Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    The NFL has said that they will not allow a big influx of players entering the Supplemental Draft. It seems like it will just be the small handful of players who lose their college eligibility.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...emental-draft/

Quote Originally Posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    The NFL has said that they will not allow a big influx of players entering the Supplemental Draft. It seems like it will just be the small handful of players who lose their college eligibility.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...emental-draft/
    I tend to agree with this article. It really does undermine the rights of the players. That said this will also (if they were to allow it) lessen the 2021 draft so I see both sides here.

So call me uninformed but how does the NFL determine who is eligible for this draft? I realize that 3 yrs of College is likely a criteria but beyond that?

Quote Originally Posted by WYBRONCO View Post
    So call me uninformed but how does the NFL determine who is eligible for this draft? I realize that 3 yrs of College is likely a criteria but beyond that?
    For the supplemental draft the player has to have been draft eligible and lost their eligibility for the upcoming season.

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    For the supplemental draft the player has to have been draft eligible and lost their eligibility for the upcoming season.
    Thanks for the clarification! Well, unless there is a push for kids to sign agents right now, that shouldn't be a huge number of kids.

The college players have a compelling argument though. At the moment they can make a decent argument that college’s may not be open or playing sports.

For some of the likely early round selections it makes little sense to return to school. Especially if they can prove the economic situations their families are facing are more important then another year of eligibility.

Even before this pandemic the conversation was getting louder about paying athletes and the billion dollar industry known as NCAA athletics.

Can they prove hardship or right to work if the current situation continues down that path? Will be interesting to see how many ( if any) young men choose to challenge it. Likely heads to court for resolution.

Can see both sides of the argument. Lean towards the rights of the young men to make themselves eligible though. These are strange and dire times for many. How does the NFL deny the opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by FR Tim View Post
    The college players have a compelling argument though. At the moment they can make a decent argument that college’s may not be open or playing sports.

For some of the likely early round selections it makes little sense to return to school. Especially if they can prove the economic situations their families are facing are more important then another year of eligibility.

Even before this pandemic the conversation was getting louder about paying athletes and the billion dollar industry known as NCAA athletics.

Can they prove hardship or right to work if the current situation continues down that path? Will be interesting to see how many ( if any) young men choose to challenge it. Likely heads to court for resolution.

Can see both sides of the argument. Lean towards the rights of the young men to make themselves eligible though. These are strange and dire times for many. How does the NFL deny the opportunity.
    I see your point. I guess my questions are: In order for the NFL to essentially change the rules for supplemental draft eligibility does this have to be collectively bargained by players/execs?

Also until the seasons are officially cancelled, which I certainly hope will not be the case at all, is there really an argument?

Personally I am not a huge fan of paying the players, especially if they are on full ride scholarships, though I could see a limited extra income limit, yes more than laundry money, for athletes.