Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by FR Tim View Post
    Just to clarify the supplemental draft process.

Players are made available and then teams put in a bid of draft picks for next year. In the case of most of the OTs being discussed, likely a 1st rd pick. It goes by this years draft order so the Broncos only have to worry about 14 teams outbidding them. Sound correct?

If that is correct, I find it funny how perceptions have changed. I made some mock trade proposals to move up or get an additional early before the draft using future picks.

Idea was universally shut down because ď cant risk giving up a high pick if the Broncos have a bad yearĒ ?

What changed?
    I donít think anything has changed, I just believe that the supplemental draft allows you to target the guy you want vs having to hope the draft falls a certain way. Obviously thereís still uncertainty but if some of these top OTs do declare you essentially use your pick a year early. And with how most teams value their top round picks theres a possibility you get an OT (or whichever position) for a lower round pick than where they would have ended up going.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    The only thing I would say to that is most college players don't have time to work so don't have a ton of money anyway
    So true!!! I never want to go back to those days

It will be interesting to see what happens.

I don't know what ship I've been floating on, but I know so little about this draft. But as I noted, Cris Carter came from it, as did Bernie Kosar, Josh Gordon and Jamal Williams. More examples of good ones as well.

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    I donít think anything has changed, I just believe that the supplemental draft allows you to target the guy you want vs having to hope the draft falls a certain way. Obviously thereís still uncertainty but if some of these top OTs do declare you essentially use your pick a year early. And with how most teams value their top round picks theres a possibility you get an OT (or whichever position) for a lower round pick than where they would have ended up going.
    Willingness to trade away next years high pick sure looks to have changed.

Broncos could have used a 2021 1st or 2nd to obtain another early pick for one of the OTs most coveted. Yet when suggested a few times last week I remember seeing the negative comments. Few were willing to part with a high pick.

Yet now it is acceptable / even desirable to use the pick for a player who likely chose not to come out early this season for a reason. So basically a higher risk then what we saw just get drafted below #40?

Most of the players being mentioned are 1st rd picks next year. A couple possibly top 10. Broncos would need to put in a 1st bid to have a shot. Doubt any deals can be achieved Too many teams likely also interested, at least a couple in the 14 ahead of them in the process.

Love the concept if they can pull it off though.

Willingness to trade away next years high pick sure looks to have changed.

Broncos could have used a 2021 1st or 2nd to obtain another early pick for one of the OTs most coveted. Yet when suggested a few times last week I remember seeing the negative comments. Few were willing to part with a high pick.

Yet now it is acceptable / even desirable to use the pick for a player who likely chose not to come out early this season for a reason. So basically a higher risk then what we saw just get drafted below #40?

Most of the players being mentioned are 1st rd picks next year. A couple possibly top 10. Broncos would need to put in a 1st bid to have a shot. Doubt any deals can be achieved Too many teams likely also interested, at least a couple in the 14 ahead of them in the process.

Love the concept if they can pull it off though.
    No matter who comes I doubt we will see a team use a 1st round pick. You have to go back to 1992 to find a 1st round supplemental draft pick. 2012 was Josh gordon in the 2nd round which was the first 2nd round pick used since 98. Granted most of the players that come through the supplemental draft generally have off the field issues which results in them losing their college eligibility so thatís also probably a big factor why. On the other hand without the interview process it can still scare teams off of such a high value.

Since the supplemental draft is a tiered system and Denver falls in the middle tier I think it works out perfectly for us. We arenít bad enough to overbid and not quite close enough to a Super Bowl to overbid either. We can put a 3rd round bid on a player projected to go in the 1st, if we get him itís a steal of a value, if not we lose nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    No matter who comes I doubt we will see a team use a 1st round pick. You have to go back to 1992 to find a 1st round supplemental draft pick. 2012 was Josh gordon in the 2nd round which was the first 2nd round pick used since 98. Granted most of the players that come through the supplemental draft generally have off the field issues which results in them losing their college eligibility so thatís also probably a big factor why. On the other hand without the interview process it can still scare teams off of such a high value.

Since the supplemental draft is a tiered system and Denver falls in the middle tier I think it works out perfectly for us. We arenít bad enough to overbid and not quite close enough to a Super Bowl to overbid either. We can put a 3rd round bid on a player projected to go in the 1st, if we get him itís a steal of a value, if not we lose nothing.
    I am all in if the Broncos can draft a 1st round project for a 3rd rd pick. Just skeptical it goes that way.

You stated it yourself. This supplemental draft would be unique in the reason players apply and overall interest from multiple teams. These are not discipline or character issues forced to enter the supplemental. Isnít the number of players entered every year low?

If a number of quality level players without character issues enter. Wouldnít that drive up the market price? My guess if this scenario plays out that an OT with 20s or lower value enters it will take an aggressive offer to even be in the game.

JMO

I always have wondered if the right prospect came along, would a team like New England (in recent years), or Indianapolis (with Manning), Saints, etc. make a pick using a high round selection. If you know you are more than likely picking in the 20's, the risk is lower and could push you over the top advancing your teams development. For a team like Denver who is a complete unknown, you don't want that pick potentially being a top 10 selection, or even top 10 in the second round, could be a really bad move.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    I always have wondered if the right prospect came along, would a team like New England (in recent years), or Indianapolis (with Manning), Saints, etc. make a pick using a high round selection. If you know you are more than likely picking in the 20's, the risk is lower and could push you over the top advancing your teams development. For a team like Denver who is a complete unknown, you don't want that pick potentially being a top 10 selection, or even top 10 in the second round, could be a really bad move.
    In 2012 the Browns used a 2nd round pick in the supplemental draft to get Josh Gordon, one of 5 supplemental draft picks in the last three decades to make a pro bowl, and the last one to do so as well. The Browns then proceeded to lose 12 games the next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa-pwn View Post
    In 2012 the Browns used a 2nd round pick in the supplemental draft to get Josh Gordon, one of 5 supplemental draft picks in the last three decades to make a pro bowl, and the last one to do so as well. The Browns then proceeded to lose 12 games the next year.
    So that essentially would of been a high second round pick, that isn't smart in my opinion. It might have looked better if Gordon didn't act like he has, because he could play. But you get no sympathy for that when he specifically was available because of the exact same issues which derailed his career.

I am all in if the Broncos can draft a 1st round project for a 3rd rd pick. Just skeptical it goes that way.

You stated it yourself. This supplemental draft would be unique in the reason players apply and overall interest from multiple teams. These are not discipline or character issues forced to enter the supplemental. Isn’t the number of players entered every year low?

If a number of quality level players without character issues enter. Wouldn’t that drive up the market price? My guess if this scenario plays out that an OT with 20s or lower value enters it will take an aggressive offer to even be in the game.

JMO
    I agree. I hugely doubt under these circumstances that we could get a 1st round talent in the third round. That said, I would not expect to draft at 15 or higher again in the next couple years. If the right player especially a highly valued OT enters, I would be excited to use our pick to get him. Good thing too would be that many teams ahead of us who needed OT already drafted them so that would certainly help with the competition. I would do it in a heart beat myself.
    My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

2020 Supplemental Draft

So I have been reading quite a bit about the 2020 supplemental draft and there is an awful lot of chatter about some of the better college players potentially entering the supplemental draft this year (or trying to) on the premise of the pandemic impacting the college season.

Curious as to whom you've heard may be going this route and if there are any players you think will likely be there this year we should look at?

I think anyone that put in for feedback from the draft advisory board is likely heavily considering it. Anyone that got a 2nd round grade may want to go back to lock in that 1st round grade. I think players who received later grades may want to come out to get a head start on that 2nd contract. Possibly even some players that were injured and missed time under the premise of getting better treatment in the pros.

Players in particular, I think Leatherwood will probably be mentioned a lot. Most of the media was trying to hype him as a first round pick, although I personally believe he received a 2nd or 3rd round grade from the board. Another guy I think may do it (and Iíd personally like to see it happen) would be Marquez Stevenson, the blazing WR for Houston. King transferred to Miami so the QB situation isnít great for him there. Although heíd benefit immensely from being able to run in Indy. But next year is a strong receiver class as well so he may want to skip it altogether

Would be great if Dylan Moses changed his mind and went the Supplemental route. I'd give up next years first for him right now without hesitation. D would be all set for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by conannilsen View Post
    Would be great if Dylan Moses changed his mind and went the Supplemental route. I'd give up next years first for him right now without hesitation. D would be all set for the future.
    I read that Moses missed all of this past season recovering from a torn knee ligament he suffered in August.
    Although, we'd save 5M after cutting Todd Davis, so that's a plus.

Moses and Johnson > Davis and Johnson

I'd offer a second, tops.

Quote Originally Posted by mozzerpete View Post
    I read that Moses missed all of this past season recovering from a torn knee ligament he suffered in August.
    Although, we'd save 5M after cutting Todd Davis, so that's a plus.

Moses and Johnson > Davis and Johnson

I'd offer a second, tops.
    He sure did, and going back to school was the right decision. His Agent was lobbying for him to declare, but Moses stuck with his early decision to go back so I really do think its doubtful at best. Davis may be better with the revamped Dline ahead of of him now too, The Wolfe presser where he said " I guess I am supposed to know what hole Davis is going to hit, so apparently it was my fault" and seemed to disagree with his role, I started to think maybe Wolfe is making Davis's job more hard than it should have been. Davis is always busy adjusting guys right up to the offensive snap, so I'm hoping the changes allow Davis to be fully set pre snap and not get caught off the line as often as he will be ready to attack instead of reacting all the time.