Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    Everyone thinks of Castonzo as an elite LT now but before Nelson that oline was always blamed for Luck getting hurt, then they get Nelson and everything changes.

If a QB has a pocket to step up into the edge rush can be effectively negated and if an OT gets beat inside the QB has room to loop around. If your interior gets beat you’re running right into an edge rusher.
    I agree with your points (multiple there), but there is more to the story of that Colts line. Ryan Kelly (C) missed most of 2017 to injuries but played like the 1st round draft pick he was in 2018. In addition to Nelson, they also added Braden Smith at Right Tackle, who was also a 1st round pick at Auburn. They went from essentially one 1st round draft pick on their line in 2017 to 4 1st rounders in 2018. I love watching those guys play as a unit, and yes, seeing Luck with a clean pocket to have stepped up to thrown in last year would have been special. I hope our interior line gives Lock that.

Draft grades from NFL.com....they seem to agree with Elway “crushing it”

Draft picks: Alabama WR Jerry Jeudy (No. 15 overall), Penn State WR KJ Hamler (No. 46), Iowa CB Michael Ojemudia (No. 77), LSU C Lloyd Cushenberry (No. 83), Arkansas DT McTelvin Agim (No. 95), Missouri TE Albert Okwuegbunam (No. 118), Wake Forest LB Justin Strnad (No. 178), Fresno State OG Netane Muti (No. 181), Florida WR Tyrie Cleveland (No. 252), North Dakota State LB Derrek Tuszka (No. 254)
    Day 1 grade: A
    Day 2 grade: A
    Day 3 grade: A-
    Overall grade: A
    Draft analysis: I figured the Broncos would hammer the receiver position -- getting Jeudy and Hamler will cause headaches for opposing defense. The team then found help at center, cornerback and the defensive line on Day 2. The Broncos must have figured Okwuegbunam was too good of an athlete to ignore in the fourth round, and it's tough to argue with them, despite his inconsistency on the field. Strnad would have been picked in the top 120 overall if not for an injury that cost him the majority of his senior season. Muti plays like a second-rounder but injuries have kept him to a handful of games in recent years -- he was a very worthwhile pick in the sixth round. Tuszka was a value edge rusher pick late in the seventh round.
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich

I think Fangio helped out a bit

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jack View Post
    I think Fangio helped out a bit
    I am thinking all the coaches helped out.

Trust in the opinions from both sides of the ball was needed. All the compromises that were made to allow this draft had to have been difficult to manage.

I really like the Justin Strnad pick the more I watch his highlights. I have not started looking at the bad yet. I just wanted to see the potential. He seems to be all over the field and he follows the ball really well.

I also like the size of the OT we added in UDFA. Hunter Watts. Man is 6'8" 320lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by FR Tim View Post

Trust in the opinions from both sides of the ball was needed. All the compromises that were made to allow this draft had to have been difficult to manage.
    For sure, there are a lot of talented NFL people on the staff, and they all did a nice job.
    Last edited by Capt. Jack; 04-26-2020 at 07:41 AM.

This might be the most excited I've ever been with the last picks of our draft.

1. Muti if healthy and with some Munchak love could become one of the fiercest guards in all football.
    2. Justin Strnad looks like he has everything to be a Todd Davis replacement in a year
    3. Cleveland - meh- don't know how he'll make our team, but good depth on practice squad
    4. Tuszka is a guy I'm really shaking my head on how every team passed him up. His motor, athleticism and strength for his size is unreal. I think he fits a 3/4 linebacker perfectly.

Usually I get excited (if at all) on one late rounder, but 3 out of our last 4 picks is crazy. The top half of the draft was pure assault on the rest of the league, but this bottom half could turn this draft into one of our best ever.

Yes, Elway Crushed It!
    Last edited by MarshallMoss; 04-26-2020 at 08:35 AM.
    "He's going to be the #1 receiver, and is going to be a star in this league for a long time" Todd Mcshay on Jerry Jeudy

This draft gets at A from me for three reasons.

1- Jeudy at 15, no trade up required. IMO, top 5-6 talent
    2- Cushenberry in 3. Potential to be starting pivot for many years
    3- Muti in 6. The injuries are a HUGE risk but I think he is better than Cushenberry, when healthy. If he turns the corner on the injuries he could be a dominant NFL guard. Great risk reward pick

We could have done nothing else and I would be happy with this draft and feel that Elway nailed it.

Hamler was a surprise to me, but he would not have been there in round 3. The videos with his clocked MPH can’t be ignored. He is lightning. Would I have preferred Cleveland? Yes, but I like this pick and am excited to watch our offense develop over the next couple of years.

The Ojemudia pick was a reach. I think he was a fifth round prospect. We should have waited and taken him in round 4. Moving up a small amount to get Jones would have been better or taking Niang or Bartch. Even if we are happy with our tackles get a young development guy would have been good. Even as insurance, I think it would have been smart.

The TE was a good value but not sure how he fits. Still can’t complain with the athleticism at that spot. Decent pick IMO. Still would have preferred the CB taken here.

Lastly, I think many teams will regret not taking Bryce Hall. I would have really liked to pick him up. Even if it came as a double up.

Although looks like we picked up Bassey this morning. I think he might end up sticking

Quote Originally Posted by FR Tim View Post

Yeah, surely Shurmur gave input on choices for the offense he wants to install.
    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Spice 1 View Post
    Misspelling names in thread titles is a requisite at this point.

Hamler was a great receiver to get at where we got him. I would've gone somewhere else, but it was a good value pick, and I think he will make an impact. People are really high on Ojemudia. Lot of faith in the system, and getting good fits. I just know that we don't have a clear #1 caliber corner on this defense right now. If Ojemudia becomes that guy, then yes, Elway certainly crushed it. If he or someone else is not, I defer to the negative takes on Harris last season. As of right now, we don't have that. I saw Bouye in Jacksonville after they traded Ramsey. Maybe he IS a better fit for Vic, and does better in Denver. We'll see. Got a poor man's Isaiah Simmons type of player at linebacker. I do have a lot of faith in Fangio's ability to properly use a player like that. Far more than I did with VJ. God speed, Isaiah.

Another requirement for Elway to crush it in the draft is dependent on how Bolles does as well. He may have. I know one thing. If all else fails, we got Jeudy, who I expect to be very good in the NFL. The chances of this draft being a bust are slim. I probably speak for everyone when I say this is easily the most excited I've been since '15. Maybe more, given the way '14 ended.
    I could see where Watching Schurmurs offense in Minnesota during the 2017 season would get anyone excited but seeing the Giants 2019 offense brings one back down to earth.

I’m sure this offense will be very good, I’m just hoping Schurmur does a few things differently in 2020 than 2019!

Quote Originally Posted by Chillez View Post
    This was stellar offensive draft for sure still have a few question marks on the o-line however. I think we could’ve added some really good players there and more depth.
    Lloyd Cushenberry is a steal where Denver got him. There were rumors that the team wanted Matt Hennessy but he’s more of a zone guy which wouldn’t make sense in this offense. Cushenberry is a typical power guy, just what we need.

Nante Muti could be the best interior linemen coming out of this draft even over Becton if he is healthy. If not, then we’ll have another Jake Butt on the team.

The only thing stopping him is inability to stay healthy and according to trainer Steve Antonopoulos, ”a torn acl should come back stronger” but the Liz franc could be a lingering issue.

Hunter Watts, seems a bit scrawny but time will only tel with him. We’ll have to wait and see.
    Last edited by Sam_Z; 04-26-2020 at 08:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    I could see where Watching Schurmurs offense in Minnesota during the 2017 season would get anyone excited but seeing the Giants 2019 offense brings one back down to earth.

I’m sure this offense will be very good, I’m just hoping Schurmur does a few things differently in 2020 than 2019!
    He had a rookie qb and not a lot of weapons n offense. It shouldn’t be surprising that their offense was stagnant. Stop Barkley and you stop the Giants.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    LTs are the highest paid because of the antiquated notion that defences will line up their best pass rusher on the QBs blind side. But teams are working so hard to get multiple pass rushers that you often see good pass rushers on the offensive right. Or teams will move them around. A good RT is just as valuable as a good LT.

As for Larmey Tunsil, that's because he plays for the worst GM in the league. The GM was wrong in trading two first round picks for him, and then doubled down by overpaying him significantly. To put it in perspective, PFF graded Tunsil out lower than Bolles. If that's the new $22 million lineman, then actual good players will be breaking $30 million.
    "Antiquated" means outdated and obsolete. Exploiting the area where the QB can't see easily will never be outdated, and it's not a novel concept to sandwich him from the other side either. Most veteran LT's are paid slightly more than RT's currently, and some are also the same-- the second highest paid tackles in both categories are each making $16.5M. LT career earnings have been substantially higher than RT.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings...ackle/veteran/

https://overthecap.com/career-earnings/left-tackle/

Anyway, this is a tangent of a tangent, back to Elway "crushing it".
    Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

My take overall is we added weapons, but the weaknesses of last year's team largely remain. We could wind up 8-8 this season despite the better weapons due to Oline struggles and trouble getting off the field on D (interior pass rush, ILB, and CB are still weaknesses). I'm not sold Bolles and James will deliver. Cushenberry is a good add, but could have problems with quick/mobile rushers. If he does, or we lose a lineman to injury, the weapons won't matter much.

Jeudy is the star of this draft, just by virtue of being WR1 and getting him at 15. BPA at 15, but we probably could have gotten 2 starters by trading down.

Hamler's speed is seductive, and if he can catch and hang onto the ball, he will be a great weapon. We all want the next Tyreek Hill, but speed guys his size more often end up the next Dionte Spencer or Trindon Holliday. High upside, but floor is drafting another similar player next year. I would have preferred an impact starter in the trenches, CB, or ILB with this pick.

Cushenberry is the other sure starter besides Jeudy. Best case, he's a Tom Nalen anchoring the line for years to come. Worst case is lateral mobility limitations make him the weak link in the interior. Good pick at this spot, but again, would have preferred we got Ruiz earlier.

As has been the case for a lot of Elway's drafts, we got some intriguing prospects later in the draft. Hopefully one or more turn out to be gems, which would make this a great draft.

Like mentioned on here if Muti stays healthy he is better than Cush (and very happy we got Cush). Totally the kind of risk you wanna take in the later rounds. If they connect with Muti its a freaking grand slam