If Jeudy does his best work from the slot....

Then why did we take K.J. Hamler?

Also do you think since he matched up on a lot of safeties and slot corners in college it will be hard for Jeudy to get separation on the outside on the next level?

Just a couple of question that have been on my mind. I think he has the potential to be really good by the way.
    -Bronco in UT

While I both agree and disagree with many posts in this thread I have to lean towards champ on this one. [B][COLOR="DarkOrange"]Jay really needs to learn how to manage the game better, and also to learn that you don't have to go for the big play [U]EVERY[/U] time on every drive[/COLOR][/B]. There is something to be said to check the ball down and live to fight another day. -Great Post Cut the Excuses out please. sigh...

Helll of a post

So we have someone who can kill it in special teams and also take the top of the defense. He might very well be the second fastest player in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    So we have someone who can kill it in special teams and also take the top of the defense. He might very well be the second fastest player in the draft.
    He might have been the fastest. He could have beat ruggs forty words around he was running a 4.25 pretty consistent at Penn state

The Broncos needed to get more explosive playmakers. Now they just added two of them. Good problem to have IMO

Shurmur will be expected to get them open with schemes and routes. Imagine Hamler in motion to Jeudyís side. Or a triple formation with Sutton. What does the defense do? And still needing to worry about TEs and RBs.

Iím excited with the possibilities. No doubt playing physical will work sometimes, CBs are talented too. But the Broncos are about to enter a realm of making defenses pay for their mistakes with big plays. An element the Broncos have been missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Champ>NFL View Post

Also do you think since he matched up on a lot of safeties and slot corners in college it will be hard for Jeudy to get separation on the outside on the next level?

Just a couple of question that have been on my mind. I think he has the potential to be really good by the way.
    I'm not a huge fan of Jeudy, I think he will struggle initially. Like you said, he faced players with poor technique a lot in college. In the NFL he will see some guys who have faced nuanced route runners for years. His play strength will be a concern. I think he has high end 2, and low end 1 potential if he can develop physically. Hamilton brings a different dynamic that we don't have, and that is flat out speed. I will be intrigued by which personnel grouping we will use as well. I think Hamler will be a match-up piece and played all over the field. I would also love to see how we factor in the 2 TEs as well. If any of Jeudy, Hamler, Fant, or Michael O gets matched up on a LB it's a huge play.

Quote Originally Posted by Champ>NFL View Post

How are you defining Slot? If, by Slot, you mean an off receiver who isn't the first outside guy, then there are formations using 11 personnel where both Jeudy and Hamler can be Slot. Offensive terminologies differ. It's common for the Split End to be designated X, the Tight End to be Y and the off receiver to be Z. When a second off receiver is added, there are a variety of names for that position including 20, H, Slot, etc. For the purpose of playcalling, each position in each formation must have a name and two positions can't have the same one.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    How are you defining Slot? If, by Slot, you mean an off receiver who isn't the first outside guy, then there are formations using 11 personnel where both Jeudy and Hamler can be Slot. Offensive terminologies differ. It's common for the Split End to be designated X, the Tight End to be Y and the off receiver to be Z. When a second off receiver is added, there are a variety of names for that position including 20, H, Slot, etc. For the purpose of playcalling, each position in each formation must have a name and two positions can't have the same one.
    Agree. I think there are a lot of combo possibilities using 11 personnel and hopefully Shurmer can be creative with this. I think there are times that Fant and Gordon are going to be in the slot too. I expect people to be moving all over lining up with a high degree of variability.

Speaking of the WRs, Iím really interested in what Denver does behind Sutton, Jeudy and Hamler (not saying that this will be our top three out of the gate but I think itís safe to say all three are a lock for the roster). You got Cleveland, Hamilton, Patrick, Winfree and Spencer sitting there, each kind of backs up a different person in terms of the physical attributes. Which way do you think we go? Do you think Patrick is more of a number 1 backup? Hamilton was coming on later with some good chemistry with Lock. Spencer has ST contribution. Winfree is only one year out and they were high on him. I can see Cleveland going practice squad. Canít imagine with our TE and RB rooms being so crowded that we keep extra WRs. Or maybe we do with the way we drafted. Thoughts?
    To permit irresponsible authority is to sell disaster. (Heinlein)...like Broncos season tickets!

Quote Originally Posted by Humberg View Post
    Agree. I think there are a lot of combo possibilities using 11 personnel and hopefully Shurmer can be creative with this. I think there are times that Fant and Gordon are going to be in the slot too. I expect people to be moving all over lining up with a high degree of variability.

Speaking of the WRs, I’m really interested in what Denver does behind Sutton, Jeudy and Hamler (not saying that this will be our top three out of the gate but I think it’s safe to say all three are a lock for the roster). You got Cleveland, Hamilton, Patrick, Winfree and Spencer sitting there, each kind of backs up a different person in terms of the physical attributes. Which way do you think we go? Do you think Patrick is more of a number 1 backup? Hamilton was coming on later with some good chemistry with Lock. Spencer has ST contribution. Winfree is only one year out and they were high on him. I can see Cleveland going practice squad. Can’t imagine with our TE and RB rooms being so crowded that we keep extra WRs. Or maybe we do with the way we drafted. Thoughts?
    In terms of providing similar style of depth for the WRs, it looks to me like Sutton/Patrick X, Jeudy/Hamilton Z, Hamler/Spencer H/Slot. Winfree and Cleveland would be the best of the rest, I guess.

Fant, Okwuegbunam, Vannett and Beck seem to me to be well positioned to make the team. Heuerman might be traded or released. Butt and Fumagalli have had injuries. Fort could be a candidate for PS. If Vannett is on the field, I think he would almost always be Y (i.e., tight) If Beck is on the field, I think he would mostly be 20/H/Slot at Wing, FB in the I or in motion. Fant and Okwuegbunam will probably be seen on, tight or split as well as off. They would probably be the on receiver in Bunch.

Bill Walsh used to line up a WR in the backfield in order to get a favorable matchup especially if D was in Cover 1/0. If five WRs are active on gameday, we might occasionally see 00 personnel Spread Empty, or Spread with one WR in the backfield.

At the other end of the spectrum could be 11 personnel with Sutton X, Vannett Y, Jeudy Z, Beck H and Gordon at 30/RB. That one looks like a good package for either run or pass. Might even bring more defenders to the box which could open some routes on PAP.

Depending on how things go, a common 11 personnel package might be Sutton X, Fant Y, Jeudy Z, Hamler 20/H/Slot and Gordon/Lindsay. There are a lot of ways to line that group up. Jeudy and Hamler could be in a Trey look on the tight side. Hamler could be in the Slot on the Split side. Both X and Y could be split with Jeudy and Hamler in the slots. Fant could be wide with Jeudy and Hamler in Bunch. It's a personnel package that could put a lot of pressure on the D. It could be spread and require enough defenders, so that running lanes would be available for Gordon/Lindsay.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    In terms of providing similar style of depth for the WRs, it looks to me like Sutton/Patrick X, Jeudy/Hamilton Z, Hamler/Spencer H/Slot. Winfree and Cleveland would be the best of the rest, I guess.

Fant, Okwuegbunam, Vannett and Beck seem to me to be well positioned to make the team. Heuerman might be traded or released. Butt and Fumagalli have had injuries. Fort could be a candidate for PS. If Vannett is on the field, I think he would almost always be Y (i.e., tight) If Beck is on the field, I think he would mostly be 20/H/Slot at Wing, FB in the I or in motion. Fant and Okwuegbunam will probably be seen on, tight or split as well as off. They would probably be the on receiver in Bunch.

Bill Walsh used to line up a WR in the backfield in order to get a favorable matchup especially if D was in Cover 1/0. If five WRs are active on gameday, we might occasionally see 00 personnel Spread Empty, or Spread with one WR in the backfield.

At the other end of the spectrum could be 11 personnel with Sutton X, Vannett Y, Jeudy Z, Beck H and Gordon at 30/RB. That one looks like a good package for either run or pass. Might even bring more defenders to the box which could open some routes on PAP.

Depending on how things go, a common 11 personnel package might be Sutton X, Fant Y, Jeudy Z, Hamler 20/H/Slot and Gordon/Lindsay. There are a lot of ways to line that group up. Jeudy and Hamler could be in a Trey look on the tight side. Hamler could be in the Slot on the Split side. Both X and Y could be split with Jeudy and Hamler in the slots. Fant could be wide with Jeudy and Hamler in Bunch. It's a personnel package that could put a lot of pressure on the D. It could be spread and require enough defenders, so that running lanes would be available for Gordon/Lindsay.
    Awesome, thoughtful post. Thanks for that. On paper itís a lot of possibilities. This has me completely excited for this offense.

Also just an observation. I canít remember the last time these boards were as uniformly positive as they are now. Itís pretty cool.

I been watching a lot of the draft videos on our picks. It seems to me that Hamler's speed combined with Jeudy's route running+quickness+speed opens up a lot of options with both of them playing slot+outside. Neither will play the outside or slot exclusively as their skill sets allow them each to play both positions.

Not a NFL OC by any stretch here but it seems to me that Jeudy's route running and physical tools is the key. Apparently according to some scout videos Jeudy has the ability to run routes that less than 10 NFL WRs can run effectively. That combined with Hemler speed + Fant + Sutton should pretty much have defenses going through all kinds of problems trying to cover all those guys. Combine that with Gordon+Lindsay out of the backfield and I think we can create a lot of mis-match opportunities.

If I come across the videos on youtube again that break this down I will try to remember to post them here. Of course that is just one person's opinion like always on the internet. It is still up to the coaches to put it together, teach the players and then the players need to execute.

Think we will finally have an offense in the top half of scoring in the NFL next season. We will be young and that comes with good and bad things.
    A good plan put into motion today is better than the ideal plan that is always coming sometime in the future.

I could not find the exact video youtube brought to me about Jeudy's route running but if one does a youtube search with key words "jeudy route running" there are 10 videos that go into how his route running sets him apart.

This video is from the Denver Broncos talking about how Drew Lock won the draft and the effect Hamler and other playmakers will have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEYNqRAWTCM

A good plan put into motion today is better than the ideal plan that is always coming sometime in the future.