Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Offensive Line

Offensive Line

We did not address the tackle position in the draft, however, did address the center position bringing in Cushenberry who I believe can hold that position down for many years.

Also brought in who some believe to be the top interior lineman in all the draft (and after watching his film I believe it) Natane Muti.

Muti is a Munchak kind of guy reminds me of those Steeler offensive lineman heís had for years big strong and playing through the whistle. Heís the Will Hernandez of this draft class who was picked by the Giants in the 2nd round in 2018. Muti would have been a first-second round pick if it wasnít for freak season ending injuries the past couple years (reports are that those injuries are behind him now and should not have any issues going forward).

With those being said.. how will our offensive line look this year? We saw many times last year where a hold would singlehandedly kill a big play, or a sack because of horrible technique.

Elway has stated that the Left Tackle position will be an open competition, but with all of the momentum of this possibly becoming a great offense with everything pointing in the right direction, a liability at Left Tackle could put a damper on the progress the offense makes. Would the coaching staff be willing to risk a year of Drew Lockís development? A year where every spot on offense is now set and ready to roll except the most important position other than the QB? Maybe it will be better, maybe the end of last year isnít a fluke and Bolles plays well carrying over the momentum and growing into a decent starter this year, or maybe he will go back to old habits. Is that the risk weíll take? Here are some possible solutions...

Out of house solution.

Sign Jason Peters to a one year deal to start for the season. Yes heís up there in age, but old man Peters is still a solid player on the left side of the line, and worst case scenario Bolles would be his backup/ swing tackle would have to come in if Peters were to go down.

In house solution.

When I coach offensive line I always look at it as positionless football. You find the 5 best guys you have get them out there and them do work. In this case, the 5 best guys are (I know itís unsure yet) Risner, Cushenberry, James, Glasgow, and Muti.

RT would be Risner he can play there and be a good RT in this league (watch the film against Montez Sweat). RG would be Glasgow. C Cushenberry. LG Muti. LT James (this is the question mark but canít be any worse than what weíve seen). Then Bolles would be the swing tackle and Wilkinson playing guard or emergency tackle.

What do you guys think of what to do with the offensive line going into the season? Whatever we do I believe in Munchak and what he puts together.

As was debated even prior to FA, is we have two starting OTs. If we want to upgrade the position it was going to require a 1st round pick and the draft just did not fall that way. I think we will bring in a vet to add to the competition, but 2021 may be where we go LT if Bolles does not show consistency (he does have spurts of excellence). Only so many roster spots. I think we killed it for the interior OL through FA and the draft, Muti an absolute steal if he can stay healthy. Been a long time since we have been this deep at IOL and have felxabilty with Dalton able to play RT in a pinch.

2021 looks to be a very deep LT draft btw.
    Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Muti isnít starting anytime soon. The highlight film is impressive, snap to snap leaves a lot to be desired, he needs a lot of coaching.

Jason Peters wouldn't be a bad signing. There's still Cordy Glenn and Kelvin Beachum left out there. Elway's comments about wanting to get better at the tackle position is without a doubt referencing Garett Bolles. The battle between him and Wilkinson is silly when you can sign either of the two and be done with it.
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Some things to consider on the in-house approach:
    ~ to my knowledge, James hasn't played on the left;
    ~ Muti has been injured often and, consequently has played 19 games in four years. He has had two Achilles injuries and a Lisfranc. Due to the COVID-19 crisis, he probably
    hasn't been thoroughly checked by team doctors yet. Availability may be an issue this year at least;
    ~ If Muti is not available, Wilkinson, Schlottmann and Morris would be possible inside depth;
    ~ Munchak knows best if any of the other Tackles could be roster candidates (i.e., Rodgers, Bailey, Anderson, Armstrong), but he isn't sharing that with the public;
    ~ Munchak won't know who the five are until the pads and hats go on and the hitting begins;
    ~ If the T position was in as much of a crisis as it seems to us, something more would probably have been done to address it; which may mean Munchak thinks the situation is
    more manageable than it seems to us.

There may be some plan being developed to bring in a veteran FA, but who that might be is unknown as is whether such would be an adequate replacement at LT or be a Swing Tackle.

It may be that it wasn't possible to address the issue this year, and the coaching staff will try to nurse the situation through until next year's draft.

Munchak knows what he's doing. He will start the best five shuffled to their best spots. If something happens to one of them, he'll bring in number six and reshuffle, if necessary.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

we may be sucessful still. but i fully expect us to regret not tacking an OT. and to be looking for next year draft. we may be in the position to try to trade up for Penei Sewelll though and i would totally support that.

oakland raders gm
    latavis murray trade bait

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Some things to consider on the in-house approach:
    ~ to my knowledge, James hasn't played on the left;
    ~ Muti has been injured often and, consequently has played 19 games in four years. He has had two Achilles injuries and a Lisfranc. Due to the COVID-19 crisis, he probably
    hasn't been thoroughly checked by team doctors yet. Availability may be an issue this year at least;
    ~ If Muti is not available, Wilkinson, Schlottmann and Morris would be possible inside depth;
    ~ Munchak knows best if any of the other Tackles could be roster candidates (i.e., Rodgers, Bailey, Anderson, Armstrong), but he isn't sharing that with the public;
    ~ Munchak won't know who the five are until the pads and hats go on and the hitting begins;
    ~ If the T position was in as much of a crisis as it seems to us, something more would probably have been done to address it; which may mean Munchak thinks the situation is
    more manageable than it seems to us.

There may be some plan being developed to bring in a veteran FA, but who that might be is unknown as is whether such would be an adequate replacement at LT or be a Swing Tackle.

It may be that it wasn't possible to address the issue this year, and the coaching staff will try to nurse the situation through until next year's draft.

Munchak knows what he's doing. He will start the best five shuffled to their best spots. If something happens to one of them, he'll bring in number six and reshuffle, if necessary.
    Totally Agree. One thing to point out is that in the Last 5 games the O-Line had actually started to improve. I think at the the end of the year The O-Line improved from Like 30th Ranked to 19th Ranked with all credit due to coach Mike Munchak. I say it usually takes 3 years for Coach M to build his O-Line to his standards and his Standards are always Top Notch like the Best in the NFL and to think that we are just starting to enter year 2 the sky is the limit for Coach M. I expect to see even a better O-Line with our FA addition of Glasgow plus this Draft I think that Denver is Trending Up with the OLine. Plus it helps when you have a Killer New QB Who can Move around the pocket and throw Dimes all Day.

Can Risner play left tackle?
    I know he played Right tackle in college.
    I think Muti is a guy we stash for a year, and we go with Risner at LG, but next season we most likely move on from Bolles. If James has a good year and doesnít tear his knee up on a baseball infield, we will need to add a left tackle.

2021 projected line:
    LT Risner
    LG Muti
    C Cushenberry
    RG Glasgow
    RT James

*If James has another injury plague year we probably load up on tackles in the draft like we did receivers this year.

I donít like the idea of taking a pro bowl caliber guard and then moving him to OT.

In my mind, the o-line is still shaky, but has very good potential.

Our G positions are very solid, IMO. Risner and Glasgow are both excellent starters and we have a little depth on the interior line.

Both T positions are big question marks IMO. I think the knocks on both of our starters are well documented. Thereís a decent chance they both have good seasons, but thereís legit concern.

Iím happy they drafted Cushenberry. I think he has a good chance of being a solid starter. Bottom line is heís a rookie, so thereís going to be ups and downs.

All in all, I think the line is probably better than last year, especially in the middle. I personally would have liked to see another T drafted, but oh well. Depth is also a little better IMO.

On paper, it looks like steps have been taken to improve the line. We shall see how it pans out. I am hopeful and if our Ts hold up, it could actually be a decent line.

Hope springs eternal this time of year.

And don't forget a lot of teams that drafted top tackles may move on as we get to camp. While Petes is a Pro Bowler who could mentor younger players he's old, hurt all the time & expensive which is why he is still out there. 10 complete games per year over the last three seasons. i would rather wait for camp cuts.
    Bronco Bob

There are only so many picks and so much cap that can be used for the oline. Compromises are expected as they fill in other holes and quality depth at other roster spots. Likely a tough call but they made it. Now I'm interested to see what they do by the start of the season. A lot could change by then.

Most of us are deferring to Munchak's expertise as a oline coach, as we should. He sees the players in practice, he scrutinizes the tape and knows them as people. He can get in their heads a bit more then we can. I'm guessing he was asked for input before and during the draft. So either he has more confidence in the current situation or Elway ignored him. I'm guessing Munchak's opinion of the current competency is different then most of ours.

There are still options that can fix this oline group depending on how Munchak views the weaknesses. As has been pointed out, they can re-shuffle, sign a starting quality OT or a competent backup for insurance. Which one or combo of them will be interesting to see. As of today we still have little clue as to what they have in mind.

Most important in the options is going to be health. Last year was brutal. The depth was tested and it was lacking. They stay healthy this year and it changes the outcomes significantly IMO. Mainly James. If he can play to his expectations it would be huge. Any type of consistency from that RT position changes a lot.

Muti is a wild card. Lets not overlook the impressive and highly entertaining video most of us have seen of Muti was from his 2017 season. He is two Achilles injuries from that dominance. If he can be healthy enough to earn a roster spot and be game time depth I would be thrilled. My guess is he is still a year of rehab away from being fully recovered from such devastating injuries and truly ready to play week in and week out. JMO.

Bolles is another unknown. Can he be relied upon to be the improved player going down the stretch or returning to the mistake prone player from the first half of the season. Can only hope he is in his backyard or basement working on the drills to improve. Repetition of doing it "right " by Munchak's standards.

The draft answered some questions (Cushenbery) but left several still cloudy. IMO a vet OT will be added, just a matter of quality and cost. Starter or competent swing for depth. JMO but as it stands today I would prefer they rely on the starters and add a versatile vet like C. Erving. Not a great player but has experience across the line. Cheaper then trying to find a starter quality OT. I am not liking the options out there currently. Overpaying for marginal gains IMO. Perhaps waiting for camp cuts will have better options..

As far as Bolles is concerned, he needs to know there are better ways to hold. Maybe it's time for Munchak to call Conrad Dobler in as a consultant.

OT is a concern IMO because we have 2 guys talented enough to start with one of them making $100k per snap played last year (statement made for dramatic effect and not verifiable accuracy).
    Could this be why we have loaded up on TEís and WRís? Assist with protection on the edge and/or at least one option on every down that will be open in 2 seconds?

Woody Paige thinks we will sign a free agent soon for the LT position. I'd be relieved if they did this considering how that would complete the offense.

Superbowl 50 Champions!