Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    Paxton Lynch by far takes the cookie on this one. Dude was play GTA when he was supposed to be studying to save his job.
    There was a poster that said he was a close friend of the family and warned us about these things. I wish I could find that thread

Hooray, beer!

Quote Originally Posted by rst08tierney View Post
    can we agree this was johns worst DRAFT mistake as a GM?
    Absolutley not. Lynch, Ray, and Williams are all worse selections. Lynch, no explanation needed. Ray, only started 15 games- no longer in the league. Williams, 48/64 games, barely in the league still. Heck even Roby only started 39 games in his 6 year career to Bolles' 48/48.

Still too early to say on Chubb, Fant, and Jeudy, but at the moment Bolles is probably Elway's best first rounder not named Von Miller.

Quote Originally Posted by beastlyskronk View Post
    James tore some ligaments in his knee and re-tore them, the scar tissue and his meniscus when he came back. He said the whole second quarter of the game he came back for his knee was buckling on him. The medical staff felt he could play and be fine with a brace but he didn’t feel like it would heal properly if he did. You can consider a question of heart but he has to think long term. Good news we won’t be playing on a baseball field to start this season

I'll change my opinion when I see him actually play on any field this season for a consistent period of time.
    My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Quote Originally Posted by Hadez View Post
    During the 2019 season I could not bring up the poor play (or lack of playing) of another player on the OL without multiple posters just unable to resist the opportunity to express their hate for Bolles. The hate for Bolles goes beyond reason on these boards and apparently in other Bronco news sources.
    Well I'm not sure I would describe it as hate. I think fans are fed up with being fed the same crap year after year and not having addressed and fixed the actual problem. Plenty of us didn't want to draft him in the first place, but he has been given plenty of chances. He doesn't seem to learn or get better. He seems to blame others and rumors are he doesn't take to teaching well. By what I have seen on the field and out of his mouth, I can certainly see that being the case. I do not hate Bolles himself, but I am certainly fed up with seeing him marched out there year after year at LT only to see the same result. That is actually more on John then GB. But plenty of fans are fed up. I remember when Cassel got hurt and KC fans cheered. That was classless, but those fans were totally fed up with him being marched out there again and again only to see the same crap play. Cassel took the brunt of it but that was the Coaching staffs fault imo for being so stubborn in putting him out there again and again. I think we have a similar situation with Bolles here. Many fans, me included, want the Tackle position addressed and it gets extremely frustrating to see it not being addressed again. Right now we have 2 starting Tackles that If I was betting, I would not bet on either of them.
    My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Quote Originally Posted by FL BRONCO View Post
    Well I'm not sure I would describe it as hate. I think fans are fed up with being fed the same crap year after year and not having addressed and fixed the actual problem. Plenty of us didn't want to draft him in the first place, but he has been given plenty of chances. He doesn't seem to learn or get better. He seems to blame others and rumors are he doesn't take to teaching well. By what I have seen on the field and out of his mouth, I can certainly see that being the case. I do not hate Bolles himself, but I am certainly fed up with seeing him marched out there year after year at LT only to see the same result. That is actually more on John then GB. But plenty of fans are fed up. I remember when Cassel got hurt and KC fans cheered. That was classless, but those fans were totally fed up with him being marched out there again and again only to see the same crap play. Cassel took the brunt of it but that was the Coaching staffs fault imo for being so stubborn in putting him out there again and again. I think we have a similar situation with Bolles here. Many fans, me included, want the Tackle position addressed and it gets extremely frustrating to see it not being addressed again. Right now we have 2 starting Tackles that If I was betting, I would not bet on either of them.
    You make some great points. It is easy to be fed up with the current OT situation. And maybe more importantly the lack of any efforts to upgrade or improve the position. Elway and Co seem to have much more confidence in the group then most of us do. I am still hoping they are able to bring a quality swing OT for depth and upgrade of the room. Push the starters and Wilkerson for playing time. But at this point it looks like the starters are going to be James and Bolles..

I do disagree with the hindsight of "most of us didn't want Bolles in the first place". For fun, I went back an re-read the draft night thread. There was a vocal majority contingent that wanted Foster (bust) and Lamp (bust). Others like Robinson has had marginal success but I would still take Bolles. Which leaves us with Ramczyk. Another controversial pick at the time because of his injury before the draft and projected as a G because of it. He has excelled as a RT in a Saints offense. Would he have been as successful as a LT with the QBs and offenses trotted out by the Broncos the past few years? Maybe? Maybe not? But it was a coin flip at the time.

It was a bad OT draft in 2017. Broncos took a chance on Bolles and he is exactly who he was billed as. A physically talented but inexperienced player that had technical flaws, holding issues and a "nasty" attitude that pushes the limits every play. Problem is he is still too much that player instead of the professional he should be developing into with multiple years under his belt. I still have some optimism that a year under Munchak and a consistent LG with Risner will be significant for his development.

Most of us see the issues, Bolles repeats the same mistakes and James is an expensive FA that hasn't seen the field. Wilkerson is a marginal backup with flaws of his own.

For some reason (perhaps blind faith instead of objective reason?) I think the OT position will be much better then in past years just by the mobility of the QB and structure of the projected offense. The interior looks to be fortified and should be consistently stable, if not dominant. A more balanced and hopefully productive attack will give the offensive line more of an edge instead of being predictable and at the mercy of defensive coords.

As a team the Broncos still need to prove it on the field. But the OT position may have the most to prove. I'll remain optimistic. Not expecting greatness or mistake free, just better then we have seen the past couple seasons.
    Last edited by FR Tim; 05-31-2020 at 09:53 AM.

Question to anyone who wants a swing at it....."What do you need to see from Bolles this season to feel he deserves to remain as our LT? Any specific stats? Reduced holds? What lineman rating do you want him to meet or exceed?"

Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post
    Question to anyone who wants a swing at it....."What do you need to see from Bolles this season to feel he deserves to remain as our LT? Any specific stats? Reduced holds? What lineman rating do you want him to meet or exceed?"

Just curious.

I just want to see improvement of technique and less stupid holding and personal foul calls. I am not expecting miracles. If he plays with chemistry alongside Risner and can open holes and protect while cutting his holding calls in half... I am thrilled. He can do that the rest falls into place. IMO

It is much more difficult to define those bullet points of what it takes for him "remaining the Broncos LT"

Some fans are so soured on him that no amount of improvement will be enough. What "ratings" will be believed or accepted? iirc he was rated 12th in PFF, that gets dismissed constantly. Yet if the Broncos signed a "top 10 OT" tomorrow those same posters would rejoice. I remember reading that one of James' best years in MIA he was rated at 78.1. This past season Bolles was rated a 77.6. One is making $13M and on a 4yr/$51M contract. The other is a bum that can't be run out of town fast enough.

The other issue is going to be cost. He plays well and the cost goes up. Can or will the Broncos be able to afford him? If he plays as well as James shouldn't he expect to be be paid as least as well? I have seen multiple posters stating they could franchise tag him, for $17M a year? IMO not happening.

IMO this will be Bolles last season as a Bronco. He doesn't develop and plays poorly it wont matter. Likely not the starter by the end of the season. If he cleans up his game I think he leaves in free agency for more then the Broncos can pay.

Ideally i would love to see him develop into a reliable OT and cut back on his mistakes and agree to re-sign in the range of 4yr/$50M type contract. Less if possible. But doubt that happens. Too many variables against it. But a man can dream.

Quote Originally Posted by FR Tim View Post
    I just want to see improvement of technique and less stupid holding and personal foul calls. I am not expecting miracles. If he plays with chemistry alongside Risner and can open holes and protect while cutting his holding calls in half... I am thrilled. He can do that the rest falls into place. IMO

It is much more difficult to define those bullet points of what it takes for him "remaining the Broncos LT"

Some fans are so soured on him that no amount of improvement will be enough. What "ratings" will be believed or accepted? iirc he was rated 12th in PFF, that gets dismissed constantly. Yet if the Broncos signed a "top 10 OT" tomorrow those same posters would rejoice. I remember reading that one of James' best years in MIA he was rated at 78.1. This past season Bolles was rated a 77.6. One is making $13M and on a 4yr/$51M contract. The other is a bum that can't be run out of town fast enough.

The other issue is going to be cost. He plays well and the cost goes up. Can or will the Broncos be able to afford him? If he plays as well as James shouldn't he expect to be be paid as least as well? I have seen multiple posters stating they could franchise tag him, for $17M a year? IMO not happening.

IMO this will be Bolles last season as a Bronco. He doesn't develop and plays poorly it wont matter. Likely not the starter by the end of the season. If he cleans up his game I think he leaves in free agency for more then the Broncos can pay.

Ideally i would love to see him develop into a reliable OT and cut back on his mistakes and agree to re-sign in the range of 4yr/$50M type contract. Less if possible. But doubt that happens. Too many variables against it. But a man can dream.
    Thx for that.

It's a tough situation. He gets decent stats and they are dismissed by many. He makes a bad play, and most of us are concerned. It's not exactly a "can't win" situation, but it does not seem to go away. I joke about it, but his name comes up in almost every Broncos thread, no matter the topic.

And if he does just "ok" (rather than not ok), does it have anything to do with preserving the pick you made? You don't want to give up too soon on a fairly high draft pick.

I think I agree...unless he has a really positive season, he will be gone. And the irony of it all is if he gets paid well elsewhere, and goes on to be a reliable LT.

It isn't just the number of holds by Bolles. It seems when he gets them it's always on a 40 yard TD play. I wonder if there's a stat on yards lost due to penalty?

The Broncos must see something in him. Elway makes mistakes but he moves on from them very quickly too. It's strange that Bolles hasn't even had any announced competition until this year. The staff must feel Bolles needed positive reinforcement. It's about all I can think really. Announcing Wilkinson will compete with Bolles is actually a change.

There's so many factors in keeping Bolles including his performance, contract, FAs, OTs and the draft. Next year is supposed to be another good year for OTs in the draft.

For me, both the OT and CB situations have a ceiling of being "OK" if everything works out. I'm just not sure what Plan B is if things don't.

I get the points you made. Some around here have been calling for serious attention to the OL for years and been frustrated at the lack of effort and results in the effort that was made. I been saying for years the OL is a 2 year project. Even going into this off-season with Risner I still did not think we did enough in 2019 to make it less than a 2 year project. It is just too hard to fix that many problems in 1 year.

While more than 1 poster can only discuss how bad Bolles was on the OL he was not the only problem on our OL in 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by lvbronx View Post
    It isn't just the number of holds by Bolles. It seems when he gets them it's always on a 40 yard TD play. I wonder if there's a stat on yards lost due to penalty?

The Broncos must see something in him. Elway makes mistakes but he moves on from them very quickly too. It's strange that Bolles hasn't even had any announced competition until this year. The staff must feel Bolles needed positive reinforcement. It's about all I can think really. Announcing Wilkinson will compete with Bolles is actually a change.

There's so many factors in keeping Bolles including his performance, contract, FAs, OTs and the draft. Next year is supposed to be another good year for OTs in the draft.

For me, both the OT and CB situations have a ceiling of being "OK" if everything works out. I'm just not sure what Plan B is if things don't.
    Not true that Bolles cost TDs. It happened once. Leary had multiple calls that called back scores. Bolles also had one 20 yard play called back. The rest of his holds were incompletions or short rushing gains.

I posted a SI article that broke down the “Bolles misconceptions” somewhere in this thread.

Does he have to improve... no doubt! But his overall negative impact is overblown.
    Last edited by FR Tim; 05-31-2020 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CanDB View Post

Just curious.

Any O-Lineman at any level should strive not to have a problem with penalties, play the blocking scheme the way it's taught and chalked up which should result in good ypa on rushing attempts and few/no sacks on pass attempts.

Penalties assessed for O-Linemen are almost always false start (illegal procedure), holding or personal foul. If an O-Lineman has trouble with one or more of these types of penalties, it tells the O-Line coach what the problem is. False start is mental, holding is technique and personal foul is attitude. All are fixable.

Garrett Bolles needs to cut down on his penalties, have a good ypa on rushing attempts in his area and give up very few/no sacks. That is all.

I wonder if he could HOLD up better on the right side.

If we're lucky, he might start tripping opponents too.

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Garrett Bolles' problems with penalties are the result of poor hand technique. I'm inclined to doubt if just moving him to the right will chance that.
    I'm guessing he's right-handed, so perhaps playing RT with its mirrored body position may help.
    For example, some people are natural at moving right and left while many of us prefer only one.

Bolles may be out of position.

Quote Originally Posted by broncolee View Post
    Why wouldn’t defenses put there best pass rusher on their left in order to take advantage of Bolles?
    Defense coordinators would be foolish not to do so.

In moving Bolles to RT, one would hope it's more natural for him to anchor his opposite leg in the passing game.
    He's athletic enough to win most run battles at RT.

I'd like to see Denver try Bolles at RT or give him two left cleats.