Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Looks like lots of 5th year options are being declined this year...

Myles Garrett, DE (Browns): To be exercised
    Mitchell Trubisky, QB (Bears): To be declined
    Solomon Thomas, DE (49ers): Declined
    Leonard Fournette, RB (Jaguars): To be declined
    Corey Davis, WR (Titans): Declined
    Jamal Adams, S (Jets): To be exercised
    Mike Williams, WR (Chargers): To be exercised
    Christian McCaffrey, RB (Panthers): To be exercised; Followed by extension
    John Ross, WR (Bengals): To be declined
    Patrick Mahomes, QB (Chiefs): To be exercised
    Marshon Lattimore, CB (Saints): To be exercised
    Deshaun Watson, QB (Texans): Exercised
    Haason Reddick, LB (Cardinals):
    Derek Barnett, DE (Eagles): To be exercised
    Malik Hooker, S (Colts):
    Marlon Humphrey, CB (Ravens): To be exercised
    Jonathan Allen, DE (Redskins): Exercised
    Adoree’ Jackson, CB (Titans): Exercised
    O.J. Howard, TE (Buccaneers): Exercised
    Garett Bolles, OT (Broncos): Declined
    Jarrad Davis, LB (Lions): Expected to be declined
    Charles Harris, DE (Falcons, from Dolphins): Declined
    Evan Engram, TE (Giants): Exercised
    Gareon Conley, CB (Texans): To be declined
    Jabrill Peppers, S (Giants): Exercised
    Takkarist McKinley, DE (Falcons): Declined
    Tre’Davious White, CB (Bills): To be exercised
    Taco Charlton, DE (Dolphins): Waived
    David Njoku, TE (Browns): To be exercised
    T.J. Watt, LB (Steelers): Exercised
    Reuben Foster, LB (Redskins): To be declined
    Ryan Ramczyk, OT (Saints): To be exercised
    http://s7.postimg.org/hjr8fcmaz/EM2.jpg

Adopted Bronco: Andy Janovich

As much as posters here talk up Ryan Ramczyk I am surprised his option has not been exercised. If a team thinks the OT is good then it is a no brainer as from what I have seen it saves millions in cap space at OT compared to Franchise Tag.
    In the last 45 years the Broncos have drafted in the top 10 five times. They have drafted in the top 15 twelve times. Some may want them to draft a top 5 pick but the Broncos are not as bad they want them to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Hadez View Post
    As much as posters here talk up Ryan Ramczyk I am surprised his option has not been exercised. If a team thinks the OT is good then it is a no brainer as from what I have seen it saves millions in cap space at OT compared to Franchise Tag.
    If you are talking about the 5th year option, the Saints have excersized it

https://www.si.com/nfl/saints/editor...timore-ramczyk
    My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Quote Originally Posted by FL BRONCO View Post
    If you are talking about the 5th year option, the Saints have excersized it

https://www.si.com/nfl/saints/editor...timore-ramczyk
    My bad I think I misread something. Thank you
    In the last 45 years the Broncos have drafted in the top 10 five times. They have drafted in the top 15 twelve times. Some may want them to draft a top 5 pick but the Broncos are not as bad they want them to be.

He may have only had 6 holding penalties accepted, but he was flagged for twice as many.. The others were declined.

https://www.9news.com/article/sports...9-b217a41d69b1

He got 4 in the Bears game alone.
    Well if you want to play that game, you can add all the stats for all players, on both sides of the ball when a penalty was thrown. That could mean more TDs for some offensive players, more sacks and tackles for defensive players. You can't make a valid point if you only pick and chose your situation on declined penalties for one player.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerless View Post
    I think it was more Elway trying to light a fire under Bolles' behind.
    That was the impression I got.

Quote Originally Posted by haciendadad View Post
    Well if you want to play that game, you can add all the stats for all players, on both sides of the ball when a penalty was thrown. That could mean more TDs for some offensive players, more sacks and tackles for defensive players. You can't make a valid point if you only pick and chose your situation on declined penalties for one player.
    Well you can name other players if you want. This thread is about Bolles and those numbers are true. They were added cause they apply to the subject. To ignore the fact that the penalties were not accepted and act like he only committed 6 is , imo, ignoring the truth in favor of what will show him more favorably. Again, he committed 4 in the Bears game alone, if I remember correctly, He committed 2 on the Same drive. This is the reality that is Garrett Bolles play on the field. Conveniently picking the last 5 games or only the 6 holding penalties accepted is not looking at the total picture and I would hope that isn't how our FO is evaluating him. He will have this season to show consistency and change so we will see. But as of right now, the balance sheet is not weighing in his favor imo.
    Last edited by FL BRONCO; 05-04-2020 at 08:18 AM.

Well you can name other players if you want. This thread is about Bolles and those numbers are true. They were added cause they apply to the subject. To ignore the fact that the penalties were not accepted and act like he only committed 6 is , imo, ignoring the truth in favor of what will show him more favorably. Again, he committed 4 in the Bears game alone, if I remember correctly, He committed 2 on the Same drive. This is the reality that is Garrett Bolles play on the field. Conveniently picking the last 5 games or only the 6 holing penalties accepted is not looking at the total picture and I would hope that isn't how our FO is evaluating him. He will have this season to show consistency and change so we will see. But as of right now, the balance sheet is not weighing in his favor imo.
    Completely fair to consider all the details when discussing Bollesí.

The man needs to play better. Not sure anyone can argue otherwise. But equally important is to be fair when discussing players he is being compared with.

Most olineman also had calls that brought back big plays, 1st downs or TDs. Some had multiple calls in games. Many had penalties declined. Part of what is being mentioned is that Bolles may be leading the list but there are other olineman with similar numbers of calls.

Take a look at the link provided that shows that highly regarded, graded and highest paid olineman are within a couple holding calls of Bolles.

Canít dismiss the good stretches or highly graded games any more then you can completely focus on his bad games. Most lineman are going to have those peaks and valleys throughout a season.

Same as some will negatively compare Bolles to higher graded players but when Bollesí grade is revealed as not as bad as expected (iirc PFF graded him a 76 / 12 th OT) the narrative becomes ď PFF grades are uselessĒ . Arenít they just as useless for those top guys Bolles is being compared to?

It will be interesting to see how he plays this year. If he can be a more efficient player and avoid the stupid penalties. Hope so. Same as Iím hoping the highest paid RT in the league can actually play at least part of the season this year.

Not arguing that Bolles has to improve. Just is not a bad as some of the criticisms tend to be around here.

Quote Originally Posted by FR Tim View Post
    Completely fair to consider all the details when discussing Bollesí.

The man needs to play better. Not sure anyone can argue otherwise. But equally important is to be fair when discussing players he is being compared with.

Most olineman also had calls that brought back big plays, 1st downs or TDs. Some had multiple calls in games. Many had penalties declined. Part of what is being mentioned is that Bolles may be leading the list but there are other olineman with similar numbers of calls.

Take a look at the link provided that shows that highly regarded, graded and highest paid olineman are within a couple holding calls of Bolles.

Canít dismiss the good stretches or highly graded games any more then you can completely focus on his bad games. Most lineman are going to have those peaks and valleys throughout a season.

Same as some will negatively compare Bolles to higher graded players but when Bollesí grade is revealed as not as bad as expected (iirc PFF graded him a 76 / 12 th OT) the narrative becomes ď PFF grades are uselessĒ . Arenít they just as useless for those top guys Bolles is being compared to?

If Bolles had enough good stretches, one would think Elway would have picked up the 5th year. As far as comparing him to other players, how many of them were the first tackle taken in there draft class?

It will be interesting to see how he plays this year. If he can be a more efficient player and avoid the stupid penalties. Hope so. Same as Iím hoping the highest paid RT in the league can actually play at least part of the season this year.

Not arguing that Bolles has to improve. Just is not a bad as some of the criticisms tend to be around here.
    If Bolles played enough good stretches Elway would have likely picked up the 5th year (nearly certain). As far as comparing Bolles to other players he was the first lineman taken in the 2017 draft class. There are expectations that come with being a first round pick and heís never been close to proving he was worth the #20 pick. I canít speak for anyone else but I think Bolles lost some fan support with his lack of ownership with the penalties. When he made the issue about the officials targeting him, it was a pathetic excuse. He spent the first couple of seasons getting frustrated when coaches tried to help him, which limited improvement (players have spoken about this). Last season Elway talked about people being frustrated with Bolles - when it gets to that point itís not what fans were saying, it was about the organization. I highly doubt the coaches care about those PFF grades.

Perfect scenario really. Bolles either improves because he feels slighted and it helps him financially, either from Denver or someone else. Or he doesn't get better giving Denver a clear reason to move on and not having owed him even more guaranteed money.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
    If Bolles played enough good stretches Elway would have likely picked up the 5th year (nearly certain). As far as comparing Bolles to other players he was the first lineman taken in the 2017 draft class. There are expectations that come with being a first round pick and heís never been close to proving he was worth the #20 pick. I canít speak for anyone else but I think Bolles lost some fan support with his lack of ownership with the penalties. When he made the issue about the officials targeting him, it was a pathetic excuse. He spent the first couple of seasons getting frustrated when coaches tried to help him, which limited improvement (players have spoken about this). Last season Elway talked about people being frustrated with Bolles - when it gets to that point itís not what fans were saying, it was about the organization. I highly doubt the coaches care about those PFF grades.
    Yet despite all that frustration he has started the last 48 games at LT and remains the assumed starter next season as of today.

Despite the frustration the Broncos signed a RT last offseason, did not draft an OT and as of today have not signed another OT to replace him or even challenge him.

That leads me to believe they believe in some type of grading system that rates him higher them most fan criticisms. IMO actions speak louder then words over the past couple years.

To be clear, Bolles is frustrating and has not met the high expectations placed on him. I absolutely agree he has to play better then he has. If he canít he should be gone but for who?

But fans want to discuss his four penalties against the Bears but rarely bring up his week 16 performance against the Lions where he was the highest rated OT in the league.

I have no clue how Bolles survives this frustration most of us feel. And I include Elway and the coaches too. Bolles is a huge question mark but so is James and Wilkinson. Most of the OTs Iíve seen mentioned as possible FAs this season or next tend to have issues too Penalties, sacks, injury prone, age , cost ???

When a viable alternative and upgrade is presented Iíll get on board but at the moment Iím not hearing about an upgrade. Iíll rely on continued improvement and him finally getting his head out of his posterior until a better option presents itself.

JMO
    Last edited by FR Tim; 05-04-2020 at 10:19 AM.

Yet despite all that frustration he has started the last 48 games at LT and remains the assumed starter next season as of today.

Despite the frustration the Broncos signed a RT last offseason, did not draft an OT and as of today have not signed another OT to replace him or even challenge him.

That leads me to believe they believe in some type of grading system that rates him higher them most fan criticisms. IMO actions speak louder then words over the past couple years.

To be clear, Bolles is frustrating and has not met the high expectations placed on him. I absolutely agree he has to play better then he has. If he can’t he should be gone but for who?

But fans want to discuss his four penalties against the Bears but rarely bring up his week 16 performance against the Lions where he was the highest rated OT in the league.

I have no clue how Bolles survives this frustration most of us feel. And I include Elway and the coaches too. Bolles is a huge question mark but so is James and Wilkinson. Most of the OTs I’ve seen mentioned as possible FAs this season or next tend to have issues too Penalties, sacks, injury prone, age , cost ???

When a viable alternative and upgrade is presented I’ll get on board but at the moment I’m not hearing about an upgrade. I’ll rely on continued improvement and him finally getting his head out of his posterior until a better option presents itself.

JMO
    The interior O-Line is more than solid with the addition of Glasgow, Cushenberry and Muti. If Muti is healthy, it could make moving Risner to RT possible, in the event James has injury problems again. If Bolles, Risner, Cushenberry, Glasgow and James are the five, and Muti is healthy, I think he's number six.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    The interior O-Line is more than solid with the addition of Glasgow, Cushenberry and Muti. If Muti is healthy, it could make moving Risner to RT possible, in the event James has injury problems again. If Bolles, Risner, Cushenberry, Glasgow and James are the five, and Muti is healthy, I think he's number six.
    I know people can have negative things to say about those six but that group with Munchak is imo the best OL we have had in 5 years.

I read the Muti played a couple games at LT in college.

Do you think Risner or Muti is better suited to play OT?

edit - just read your comments in the Muti thread. I think I get a understanding for your opinion here.
    Last edited by Hadez; 05-04-2020 at 11:46 AM.

To be clear, Bolles is frustrating and has not met the high expectations placed on him. I absolutely agree he has to play better then he has. If he canít he should be gone but for who?

I have no clue how Bolles survives this frustration most of us feel. And I include Elway and the coaches too. Bolles is a huge question mark but so is James and Wilkinson. Most of the OTs Iíve seen mentioned as possible FAs this season or next tend to have issues too Penalties, sacks, injury prone, age , cost ???

When a viable alternative and upgrade is presented Iíll get on board but at the moment Iím not hearing about an upgrade. Iíll rely on continued improvement and him finally getting his head out of his posterior until a better option presents itself.

JMO
    Only speculation but I believe if not for James being injured we would have seen Wilkinson take over at LT last season. Thatís not to say he would have played better than Bolles. Wilkinson struggled at times at RT however he doesnít have nearly the number of games as Bolles. As far as the holding penalties, no itís not people only harping about the Bears game. In 2017 he had the 3rd most holding penalties among Tackles (12); 5th most in 2018 (10); 8th most in 2019 (10). He couldnít improve by 1 holding call from 2018 to 2019, with Munchak. The holding calls are only part of the problem - how many pressures, sacks and poor blocks in the run game over three seasons? Has he had a few good games, sure. If he plays well this season heíll been in a good position going into FA. Weíll see.

To be clear, Bolles is frustrating and has not met the high expectations placed on him. I absolutely agree he has to play better then he has. If he can’t he should be gone but for who?

I have no clue how Bolles survives this frustration most of us feel. And I include Elway and the coaches too. Bolles is a huge question mark but so is James and Wilkinson.
    Most of the OTs I’ve seen mentioned as possible FAs this season or next tend to have issues too Penalties, sacks, injury prone, age , cost ???

When a viable alternative and upgrade is presented I’ll get on board but at the moment I’m not hearing about an upgrade. I’ll rely on continued improvement and him finally getting his head out of his posterior until a better option presents itself.

JMO
    I am more than willing to talk about and acknowledge Bolles week 16 performance as well as his final few games last year in which he did well. But these are outliers imo. He has shown more bad then good hence the balance sheet is not in his favor. Last year the fans were booing him off the field and Elway actually made the comment publicly "does he know what holding is". That is pretty bad. I wanted Ram but I came in with an open mind and excited about him. He has slowly and steadily eroded that support through frustration in his play and his not learning from his mistakes and playing better and his comments afterwards where he seamed to blame others instead of himself.

I agree with your comment about James and Wilkinson also being question marks. I don't feel comfortable with counting on any of them going into this year. I am not a huge FA fan cause it seems to cost us more than we get in returns in recent years. This makes it all the more frustrating that we didn't draft a Tackle in this draft. As I have said, I would have preferred we did. Now I think we will have to get a FA Tackle, cause I don't think counting on those 3 players at those positions should be the only plan.

I certainly hope Bolles does get it all together and lives up to his potential consistently and becomes our book end LT. I hope James shows up consistently and becomes the other. I hope Wilks improves and becomes a viable swing tackle. But I am not counting on any of this happening cause it does not reflect what has happened with any of our Tackles in the past.

I will be the first to admit that at least with Bolles and James, I have a tainted POV. I have it based on what they have showed me in the past. When they show me different on a consistent basis, I will certainly be on board with changing my opinion. But until then I do not feel comfortable with them as our plan to protect Drew.

Elway did not exercise his 5th year option for a reason. Hopefully it will drive him to improve and be better. But if his play this year reflects his play in previous years, I would expect him not to be on the Roster in 2021.