Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by haciendadad View Post
    They were together in the beginning of last year and neither could find a sack between them for the first three games 3 (or was it 4?) games. Von is nothing like he was 5 years ago and he knows it. We won't be seeing double digit sacks by Von anymore, his over/under threshold is more near 7 now. If his dead cap hit wasn't so high, he would be gone this year because his play doesn't match his ~$25.6M salary which is the 7th highest in the NFL this year.
    I understand. The year before they were really good, and Chubb was a rookie. I realize Von is not quite the same, but I believe our O will make life better for our D, by controlling the ball better, and scoring...thereby keeping our D off the field while possibly giving them leads for a change, unlike the first part of last season. For me, our O is so much different than the beginning of last season

And though I am not an expert, perhaps the new coaching last year took a while to take hold.

Regardless, I am feeling optimistic about various aspects of our game, including the potential that ole Von and young Chubb will have. One has something to prove, from a lost year perspective and the other from a "don't give up on me yet" angle.

ill be surprised if Von has 10 sacks this season....very surprised......

Im not so sure Von isnít still elite. He just has a tendency to pack it in when he thinks his team is beat.

Wasnít Von playing hurt last year?

I have some faith in Von. Last year, he did get selected to the pro bowl, one way or another. Now he has Casey and his young partner Chubb back. And as mentioned, I have a feeling he has something to prove....for one thing, he just got over the coronavirus. Lots of motivation, and some noise about him not being the guy he once was. All motivating factors! Plus he knows he has an O this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Champ>NFL View Post
    Wasnít Von playing hurt last year?
    Maybe hurt feelings.

From my perspective, we haven't had enough interior pressure or the situational pressure of playing from behind on the scoreboard or down and distance the last few years to have a deadly edge rush. It's not enough to have 2 great edge rushers and expect sack records to come. We've seen plenty of examples of teams neutralizing both Von and Chubb, especially in key moments. Hopefully Casey and one of the youngsters can put offenses in bad spots and disrupt a QB stepping up when they have to pass. I'm worried the interior will be a weak point again. And the offense/ST's need to put some points on the board. If we see stronger interior play and more points on the board, I think Von and Chubb will thrive.

Quote Originally Posted by Bootleg View Post
    Another thing that stands out to me on this play is the unselfish nature of Derek Wolfe, who intentionally occupies both the RG and RT to give Von a clean path to the QB.

Quote Originally Posted by Bootleg View Post
    Another thing that stands out to me on this play is the unselfish nature of Derek Wolfe, who intentionally occupies both the RG and RT to give Von a clean path to the QB.
    Wolfe made an unnecessary move to the RT who was making no attempt to get Miller. He did his job by taking on the guard so Miller could go inside. If Wolfe just simply tries to get past the guard, which he eventually did, he might have been able to get the sack.

Hopefully the line is improved so that the Broncos can get consistent pressure, including key moments in the game.
    Negs are Cowardly Acts of Nonsense. I wonít Back Down.
    No Matter How Stupid Your Comments Are!
    Still Not Backing Down!!!

Though I made this about Von, one of the best players in our history, and Chubb, a young and likely emerging star - who is healthy and ready to pick up from his rookie season....but in the end this is more about what they will do with what I believe is a solid D that will play even better because we have an O, who will very likely have positive time of possession and scoring potential. The O improvement alone will be a boost to a D that has been trying to win games for the last few years, mostly on their own. That is too much to ask of any D.

Can we get a better nick name for this duo or our defense. Sackville reminds of sacksonville and I like the second better honestly. If we have an elite defense I would like it to be called the return of the orange crush

Quote Originally Posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
    Can we get a better nick name for this duo or our defense. Sackville reminds of sacksonville and I like the second better honestly. If we have an elite defense I would like it to be called the return of the orange crush
    Not sure if you thought I meant "Sackville" as a name....I just used it as part of the title, as in, lots of sacks.

Quote Originally Posted by broncolee View Post
    Wolfe made an unnecessary move to the RT who was making no attempt to get Miller. He did his job by taking on the guard so Miller could go inside. If Wolfe just simply tries to get past the guard, which he eventually did, he might have been able to get the sack.

Hopefully the line is improved so that the Broncos can get consistent pressure, including key moments in the game.
    The RG was supposed to pass Wolfe off to the RT, Wolfe did right to keep the RG engaged long enough to come free. Unfortunately Von couldnít get the sack and Wolfe couldnít clean it up. Casey can do similar things on those stunts so we shouldnít lose anything there. But Jones improvement can be a real difference maker along the dline. He may not occupy blockers the same way Wolfe or Casey can but his burst off the snap can put a lot of pressure on the people blocking him. Agim offers similar athletic ability as well. Walker contains better and probably gets a sack there or at least doesnít allow Brisset to roll out.

All 5 of our DEs bring something to the table. Casey can blow the pocket up and put an olineman in the QBís face or get off a block quickly for a sack, same with Shelby Harris who I think got caught in a bad situation (he still played really well) last season with some extra weight to play NT. I expect Harris to look much quicker this season. Agim and Jones bring a great burst off the snap and a relentless motor to the QB. Walker is just slow and steady and finds himself in the right place at the right time by reading and reacting and constantly fighting if he canít win immediately. Thereís always room for guys like that on a roster although Covington will likely push him for that last spot.

Von will get another crack at competing for DPOY with this dline. I think heíll be rejuvenated this season knowing that the team is close to turning that corner. Chubb will be a question mark coming off the injury but I have a feeling he will answer that question very early in the season. Depth behind them seems solid, but still green. Attaochu hasnít developed much behind his speed rush but heís solid at that. Reed is all motor, leverage and speed. Hollins actually showed a real impressive burst off the snap when he mixed in at OLB. Hopefully they stick him to just one position so he can focus on that because he has some real talent.

So Von had the 10th best "Disruption Rate" in 2019. Pretty good, considering....

https://www.nfl.com/news/myles-garre...uptors-of-2019

Von's Assessment:

Disruption rate: 14.4%. Sack rate: 1.9%. Total disruptions: 60. Sacks: 8.

Surprised? We are too, a little. Miller posted his first single-digit sack season since 2013 and only recorded 46 tackles. While not as dominant as he's been for much of his career, Miller still made an impact over the stretch of his 791 total defensive snaps in 2019. His 52 QB pressures were 29 more than the next closest Bronco (Derek Wolfe), proving the three-time All-Pro was still the man in Denver. And it's an achievement for Miller, who turned 31 in March, to remain one of the league's most efficient disruptors, posting a better rate than the likes of Joey Bosa (14.0%), DeMarcus Lawrence (13.9%), Yannick Ngakoue (13.8%) and T.J. Watt (13.4%).

A closing note on Miller's success over the last four seasons: His 235 QB pressures since 2016 lead all edge defenders and are second in the NFL only to Aaron Donald. His QB pressure rate during that same span (14%) ranks No. 1 across the league (min. 1,000 pass rushes).

Here's the top 10:

1 - Myles Garrett 18.5% (remember it's the "rate" of disruption, therefore missing games is more about totals than rate)

2 - Za'Darius Smith 17.5

3 - Robert Quinn 17.2

4 - Nick Bosa 16.4

5 - Josh Allen 16.2

6 - Aaron Donald 15.7

7 - Shaq Barrett 15.4

8 - Dont'a Hightower 15.0

9 - Adrian Clayborn 14.5

10 - Von Miller 14.4