Winston Expected To Sign With The Saints

Ian Rap expects a one year deal.

Saints would have a loaded QBackfield!

Cam anyone? Dalton?
    Last edited by CanDB; 04-26-2020 at 04:29 PM.

I saw that deal was for 1.1 million. For context, we signed Jeff Driskell for more money. Both of the Bucs backup QBs make more. Sure Jameis turns the ball over at an alarming rate (so did Eli) but he just led the league in passing, surely someone could offer a few extra, hell Tampa couldíve kept him and let him finally learn what it takes to be a top QB behind Brady.

A bit too late and silly twitter workouts aside but it does look like heís been taking the off-season very seriously. He looks to be in better shape than Iíve ever seen him. Hopefully he can stay away from all that delicious Cajun food, wouldnít want to see him getting caught stealing some andouille sausage next

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    I saw that deal was for 1.1 million. For context, we signed Jeff Driskell for more money. Both of the Bucs backup QBs make more. Sure Jameis turns the ball over at an alarming rate (so did Eli) but he just led the league in passing, surely someone could offer a few extra, hell Tampa could’ve kept him and let him finally learn what it takes to be a top QB behind Brady.

A bit too late and silly twitter workouts aside but it does look like he’s been taking the off-season very seriously. He looks to be in better shape than I’ve ever seen him. Hopefully he can stay away from all that delicious Cajun food, wouldn’t want to see him getting caught stealing some andouille sausage next
    I get your drift pal...this guy can be dangerous when on. How many backups lit it up like he did. Yes, the pics are a problem. But he can be a real passing threat, and he's mobile. That's a reasonable price tag, and I think The Saints made a wise acquisition!

I saw that deal was for 1.1 million. For context, we signed Jeff Driskell for more money. Both of the Bucs backup QBs make more. Sure Jameis turns the ball over at an alarming rate (so did Eli) but he just led the league in passing, surely someone could offer a few extra, hell Tampa could’ve kept him and let him finally learn what it takes to be a top QB behind Brady.

A bit too late and silly twitter workouts aside but it does look like he’s been taking the off-season very seriously. He looks to be in better shape than I’ve ever seen him. Hopefully he can stay away from all that delicious Cajun food, wouldn’t want to see him getting caught stealing some andouille sausage next
    He picked the wrong offseason to finally start taking it seriously. That offseason would have been last year, so that as a Free Agent teams would be focused on what he looks like when taking it seriously. Instead teams have seen a talented player who turns it over like no other, 35 total turnovers last year. To put that in perspective he accounted for 34 touchdowns last year. It doesn't matter how many yards and touchdowns you accumulate when you still end up with more turnovers than that.

Then of course you've got the incredibly saturated QB market this year, too many free agents and not enough places to land. It's no surprise that his market wasn't great. But that being said, he probably chose the best spot he could, a pass happy offense where the coach always wants to run it up and accumulate stats, and playing behind a 41 year old QB, who's already got his next job lined up. And of course that's not even taking into account that the team's "backup" QB is used more like a 4th TE than a QB.

Winston will get the chance to play in 2020, and he'll get the chance to rewrite the narrative that surrounds him, which will help next year when he's likely to be the biggest name free agent QB, and several teams that right now think they have their answer will be back in the market. If he's not re-signed or franchised by the Saints, because Brees isn't playing in 2021 (he'll be broadcasting) and Taysom Hill isn't their next QB, if he were they wouldn't have him out trying to block punts.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    I get your drift pal...this guy can be dangerous when on. How many backups lit it up like he did. Yes, the pics are a problem. But he can be a real passing threat, and he's mobile. That's a reasonable price tag, and I think The Saints made a wise acquisition!
    When you throw for over 30 TDs there's zero excuse for you to have only 3 more TDs than interceptions. And when you accumulate 34 touchdowns there's no excuse for you to have given up 1 more turnover than touchdown.

Both he and the Saints made a wise choice, although the upside for him is bigger than for the Saints, because with a good year he'll have a big market awaiting him next offseason. The problem for the Saints is that they still have the same Head Coach who's accomplishments isn't nearly as great as the perception of his accomplishments.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    When you throw for over 30 TDs there's zero excuse for you to have only 3 more TDs than interceptions. And when you accumulate 34 touchdowns there's no excuse for you to have given up 1 more turnover than touchdown.

Both he and the Saints made a wise choice, although the upside for him is bigger than for the Saints, because with a good year he'll have a big market awaiting him next offseason. The problem for the Saints is that they still have the same Head Coach who's accomplishments isn't nearly as great as the perception of his accomplishments.
    I think we agree....too many pics. But if this guy can show any improvement, he can be a decent QB. I've seen him shine, a number of times. 2017 was not a bad season...though still 19 TDs / 11 pics. Rate of 92.2. Back to the main point, I think The Saints got a pretty good deal.

Note: I think Payton is a good coach. My opinion.

Iím not trying to argue that Winston has been great but surely heís worth more/gives you more hope than Driskell or Blaine Gabbert or even Brian Hoyer. Maybe he turned down more because the Saints job can be a great one for a QB, so could the Packers and Steelers for that matter but I digress.

I’m not trying to argue that Winston has been great but surely he’s worth more/gives you more hope than Driskell or Blaine Gabbert or even Brian Hoyer. Maybe he turned down more because the Saints job can be a great one for a QB, so could the Packers and Steelers for that matter but I digress.
    I for one agree with you. Barely over a million is a deal.