Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Offensive Line

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Managing the cap will dictate what happens. One, decent, experienced guy could make a huge difference in the season's outcome. Fingers crossed.
    My gut tells me we made the Albert O TE pick so we could release Heuerman and free up his 4 mil, or whatever it is, which I assume will be to add OT depth/competition.
    All it takes to win is doing whatever it takes to win: COMMITMENT

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    I don't know about first round. He doesn't have that great of movement skills, which can be overlooked, but only to a certain point. He can play in a phone booth, and if he gets hands on you it's pretty much over. But a guy like Becton who is also really large and strong was a first rounder in the teens, but his skill set is much more advanced. I like Muti a lot, but I think with his limitations his ceiling if healthy would of been high 3rd round, which still is a steal for us.
    I think we can disagree his skill set is perfect for a nfl right now

Quote Originally Posted by Letswinplz77 View Post
    My gut tells me we made the Albert O TE pick so we could release Heuerman and free up his 4 mil, or whatever it is, which I assume will be to add OT depth/competition.
    I think his 3.875 cap savings is just part of it.
    Butt comes with a 735k savings
    Fumagalli comes with a 604k savings

Some of that money is already going to Vannett and his 2.1 mil cap.

The TEs looked better with Lock tossing the ball around we just have had injury issues for years at TE so a purge at the position is understandable.
    A good plan put into motion today is better than the ideal plan that is always coming sometime in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    I think we can disagree his skill set is perfect for a nfl right now
    I agree 100%, he is one of the picks I am most excited about. I just think his limitations in space would of limited him to the high 3rd round if healthy. We still got a steal either way though, but I don't think he is a first round talent per say.

I like the idea of somehow only having Glasgow for a year and getting rid of him if his contract allows. It would be ideal to have 3 rookie contracts along the offensive line with a healthy James going into next off season when we go and hopefully find a great left tackle, making it 4 rookie contracts in that group.

Quote Originally Posted by Hadez View Post
    The TEs looked better with Lock tossing the ball around we just have had injury issues for years at TE so a purge at the position is understandable.
    I don't think it is an issue with Lock, and with Shurmur and his track record of getting the group involved it wont look like it did, but with Lock actually playing outside of the one big game Fant had, the tight-end group as a whole were extremely unproductive. I wrote the per game averages in another thread when Lock was playing, but the numbers were not in any way significant at all, and did not increase with Lock playing.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    I don't think it is an issue with Lock, and with Shurmur and his track record of getting the group involved it wont look like it did, but with Lock actually playing outside of the one big game Fant had, the tight-end group as a whole were extremely unproductive. I wrote the per game averages in another thread when Lock was playing, but the numbers were not in any way significant at all, and did not increase with Lock playing.
    I am interested in the numbers you found. Here is what I found

2019 TEs (Fant, Heuerman, Fumagalli, Beck)

2019 Receptions per game avg
    All season - 4.3
    11 games without Lock - 3.81
    5 games with Lock - 5.4

2019 Yards per game avg
    All Season - 50.25
    11 games without Lock - 42.73
    5 games with Lock - 60.2

2019 TDs per game avg
    All season - 0.375
    11 games without Lock - 0.273
    5 games with Lock - 0.6

I put this together in 15 min break at work. Did not 2nd check data so feel free to check it

edit - in my effort to get this done in 15 min I forgot that Beck played at FB. Not interesting in trying to find out what position his stats came from so I am removing his stats from the numbers. Will be done in 5 min

2019 TEs (Fant, Heuerman, Fumagalli) - Beck Removed

All season - 3.75
    11 games without Lock - 3.72
    5 games with Lock - 3.8

2019 Yards per game avg
    All Season - 44.62
    11 games without Lock - 43.18
    5 games with Lock - 47.8

2019 TDs per game avg
    All season - 0.312
    11 games without Lock - 0.272
    5 games with Lock - 0.4

The deltas are not as big when Beck is removed. They went from a change of +32%-120% with Beck to a change of +2%-47% without Beck
    Last edited by Hadez; 04-29-2020 at 11:19 AM.
    A good plan put into motion today is better than the ideal plan that is always coming sometime in the future.

Denver interior OT looks really good the LT & RT positions is what i am a little worried about.

So is Jason Peters affordable for 1 season?

Pending Lock's progress, I seriously believe we make the playoffs this season. So why not go for it to some degree? If affordable.

I may be in the minority but I am not as down on the OTs as most.

When James is healthy he is a good RT. Concern is always his health. With the season too last year he should be rehabbed and ready to go. Odd statistic for him is his games played. Since joining the league 16, 7, 16 , 8, 15, 3, ??? Seems he is due a full season this year.

With Bolles I am actually excited to see if his improvements at the end of last season were an anomaly or him finally getting better and improving. His issue has never been physical, it has been mental. Can he finally get his head on right with Munchak and Risner in his ear?

If both these guys can have solid seasons..... Not asking for All Pro or 16 games, just good OT play for the majority of the games. Ill remain optimistic but they both have something to prove.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    So is Jason Peters affordable for 1 season?

Pending Lock's progress, I seriously believe we make the playoffs this season. So why not go for it to some degree? If affordable.
    Missed 12 games the last 3 seasons, averaged 64% of the snaps over the last 3 years... started in 13 games 2019. He is 38. His performance the last 3 seasons - PFR sourced - have been about as good/bad as Bolles, partly affected by missing games.
    At his age it might be iffy to expect him to play better than Bolles? He was flagged 10 times in 2019 - only 1 holding call and 6 false starts.
    He did accept $6M for last season at PHI. Considering that, I think he would likely play for that again, maybe a million less?

The Broncos do have 17.7M of cap space according to Spotrac; that does include the draft pool BUT its the 51 highest salaries that matter anyway. So actually 7 of the rookies salaries actually don't make any difference since they are ~= to the seven players they are likely to replace in the top 51. The 3 highest drafted will amount to ~5M so that would leave ~12.5M of cap space - I could be wrong by some?? So there is enough cap space to do it, IMO.
    If they get Simmons signed to a contract there is potential to save a little more there too - I am thinking maybe 3-4M.
    I wouldn't do it because of his age (38) and he hasn't actually played all that great the last 3 seasons. Also could have injury issues.

Quote Originally Posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
    Missed 12 games the last 3 seasons, averaged 64% of the snaps over the last 3 years... started in 13 games 2019. He is 38. His performance the last 3 seasons - PFR sourced - have been about as good/bad as Bolles, partly affected by missing games.
    At his age it might be iffy to expect him to play better than Bolles? He was flagged 10 times in 2019 - only 1 holding call and 6 false starts.
    He did accept $6M for last season at PHI. Considering that, I think he would likely play for that again, maybe a million less?

The Broncos do have 17.7M of cap space according to Spotrac; that does include the draft pool BUT its the 51 highest salaries that matter anyway. So actually 7 of the rookies salaries actually don't make any difference since they are ~= to the seven players they are likely to replace in the top 51. The 3 highest drafted will amount to ~5M so that would leave ~12.5M of cap space - I could be wrong by some?? So there is enough cap space to do it, IMO.
    If they get Simmons signed to a contract there is potential to save a little more there too - I am thinking maybe 3-4M.
    I wouldn't do it because of his age (38) and he hasn't actually played all that great the last 3 seasons. Also could have injury issues.
    You make a pretty good case.

Just wondering. If we could get him for a reasonable price, he might be a surprising influence. And if Bolles does not step it up, we flat out move on next year in the draft.

Looking for answers. I know Lock performed quite well with the Oline, and we strengthened the interior, but I am not convinced we have the OT situation figured out. Maybe another signing?

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    You make a pretty good case.

Just wondering. If we could get him for a reasonable price, he might be a surprising influence. And if Bolles does not step it up, we flat out move on next year in the draft.

Looking for answers. I know Lock performed quite well with the Oline, and we strengthened the interior, but I am not convinced we have the OT situation figured out. Maybe another signing?
    He might have value there.

Quote Originally Posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
    He might have value there.
    Just looking for answers. I was hoping for a player here and there on D, but we might be in really good shape. This OT thing just keeps biting at my butt!!

Too bad we couldn't slide him in until he gets hurt , (a soft hurt) and see how things go!

That wasn't nice of me!!

I like the idea of bringing in Jason Peters. His experience would be a huge asset. At 38 years of age he is only only a short term upgrade, and could be an injury concern at this point in his career.

He allowed 3 sacks and had 10 penalties enforced in 13 games.

Big question is home much does he want and for how long.
    Last edited by 58Miller; 04-29-2020 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hadez View Post
    I am interested in the numbers you found. Here is what I found

2019 TEs (Fant, Heuerman, Fumagalli, Beck)

All season - 4.3
    11 games without Lock - 3.81
    5 games with Lock - 5.4

2019 Yards per game avg
    All Season - 50.25
    11 games without Lock - 42.73
    5 games with Lock - 60.2

2019 TDs per game avg
    All season - 0.375
    11 games without Lock - 0.273
    5 games with Lock - 0.6

I put this together in 15 min break at work. Did not 2nd check data so feel free to check it

edit - in my effort to get this done in 15 min I forgot that Beck played at FB. Not interesting in trying to find out what position his stats came from so I am removing his stats from the numbers. Will be done in 5 min

2019 TEs (Fant, Heuerman, Fumagalli) - Beck Removed

All season - 3.75
    11 games without Lock - 3.72
    5 games with Lock - 3.8

2019 Yards per game avg
    All Season - 44.62
    11 games without Lock - 43.18
    5 games with Lock - 47.8

2019 TDs per game avg
    All season - 0.312
    11 games without Lock - 0.272
    5 games with Lock - 0.4

The deltas are not as big when Beck is removed. They went from a change of +32%-120% with Beck to a change of +2%-47% without Beck
    Yeah I don't think I included Beck, my bad. In my numbers that is about what I found too, nothing significant really changed. As I said, I took away the big game from Fant in what I was saying, so could argue that is unfair as well. But more so what I was saying is there was no real sustained improvement across the board to say they really looked any better with Lock in the game. With Lock we also targeted our top two tight ends about 1 less time per game as well.