Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Netane Muti

I think the OL will be one interesting things in 2020 and a challenge to the coaches. There is a good amount of talent but the challenge of some play issues and potential injury issues.

Me I love guys like Muti in football. Guys who play with an edge and fierce way that is fun to watch. He hopefully will not see the field much in 2020 but I can not wait to see him play.

Quote Originally Posted by samparnell View Post
    Dalton Risner played four full seasons on K-State's O-Line. He made 13 starts at C in his first year and 12 starts in each of the next three years at RT, being named first team All-Conference each year and second team All-American his last year. In Dalton's rookie season, Hall of Famer Mike Munchak taught him to play LG, a position he had played for twelve years and at which he went to the Pro Bowl nine times. If Ja'Wuan James couldn't play, putting Risner at RT is probably something that has already occurred to Munchak. They probably didn't try it last year because Dalton was learning LG, doing a good job there, and the interior depth was almost as questionable as the T depth was.

If Netane Muti is healthy along with what we assume will be the five (i.e., Bolles, Risner, Cushenberry, Glasgow, James), there isn't much doubt in my mind that he will be number six. O-Line coaches' rule of thumb is start the best five shuffled to their best spots. Muti played LG at Fresno State and Munchak is just the guy to help him become an NFL G. If James can't go and the choices are Dalton, Eli and Jake, I'm goin' "Route 66 Risner". If Muti is healthy and active on game day it would make that shuffle a viable option. It wouldn't surprise me if Dalton has already taken some practice reps at RT.

It's been recently reported that Muti was cleared by doctors at the Combine in which he had limited participation (44 bench reps), and was scheduled to participate in Fresno State's pro day, but IDK if that happened as it was to be 17 March. If we have football this year, it will be very interesting to see how Muti does. Even with his injury history, some scouts had given him a third round grade. If he makes Denver's roster and eventually gets on the field, that will be a steal in the sixth round.
    Nice. Thanks for that info on Risner. I really do hope Muti is ready to go. He looks like a beast.

Quote Originally Posted by the0rangecrush View Post
    Here is some pertinent info for Muti

"Per source, Fresno St iOL Netane Muti was medically cleared during the NFLís formal recheck process today that was recorded, sent to teams.

Iím told the doctor didnít find any issues with Mutiís old Achilles/Lisfranc injuries and indicated reinjury risk to be very low."
    That's what I like to hear!!

I'm not an OL line expert by any means, but when I watch Muti's highlights and read his scouting reports it's hard to think is isn't worth giving him a try at FB/TE in short yardage. He seems to excel at finding players and taking them OUT.

Just tell him to go between the T and G and take out the first guy he sees.

I think it comes down to Muti vs Cush to see who starts with Glascow being the wildcard that can slide between C and G. Without more info I'd probably be cautious with Muti and give him more time time heal and learn and keep him engaged with a few plays a week at FB TE.

But if Muti is a better G than Cush is a C, start Muti at RG and slide Glascow to C. If Cush is a better C than Meti is a G, then play Cush at C and Glasgow at RG. (That shouldn't be too hard to follow. LOL)

Anyone else seeing Muti as having an issue with penalties?

Don't get me wrong, I love the highlights of this young man and how he plays. If he can be and remain healthy he could be an amazing draft steal..

My question is he tends to put hands on quite a bit. Some of those two hand rag doll tosses would be flagged for holding. Same as some of his borderline late or blindside hits. NFL has been calling things a lot tighter in recent years.

Can he or does he even have to tone it down in the NFL? Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Z View Post
    Could a healthy Muti play nose or defensive tackle?

I know heís not a defender and if healthy, perhaps to valuable on offense but with his nasty aggression and mauling attitude, could he fit there if needed?
    If you want him to play defensive line today? The answer is probably no. Just too much technique needed that he doesn't have at this point.

If you get in a pinch and need o-linemen to play d-line then your best bet would probably be to line him up in a gap and just cutting the opposition o-line every play. Try to create a pile that eliminates holes.

While Muti dominated and graded out highly as a freshman, his major injuries since then may likely have stunted his development as an OG. I think itís perfect that heís coming in as a reserve so he can continue to heal up with no pressure to rush back to the field to start, as well as growing his game and refining his technique under Coach Munchakís tutelage.

The red flag is his injuries, 100%. His freshman tape alone garnered a 2nd round projection. I donít know if the injuries themselves were freak accidents or a reflection of his lack of durability. He had separate Achilles injuries on both legs, one in 2016 and one in 2018. Then Muti had a Lisfranc foot injury last year. After his incredible 2017 season, he only played a total of 5 games until declaring for the draft.

As it stands right now, thereís no easy path for Muti to start. Heís a natural OG. Unless Cushenberry flames out early at center, forcing Glasgow to move over... then that RG spot would be open for Muti. He is a high-upside reserve for now and the near future.

How often do offense/defense position switches really work out?

Ben Garland comes to mind as a great example. Came into the league as a dlineman (1 or 2 seasons?) and then made the switch and created a nice career as a quality olineman. Any others come to mind?

Muti is going to be fun to watch. At worst he is a quality G backup. At best he earns a starting job and Risner gets moved out to T.

I also like the idea of him leading the way on short down or goal line situations. The young man defines the term "mauler"!

Quote Originally Posted by FR Tim View Post
    Anyone else seeing Muti as having an issue with penalties?

Don't get me wrong, I love the highlights of this young man and how he plays. If he can be and remain healthy he could be an amazing draft steal..

My question is he tends to put hands on quite a bit. Some of those two hand rag doll tosses would be flagged for holding. Same as some of his borderline late or blindside hits. NFL has been calling things a lot tighter in recent years.

Can he or does he even have to tone it down in the NFL? Thoughts?
    I would agree. I saw many times, from his videos he would be guilty of holding in the NFL, of course many times officials don't see it or don't call it either. Not sure about the ~late hits or blindsides, he certainly has an aggressive style that might need to be toned down in the NFL.