How Much Better (or even worse) Would We Get Along Face to Face?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CanDB
    Football Immortal
    • Mar 2008

How Much Better (or even worse) Would We Get Along Face to Face?

If I don't take my time, I can easily be misinterpreted, here, there and everywhere. I was considered to have good writing skills in my career, as I got better at it over the years...but mainly because it was based on reports/business plans&cases/memos/etc. that I took extra time with. I learned the mechanics of writing. And of course, there are formats that are expected in some companies. Also, it's a matter of learning your audience, what they know and don't know, and preparing accordingly. You can not write the same thing to two different people and always expect them to understand it the same way. Their backgrounds, knowledge, familiarity and so on, can alter interpretation.

Here, minus face to face gesturing, can lead to misinterpretation. The emojis help, but they can be used in ways that do not always convey the message. I think some of us for example, use them to make something sound a little better than we actually meant. I joked about this in a thread once upon a time, where I could say....."are you crazy?" and end with , and I might get away with it. It was in fun. Generally though, they do add value.

But I wonder if some of us were face to face and conducted the same conversations, is it more likely we would get along better? I think so. I can tell that my little jokes don't always get across for example, whereas face to face I would probably smile or wink or whatever. And in face to face, you can quickly correct a bit of a downward spiral, by trying to bring things back on track. Whereas here, once we lose someone in some discussions, it is hard to get them back easily, as others may jump in, and so forth. Even the fact that you can change topics with a person, face to face, can take you to areas of common ground, and help diffuse differences. Say I was "debating" with someone, and then we paused for a coffee and we share family info, or sports, or vacations, etc,...we may realize that we have a lot in common, thereby making our differences less important. How many family and friends do you have that you share at least one item of disagreement? Often we kid one another about it, because we can.

Some of us go the route of pms, in order to clarify and try to ease the differences. I find it often works. Both ways. In fact, most pms I get give me a better appreciation for who folks truly are. One on one. No peer stuff. As in, "hey, he and I are buds, but I sort of disagree with him on this one." I don't blame folks for being uneasy to talk more openly about certain feelings, publicly.

Having said all of the above, there will be folks that just can't work things out. That's life. :thumb:

(note: I didn't identify where face to face could be worse, but I am sure I could. Like if a person kept getting into my little bubble, as in, move back a little dude!!)
  • 58Miller
    Football Immortal
    • Jul 2013

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
    If I don't take my time, I can easily be misinterpreted, here, there and everywhere. I was considered to have good writing skills in my career, as I got better at it over the years...but mainly because it was based on reports/business plans&cases/memos/etc. that I took extra time with. I learned the mechanics of writing. And of course, there are formats that are expected in some companies. Also, it's a matter of learning your audience, what they know and don't know, and preparing accordingly. You can not write the same thing to two different people and always expect them to understand it the same way. Their backgrounds, knowledge, familiarity and so on, can alter interpretation.

Here, minus face to face gesturing, can lead to misinterpretation. The emojis help, but they can be used in ways that do not always convey the message. I think some of us for example, use them to make something sound a little better than we actually meant. I joked about this in a thread once upon a time, where I could say....."are you crazy?" and end with , and I might get away with it. It was in fun. Generally though, they do add value.

But I wonder if some of us were face to face and conducted the same conversations, is it more likely we would get along better? I think so. I can tell that my little jokes don't always get across for example, whereas face to face I would probably smile or wink or whatever. And in face to face, you can quickly correct a bit of a downward spiral, by trying to bring things back on track. Whereas here, once we lose someone in some discussions, it is hard to get them back easily, as others may jump in, and so forth. Even the fact that you can change topics with a person, face to face, can take you to areas of common ground, and help diffuse differences. Say I was "debating" with someone, and then we paused for a coffee and we share family info, or sports, or vacations, etc,...we may realize that we have a lot in common, thereby making our differences less important. How many family and friends do you have that you share at least one item of disagreement? Often we kid one another about it, because we can.

Some of us go the route of pms, in order to clarify and try to ease the differences. I find it often works. Both ways. In fact, most pms I get give me a better appreciation for who folks truly are. One on one. No peer stuff. As in, "hey, he and I are buds, but I sort of disagree with him on this one." I don't blame folks for being uneasy to talk more openly about certain feelings, publicly.

Having said all of the above, there will be folks that just can't work things out. That's life. :thumb:

(note: I didn't identify where face to face could be worse, but I am sure I could. Like if a person kept getting into my little bubble, as in, move back a little dude!!)
    I think me and you would get along even better face to face, I could learn a lot from somebody as level headed you. I feel the same way about Peanut.
    I would also really enjoy to talk football, mainly me listening to samparnel, dude has an awesome football knowledge.

I cant say everyone would like me any better, but I do believe a face to face conversation is a better representation of me then my 4th grade level writing ability.
    sigpic

Comment

• CanDB
      Football Immortal
      • Mar 2008

Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
      I think me and you would get along even better face to face, I could learn a lot from somebody as level headed you. I feel the same way about Peanut.
      I would also really enjoy to talk football, mainly me listening to samparnel, dude has an awesome football knowledge.

I cant say everyone would like me any better, but I do believe a face to face conversation is a better representation of me then my 4th grade level writing ability.
      We've not always agreed on every little thing, but then again, I'm in the equation. But I am pretty convinced we would get along very well! Love to meet ya!!

Ha ha...4th grade, as if!!

(I have told Peanut a few times that it would be fun to meet her over coffee...make that tea or coffee for her. Sam would be good to meet as well. I won't even try to match him with "X's and O's"!!

I would love to meet a number of others here.)
      Last edited by CanDB; 05-02-2020, 01:55 PM.

Comment

• CanDB
        Football Immortal
        • Mar 2008

Do you ever wonder if the person you interact with, say in a place like this, is completely different than you expected in real life?

Comment

• Assassin27
          Captain
          • Mar 2009

Do you ever wonder if the person you interact with, say in a place like this, is completely different than you expected in real life?
          I do. You never call tell what a person is really like behind closed doors or behind the computer screen.
          sigpic2020 HOFER!!!!
          Adopted Bronco: Justin Simmons 2017,2018 ,2019
          PATS FANS COME TO THIS BOARD BECAUSE THEY RESPECT AND APPRECIATE US

Comment

• CanDB
            Football Immortal
            • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Assassin27 View Post
            I do. You never call tell what a person is really like behind closed doors or behind the computer screen.
            Lets just say, although many seem to be really nice, I would not count on them to get me out of a jam at 3 in the morning.

Comment

• samparnell
              Soy Capitan Meshpoint
              • Nov 2007

Lets just say, although many seem to be really nice, I would not count on them to get me out of a jam at 3 in the morning.
              You never know.
              "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• CanDB
                Football Immortal
                • Mar 2008

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                You never know.
                Ha ha....I like to go with "for sure" bets.

Comment

• FL BRONCO
                  Traveling Mod
                  • Mar 2010

I think it might depend on the subject matter. I believe many of us would get along great talking about the nfl and the Broncos. While we don't always share the same POV, we do share the same passion. On other subjects, we may not get along or talk at all.
                  My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

• Assassin27
                    Captain
                    • Mar 2009

LOL...me either!!!
                    sigpic2020 HOFER!!!!
                    Adopted Bronco: Justin Simmons 2017,2018 ,2019
                    PATS FANS COME TO THIS BOARD BECAUSE THEY RESPECT AND APPRECIATE US

Comment

• CanDB
                      Football Immortal
                      • Mar 2008

Originally posted by FL BRONCO View Post
                      I think it might depend on the subject matter. I believe many of us would get along great talking about the nfl and the Broncos. While we don't always share the same POV, we do share the same passion. On other subjects, we may not get along or talk at all.
                      Thx FL....you make so much sense...except on the topics you disagree with me on!!!!

Comment

• CanDB
                        Football Immortal
                        • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Assassin27 View Post
                        LOL...me either!!!
                        Though if reached I might say "walk it off" or "take a deep breath" or "you can google that"

Comment

• Peanut
                          ModNut
                          • Jan 2007

Originally posted by 58Miller View Post

We've not always agreed on every little thing, but then again, I'm in the equation. But I am pretty convinced we would get along very well! Love to meet ya!!

Ha ha...4th grade, as if!!

(I have told Peanut a few times that it would be fun to meet her over coffee...make that tea or coffee for her. Sam would be good to meet as well. I won't even try to match him with "X's and O's"!!

I would love to meet a number of others here.)
                          It would be interesting to meet up. What stories we could share.

Originally posted by FL BRONCO View Post
                          Agree. A common passion helps.

I've met up with some women from a racing MB. For several years, a few ladies from NY and I (with hubby) would get together at Dover. Always enjoyable.
                          Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month

Lupus Awareness Month

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

• CanDB
                            Football Immortal
                            • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Peanut View Post
                            It would be interesting to meet up. What stories we could share.

Agree. A common passion helps.

I've met up with some women from a racing MB. For several years, a few ladies from NY and I (with hubby) would get together at Dover. Always enjoyable.
                            I can almost guarantee that folks like you and me would come away better for it. We would realize we have much more in common about life in general, share stories about ourselves/our lives/our families. And we would probably make light of some of our MB views, but in a more humorous way. Maybe that's how we should all approach this place, as in, we were going to meet up the following day. Maybe we would ease off the accelerator at times.

Comment

• jazzbodog
                              Football Immortal
                              • Aug 2007

Absolutely! I'm sure there would be some I really enjoy, some I really dislike and then there would be a fair amount in between that I could take or leave, depending on my mood and their mood that day.
                              Utah Bronco Freak

Comment

Working...
                              X