Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Overall, I like the draft, but I do think we should have targeted an OT.

I like Jeudy's versatility better than Ruggs, and so did Elway. I don't believe Ruggs was higher than Jeudy on his board. The Hamler pick is because we needed more quality depth at the WR position, not because we didn't get Ruggs.

Quote Originally Posted by sra84 View Post

I like Jeudy's versatility better than Ruggs, and so did Elway. I don't believe Ruggs was higher than Jeudy on his board. The Hamler pick is because we needed more quality depth at the WR position, not because we didn't get Ruggs.
    Apparently the order was Jeudy, Lamb, and Ruggs, and then Jefferson if we couldn't trade down. Both Hamler and Jeudy are starters. Hamilton and Patrick really pale in comparison to what those two can offer our offense.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by sra84 View Post

Disagree....I think Hamler was because he didn't get Ruggs. I do think Elway wanted Ruggs in the first and Shenoult { sp ? } in the second.

We went different way that I wanted but I completely understand why we picked who we did and understand the potential for value these picks give the team.

At this point grading what we can grade I say the Broncos deserve an A
    A good plan put into motion today is better than the ideal plan that is always coming sometime in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAsianPA View Post
    Apparently the order was Jeudy, Lamb, and Ruggs, and then Jefferson if we couldn't trade down. Both Hamler and Jeudy are starters. Hamilton and Patrick really pale in comparison to what those two can offer our offense.
    Agreed

Think we need to get out of the bottom in scoring. Elway and his staff are tired of living in the cellar of scoring in the NFL so now that we got our QB we got talent to add to the offense in hopes of scoring more points.

We had people who could maybe get the job done around a few highly talented players on offense. The goal seemed to be to fill the offense with explosive talent so that we could keep up with the other high powered offenses in the NFL...namely the Chiefs.

If we can score points than we should put our elite pass rushers in lots of opportunities to feed.
    A good plan put into motion today is better than the ideal plan that is always coming sometime in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Hadez View Post
    Agreed

Think we need to get out of the bottom in scoring. Elway and his staff are tired of living in the cellar of scoring in the NFL so now that we got our QB we got talent to add to the offense in hopes of scoring more points.

We had people who could maybe get the job done around a few highly talented players on offense. The goal seemed to be to fill the offense with explosive talent so that we could keep up with the other high powered offenses in the NFL...namely the Chiefs.

If we can score points than we should put our elite pass rushers in lots of opportunities to feed.
    It’s gonna be hard to get all those guys the ball, which I suppose is a good problem to have.

I really think we need to get this going....

Elway ORANGE CRUSHED it!

It can go further.

We kick a team, you just got ORANGE CRUSHED!!

Quote Originally Posted by skeeter01 View Post
    Disagree....I think Hamler was because he didn't get Ruggs. I do think Elway wanted Ruggs in the first and Shenoult { sp ? } in the second.
    If that was the case, he would have traded down and gather more second and/or third round picks rather than settle for Jeudy in a receiver rich draft and use it to at least get Shenault early in the second? Everything about this draft was not only about talent and upside, but fit.

Jeudy was the guy. He's a more polished route runner. He can play on the boundary but also in the slot. Hamler is a burner. He was the burner Elway wanted to compliment Sutton and Jeudy. Sutton, Jeudy, and Hamler offer a variety of skill sets. Hamler was a target in the draft. There were plenty of speedy receivers to be had later if that's all he wanted. WR was our biggest glaring weakness and he made it a priority to address it first and foremost.
    Last edited by sra84; 04-26-2020 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    I really do like our draft (and we are still not done finding prospects).. For the most part it was excellent. The only thing I was unclear about had to do with not drafting any OTs when I thought we might at least need some security. And going back to back WRs with 1-2 was confusing to me at first, but the objective (as I soon realized) was definitely to create much needed O - 28th in the league last year in total O and scoring, AND maybe even more important, to let our young QB know that he is "the guy" and that he deserves all the trust/respect we can give him. And based on that, I was quite proud of Elway.

We have a pretty darn good D, and with the return of Chubb, and with the additions we made, and with less time on the field thanks to an improved O, this could be a fabulous balance of quality O and quality D.

I expect a playoff berth....and I foresee a very bright future!
    That's how I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by L.M. View Post
    I'm not into premature celebrations and comparisons, going into ecstatic convulsions over a pick, counting chickens before they hatch, nor grading this draft until I see how these players pan out.
    So how would you grade it?

Quote Originally Posted by cirehawk View Post
    So how would you grade it?
    I like all the players we picked and I am excited, but that does not mean I like the picks. I find it hard to grade just the draft without looking at FA moves too. Looking at both I give it at best a b- or c+. IMO we still have a huge issue at both Offensive tackle spots. We don't know if James will actually play a full game the whole season and every year I keep hearing Bolles improved at the end of the year and has made it over the hump just to be thoroughly disappointed in his play the following year. The back up plan for either/both is Wilkinson, I love his attitude, but was not thrilled with his play last year. The Elephant in the room coming into the offseason was both tackle positions and imo, nothing has changed. I am very disappointed with that. I love what we did with the interior Oline, I am thrilled with it. I love that we are surrounding Drew Lock with weapons and I can't wait to see this offense hit its stride. I truly think it will be impressive. But I can't get past the fact we did not address the biggest issue on offense which has continued year after year.
    Last edited by FL BRONCO; 04-26-2020 at 08:56 PM.
    My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Quote Originally Posted by FL BRONCO View Post
    I like all the players we picked and I am excited, but that does not mean I like the picks. I find it hard to grade just the draft without looking at FA moves too. Looking at both I give it at best a b- or c+. IMO we still have a huge issue at both Offensive tackle spots. We don't know if James will actually play a full game the whole season and every year I keep hearing Bolles improved at the end of the year and has made it over the hump just to be thoroughly disappointed in his play the following year. The back up plan for either/both is Wilkinson, I love his attitude, but was not thrilled with his play last year. The Elephant in the room coming into the offseason was both tackle positions and imo, nothing has changed. I am very disappointed with that. I love what we did with the interior Oline, I am thrilled with it. I love that we are surrounding Drew Lock with weapons and I can't wait to see this offense hit its stride. I truly think it will be impressive. But I can't get past the fact we did not address the biggest issue on offense which has continued year after year.
    I think this is the one consistent "disappointment" if you will, with our offseason. I refer to simple polls I posted a ways back, relative to what we needed to improve upon, and which one we should draft with our #1 pick, and OT was at the top. Now, simple polls with small sample sizes are not valid...but they did have a similar ring to them.

And regardless of not choosing one in the first round, I was really hoping in 2, or 3, or even later? But not one selection and not one free agent??

So yes, perplexed. I just don't see us as having either left or right in really good hands, yet we made moves in the interior Oline, and selected 4 receivers (incl. one TE)?

Quote Originally Posted by fraguela09 View Post
    We should’ve dealt for Trent Williams. 2nd round WR and 4th round TE?

Hamler vs TW?

I still believe Trent Williams would have meant more for Drew Lock’s development, and have been the more impactful player next 3 years for this team.... plus, with all the cheap, young talent on offense.... we could’ve afforded giving the LT a big contract....

I just feel like we took the next Cory Latimore (sp?) or Langley or Hamilton.... Just feels like a Monte Ball waste of a pick.

That pick could’ve been used for a LT, trade up for Murray or Queen, even JK Dobbins!

12 drops in 70 targets is more than a concentration problem. And with his small stature.... I just feel trams are built inside out... raise your hand if you wouldn’t run to swap Hamler for Trent Williams!

If you wanted Hamler then why not move up for Wirfs? I bet a dollar either Jeudy or Hamler will disappoint. Impossible that both are hits.

Aside from that.... great draft.
    1. $12.5 million vs. a combined $1 million salary, $10 million+ is not immaterial.

2. Williams has had injuries throughout the past five seasons. Committing that much money to him when we just came off signing James to a huge deal would be irresponsible.

While I'm a bit surprised we didn't draft an OT, I think it ultimately came down to a discussion between Elway, Fangio and Munchak. I'm guessing that they'd rather stick with what they got and have an open competition.
    Last edited by sra84; 04-27-2020 at 04:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoooJohnson View Post
    1. $12.5 million vs. a combined $1 million salary, $10 million+ is not immaterial.

2. Williams has had injuries throughout the past five seasons. Committing that much money to him when we just came off signing James to a huge deal would be irresponsible.

See I think counting on James/Bolles/Wilkinson to be there consistently and protect our qb is very irresponsible imo.
    My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter