• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fantaztic7
    Banned User
    • Dec 2015

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    I think it has more to do with drafting Jeudy than Hamlers problems suddenly disappearing.
    Could be the case. I just find it interesting there were more than a few people arguing against Ruggs because he was only a guy with a fast 40 (which is false). Now Hamler is the guy because he’s fast. There are some situations where his speed can help the offense. Just not sure it was the best use of the 2nd round pick, especially after getting Jeudy. He’s on the roster now so hopefully we’ll get high returns for the pick.

Comment

• Fantaztic7
      Banned User
      • Dec 2015

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
      I haven't said anything, positive or negative about Hamler. I wouldn't have used the second pick on him, but I understand why they did. Just like if they drafted Ruggs I will hope for the best.

And I stand by my comments on Ruggs. If he becomes a star, I'll own it. But I believe he'll be a bust.
      If we get football this season we’ll see how the Broncos secondary matches up with Ruggs.

Let’s hope Hamler was worth the pick.

Comment

• Butler By'Note
        Super Moderator
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
        If we get football this season we’ll see how the Broncos secondary matches up with Ruggs.

Let’s hope Hamler was worth the pick.
        My guess is that Ruggs will see lots of press until he proves that he can get off it and make teams pay. For all rookies, it's going to be tough for them to get enough time in to improve on their weaknesses this year.

Comment

• Fantaztic7
          Banned User
          • Dec 2015

Originally posted by johnlimburg
          Always going to happen. Read the thread about double dipping at wide receiver and the back flipping of opinions as soon as it happened. But I didn't realise, I didn't consider ...... fans will be fans.
          I’m sure I’ve done it many times...it really is interesting how it flips.

Overall, seems like a positive draft. I wasn’t a fan of taking a WR with the first pick. Once I felt it was inevitable then I landed on Jeudy. It’s not the worst thing, I just think doubling down was the wrong move given the rest of the roster. At the same time it was good to get Cushenberry in the 3rd round. I had him in the 2nd round so that was a full round off base.

Comment

• Fantaztic7
            Banned User
            • Dec 2015

My guess is that Ruggs will see lots of press until he proves that he can get off it and make teams pay. For all rookies, it's going to be tough for them to get enough time in to improve on their weaknesses this year.
            That’s going to be a factor. I wonder how the changes and virtual training will impact injuries when these players get into camp. I would like to believe they’ll put extra emphasis into conditioning.

Comment

• johnlimburg
              Ring of Famer
              • Sep 2009

It’s so funny how those criticisms of Ruggs somehow don’t apply to Hamler. Why? Because magically those things disappear once a guy is drafted by Elway.
              Always going to happen. Read the thread about double dipping at wide receiver and the back flipping of opinions as soon as it happened. But I didn't realise, I didn't consider, etc. etc. Fans will be fans, and Hamler will be interesting to watch this season. I see a guy who can eat up space quickly and get over the top, but a guy who struggles to track the ball or make plays consistently when catches are contested.

I think Hamler is easily the most questionable pick in the draft in terms of value at the pick. He is special in space, but scheming guys open into space in the NFL isn't as easy as people make it sound. How often do fans see a fast guy on the back end of the roster, and say something like, "we should get the ball in his hands early and let him go to work" ? It is easier said than done, and those fast elusive guys with bad hands usually don't change. Maybe he just needs a tweak or two to improve, but the natural hand-eye coordination that goes into being a great catcher is something which is usually a natural instinct/talent type thing.

Comment

• Butler By'Note
                Super Moderator
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by johnlimburg View Post
                Always going to happen. Read the thread about double dipping at wide receiver and the back flipping of opinions as soon as it happened. But I didn't realise, I didn't consider, etc. etc. Fans will be fans, and Hamler will be interesting to watch this season. I see a guy who can eat up space quickly and get over the top, but a guy who struggles to track the ball or make plays consistently when catches are contested.

I think Hamler is easily the most questionable pick in the draft in terms of value at the pick. He is special in space, but scheming guys open into space in the NFL isn't as easy as people make it sound. How often do fans see a fast guy on the back end of the roster, and say something like, "we should get the ball in his hands early and let him go to work" ? It is easier said than done, and those fast elusive guys with bad hands usually don't change. Maybe he just needs a tweak or two to improve, but the natural hand-eye coordination that goes into being a great catcher is something which is usually a natural instinct/talent type thing.
                Since this has spawned from Fan responding to me directly, I will treat this comment as if directed at me. In the double dip thread I said I would be angry at the waste of resources double dipping in WR, and I still stand by that. I don't like that they spent the first two picks on WR. However there is one mitigating factor for me: I wanted them to take Cushenberry in round 2, so the fact they got him with their second pick of round 3 does make it slightly better. If before the draft someone had told me we'd get Cushenberry and Hamler with picks 46 and 83, I'd have been happy with that, I'd also have assumed it was reversed order of where they were actually picked.

I still don't like using the first two picks on WR, but I hope that it works out.

Comment

• Fantaztic7
                  Banned User
                  • Dec 2015

Since this has spawned from Fan responding to me directly, I will treat this comment as if directed at me. In the double dip thread I said I would be angry at the waste of resources double dipping in WR, and I still stand by that. I don't like that they spent the first two picks on WR. However there is one mitigating factor for me: I wanted them to take Cushenberry in round 2, so the fact they got him with their second pick of round 3 does make it slightly better. If before the draft someone had told me we'd get Cushenberry and Hamler with picks 46 and 83, I'd have been happy with that, I'd also have assumed it was reversed order of where they were actually picked.

I still don't like using the first two picks on WR, but I hope that it works out.
                  Cushenberry in the 3rd helped but it’s about the talent we missed using the 2nd pick on Hamler. We’ll have people going off about not having depth at CB when someone like Bryce Callahan gets injured again, or another player in the secondary. We’ll hear the same complaints about not having a linebacker talented enough to cover TEs. Maybe Strnad will be that guy. But I know we passed several talented players to double down on Hamler. I hope like heck he plays lights out because that was a reach IMO.

Comment

• Fantaztic7
                    Banned User
                    • Dec 2015

Originally posted by johnlimburg View Post

There have been comments about Hamler’s drops being on inaccurate QB play. That’s not true, his drop% was on catchable balls. I remember last year when people were enamored with Spencer in preseason. I have to admit it’s fun to pull for the small speedsters mixing it up with guys twice their size. Then Spencer got his chance in a real NFL game and he fumbled on a screen play. That was it for him.

I’m sure he’ll make some plays and we’ll hear how he was worth the pick. We’ll also hear the complaints about not having the talent at other positions, despite the fact there were some talented guys we passed on with that pick.

Comment

• johnlimburg
                      Ring of Famer
                      • Sep 2009

It wasn't actually, but I understand that reasoning, it makes a lot of sense. I still personally think Cushenberry that high would of been a severe reach. I like the player but I think he was drafted right where he should have been. He is rock solid, but not a top 50 selection. I think a reporter said something along the same lines to Elway and he said he felt it fell as it should have, and that Cushenberry wasn't a target for that second rounder. If he was you would think he would of been picked where Ojemudia was. Do you think if Hamler was a third rounder that would of been good value ?

Comment

• johnlimburg
                        Ring of Famer
                        • Sep 2009

Cushenberry in the 3rd helped but it’s about the talent we missed using the 2nd pick on Hamler. We’ll have people going off about not having depth at CB when someone like Bryce Callahan gets injured again, or another player in the secondary. We’ll hear the same complaints about not having a linebacker talented enough to cover TEs. Maybe Strnad will be that guy. But I know we passed several talented players to double down on Hamler. I hope like heck he plays lights out because that was a reach IMO.

I’m sure he’ll make some plays and we’ll hear how he was worth the pick. We’ll also hear the complaints about not having the talent at other positions, despite the fact there were some talented guys we passed on with that pick.
                        Yeah, opportunity cost, I agree with that. And yeah, every time Hamler makes a play I expect to be ridiculed at how hard I was against it, especially on draft night. I think he offers some uniqueness to the offense, and offers some instant impact. But that doesn't mean he necessarily was a better pick than someone else who was there as well.

Comment

• Al Wilson 4 Mayor
                          team preacher
                          • Mar 2008

I’m eager to see Hamler on punt returns.
                          sigpic
                          Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

• johnlimburg
                            Ring of Famer
                            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
                            Couldn't find any stats on it, but has he had any issues catching punts or kicks ? Will be a good chance to see him with the ball in his hands with open space.

Comment

• FL BRONCO
                              Traveling Mod
                              • Mar 2010

Originally posted by BroncoooJohnson View Post
                              I’m fine with signing a free agent to a lower price tag (which isn’t costing a pick).

If we did trade for Trent Williams there’s a decent we’d be spending $32 million between the four and have just Bolles and Wilkinson healthy... with Simmons also halfway out the door because we wouldn’t have the cash to re-sign him... and go ahead and take away two picks on top of it. (Cush/Agim + one next year).
                              I totally agree with you. I don't think trading for Williams was the answer. Personally I would not have picked Hamler in the second and would rather used our 2nd or third to pick up a OT. Water say goodbye to bridge. I definitely would like to find a FA to throw into the mix at Tackle. I'm just not sure how much we can afford to pay and sign Simmons, and I definitely want to sign Simmons. That was a big reason taking one in the draft would have been preferable. FA tackles seem to cost us a lot and many times they don't work out well.
                              My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

• Fantaztic7
                                Banned User
                                • Dec 2015

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
                                Yes, should be interesting to see if Hamler is better than Spencer (UDFA). Spencer was the 9th best punt returner with 8.0 yards/return. Spencer was the 3rd best kick returner with 29.1 yards/return (of 22 returners with 15+ returns).

Comment

Working...
                                X