Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Bolles 5th year option Declined

Controversial topic, but I know there are many people that have been down on Bolles for years, but has his improvements, durability and athleticism finally come to a point where he has earned it thanks to a year under Mike Munchak's guidance?

This should be fun!

- Option will be for $11m. Guaranteed if injured.
    - Some want him cut today
    - just read article proposing signing him to an extension.
    Example given was 3yr/ $21m. Front loaded to take the sting out of final if needed. Would he take less?

Only Munchak truly has the insight to say if he is worth it.

My first inclination would be try the extend him. Preferably less then_$7m per. But I know I am in the minority in thinking he will be better this year. Not great but better.

To answer the original question. Yes I would

There's no need to if he'll sign without using the option right? Use the option and you gotta pay him like he's elite. You don't want to do that do you

I don't know how it all works but if you can avoid paying him ........or overpaying him, I don't mind
    Red 98

Kareem rises to the top

Well, if this draft showed anything, it's that they're still willing to give Bolles a chance. Without other options, kinda have to stick with Bolles for now. Give him one more year to try and prove he can be a legit blindside blocker for a legit franchise QB, and if he fails, then we can move on.

The only type of person I would assume who would support this is someone who is hell bent on trying to justify jumping out the window in their post draft analysis of the pick years ago heralding it as a great move. There is no reason you are giving Bolles a contract worth 11 million for one year after the tape he has put up in his 3 years in the NFL. If he hits the free agent market and someone else wants to even considering offering him anything in that ballpark, have him, go nuts. You can replace what you get from Bolles in rounds 1, 2, or 3 in most years of the NFL draft, and you can spend that money elsewhere, no way would you allocate that type of one year deal to Bolles. Elway seems to give him an easy path to the starting gig year after year after he puts up terrible tape, so who knows, maybe he will do it.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    Elway seems to give him an easy path to the starting gig year after year after he puts up terrible tape, so who knows, maybe he will do it.
    This is what I don't get. Elway has shown he's willing to move on from first round mistakes. Shane Ray was gone quick. Paxton got the kicked to the curb and only got to start a handful of games. Yet Elway has yet to try find an upgrade over Bolles.

Has Bolles been significantly better at his position than Ray or Lynch were? No. Yet the FO has made little attempt at improvement at LT. Why Bolles' leash has been as long as it has is odd, to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon30 View Post
    This is what I don't get. Elway has shown he's willing to move on from first round mistakes. Shane Ray was gone quick. Paxton got the kicked to the curb and only got to start a handful of games. Yet Elway has yet to try find an upgrade over Bolles.

Has Bolles been significantly better at his position than Ray or Lynch were? No. Yet the FO has made little attempt at improvement at LT. Why Bolles' leash has been as long as it has is odd, to say the least.
    As bad as Bolles has been he is a much better player than Lynch.
    Lynch got beat out by a 7th rd draft pick for the hardest position in all of sports.

Ray is a better comparison but I would give Bolles the nod because he has stayed healthy.

All 3 were bad picks. I think Elway should not give him a 5th year option.
    If he has a great season he can always be tagged or try to extend him before the season is over.
    He most likely will be average, and not worth the investment. Let him walk and get the compensatory pick in 2022. Find his replacement in 2021 draft.

I think it just feels like longer because we are constantly exposed to Bolles and his bad play. All those guys you mentioned, Shane Ray, Paxton Lynch, Sylvester Williams, they were either rotational guys or barely played, so they weren't at the forefront of our thinking. But, all of them played 4 seasons here before moving on without having the 5th year option used. Bolles will play his 4th year this year and probably be hitting the road as well.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlimburg View Post
    I think it just feels like longer because we are constantly exposed to Bolles and his bad play. All those guys you mentioned, Shane Ray, Paxton Lynch, Sylvester Williams, they were either rotational guys or barely played, so they weren't at the forefront of our thinking. But, all of them played 4 seasons here before moving on without having the 5th year option used. Bolles will play his 4th year this year and probably be hitting the road as well.
    Lynch didn't make it 4 years. He was cut after his second year. Though for all his woes, it's safe to say Bolles is a much harder worker than Lynch ever was.

Lynch didn't make it 4 years. He was cut after his second year. Though for all his woes, it's safe to say Bolles is a much harder worker than Lynch ever was.
    My bad, yeah 2 years. I swear we all argued for more than 2 off-seasons about Lynch, they really gave up on him quickly. What a horrible pick.

Absolutely. It's 11m, which will be the 16th-20th highest 2021 cap hit for LTs. That's cheap, even for a below average starter. Further, if he improves then it's a complete bargain and if he sucks, well then you can just cut him because the 5th year option is only guaranteed for injury and Bolles has never missed a game due to injury.

It's pretty close to a no-brainer. The 5th year option gives flexibility and an opportunity to address the position from multiple angles. No option means we go into 2021 with no Bolles, no Wilkinson, no Rodgers, and likely a draft pick in the 20s.

I think Allbright also suggested the idea of signing him to a lower end deal. If Beachum made 8y last year, let's say Bolles gets a 3y 27m deal. This is all dependent on the idea that Munchak gives his seal of approval for Bolles. This also allows you more flexibility in taking a rookie, and giving them the ability to grow into the role properly. If the third year is essentially an option year, it's a viable financial strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by the0rangecrush View Post
    I think Allbright also suggested the idea of signing him to a lower end deal. If Beachum made 8y last year, let's say Bolles gets a 3y 27m deal. This is all dependent on the idea that Munchak gives his seal of approval for Bolles. This also allows you more flexibility in taking a rookie, and giving them the ability to grow into the role properly. If the third year is essentially an option year, it's a viable financial strategy.
    That is a solid plan.

I realize many are ready to move on from Bolles. I’m frustrated with his penalties too. But a mid level contract for a mid level tackle seems like a smart play.

As I mentioned, I still have some hope he is able to cut down on the mistakes with the assumed continuity of Risner and Munchak in his ear. If Bolles is the weak link of the line it can be schemed around with play calls.

The other assumption is that any OT is being brought in to replace Bolles. Until proven otherwise James is a $13m DNP. Having two coaching staffs questioning his desire to get back onto the field is concerning. Are we sure a drafted OT next year is not penciled in at RT ?

I’m not a member of the Bolles fan club. But I also think the man has more to offer then most around here. Fix the flaws and he can be a solid option. Remains to be seen if he can.

The reason to give him money now is that we can get him cheaper.

Should he have even one good year at LT and we do not exercise his 11m option than next year we probably looking at franchise tag which is 15.8 mil in 2020 and will go up. Munchak's evaluation should be the most important thing in this decision but I would like to see him play 2 good years before we have to give him a long term deal myself.

So tied to the OP's question is does one think he will turn it around in 2020 or not.

• No he will not turn it around - then let him become a free agent and deal with that
    • Yes he will turn it around - get the 5th year option. Tag him in 2021 if he is still good than long term contract in 2022

Like others have mentioned I would rely heavy on Munchak's advice. There are players in the NFL that have shown no signs of hope imo Bolles is not one of them.
    Last edited by Hadez; 05-01-2020 at 07:06 AM.
    A good plan put into motion today is better than the ideal plan that is always coming sometime in the future.