass protection it is the first thing I look at when looking at centers. Cushenberry has really long arms and usually wins by getting hands on players before they get going, and he has a solid anchor. He doesn't necessarily have amazing strength in his hands, but he has good recovery as well when he loses that first contact. In the run game he usually isn't moving bigger guys out of the hole with power, he usually needs some assistance. But he does look to be a good positional blocker in the run game.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •