Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh,PA
    Posts
    217

    KJ Hamler=Eddie Royal???

    Watching some highlights and he reminds me alot of Eddie Royal coming out, decent skills as a WR with great return ability.Does anybody else see some resemblance to his game? I think Hamler might be a little faster, Royal had decent hands.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    511
    I don't think Royal was ever considered a burner. We drafted Hamler to do one thing most of all and that was to take the top off the defense. Royal had good speed, Hamler has elite speed.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    14,365
    To the eye they look different to me, but the scouting reports read pretty similar. Dangerous with ball in hands, big play threat, lets ball into his pads too often, some issues catching the ball, struggle against physical coverage, etc. Similar players in terms of their positives and negatives, the only difference I see is that Eddie was better at tracking the deep ball, something Hamler is regarded as being pretty poor at.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh,PA
    Posts
    217
    Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    To the eye they look different to me, but the scouting reports read pretty similar. Dangerous with ball in hands, big play threat, lets ball into his pads too often, some issues catching the ball, struggle against physical coverage, etc. Similar players in terms of their positives and negatives, the only difference I see is that Eddie was better at tracking the deep ball, something Hamler is regarded as being pretty poor at.
    I remember Eddie surprising some people with his route running in his rookie season and end up earning the #2WR spot opposite Brandon Marshall. I don't see Hamler being a polished route runner right off the bat like Eddie was.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh,PA
    Posts
    217
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon30 View Post
    I don't think Royal was ever considered a burner. We drafted Hamler to do one thing most of all and that was to take the top off the defense. Royal had good speed, Hamler has elite speed.
    Hamler's catch radius isnt that great, but he will stretch defenses more effectively than Royal did in my opinion

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Nelson, BC
    Posts
    19,262
    Hamlet draft overview:

    Explosive slot target who hits the scales as a lightweight but could have heavyweight impact on games. Hamler's blazing speed is used solo and in route combinations to stress secondaries and create big plays. He had an alarming number of drops in 2019 and the routes are ragged, but his athleticism and separation burst on all three levels helps mitigate those concerns. He's a smallish slot who isn't built for the tough yardage and could have durability concerns if he's run into too many collisions. However, speed kills and his game-breaking potential on all three levels will be enticing as a high-risk, high-reward draft pick.

    Royal draft overview:

    Royal is at his best with the ball in his hands in the open field. He struggles a bit with physical corners and hasn't yet developed into a consistent receiver. Generated considerable buzz after a strong showing during the practice sessions of the Senior Bowl, catching the ball cleanly and showcasing the natural playmaking ability that wasn't often taken advantage of at Virginia Tech due to inconsistent play at quarterback.
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

    Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    14,365
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeBalla2k5 View Post
    I remember Eddie surprising some people with his route running in his rookie season and end up earning the #2WR spot opposite Brandon Marshall. I don't see Hamler being a polished route runner right off the bat like Eddie was.
    Eddie over achieved in 2008 with Cutler having that big season. I think for years after that we called for Eddie to transition to the slot after McDaniels spent 2 seasons trying to force him to be the number 2 opposite Marshall then Brandon Lloyd. Eddie carved out a solid career, but there will be no confusion with Hamler on where he will play, he is the slot guy here.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh,PA
    Posts
    217
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieMac View Post
    Hamlet draft overview:

    Explosive slot target who hits the scales as a lightweight but could have heavyweight impact on games. Hamler's blazing speed is used solo and in route combinations to stress secondaries and create big plays. He had an alarming number of drops in 2019 and the routes are ragged, but his athleticism and separation burst on all three levels helps mitigate those concerns. He's a smallish slot who isn't built for the tough yardage and could have durability concerns if he's run into too many collisions. However, speed kills and his game-breaking potential on all three levels will be enticing as a high-risk, high-reward draft pick.

    Royal draft overview:

    Royal is at his best with the ball in his hands in the open field. He struggles a bit with physical corners and hasn't yet developed into a consistent receiver. Generated considerable buzz after a strong showing during the practice sessions of the Senior Bowl, catching the ball cleanly and showcasing the natural playmaking ability that wasn't often taken advantage of at Virginia Tech due to inconsistent play at quarterback.
    I remember Royal adding more muscle in his 2nd year to go against more physical corners. He was still pretty fast, but it seemed like he became more of a possession receiver ,but still had some decent acceleration when he returned kicks. Hamler on the other hand, has the tools to be a more explosive WR running routes and coming out of his breaks.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    4,576
    If I had to compare Hamler to a former Bronco I'd probably say Trindon Holiday in the way he's quick and the fastest guy on the field. I'll take drops over fumbles if I have a choice.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    7,928
    Quote Originally Posted by lvbronx View Post
    If I had to compare Hamler to a former Bronco I'd probably say Trindon Holiday in the way he's quick and the fastest guy on the field. I'll take drops over fumbles if I have a choice.
    If we're talking size and stature, I get it.

    Holliday was a 6th round pick, who was in the NFL exclusively to return kicks. So, as actual players, I dunno.

    I don't know if anyone else has seen or posted this, but I thought it was funny:

    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...rd-kick-return

    "He had a 100-yard kick return against Michigan, and so we just figured we'd time him [in a 40-yard interval] on that play. We timed him at 3.93 in the 40, but of course he had a running start..."
    So yeah, as noted in the article, he's probably in the 4.32 or better range. But, you don't need to project, just watch film and you'll see he's faster than Royal. I don't think it matters if you're talking acceleration or long speed. If we're talking burst, or quickness, Hamler's got that too, but Royal had plenty of that as well.

    Here's an article that talks about how his top speed was clocked at PSU, but there's an interesting bit about he and DeSean Jackson:

    https://247sports.com/Article/KJ-Ham...all-145593962/

    "DeSean Jackson — KJ has that kind of speed," Hobgood told Garafolo of Hamler and the 5-10, 175-pound Jackson, a three-time Pro Bowl receiver. "The difference is KJ is a little stronger than him, especially in his upper body. DeSean struggled to bench press 225 (pounds) one time; KJ did it 15 times. So not only does KJ have that elite-level speed — he also has tremendous upper-body strength to go along with that."
    So, I have a hard time with the idea that Hamler's just going to explode every time he gets hit, or can't block, or all you have to is press him type of takes. Maybe it takes a minute to adjust to the NFL in that regard, but there's some projecting going on there. The important thing to not is that Hamler's effectiveness will have a lot to do with the quarterback. Jackson was great with good long ball throwers like Vick and Cousins (Yes, Cousins is actually a good deep ball quarterback). Much like Fuller is really good for Houston. This is because Watson wants to throw the deep ball, and is EXTREMELY good at it. He's also very good at extending plays. Fuller wouldn't be as effective if Houston had say, Brock Osweiler. So, that's what we're looking to do with Lock.
    Last edited by Spice 1; 04-29-2020 at 08:00 AM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    FORT COLLINS COLORADO
    Posts
    8,563
    I feel like hamler is a better athlete he is faster and quicker. Royal was the more dynamic football player expecially route running. Hamler needs to refine he trait become a better route runner and hands catcher. But his speed+quickness is super special in this league if he runs at the combine he would have challenged ruggs in the forty I hear he was running a 4.25 at Penn state pre injury. But what makes him really elite is he is super agile and his burst is top notch it doesn't take him long to start flying

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Way far away.
    Posts
    1,243
    Good news is we will definitely get a final evaluation of Hamilton. Nothing like drafting your position in the first AND second rounds to put a player on notice. Hamilton either sinks or swims this year. I'm personally rooting for him to become a viable number 2, but we shall see.

    While I'm deviating from the spirit of the post, might as well throw out my final roster WR room.

    Sutton
    Jeudy
    Hamler
    Patrick
    Hamilton
    Cleveland
    All it takes to win is doing whatever it takes to win: COMMITMENT

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    10,153
    Denver strongest strength on team now is WR so much talent there now. I think last time we had this much talent at skill positions was 2013 with DT, Welker, Julius Thomas, and Eric Decker.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    4,576
    Quote Originally Posted by Spice 1 View Post
    If we're talking size and stature, I get it.

    Holliday was a 6th round pick, who was in the NFL exclusively to return kicks. So, as actual players, I dunno.


    I don't know if anyone else has seen or posted this, but I thought it was funny:

    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...rd-kick-return



    So yeah, as noted in the article, he's probably in the 4.32 or better range. But, you don't need to project, just watch film and you'll see he's faster than Royal. I don't think it matters if you're talking acceleration or long speed. If we're talking burst, or quickness, Hamler's got that too, but Royal had plenty of that as well.

    Here's an article that talks about how his top speed was clocked at PSU, but there's an interesting bit about he and DeSean Jackson:

    https://247sports.com/Article/KJ-Ham...all-145593962/



    So, I have a hard time with the idea that Hamler's just going to explode every time he gets hit, or can't block, or all you have to is press him type of takes. Maybe it takes a minute to adjust to the NFL in that regard, but there's some projecting going on there. The important thing to not is that Hamler's effectiveness will have a lot to do with the quarterback. Jackson was great with good long ball throwers like Vick and Cousins (Yes, Cousins is actually a good deep ball quarterback). Much like Fuller is really good for Houston. This is because Watson wants to throw the deep ball, and is EXTREMELY good at it. He's also very good at extending plays. Fuller wouldn't be as effective if Houston had say, Brock Osweiler. So, that's what we're looking to do with Lock.
    I agree. I meant to say they were similar in style and how they move and run, but Hamler is a better all around football player than Holiday.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh,PA
    Posts
    217
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    I feel like hamler is a better athlete he is faster and quicker. Royal was the more dynamic football player expecially route running. Hamler needs to refine he trait become a better route runner and hands catcher. But his speed+quickness is super special in this league if he runs at the combine he would have challenged ruggs in the forty I hear he was running a 4.25 at Penn state pre injury. But what makes him really elite is he is super agile and his burst is top notch it doesn't take him long to start flying
    Ya, i dont think we have had somebody as explosive as hamler as far as straight line speed, royal could do both pretty decent , but i think hamler could be even better than royal was at both recieving and returning if he improves his route running.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •