Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Broncos Sign DL Christian Covington

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nfl...cid=spartandhp

Christian Covington is heading to Denver. The defensive lineman is signing with the Broncos, reports SiriusXMís Adam Caplan (via Twitter).

Itíll be a one-year deal worth $1.75M for the 26-year-old. The deal includes $625K in guaranteed money.

Following a four-year stint with the Texans, the former sixth-rounder signed with the Cowboys last offseason. He ended up having one of the most productive seasons of his career, compiling a career-high 28 tackles to go with one sack and one pass defended in 16 games (six starts).

~~~~~

Competition!!!!

I was surprised Dallas let him go. He played a pretty good DT?

I can't believe it....I am usually vocal about my fellow canucks, and I just found out this guy's one of them! Ironic I did not know that.

His dad played in The CFL and was a 7 time all star and won the Most Outstanding Defensive Player award, one season. Good roots!

In order to make room for Covington, Denver waived offensive tackle Ka'John Armstrong yesterday.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Solid pick up.

So do we feel good with our Dline? I loved the Casey acquisition!

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Casey is a beast glad we picked him up.

Casey was an A+ acquisition. I feel like we havenít fully comprehended just how good of a player and person we got from TEN. The 5-time Pro Bowler is a massive upgrade to our DL compared to our beloved Wolfe. This was not your typical, run-of-the-mill Elway band-aid solution. At 30 years old, Casey is squarely in his prime and is on a fairly affordable contract. He will feast in Fangioís defense. To top it all off, we got him for basically nothing due to TENís efforts to create more cap space.

We brought back Shelby Harris for really cheap. I hope he has another strong year so he can earn a good deal elsewhere in 2021 FA because he deserves it. Casey and Harris are going to be a formidable tandem in those 4-2-5 sets that Fangio likes to employ.

At starting NT, Mike Purcell returns for another season as a fantastic run stuffer. He was a great find after bouncing around the NFL and the AAF. I would have liked to see Denver upgrade over him, but then againó if it ainít broke, donít fix it. Our run defense improved drastically last year with Purcell in the mix and should continue to be stout with him manning the middle of our DL.

The depth at DL is looking nice. DreíMont Jones, McTelvin Agim, and DeMarcus Walker are talented rotational players. Jones and Walker showed promise last year in Fangioís system, with Jones earning AFC DPOW honors as a rookie. Agim is a high upside project who flashes a fantastic first step and a surprising arsenal of interior pass rushing moves. Agim has a chance to be much better in the pros than at Arkansas due to playing out of position on their DL. I like Jonesí upside the most and I would count on him to succeed Harris after next season.

I donít know much about Christian Covington, but he appears to be another depth player on our team. DAL fans seemed content to let him go in the same way that we were fine with Adam Gotsis leaving.

Donít forget J. Heath. He re-signed too.

Another solid experienced vet to add to the mix. Dline is looking pleasantly impressive and crowded at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by FR Tim View Post
    Donít forget J. Heath. He re-signed too.

Another solid experienced vet to add to the mix. Dline is looking pleasantly impressive and crowded at this point.
    Oh yeah, I forgot about Heath. It was peculiar that he was such a late waiver add last season and was brought back this year, so the coaching staff must see something in him. I had a hunch that he was going to become the next obscure name to start for our defense a la Brandon Marshall, Todd Davis, Shelby Harris, etc... but that DL depth chart is going to be tough to crack with a lot of the young talent there. I ultimately think Heath will be in the roster fight along with Covington and Walker.

Hereís my way-too-early prediction of the 2020 DL depth chart come Week 1.

DL1: Casey, Jones, Agim
    NT: Purcell
    DL2: Harris, Walker

I think we were all concerned about our "trenches" this season. It is hard to compete at high levels if you are not in decent shape on either side of the ball. Our Oline, much discussed, is better. Might not be quite where us OT lovers want it, but better, and in front of a QB that was able to survive without too much difficulty, as a rookie. With added weapons, opponents will be hard pressed to not respect the need to be more defensive in some ways, than be allowed to get aggressive.

With Casey, I was a lot happier with our Dline. And knowing that Von and Chubb will be forcing things, we should be just fine.

Chubb returning has been mostly overlooked in the discussions around here. Huge upgrade back in the lineup

Not to mention any contributions from Callahan and James. Basically first year free agents and starters added to the roster.

Kind of crazy when you think two top 10 Bronco contracts never saw the field. And Chubb is a high impact player removed too. High hopes for this season.

Quote Originally Posted by FR Tim View Post
    Chubb returning has been mostly overlooked in the discussions around here. Huge upgrade back in the lineup

Not to mention any contributions from Callahan and James. Basically first year free agents and starters added to the roster.

Kind of crazy when you think two top 10 Bronco contracts never saw the field. And Chubb is a high impact player removed too. High hopes for this season.
    I would not doubt if Chubb leads the league in sacks, or makes the pro bowl. Pent up energy!!!

But yes, value ad with players who were not able to play last year. That's called upgrading by doing nothing!

And I would like to throw Lock into that discussion, in that he was not only a rookie, but we only got 5 games from him. So my take, we get 11 more regular season games (plus the playoff games) from a guy who is also better from day one of the season.

I would not doubt if Chubb leads the league in sacks, or makes the pro bowl. Pent up energy!!!

But yes, value ad with players who were not able to play last year. That's called upgrading by doing nothing!

And I would like to throw Lock into that discussion, in that he was not only a rookie, but we only got 5 games from him. So my take, we get 11 more regular season games (plus the playoff games) from a guy who is also better from day one of the season.
    Bradley Chubb needs to have a Great Year and Not Get Injured again this year and he needs to produce in order for us to forget about not drafting Q.Nelson.

Quote Originally Posted by DENVERSB50CHAMP View Post
    Bradley Chubb needs to have a Great Year and Not Get Injured again this year and he needs to produce in order for us to forget about not drafting Q.Nelson.
    Agreed. Nelson is easily going to perform at a high level for the next decade or so. Chubb has a bigger spotlight and more pressure to produce as an edge rusher. Before Chubb went down in the JAX game, he was playing at an elite level to the point where he was making a bigger impact than Von. He has virtually had the entire 2019 season and this whole offseason to heal up, so I'm optimistic he will be back to wreck opposing offenses in 2020.

Malik Reed exceeded expectations as a rookie UDFA and Jeremiah Attaochu impressed late in the season, but neither of them are near Chubb in terms of talent. Denver was 18th in sacks and 20th in pressures. When Chubb was healthy in 2018 (as a rookie), we were 8th in the league in sacks. It's time to unleash chaos.

Opposing QBs are going to be terrified against a four-man rush of Von, Casey, Harris, and Chubb. Fangio's defenses traditionally rely on that pressure upfront to generate stops and turnovers. I expect Bouye and Simmons to feast in the same way that Kyle Fuller and Eddie Jackson did for the Bears in 2018 under Fangio. I'm excited to see what our HC will do with a (hopefully) fully-healthy defensive squad and some nice upgrades.
    2014 Adopt-A-Bronco: #43 T.J. WARD & #38 QUINTON CARTER
    2013 Adopt-A-Bronco: #25 CHRIS HARRIS